Contrary to the news..(Malcolm)

dang472
Fantasy
403rd
Edited Date/Time 5/1/2021 8:01am
I’m not sure if it was mentioned in the race thread, but the crowd reaction for Malcolm’s podium should remind everyone things aren’t as bad as the news wants you to believe. It seems like every story tries to divide us nowadays but we had a French guy/Japanese kid/African-American racing in a predominantly white sport in UTAH and the crowd and industry couldn’t have been happier for each one of them. Next time you want to keep up with the “hillbilly Neanderthal” sport nonsense, remember SLC.
|
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
4/28/2021 2:30pm
dang472 wrote:
I’m not sure if it was mentioned in the race thread, but the crowd reaction for Malcolm’s podium should remind everyone things aren’t as bad as...
I’m not sure if it was mentioned in the race thread, but the crowd reaction for Malcolm’s podium should remind everyone things aren’t as bad as the news wants you to believe. It seems like every story tries to divide us nowadays but we had a French guy/Japanese kid/African-American racing in a predominantly white sport in UTAH and the crowd and industry couldn’t have been happier for each one of them. Next time you want to keep up with the “hillbilly Neanderthal” sport nonsense, remember SLC.
"we had a French guy/Japanese kid/African-American racing in a predominantly white sport in UTAH"

i never once thought of it that way, i just thought of them as racers just like the rest.
dang472
Fantasy
403rd
4/28/2021 2:36pm
Right, I’m sure you’re so woke that you don’t recognize any differences with anyone. There’s positivity in the crowd response so it’s not making news. If it was the other way around, Vital would be melting down. It just shows how media constantly shapes our views on what is important and what we should be angry about.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
4/28/2021 2:41pm
dang472 wrote:
Right, I’m sure you’re so woke that you don’t recognize any differences with anyone. There’s positivity in the crowd response so it’s not making news. If...
Right, I’m sure you’re so woke that you don’t recognize any differences with anyone. There’s positivity in the crowd response so it’s not making news. If it was the other way around, Vital would be melting down. It just shows how media constantly shapes our views on what is important and what we should be angry about.
Right, I'm so woke that i voted for Trump- twice. Believe it or not, not everyone sees everyone by their color. And not sure what you expected from the crowd, boos?
BD233
4/28/2021 2:42pm
Yea. I never even thought about the diversity on the box in Utah but I’m happy they get the fan love they deserve. Anyone who gets on the box at this level deserves respect.

The Shop

dang472
Fantasy
403rd
4/28/2021 2:48pm
The crowd cheer for Malcolm was noticeable. It was cool to hear. I’m just tired of everyone using race with negativity.
tprice07
4/28/2021 2:49pm
dang472 wrote:
I’m not sure if it was mentioned in the race thread, but the crowd reaction for Malcolm’s podium should remind everyone things aren’t as bad as...
It is great to see how pumped the crowd was for Malcolm. That said, it has not always been that way. James has had people yelling out some pretty gnarly things while he was racing. I heard it personally up in Millville Minnesota.

Again, happy to see that the crowd gave Malcolm some much deserved cheers but racism is not fake or "contrary to the news"
dang472
Fantasy
403rd
4/28/2021 2:59pm
Yes, let’s disregard the love for Malcolm and Shimoda and get back to describing why we dislike Webb for the way he wears his hat. Attend a soccer match in Europe to hear some racism and bigotry. This sport seems to be doing pretty good.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/28/2021 3:07pm
dang472 wrote:
Right, I’m sure you’re so woke that you don’t recognize any differences with anyone. There’s positivity in the crowd response so it’s not making news. If...
I can (and did) appreciate the warm reception from the crowd.

However, I’m not sure how members responding to you in a forum has anything to do with the media. You’re confusing personal opinions with media coverage.
dang472
Fantasy
403rd
4/28/2021 3:18pm
I was referring to mainstream news media deciding what the country should be enraged about at any given moment. Depending on the subject matter they can highlight a small problem and turn it into an epidemic. The crowd response at SLC was real and symbolic of what 99% of America is about. The crap on the news and your Facebook feed just keeps everyone angry at each other. I think you refer to it as “anti-social media”.
Ted722
4/28/2021 3:31pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2021 3:37pm
I've always viewed this sport with rose colored glasses I suppose. (not even sure if I used that cliche correctly)

We all look the same with a helmet on, because we are.

