Contacts and goggles.

dirtmike86
Ive been wearing contacts while i ride for about 5 years now and have worn 100 goggles the whole time. I recently switched from 14 day contacts to 30 day and i feel like they get dried out. I think the 100% maybe let too much air in? I would switch back to the previous contacts but i bought a years worth and to be honest iam kinda tired of 100%. Anyone have any suggestions in this topic? Ive tried a friends oakley air brakes, they're not any better.
|
kb228
9/5/2018 6:24am
I also run 30 days and 100% goggles. I dont have any dry eye issues. What i have started doing is putting a drip or 2 of contact solition in the “bowl” of the contact before putting it in my eye. It seems to really help keep everything wet all day. Maybe try that before you ride?
Bennett59
9/5/2018 6:24am
It’s probably the contacts, and not really the googles. Possibly the solution if you take them out every night. I wear acuvue 2 week but sometimes I can get 3 weeks out of them just depends how they feel. I changed solutions cause I kept getting dry eyes and it helped. My eye doctor was highly against the 30 day ones when I asked about them.
9/5/2018 6:26am
I use 30 days contacts too. Used 100% accuris for 2 years, and had the same issues. Switch to Fox Air Defence for this summer. I think the googles are better quality and no issues so far , I have about 30hours of riding with them.
billyp330
9/5/2018 6:27am
Its all about the contacts, not the googles. I use to wear contacts when i rode, I used Acuvue Oasys, and had pretty good luck with them however, I did have few times when they dried out and one would fall out. I got cheap and started wearing Hubble contacts and they absolutely suck. Kind of scary hitting a 90ft jump and you lose half your vision and all your depth perception 10ft before the take off. Luckily it never caused me to crash, but after that happening a couple times I switched to just wearing glasses. I wear 100% Racecrafts and Accuri with my glasses and feel pretty comfortable in both. My brother wears glasses also and bought the 100% OTG Accuri and says they are a lot better for him, but I havn't tried them yet.

