Convincing My Parents to Race

Dropbear
3/5/2018 7:29pm
I get your parents. Keep MX riding for fun. Race MTB or BMX until you can go it alone, learn some mad crossover skills and get fit and become the next McGrath.
KooyaKooya
3/5/2018 7:35pm
peelout wrote:
why do you want your parents to race?
^^ THIS ^^

If your parents get hurt racing, you're going to have to pick up the slack around the house, which will definitely cut into your riding time.
3/5/2018 7:47pm
kb228 wrote:
No is no dude. Your parents own you until youre 18. If you get hurt they have medical bills to pay. Insurance doesnt cover racing accidents...
No is no dude. Your parents own you until youre 18. If you get hurt they have medical bills to pay. Insurance doesnt cover racing accidents. Since you work, id assume you have some kind of idea of what money is worth. If you break a bone youll have thousands and thousands in medical bills. Its not a $100 doctor office visit. Your dad has to pay that. If he doesnt want to risk it then tough shit. Turn 18 and risk that yourself.
kkawboy14 wrote:
Insurance does cover racing accident/injuries
PFitzG38 wrote:
I’m an insurance agent. If you know of an accident plan that will cover motorized competition on the west coast I’d love to hear about it...
I’m an insurance agent. If you know of an accident plan that will cover motorized competition on the west coast I’d love to hear about it. I’ve been looking for years - I could retire. I think you need to read the fine print on your policy. Insurance fraud is no joke!
I had Aetna when I broke my neck, shoulder, collarbone, 5 ribs, and punctured a lung. Since I was Life Flighted from the track to the hospital, I’m quite confident that Aetna knew I was racing when I got hurt. My out of pocket was $8k, but the flight alone was $48k, so I have nothing but good things to say about Aetna.
Lightning78
3/5/2018 8:09pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Every insurance I have ever owned. Especially since Obamacare change things.
I'd check again... I just broke my right wrist in October and was denied (wasn't racing and this was the first time I wasn't covered). READ...
I'd check again... I just broke my right wrist in October and was denied (wasn't racing and this was the first time I wasn't covered). READ THE FINE PRINT is all I will say and stay up to date on your policy changes if they happen. It was a $22,000.00 lesson that was learned 4 months to late.

Racing is on a whole different level of risk then fun riding. Its not just staying within your limit but the guy next to you as well. There are always new guys in the field and accidents happen, bringing your buddies into your accident isn't an uncommon problem with moto.
I would tell that insurance comapny to GET FUCKED!!! No disrespect to the dude above that works for one but insurance companies are the bastards of the corporate world! You or your company pays them and ABSURD amount of money every month and the only thing insurance companies work really hard is duping people with interpretation of their "fine print" and spend as much of their resources as they can to try and NOT cover things....theyre in a business that has calculated risk amd thats their business model they assume that when they go into business and when its time to cover you, in some cases such as yourself theyre happy to take your money but sure dont feel they have to cover you? Ive always had my riding/racing injuries covered ...even showing up to the hospital in my gear but one time w/o my consent someone called in a helicopter bec i was in the back of carnegie with a BADLY dislocated shoulder and the insurance compant fought covering the heli ride tooth and nail. I didnt request the chopper, it showed up so how is that my fault?
Across the board their diversified risk for covering dirtbike riders/racers is miniscule and theyll try to raise your rates so basically theyre financing the injury FOR you. Thats swell of them god forbid that ASSUMED risk they take starting up a health insurace company and try as hard as they can to stick the paying customer with the cost...so what good awre they in that sense?
I know some will disagree but they make ungodly amounts of money and try very hard to keep it when their business model is to cover people in case of an unforseen accident. If they dont like it then maybe move into a different less profitable sector ...oh god forbid!
When my Mom got cancer (recovered now) her insurance company made it difficult as hell to cover her treatment and it wasnt induced by her health habits it was "woman cancer" and it made me sick to my stomach to hear them peddle their "were not covering your treatment" bullshit. She followed all the rules and guidelines and they still made it ridiculously tough.

