Constructive ideas to improve the Monster Energy Supercross broadcast

flatout111
Edited Date/Time 10/9/2018 11:08am
Warning! Detailed, lengthy post. Continue at your own risk.

I, personally, really like Ralph and Jeff. Maybe they are no Art and David but heck, who is? Jenny is awesome but doubtful she'll be back full time. Blair is a star in the making...though I do think he needs to learn his MX/SX history more and I'm ok with RC for the most part. So the crew is fine, esp Ralph and Jeff who both take a lot of crap from people on Vital. So, assuming we have the same broadcast team (which I think we will), what are some LEGITIMATE and constructive ideas to make the broadcast much better?

Here are my two cents. And please, let's try to actually give ideas that might would be considered. No bashing of the broadcast team. That accomplishes nothing. Also, you have to bear in mind sponsors pay for the track map, holeshot, spider cam and certain segments so they WILL still be a part of the broadcast as those said sponsors pay for us to be on live TV each week.

1. First and foremost, I think the broadcast should be more geared towards the Supercross/Motocross fan. Not for the casual viewer. When I watch a LA Kings hockey broadcast (go Kings), Bob and Jim (and now Alex and Jim) do not explain every minute thing as if it is the first time I've watched the sport. Yes, you want to grow new fans and for them to understand it but we shouldn't dumb it down. Supercross is big but it is still quite a niche sport and most watching it know it. So let's make the analysis in depth and solid. Think Troy Aikman in the booth. I think this is a legitimate complaint and something that could be easily remedied. Trust me. Ralph is a Pro and Jeff does know SX as good as anyone. NFL pays people to throw the broadcast team cues and inside info Why can't we?

2. Try to learn from the late 90's ESPN broadcasts. Yes, I know they were voice overs. But still, they treated it very, very professionally and you would learn a lot each broadcast with mechanics being mic'ed up, intervals with Honda Stopwatch (it now could be Cooper Tire stopwatch, for example), etc. So much good in those broadcasts.

3. I love Ralph and Jeff and think they are great at what they do (it's hard people, I've tried it), but I do wish they would both do a better job of really calling the race. It is a bit too much for the casual viewer (see #1). I want to know lap times, intervals, etc and basically if you've ever heard the old Pace Supercross audio webcasts with Chad Damiani and Jim Holley and later Weege and Holley...you could almost just close your eyes and you still knew exactly what was going on. I've often found that, in sports, that radio calls are better than tv pbp. They have to be as they are painting the visual picture thru audio only. We don't have audio coverage of our sport, unfortunately, so I wish our current team could bridge that gap between the two different mediums by being more detailed.

4. I realize that Toyota brings money into our sport and we need them but I want THEM to do a better job at bringing segments that aren't so...well, honestly, so lame. Their segments need to strongly relate to Supercross. Not about building cars or women who ride. There should be no special segments for any different gender who rides. Someone's gender is irrelevant. The military thing, I skipped constantly, the makeup to mud...well, my Wife actually found it kinda offensive. Lol. Anyway, focus on segments that are about Supercross. There is a lot to learn for all of us if they take the time to give us good content.

5. Lose the social media segments. It is horrible. You don't see that in a NFL game or NHL game. And if you do it is done with just a scrolling Tweet like Motocross does it. Don't make it such a segment. Fans don;t care about seeing people's kids or people's bikes in their house. Prob the lamest thing on the broadcast along with the Toyota segments the past two years.

6. Just a few content ideas. Mechanic interviews, mechanics mic'ed, bike details, inside the broadcast booth and the makings of a SX broadcast, the making of a track, media day coverage.

7. College Gameday roundtable (esp at Triple Crown races) with the likes of The 800 (who is great in the booth, btw), MC, RC, KW, Holley, Blair and guests. Maybe even Stew. Smile

Anyway...let's here some good suggestions. Please, keep it constructive.

|
scootch
10/9/2018 11:07am
Hire Weege and GL and offer a NBC Sports Gold like subscription
Whip
Fantasy
3240th
10/9/2018 11:10am
Too many rounds. I lose interest by round 48 (feels like 48 anyway).