The Shop

dirtmike86
9/5/2018 6:29am
kb228 wrote:
I also run 30 days and 100% goggles. I dont have any dry eye issues. What i have started doing is putting a drip or 2...
I also run 30 days and 100% goggles. I dont have any dry eye issues. What i have started doing is putting a drip or 2 of contact solition in the “bowl” of the contact before putting it in my eye. It seems to really help keep everything wet all day. Maybe try that before you ride?
Ive tried that and multiple brand solutions. It helps but after about 10 laps iam back to blinking like a crackhead.
dirtmike86
9/5/2018 6:30am
Arrowangel wrote:
I use 30 days contacts too. Used 100% accuris for 2 years, and had the same issues. Switch to Fox Air Defence for this summer. I...
I use 30 days contacts too. Used 100% accuris for 2 years, and had the same issues. Switch to Fox Air Defence for this summer. I think the googles are better quality and no issues so far , I have about 30hours of riding with them.
Ill give them a try.
kb228
9/5/2018 6:31am
kb228 wrote:
I also run 30 days and 100% goggles. I dont have any dry eye issues. What i have started doing is putting a drip or 2...
dirtmike86 wrote:
Ive tried that and multiple brand solutions. It helps but after about 10 laps iam back to blinking like a crackhead.
If it makes a difference i use biofinity lenses and biotrue solution.
dirtmike86
9/5/2018 6:32am
billyp330 wrote:
Its all about the contacts, not the googles. I use to wear contacts when i rode, I used Acuvue Oasys, and had pretty good luck with...
Its all about the contacts, not the googles. I use to wear contacts when i rode, I used Acuvue Oasys, and had pretty good luck with them however, I did have few times when they dried out and one would fall out. I got cheap and started wearing Hubble contacts and they absolutely suck. Kind of scary hitting a 90ft jump and you lose half your vision and all your depth perception 10ft before the take off. Luckily it never caused me to crash, but after that happening a couple times I switched to just wearing glasses. I wear 100% Racecrafts and Accuri with my glasses and feel pretty comfortable in both. My brother wears glasses also and bought the 100% OTG Accuri and says they are a lot better for him, but I havn't tried them yet.
Youre probably right because i use to use the acuvue and never had a issue. Ive tried glasses it throws my depth perception off.
dirtmike86
9/5/2018 6:34am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2018 6:37am
kb228 wrote:
dirtmike86 wrote:
kb228 wrote:
Ill pick some up on my way to milestone today. If it doesnt work ill be buying every brand goggle the pro shop carries lol.
billyp330
9/5/2018 6:41am
billyp330 wrote:
Its all about the contacts, not the googles. I use to wear contacts when i rode, I used Acuvue Oasys, and had pretty good luck with...
dirtmike86 wrote:
Youre probably right because i use to use the acuvue and never had a issue. Ive tried glasses it throws my depth perception off.
Have you tried wearing glasses for a couple hours before you ride? I use to wear contacts everyday and when I would switch to glasses at the track and try to ride it messed with my head and my depth perception a lot. I found that wearing my glasses for a hour or two before I rode let my eyes adjust to the glasses and then I wouldn't have any issues while riding. It is annoying having to take glasses on and off every time you take your helmet off, but I like not having to worry about losing my vision while riding.
BobPA
9/5/2018 6:47am
I have used Acuvue 2’s for 7 years or so. I never really had a problem with them drying out. I would scratch them from time to time. I now use the daily’s when I ride. Cheap, and I do not worry about ruining them in a single day.
dirtmike86
9/5/2018 6:51am
billyp330 wrote:
dirtmike86 wrote:
billyp330 wrote:
Have you tried wearing glasses for a couple hours before you ride? I use to wear contacts everyday and when I would switch to glasses at...
Have you tried wearing glasses for a couple hours before you ride? I use to wear contacts everyday and when I would switch to glasses at the track and try to ride it messed with my head and my depth perception a lot. I found that wearing my glasses for a hour or two before I rode let my eyes adjust to the glasses and then I wouldn't have any issues while riding. It is annoying having to take glasses on and off every time you take your helmet off, but I like not having to worry about losing my vision while riding.
Yes, i wear my glasses all day. Only wear contacts while riding. Something about it makes me feel like iam really low to the ground. Ive tried to ride for an hour also but it never goes away. Even tried different glasses.
Bennett59
9/5/2018 6:52am
kb228 wrote:
dirtmike86 wrote:
kb228 wrote:
Bio true solution is good I used to use opti free for 5 years then one day I bought a new opti free and it started burning feeling on my eyes. Switched to Bio true stuff works good keeps lens good all day
dirtmike86
9/5/2018 7:12am
dirtmike86 wrote:
kb228 wrote:
Bennett59 wrote:
Bio true solution is good I used to use opti free for 5 years then one day I bought a new opti free and it started...
Bio true solution is good I used to use opti free for 5 years then one day I bought a new opti free and it started burning feeling on my eyes. Switched to Bio true stuff works good keeps lens good all day
Iam gunna pick some up today. If it works i owe you and kb a beer.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
9/5/2018 7:21am
I used to have this same problem where even walking around on a windy day would dry my eyes out. I Switched to Clear Care contact solution and it fixed it for me. Seems to clean and hydrate a lot better than saline based solutions, but the downside is you have to wait like 5-6 hrs for the peroxide to neutralize.
Ken202
Fantasy
1476th
9/5/2018 7:31am
BobPA wrote:
I have used Acuvue 2’s for 7 years or so. I never really had a problem with them drying out. I would scratch them from time...
I have used Acuvue 2’s for 7 years or so. I never really had a problem with them drying out. I would scratch them from time to time. I now use the daily’s when I ride. Cheap, and I do not worry about ruining them in a single day.
Same here. They stayed in place and didn't dry out. Like Bob said, since they're cheap tossing them after one day's use isn't a bother. (I had an issue with other brands floating around, I suppose because of my astigmatism, but these stayed in place.)
billyp330
9/5/2018 7:32am
Jbulz wrote:
I used to have this same problem where even walking around on a windy day would dry my eyes out. I Switched to Clear Care contact...
I used to have this same problem where even walking around on a windy day would dry my eyes out. I Switched to Clear Care contact solution and it fixed it for me. Seems to clean and hydrate a lot better than saline based solutions, but the downside is you have to wait like 5-6 hrs for the peroxide to neutralize.
I accidentally put that stuff on my contact thinking it was my normal solution and it burns like a mother F*@#! lol
toomanykaws
9/5/2018 7:39am
I have had Acuvue lenses. Now I have Air Optrix. They are advertised to breathe better. Being in the desert riding or on the dual sports. I always carry solution and spare pair lenses. Especially being out all day. Few drops when making stops keeps eyes flushed out and usually don't have any problems. I also try to break out a new pair lenses day or so before I ride. Clean them after and sometimes save them for the next time I ride. Then the day to day lenses that are breaking down don't get used. Used Spy goggles in the past and worked fine. Now I got a pile of 100% from a trade show. Havent worn them yet.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
9/5/2018 7:51am
Jbulz wrote:
I used to have this same problem where even walking around on a windy day would dry my eyes out. I Switched to Clear Care contact...
billyp330 wrote:
I accidentally put that stuff on my contact thinking it was my normal solution and it burns like a mother F*@#! lol
You learn that lesson quick haha.