The Shop

Lightning78
3/5/2018 8:09pm
Oops i got carried away again but this is a passionate subject close to my heart
Ted722
3/5/2018 8:10pm
peelout wrote:
why do you want your parents to race?
post of the day!
3/5/2018 8:15pm
I was very much like you at 16, I grew up riding, loved it, but around your age I really wanted to start racing. My parents said no for years, but I had finally convinced them to allow me to get out there. I started off taking it easy, going to open practices, going to Vet clubs and racing on very low key races (3-4 of us total on the line) this kind of stuff was pretty fun, super relaxed and so forth. The next year I wanted to really race, so I managed to convince them to let me race an actual series (40 riders on the line, sanctioned series etc). At this point my parents started becoming okay with the idea, but never forgot to tell me to be careful and remind me of what could happen; I always ignored that thinking I'd never get hurt. The following year I raced almost a full series, dominated the C class, and moved myself into B class by the end of the season. Started getting top 10's in my first couple races in B. Everything was going really well, I was fit, riding smooth, on top of the world. Fast forward to this past year (2017 season). I had a really rough start to the year, lots of first turn crashes, near last finishes, and finally mid-summer I was getting back into the groove until disaster struck. 4th wide down a freshly smooth straightaway, I got bad head shake and got tossed like a rag doll. Compression fracture my L2 vertebrae by 30%, require a spinal fusion, 2 rods and 5 screws in my spine, with a 6 month recovery time. I am only 20 now, and will have back pain for the rest of my life. Things happen very fast, and this is exactly why your parents don't want you to race. It sounds like you already have a lot going for you, good grades and a bright future. You are lucky enough to be riding practice days at the track and enjoying yourself. That's really what it's all about. "Going Fast" and trying to get somewhere is over rated. Sure racing can be fun, but it adds many expenses and many risks over leisurely riding. Just go out there, be smart, and enjoy a day on your dirt bike. On that note, I don't ever regret racing, I've met many friends, have lots of good memories, and those are things that I'll cherish forever. However, all of those things can be achieved by going out for practice days, making friends at the track, and setting smart realistic goals for yourself.
Anyways, good luckWink
pmshortt2
3/5/2018 8:27pm
Asimo wrote:
Health plans here are not about health care. It is about profits. I've had health plans that disallowed any claims from any sport deemed "Extreme" BMX...
Health plans here are not about health care. It is about profits.

I've had health plans that disallowed any claims from any sport deemed "Extreme" BMX, Skiing, Snowboarding, you name it, and anything "During Competition" Oddly, Football is OK and if a 300 Lb linebacker breaks you in half and rips your head off, it is OK

Canada and other Social medicine countries dont have this problem.

The only Americans that dont have this problem are those on Welfare(Medicaid) and VA. Everythings covered, and no bills, just like Canada.

Insurance Companies look for any and all ways to deny paying anything. If they find a reason, the bill is yours.

People ask why Ferrandis headed back to France to get checked out and fixed up.........Im guessing to avoid having to pay a deductable here, or the whole bill.
VA as in Virginia? What’s different about insurance in Virginia compared to the other states?
Ted722
3/5/2018 8:34pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2018 8:45pm
You know, you're pretty darn lucky. You get to ride your dirt bike. You have parents that care for your well being. When the time's right, it'll be right. Many in here have raced for a long long time. It's a great thing, but so is riding. Hopefully, you'll be able to enjoy both for a long time to come.

I used to go riding with my soccer coach who happened to race MX. I was 17. I just enjoyed being a high school kid who played soccer and rode dirt bikes when there was time. Never thought about racing. One time we went out and just out the blue, he said "have you ever thought about racing?". I went home that day and brought it up to my parents. My Dad was in. He raced cars and boats when he was younger. My Mom was super nervous, but she eventually was ok with it.