MX is far more interesting. Hate how circus-cross demolishes a third of the field each year.
flatout111
10/9/2018 11:13am
scootch wrote:
Hire Weege and GL and offer a NBC Sports Gold like subscription
I love Weege and GL but honestly, it's not going to happen. Monster Energy/Feld and MX Sports do not share like back in the day. So, although I do love Weege, this falls into the not legitimate suggestion category.

With that being said, I would love for DC to chime in, though. He was a major part of that great late 90's SX broadcast team and I think more qualified than anyone to speak on the subject of ways to make the product better.
flatout111
10/9/2018 11:18am
Whip wrote:
Too many rounds. I lose interest by round 48 (feels like 48 anyway). MX is far more interesting. Hate how circus-cross demolishes a third of the...
Too many rounds. I lose interest by round 48 (feels like 48 anyway).

MX is far more interesting. Hate how circus-cross demolishes a third of the field each year.
I enjoy both. I prob favor SX just because it seems too many A riders don't race MX for whatever reason. That and injuries, as you said. But I find that by the end of one, I'm ready for the other.

But hey, I know there are smart people here. Let's here the ideas. If you were hired to direct the program but were told you will have the same broadcast team, the same sponsor commitments requiring certain amount of air time...what would you do to improve the broadcast?

The Shop

zehn
10/9/2018 11:20am
TymeMoto wrote:
Hire Alessi full time
He was killer in the booth
flatout111
10/9/2018 11:24am
TymeMoto wrote:
Hire Alessi full time
Boom. First great suggestion. Or at least get him as part of the "College Gameday" roundtable thing I was suggesting earlier.

The 800, as I mentioned in my original post, is as great in the booth as is on track and he's new to it. Imagine how great he could be!
ledger
10/9/2018 11:36am
I'd like to see the top three running different color backgrounds. Points leader stays red, 2nd place run yellow, and 3rd position run green or blue. Would give the newcomer a better idea of...who is who. Could benefit the guy's in the booth as well.
mx196
Fantasy
4082nd
10/9/2018 12:11pm
Jeff thought Herlings took the lead in the MX2 + MX3 moto at Red Bud for about 3 corners until Ricky corrected him.
Frank
10/9/2018 12:17pm
I could care less about the announcing. Film the race from ground level only. This applies to the outdoor nationals as well. Watch a TGO video. That is the way to show the sport not stupid sky cam/scissor lift shit.
flatout111
10/9/2018 12:19pm
mx196 wrote:
Jeff thought Herlings took the lead in the MX2 + MX3 moto at Red Bud for about 3 corners until Ricky corrected him.
When Jeff is on he is good. When he's not...well, not so much.
flatout111
10/9/2018 12:23pm
Frank wrote:
I could care less about the announcing. Film the race from ground level only. This applies to the outdoor nationals as well. Watch a TGO video...
I could care less about the announcing. Film the race from ground level only. This applies to the outdoor nationals as well. Watch a TGO video. That is the way to show the sport not stupid sky cam/scissor lift shit.
I agree and disagree with your remark. I agree with the ground angles. I hate the sky cam. Again, go back to the ESPN shots. Lots of ground footage.

I disagree that announcing doesn't matter. As a matter of a fact, good/bad announcing can make or break a sporting event. I'm in the entertainment business and a good production...and that includes announcing, overlay stats, camera angles, segments...is crucial to an overall great package. In other sports, I watch teams that have good announcing teams. If they are bad, I'm out. And no, I don;t want to just hear the engines. I want the presentation which includes, the bike sounds, fans, announcing and the whole production.
BikeGuy321
10/9/2018 12:27pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2018 12:29pm
Jeff was really good for the Des Nations, and his co-host was well spoken and inteligent.. Makes me think that Ralph's brainless yelling and noob-ish statements like " he skies the triple," rubs off on Emig in a bad way. Even Ricky seemed a lot more insightful and inteligent over the weekend.

