Convincing My Parents to Race

Related:
Create New Tag

3/4/2018 9:40 PM

I've been riding dirtbikes since I was just a little kid. I have always had the desire to race but never quite got the answer I wanted. I first asked if I could race around the age of 7; however, the answer was always no. I got my first dirtbike (ttr-50) later that year. My parents always gave the same answer when I asked so I got tired of it and just stopped. I am now 15 but going to be 16 in 2 weeks. In the past year and a half, the bug has hit me harder than ever before. My dad and I bought a ttr-125 a while back so I could get the feel for dirtbikes again. About 2 weeks after we bought the 125, we bought a kx 250 thinking that my dad could ride around with me and later on it could be my bike. But one day about 5 months after we had bought the KX and ttr, I felt that I was ready for more power so I got on and started playing around with the 250. Ever since that day, the only thing I have rode is the KX. I have been on my dad and mom about racing ever since we got the bikes. But like before, the answer was no. It has been a year and a half that I have been asking. My mom doesn't really like the idea of me racing, but she is okay with it since I love it so much. My dad on the other hand hates the idea all together. When I ask him about it, he will either be silent and ignore me, or yell at me for even bringing up the topic. I never beg and I don't ask everyday. Although he doesn't like racing, he does allow me to go to a local track and ride about once every 6 months. I have mostly everything I need to race, (Boots, Jersey, Pants, Race Bike, Gloves, Goggles, and I recently purchased a Alpinestars BNS neckbrace). All of this I bought on my own. I am now at a place in which I don't know what to do. A week ago, he watched me ride on the track I mentioned and when I came up to take breaks, he pelted me with comments about how I am going to get seriously hurt and never be able to walk again. I have no where to go. I have damn near perfect grades for being a sophmore in high school seeing as I have A's in all classes. My dad tells me all the time that if I race, I will never walk again or maybe even die. Another reason he says no is because of the money; however, I offered to pay for the entry fees and costs (I don't have a job, just chores. I have around 400 saved up now) ,but he hit me with the "how are you going to pay for your expensive medical bills". If anyone has any helpful advice on how I could possibly change his mind, it would be greatly appreciated

|

3/4/2018 10:06 PM

Racing requires a lot of financial and personal support unfortunately. Chore income requires your parents to be on board; get a job and start calculating the costs to actually go racing. Lastly, looking into your insurance and make sure you are covered!!!!! Don't rely on past experience either, a lot of insurance plans now exclude coverage while doing almost any extreme sport or closed competition of any kind.

Show your dad a solid plan and disposable income (that doesn't come from the household) and your case will be a lot easier.

Unfortunately $400 bucks wont get your very far and racing is addictive....

|

3/4/2018 10:46 PM

Sounds like you have a dad that loves you and is scared of the results/consequences of your racing. As a dad with two teens that ride practice days, I'm the same way to some extent. I have let my son race a few times, very nerve racking. As a parent you want to see your kids do well in life(get A's in high school and college) and avoid dangerous hobbies. Each time one of my kids has been hurt(knocked out or broken foot/leg) from riding there are consequences, you hear about it from the wife and rest of family. As a good parent, you weigh the pros and cons of continuing with the riding. Also, go to any track on practice day, there is always a kid with a cast or crutches healing from a broken bone.

Maybe try and get your dad to ride with you, and also ride more on practice days at the track. He might feel more comfortable when he watches you ride more and will let you race. Just make sure you make good decisions on the track. My son over jumps stuff and rides above his head on race days. It scares me, when he crashes every moto. Also, if you do crash, get up as fast as you can, so he knows you are okay. My 2 cents.

|

3/4/2018 11:09 PM

I would try to find some GNCC or Cross Country type races around you where its a bit less risk and more laid back. that might help get into the swing of things and you get way more seat time. If your parents catch the bug from there, changing up from the woods to mainly moto would be easier

|

3/4/2018 11:10 PM

Your parents love you that much is obvious.But you will never understand them until you have a child of your own.Everyone on this site and your Dad knows when it comes to dirt bikes it is not if you will get hurt but when and how severely.He's just worried about the worst case scenario for you. As Steel said try to get your Dad to ride more with you and also try to get him to go to local races with you so he can see just what the scene is like for himself.Moto is contagious.In the mean time you need to train and keep yourself in top shape physically keep your grades up and be a good boy, so if the opportunity presents itself you are ready.Good luck to you young man.