Malcolm has the influence to take it any direction he wants and, if Saturday was any indication, there will be deafening crowd roars for many years to come. I'd love to see him win it Saturday!
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
4/28/2021 3:32pm
Overlooking a few isolated incidents of drunk idiots at races, MX has, by and large, managed to avoid devolving into the senseless, identity focused nonsense going on in larger society. People come to races to escape that shit. MX'ers are good people. This has been proven time and time again. We are racers. We respect other racers. It's been pretty simple and hopefully it stays that way.
hubbardmx50
4/28/2021 3:38pm
I was thinking the same thing while watching on Saturday. The crowd in SLC was awesome. We as Americans have more in common than we think. The news media companies will always be pushing some sort of agenda, but when you get outside you’ll see that things aren’t that bad.
Kyle978
4/28/2021 3:38pm
Breaking news: MX is a diverse sport enjoyed by every type of person around the world 🤯
greenmx5
4/28/2021 3:45pm
That's awesome. It's unfortunate the bad ones (IE southwick jackasses flipping off James back in the day) are the ones that get the coverage and those memories don't go away. Wish the news would start showing more of the positivity these days than all the negative.
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
4/28/2021 3:57pm
Kyle978 wrote:
Breaking news: MX is a diverse sport enjoyed by every type of person around the world 🤯
Yeah even more macro is that motorcycles are used by all races all around the world.
Titan1
4/28/2021 4:11pm
I turned off the news...I just don't watch it any more...and I don't get on social media much anymore at all either (outside of Vital)...I now base my view of society on the world around me (my real life interactions with people), at work, the races, riding, church, grocery store, etc. etc. And I found that we aren't nearly as divided and hateful as it would appear on the news and as the social media arguments would have us believe.

Yes, we are different...racially, politically, economically...but at the end of the day we all want the same thing...to be happy. Most all of us would stop to help a stranger in need. Most all of us are good people.

We aren't a broken and divided country...the media just plays that up for ratings, and the government capitalizes on it for more power. It's a shame that so many american's base their view of society on what they see on the news and who they are arguing with on social media rather than their real life interactions.

I was at the race on saturday...the crowd (myself included) was happy for all those guys.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/28/2021 4:15pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2021 4:16pm
greenmx5 wrote:
That's awesome. It's unfortunate the bad ones (IE southwick jackasses flipping off James back in the day) are the ones that get the coverage and those...
That's awesome. It's unfortunate the bad ones (IE southwick jackasses flipping off James back in the day) are the ones that get the coverage and those memories don't go away. Wish the news would start showing more of the positivity these days than all the negative.
Sometimes you have to shine a spotlight on roaches to make them scurry back to their hiding places. That's why they got the coverage they did.
Ted722
4/28/2021 4:26pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2021 7:26pm
One of my friends (growing up) Dad passed away about a month ago. His Dad was my soccer coach in what you could call my formative years (about age 13-17). I let my friend know that his Dad was one of my most influential figures in my life. Demanded discipline, but knew the importance of fun and goal setting as well. He was 6' 7" ~270lb so you listened, but he was a gentile giant.

He used to tell us players (which I've used with my own teams I've coached), "Shoot for the moon...and if you miss, you'll be among the stars."

He also introduced us to music. Cool The first time I heard The Gap Band "You Dropped A Bomb On Me" was in a car full of teammates heading to our 2nd game while we were down at an Orange County tournament. His son was into Jimi Hendrix. Wink

Oh yeah, almost forgot, he and his son were black. Thankful I grew up in a household / community where none of that shit mattered.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/28/2021 4:42pm
I thought this thread was news that Mookie was doing the complete outdoors season.
Haha me too. I think the OP's point was (most) moto fans saw a guy from France, a guy from Japan, and a guy from Florida. Hopefully that mindset spreads. And how could you not cheer for Malcom ? The guy was ear to ear grinning stoked ! The happiest fucker on the podium and he was on the lowest step Laughing Hope he kills it next weekend
Ted722
4/28/2021 4:54pm
I thought this thread was news that Mookie was doing the complete outdoors season.
Based on thread title:

I'd love to see Malcolm line-up for the Nationals. He and that Yamaha would deliver.
motomike137
4/28/2021 4:59pm
Motocross does not discriminate. It doesn't care who is on the bike. Motocross rewards effort, talent and heart regardless of race, creed or religion. Best sport on earth.
66TR66
4/28/2021 5:02pm
dang472 wrote:
You forgot about the Little Aussie Punk Kid.
peltier626
4/28/2021 5:09pm
Agreed, great reception to a couple humans victoriously riding their motorcycles. Certain ententes wants the world divided, but from my personal perspective it's not as severe as the media portrays. I am a believer that we are all the same and created from the same source, but realize there are differing beliefs, cultures, ideology's and social statuses. This should expand our appreciation rather than further the isolation.
mxracer816
Fantasy
2858th
4/28/2021 6:28pm
dang472 wrote:
tprice07 wrote:
It is great to see how pumped the crowd was for Malcolm. That said, it has not always been that way. James has had people yelling...
It is great to see how pumped the crowd was for Malcolm. That said, it has not always been that way. James has had people yelling out some pretty gnarly things while he was racing. I heard it personally up in Millville Minnesota.

Again, happy to see that the crowd gave Malcolm some much deserved cheers but racism is not fake or "contrary to the news"
Completely agree, but how many fans regardless of color did Bubba have? There were only a very limited number of those very racist actions. The MAJORITY loved James, the fact that he was a different skin color made NO difference in their opinion of him. He was family...one of us....a dirt biker. We were pumped when he got a bad start blew through the entire pack and won, and guess what, not a single FAN of the sport gave a single F about his skin color. His attitude was badass, his style was badass, and he could ride a dirt bike like no one else. Was a fan from day one and will never waiver from that. Dude was one of the baddest to ever throw a leg over a dirt bike, to let a few ignorant people label an entire race is completely asinine...From my view in my town racism does exist. Period. There are idiots everywhere. As an old mentor once told me, "you can't fix stupid". He was so right. I interact with many races of people in many facets of my life. Very rarely do I encounter ignorant people being racist. We're all in this together, a smile and a nice gesture go a long way with people. Be nice and do good to ALL people, and it comes back to you.
Dutch348
4/28/2021 6:37pm
dang472 wrote:
What he said is the opposite of being “woke” 😂
Harv379
Fantasy
1988th
4/28/2021 6:57pm
I've also never been on a forum where there is so much negativity amongst each other, I'm not sure if it's related to the thumbs up/down creating a division, if it's tied to the moto community, a sign of the times, or just how people feel inside... It was cool to see the diversity, not something we have a lot of here in Utah, the world ain't so bad and people usually aren't as hatred in real life as they are on here. Cheers
dang472
Fantasy
403rd
4/28/2021 7:00pm
Dutch348 wrote:
What he said is the opposite of being “woke” 😂
I actually agree with his sentiment regarding the fans just seeing them as racers. We all have our favorite guys to root for and against based on bike color/podium interviews/ear tucking. Race and nationality don’t factor in the weekly banter here and that’s awesome. It just proves 99% of the people here see a group of badasses on motorcycles and aren’t blinded my some “systemic racism” narrative pushed at every opportunity.
VET176
4/28/2021 7:16pm
Titan1 wrote:
I turned off the news...I just don't watch it any more...and I don't get on social media much anymore at all either (outside of Vital)...I now...
I turned off the news...I just don't watch it any more...and I don't get on social media much anymore at all either (outside of Vital)...I now base my view of society on the world around me (my real life interactions with people), at work, the races, riding, church, grocery store, etc. etc. And I found that we aren't nearly as divided and hateful as it would appear on the news and as the social media arguments would have us believe.

Yes, we are different...racially, politically, economically...but at the end of the day we all want the same thing...to be happy. Most all of us would stop to help a stranger in need. Most all of us are good people.

We aren't a broken and divided country...the media just plays that up for ratings, and the government capitalizes on it for more power. It's a shame that so many american's base their view of society on what they see on the news and who they are arguing with on social media rather than their real life interactions.

I was at the race on saturday...the crowd (myself included) was happy for all those guys.
x2 Turning off the news really does help with your happiness.
H4L
4/28/2021 7:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2021 7:23pm
Not sure why this is even a thread. I saw the best racers for that evening podium in their respective 250 & 450 main event races..

Post a reply to: Contrary to the news..(Malcolm)

The Latest