They should replace Ralphy with Todd Harris. He and Cameron Steele were good together when ESPN did the broadcast.
flatout111
10/9/2018 12:38pm
BikeGuy321 wrote:
Jeff was really good for the Des Nations, and his co-host was well spoken and inteligent.. Makes me think that Ralph's brainless yelling and noob-ish statements...
Jeff was really good for the Des Nations, and his co-host was well spoken and inteligent.. Makes me think that Ralph's brainless yelling and noob-ish statements like " he skies the triple," rubs off on Emig in a bad way. Even Ricky seemed a lot more insightful and inteligent over the weekend.

They should replace Ralphy with Todd Harris. He and Cameron Steele were good together when ESPN did the broadcast.
I, too, liked Todd Harris. I don't think it is the announcers as much as it is the directive. I think the powers that be instruct them to call it a Red Honda, etc. Ironically, that is something that crept into the MX broadcasts as well. But the SX broadcast seems like it is directed to be like 85% for the new fan and that is a mistake. And that isn't Ralph, Jeff or Ricky's fault. That is the directive they are given.

Ever watch Hockey Night in Canada? They bleed hockey. It is their religion. And they treat the presentation and broadcast with the reverence it deserves. It is intellectual and made for the fan. Newcomers aren't idiots. They'll catch on and when they do they will want a well prepared presentation to dive into.
Frank
10/9/2018 12:42pm
Frank wrote:
I could care less about the announcing. Film the race from ground level only. This applies to the outdoor nationals as well. Watch a TGO video...
flatout111 wrote:
I agree and disagree with your remark. I agree with the ground angles. I hate the sky cam. Again, go back to the ESPN shots. Lots...
I agree and disagree with your remark. I agree with the ground angles. I hate the sky cam. Again, go back to the ESPN shots. Lots of ground footage.

I disagree that announcing doesn't matter. As a matter of a fact, good/bad announcing can make or break a sporting event. I'm in the entertainment business and a good production...and that includes announcing, overlay stats, camera angles, segments...is crucial to an overall great package. In other sports, I watch teams that have good announcing teams. If they are bad, I'm out. And no, I don;t want to just hear the engines. I want the presentation which includes, the bike sounds, fans, announcing and the whole production.
I fully agree announcing matters and is very important for the non core viewers. Its just not a deal breaker for me personally as I know more about the riders/races/bikes/history than the announcers.
flatout111
10/9/2018 1:02pm
Frank wrote:
flatout111 wrote:
I agree and disagree with your remark. I agree with the ground angles. I hate the sky cam. Again, go back to the ESPN shots. Lots...

Frank wrote:
I fully agree announcing matters and is very important for the non core viewers. Its just not a deal breaker for me personally as I know...
I fully agree announcing matters and is very important for the non core viewers. Its just not a deal breaker for me personally as I know more about the riders/races/bikes/history than the announcers.
Yeah, I gotcha.

What I am trying to throw out there is that every year there are a massive amounts of complaints about the broadcast. I, personally, am very into broadcasting and the whole production side of things. I do the same with my shows. Just different genre. Most of the bashing is on Ralph and Fro. But these guys are pros. They have someone in their ear while talking. It's not easy. So I am cool with the team and personally think the world of Ralph. But it is the whole direction of the cater to the casuals that bug me and I think that and a few other things could be addressed. Thus just looking for other legitimate, plausible suggestions to make things better. Not just fire Ralph or get an internet package. I'm talking the 3 hour presentation we are given each Saturday. It does lack and could be much better.
thorns
10/9/2018 1:17pm
TymeMoto wrote:
Hire Alessi full time
zehn wrote:
Must have missed that, which race was he in the box for?
WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2889th
10/9/2018 1:29pm
During the race never go to helmet cam course previews, track side interviews, or whatever else without keeping the leader or best race for position also on the screen.