I've had some late nights where I only gave the solution 3-4 hrs and popped my contacts in without thinking the next morning. Damn, does that wake you right up!

I def notice my contacts feel fresh longer and my eyes don't get dried out ever anymore, so I think it's worth it. I know I'm not supposed to, but I actually found that I can stretch my contact life out a bit (usually because I don't even notice them in my eyes anymore).

I used Acuvue Oasys and now am on Acuvue Vita. I like both equally well.
billyp330
9/5/2018 8:00am
Jbulz wrote:
billyp330 wrote:
Jbulz wrote:
You learn that lesson quick haha. I've had some late nights where I only gave the solution 3-4 hrs and popped my contacts in without thinking...
You learn that lesson quick haha.

I've had some late nights where I only gave the solution 3-4 hrs and popped my contacts in without thinking the next morning. Damn, does that wake you right up!

I def notice my contacts feel fresh longer and my eyes don't get dried out ever anymore, so I think it's worth it. I know I'm not supposed to, but I actually found that I can stretch my contact life out a bit (usually because I don't even notice them in my eyes anymore).

I used Acuvue Oasys and now am on Acuvue Vita. I like both equally well.
I would wear my Oasys for months at times, never taking them out. At minimal I would wear them for a 3-4 weeks straight. The Vita's I didnt like as much. They felt thicker and bugged me. I didnt notice any difference using the Clear Care but it could be because I only used that solution while wearing the Vita's which like I said, I didn't like. When I finally stop being a cheap ass and get new contacts, they will definitely be Oasys.
mauidex
9/5/2018 8:20am
lasik..............best thing I ever did for myself and completely changed riding...............wish I would have done it 10 years earlier!!
bvm111
9/5/2018 9:56am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2018 10:25am
I just bring the rewetting eye drops with me and throw them in the cooler, right before I head out on the track I put a couple drops in each eye and that solved the problem for me. I grew up in Phoenix and live in Vegas now and the relative humidity is almost always below 20% and this almost always eliminates this issue... towards the end of the day I notice that they start to dry out no matter what I do!
Johnny Ringo
9/5/2018 10:11am
I stick mine on the outside of my lenses. It's a bitch lining them up though.
jeffro503
9/5/2018 10:38am
I tried the riding with contacts thing for about a year. Just couldn't do it any longer. They would dry out about 10 minutes into a ride , I'd blink , they would fold and either go onto another part of my eye , or shoot out into the inside of my goggles.

I tried something different with the RX goggles inset.....been a life saver.
jeffro503
9/5/2018 10:40am
mauidex wrote:
lasik..............best thing I ever did for myself and completely changed riding...............wish I would have done it 10 years earlier!!
My next step. Been really wanting to get this done.
fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
9/5/2018 12:42pm
dirtmike86 wrote:
Yes, i wear my glasses all day. Only wear contacts while riding. Something about it makes me feel like iam really low to the ground. Ive...
Yes, i wear my glasses all day. Only wear contacts while riding. Something about it makes me feel like iam really low to the ground. Ive tried to ride for an hour also but it never goes away. Even tried different glasses.
That is something to do with your prescription. The astigmatism setting I think. I went to a cheap place for glasses and had the same thing -- walked out and felt like I was a foot shorter walking down the street. Made me nauseous too. I finally went to a good optometrist and had them fit new lenses,

Anyway, the contacts don't have astigmatism adjustment obviously so you don't end up with that problem.

That's my backyard optometrist assessment anyway...

Post a reply to: Contacts and goggles.

The Latest