|

3/4/2018 11:27 PM

ride as much as you can, stay in school, get a good job, and race from age 24-64

|

3/4/2018 11:28 PM

oh and #1 thing is dont get out of shape, old dudes that stay fit still haul the mail.

|

3/5/2018 12:37 AM

Just a thought on easing your Dad into the idea of organized events/racing. Find your state off-road series and clubs and see if any of them put on Poker Runs - its basically a marked trail ride, with stops along the way to draw cards, for a hand of poker with prizes/sway for the best hands.

Its not a race, but has the feel of an organized event. If he is willing to trail ride with you, then this would give him a chance to experience the fun of an event. It would also give your Dad a chance to see there are lots of responsible riders, clubs and events.

He might ease up if he has some fun, and then later down the road, ease in to the idea of an off-road race. If that works then ease into the idea of full MX racing.

I feel for you man, I had a buddy that kept his bike at my house all through high school because his parents hated motorcycles. His uncle gave him a bike and his parents sold it and allowed him to buy a Spree scooter (way before your time), which was absolute shit. Later he bought his own bike and thus kept it at my house.

Good luck

|

3/5/2018 6:08 AM

im in the same boat you are. Im just waiting till i get my license in a few months then im gonna get the release form signed and notarized so i can race on my own

|

2009 RMZ 250 (sold)
2004 LTZ 400
#nukethequads

3/5/2018 6:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2018 6:17 AM

If you get hurt, your parents will have to live with that memory the rest of his life! I wouldn’t let you race either. You can make some bad decisions trying to win, riding your not pushing your brain and your ability’s as much. I started racing at 21 when I lived on my own, as respected my parents decisions with us the minute I became a dad, couldn’t understand their decisions before that but now I get it.

There is a husband and wife here in this area who are divorced because the wife couldn’t stand her son getting hurt Racing, so she left. That kid has now been hurt so bad he may never use 1 of his hands again

|

3/5/2018 6:15 AM

No is no dude. Your parents own you until youre 18. If you get hurt they have medical bills to pay. Insurance doesnt cover racing accidents. Since you work, id assume you have some kind of idea of what money is worth. If you break a bone youll have thousands and thousands in medical bills. Its not a $100 doctor office visit. Your dad has to pay that. If he doesnt want to risk it then tough shit. Turn 18 and risk that yourself.

|

3/5/2018 6:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2018 6:20 AM

kb228 wrote:

No is no dude. Your parents own you until youre 18. If you get hurt they have medical bills to pay. Insurance doesnt cover racing accidents. Since you work, id assume you have some kind of idea of what money is worth. If you break a bone youll have thousands and thousands in medical bills. Its not a $100 doctor office visit. Your dad has to pay that. If he doesnt want to risk it then tough shit. Turn 18 and risk that yourself.

Your parents are too smart and too cheap to let you race,. Run away, get a sponsor then race I say.

|

3/5/2018 6:22 AM

Why exactly do you want to race? I have done a handful of MX and off road races and I still prefer going to just ride. No schedules to follow, no insane class and entry fee and you get much more seat time. I’m curious why your so set on racing?

|

3/5/2018 6:23 AM

You will get hurt Racing, the question is, how often and how bad?!

|

3/5/2018 6:40 AM

kb228 wrote:

Insurance does cover racing accident/injuries

|

3/5/2018 6:51 AM

Photo shop a hot chick into a pic of your dad, blackmail baby. Same with mom. You'll have a new bike, gear, you name it. If that don't work search "Menendez brothers"

|

3/5/2018 6:53 AM

kb228 wrote:

kkawboy14 wrote:

Which insurance company? Mine told me since it was racing related they wont cover it.

|

3/5/2018 6:55 AM

kb228 wrote:

kkawboy14 wrote:

kb228 wrote:

Which insurance company? Mine told me since it was racing related they wont cover it.