If they both said no, I would have been fine with it. Like I said above, when the time's right, it'll be right and that might not be until after you move out. Worth the wait.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
3/5/2018 8:36pm
pmshortt2 wrote:
VA as in Virginia? What’s different about insurance in Virginia compared to the other states?
I'm pretty certain he's referring to Veterans Affairs not the State of Virginia.
3/5/2018 10:59pm
raced motocross without insurance from 17-24....did my dad not love me?

when insurance was brought up, it really got me thinking about how much of a gamble i take when i go out there and do what i enjoy. although i did my collarbone 2014 and insurance covered it. i still came out of pocket atleast 500$. but i also didn't tell them i was riding dirtbikes.

your still young, just ride that bike and get in tip top shape. your time will come. until then, enjoy your youth life and avoid all the temptation like tide pods, unprotected sex, and drugs.

Asimo
3/6/2018 12:08am
My current insurance specifically states that injuries derived during ANY competition, racing or "Exhibition of speed" is not covered. As are any injuries caused or during any type of "extreme sports"

What this means is, if you are playing volleyball with friends at the beach and break your leg, you are covered. If you break your leg during a volleyball tournament, they will NOT cover it.

This is where Social Media is your enemy.

My agent didn't know this and most agents are clueless to the actual coverages when selling a policy. I got this info from a claims adjuster. That is the guy/gal who can approve or deny paying your bill.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
3/6/2018 12:35am
What's going on here? My insurance has never denied a claim for riding the bike.

OP, suck it up and be glad your parents care about you. You can buy a bike when you turn 18 and move out. In the mean time study, learn something. It'll help you make more money to buy bikes, and cars, and all things fun.
ledger
3/6/2018 1:03am
If you want Anything bad enough, you'll find a way. Work hard....Play hard.
mark293
3/6/2018 5:23am
You write better than most of the college graduates I interview. Continue your education, get a good job and hopefully you can buy all the bikes you ever wanted.
hogkiller
3/6/2018 9:27am
Convincing My Parents to Race..... why do you want your Parents to race ????? they are old and can get hurt ..
dbarrett231
3/6/2018 9:37am
hogkiller wrote:
Convincing My Parents to Race..... why do you want your Parents to race ????? they are old and can get hurt ..
i mean to be fair ive been trying to convince my 55 year old dad to get back out there. he always has an excuse though. hmmmm
hyler199
3/6/2018 11:27am
hyler199 wrote:
I would try to find some GNCC or Cross Country type races around you where its a bit less risk and more laid back. that might...
I would try to find some GNCC or Cross Country type races around you where its a bit less risk and more laid back. that might help get into the swing of things and you get way more seat time. If your parents catch the bug from there, changing up from the woods to mainly moto would be easier
SPYGUY wrote:
This is absolutely what you need to do. Find a Hare Scramble or Cross Country race in your area and then convince your parents to take...
This is absolutely what you need to do. Find a Hare Scramble or Cross Country race in your area and then convince your parents to take you to go and watch. Hopefully after they see the friendly environment and how there aren't tons of people getting carted out on stretchers, maybe it'll help soften their stance on the matter.
To add to what is pretty much the best advice in this thread and what should of been the last post lol

People get it twisted that going to a race and riding in a race...all of a sudden you are pinning it like a mad man or something where you ride way gnarlier than you normally do.

And sure for some of the Elite they might take it up a notch from their practice days...but for you it isnt the case.

I first started "racing" in a Novice C class and would generally let the eager faster confident guys take off first from the line then I would bring up the rear with a few of the other riders. Id then proceed to pretty much ride like I normally do. Chase someone similar in speed or let the faster person by me.

Id be able to click off laps (xc tracks about 15 to 25ish minute lap times) and try to improve on certain sections I struggled the lap before. Or id go to the gas lane for a quick drink and arm pump break. Then id rejoin back out there, NOT CARING WHAT PLACE I GET.

Doing "races" to me is just a better simulated practice day, where at the end of this "practice" I can see my laptimes and for shits I get to see where my avg pace lands me in the class. (I just like not being the slowest haha)

Post a reply to: Convincing My Parents to Race

The Latest