Every insurance I have ever owned. Especially since Obamacare change things.

|

3/5/2018 6:56 AM

kb228 wrote:

kkawboy14 wrote:

I’m an insurance agent. If you know of an accident plan that will cover motorized competition on the west coast I’d love to hear about it. I’ve been looking for years - I could retire. I think you need to read the fine print on your policy. Insurance fraud is no joke!

|

3/5/2018 7:21 AM

In my opinion, the best thing you can do is enjoy the riding time that you get and improve your technique so that if or when you get a chance to race, you'll be in the best possible position to have a good experience. Don't let the fact that your not racing take away from the pleasure of riding. Be understanding of your dad's perspective - at your age, you may not have a good grasp of his reasons (financial or otherwise), but it sounds like he has your and your family's best interests in mind.

|

Current rides: 2021 TM 144, 2017 KTM 350SXF

3/5/2018 7:26 AM

Hey dad maybe you should stop driving because you could get in an accident and never walk again or die.

Hey dad maybe you should stop using the sidewalk because a car could accidentally jump the curb, hit you and never walk again or die.

Hey dad maybe you should stop riding bicycles because you could hit a rock, fall off and hit your head, slip into a coma and never wake up again.

Hey dad since it's winter maybe you should hibernate for the next few months because you could walk out the door, slip on the ice and never walk again or hit your head and die.

Sounds to me like your dad needs to stop babying you. The world isn't all sunshine and rainbows. He already let's you ride dirt bikes so what's the big deal. You can get hurt riding just like you can get hurt racing.

The point is you can get hurt doing just about anything.

Get a job to atleast help pay for it and maybe he'll eventually come around and see how much it means to you.

Seriously though maybe convince your parents to atleast go to a race with you to see what it's like. Once you're there walk around the pits and show them how great of a family environment it really is. Talk to some of the racing families on why they do it, the risk associated with it, how they got started, etc.

Or you could always try the "would you rather I'd be staying out late with friends causing trouble and doing drugs?"

Good luck.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

3/5/2018 7:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2018 8:07 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Hey dad maybe you should stop driving because you could get in an accident and never walk again or die.

Hey dad maybe you should stop using the sidewalk because a car could accidentally jump the curb, hit you and never walk again or die.

Hey dad maybe you should stop riding bicycles because you could hit a rock, fall off and hit your head, slip into a coma and never wake up again.

Hey dad since it's winter maybe you should hibernate for the next few months because you could walk out the door, slip on the ice and never walk again or hit your head and die.

Sounds to me like your dad needs to stop babying you. The world isn't all sunshine and rainbows. He already let's you ride dirt bikes so what's the big deal. You can get hurt riding just like you can get hurt racing.

Get a job to atleast help pay for it and maybe he'll eventually come around and see how much it means to you.

Seriously though maybe convince your parents to atleast go to a race with you to see what it's like. Once you're there walk around the pits and show them how great of a family environment it really is. Talk to some of the racing families on why they do it, the risk associated with it, how they got started, etc.

Or you could always try the "would you rather I'd be staying out late with friends causing trouble and doing drugs?"

Good luck.

You can't be serious. You actually think that the risk in the things you mention is comparable to the risk in motocross racing? Unless you are looking to insult your father's intelligence, I'd advise against using any of these examples.

Maverick, as Canadians, it's easy to overlook the differences in how insurance would treat your examples vs. racing injuries (if I'm understanding correctly how American health insurance works). This is a genuine and real concern.

|

3/5/2018 7:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2018 8:01 AM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Every insurance I have ever owned. Especially since Obamacare change things.

I'd check again... I just broke my right wrist in October and was denied (wasn't racing and this was the first time I wasn't covered). READ THE FINE PRINT is all I will say and stay up to date on your policy changes if they happen. It was a $22,000.00 lesson that was learned 4 months to late.

Racing is on a whole different level of risk then fun riding. Its not just staying within your limit but the guy next to you as well. There are always new guys in the field and accidents happen, bringing your buddies into your accident isn't an uncommon problem with moto.

|

3/5/2018 8:28 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Good luck.

MPJC wrote:

You can't be serious. You actually think that the risk in the things you mention is comparable to the risk in motocross racing? Unless you are looking to insult your father's intelligence, I'd advise against using any of these examples.

Maverick, as Canadians, it's easy to overlook the differences in how insurance would treat your examples vs. racing injuries (if I'm understanding correctly how American health insurance works). This is a genuine and real concern.

I never said I was comparing the risk of the things I listed to riding/racing. I was just pointing out one can get hurt doing anything. Just last year a guy walked out of his house slipped on the ice and was paralyzed. Shit happens all the time, that's life.

When I was in the hospital after my accident I met plenty of other people that were paralyzed. One guy fell off a ladder, one girl was in a car accident, one guy where I live was a swimming accident.

He already let's him ride. You mean to tell me his dad can't see that he can get hurt just as much riding around? Whether he gets hurt riding or racing, riding a bicycle, swimming, etc. They'll still have medical bills.

Kid's going to be 16, will he prevent him from getting his driver's license because there's a chance he could get into an accident? There's a ton of traffic and idiots texting behind the wheel on the road but that's somehow safer? Get real.

It's impossible to control everything.

Glad I got to be a kid and act like one.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

3/5/2018 8:33 AM

I would eat a tide pod and then demand that not only they let you race ,but that you must have a new bike . Also remind them that if you do not win it is only becuse of them .

|

A big Thank you to FLY racing. OMA KTM. 100%. DT-1 Motorex and Bell helmets . Racing for you JG96

3/5/2018 8:39 AM

Sounds like you have smart parents who love you. Just enjoy riding for now and get into racing when your able to on your own.

|

3/5/2018 8:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2018 8:44 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Good luck.

MPJC wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I never said I was comparing the risk of the things I listed to riding/racing. I was just pointing out one can get hurt doing anything. Just last year a guy walked out of his house slipped on the ice and was paralyzed. Shit happens all the time, that's life.

When I was in the hospital after my accident I met plenty of other people that were paralyzed. One guy fell off a ladder, one girl was in a car accident, one guy where I live was a swimming accident.

He already let's him ride. You mean to tell me his dad can't see that he can get hurt just as much riding around? Whether he gets hurt riding or racing, riding a bicycle, swimming, etc. They'll still have medical bills.

Kid's going to be 16, will he prevent him from getting his driver's license because there's a chance he could get into an accident? There's a ton of traffic and idiots texting behind the wheel on the road but that's somehow safer? Get real.

It's impossible to control everything.

Glad I got to be a kid and act like one.

The point about the insurance is that if you get hurt slipping on the ice or carrying out mundane everyday activities, you won't have much of a medical bill because your insurance will cover it, whereas if you get hurt racing, you may have a huge medical bill because your insurance may not cover it. They are in the U.S., there are completely different concerns there.

To say "you can get hurt doing almost anything, therefore you might as well (insert risky activity here)" is a monstrously bad inference. I'd have thought that to be obvious. It's the kind of argument you'd expect from Homer Simpson.

|

3/5/2018 8:53 AM

PFitzG38 wrote:

I’m an insurance agent. If you know of an accident plan that will cover motorized competition on the west coast I’d love to hear about it. I’ve been looking for years - I could retire. I think you need to read the fine print on your policy. Insurance fraud is no joke!

The only exclusion on my policy is if I'm hurt in a military action, flying as a crew member on aircraft and if injured in the commission of a crime. I don't get it from insurance policies. Why is falling from a mountain bike/bmx or snowboard any different from falling from a dirt bike, racing or desert riding?
My car insurance agent said they don't care if I totaled my bike racing for a 6 pack or a national competition.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

3/5/2018 9:04 AM

B DUB 333 wrote:

Photo shop a hot chick into a pic of your dad, blackmail baby. Same with mom. You'll have a new bike, gear, you name it. If that don't work search "Menendez brothers"

Solid advice

|

RPM Performance
CT

3/5/2018 9:08 AM

Find a rich girlfriend, move out.

|