Add in some game day analysis between heats, LCQs, and mains. Matthes, JT, Weigandt, or whoever all do an awesome time in this format proven at the MXdN and a year or so back at Glenn Helen national, or whenever that was.
10/9/2018 1:31pm
I think it’s necessary for them to dumb it down a little bit. Not as much as they do now, but my chick is always asking questions about all kinds of stuff when she watches.

Now, it would be cool to see them spend more time talking about the tracks, bikes, technical side of things. I think the science of supercross thing was the right idea but it is REALLY dumbed down. I want to hear a mechanic or engineer go way in depth about the bike, how bike changes translate into on track, and more stuff about the day to day work of the teams. They could do it so it caters to the more serious fan but also makes sense to the casual fan. It’s almost like fox sports thinks the viewers are dumb and have never watched moto before.

I feel like that would give the more casual or new fans an idea of how much work and effort goes into this sport. And how much work it takes just to get to the races.
10/9/2018 1:32pm
Also, I think most importantly, the show needs to make people GET OUT AND RIDE. Besides making money, that should be on everyone’s list.
yz133rider
10/9/2018 1:36pm
Stop dumbing it down, follow the action better, stop going to replays at idiotic points in the race, triple crown every race, 2 rows of 11 for starts so top guys arent buried battling with lcq champs and wrecking the race
kb228
10/9/2018 1:40pm
The dream team: weege, langston, daniel blair
yz133rider
10/9/2018 1:42pm
kb228 wrote:
The dream team: weege, langston, daniel blair
Windham alessi weege
huck
10/9/2018 1:53pm
Ralph's interrupting is so irritating. I hate to see somebody lose their job, but maybe they could just have him go do race car stuff....
TymeMoto
10/9/2018 2:01pm
TymeMoto wrote:
Hire Alessi full time
zehn wrote:
thorns wrote:
Must have missed that, which race was he in the box for?
USGP, he was really solid
a22
10/9/2018 2:11pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2018 2:11pm
David Bailey would get it darn sorted I reckon!!
a22
10/9/2018 2:13pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2018 2:14pm
Herlings doing the commentary??! (joke) Shocked
10/9/2018 2:18pm
flatout111 wrote:
Warning! Detailed, lengthy post. Continue at your own risk. I, personally, really like Ralph and Jeff. Maybe they are no Art and David but heck, who...
Warning! Detailed, lengthy post. Continue at your own risk.

I, personally, really like Ralph and Jeff. Maybe they are no Art and David but heck, who is? Jenny is awesome but doubtful she'll be back full time. Blair is a star in the making...though I do think he needs to learn his MX/SX history more and I'm ok with RC for the most part. So the crew is fine, esp Ralph and Jeff who both take a lot of crap from people on Vital. So, assuming we have the same broadcast team (which I think we will), what are some LEGITIMATE and constructive ideas to make the broadcast much better?

Here are my two cents. And please, let's try to actually give ideas that might would be considered. No bashing of the broadcast team. That accomplishes nothing. Also, you have to bear in mind sponsors pay for the track map, holeshot, spider cam and certain segments so they WILL still be a part of the broadcast as those said sponsors pay for us to be on live TV each week.

1. First and foremost, I think the broadcast should be more geared towards the Supercross/Motocross fan. Not for the casual viewer. When I watch a LA Kings hockey broadcast (go Kings), Bob and Jim (and now Alex and Jim) do not explain every minute thing as if it is the first time I've watched the sport. Yes, you want to grow new fans and for them to understand it but we shouldn't dumb it down. Supercross is big but it is still quite a niche sport and most watching it know it. So let's make the analysis in depth and solid. Think Troy Aikman in the booth. I think this is a legitimate complaint and something that could be easily remedied. Trust me. Ralph is a Pro and Jeff does know SX as good as anyone. NFL pays people to throw the broadcast team cues and inside info Why can't we?

2. Try to learn from the late 90's ESPN broadcasts. Yes, I know they were voice overs. But still, they treated it very, very professionally and you would learn a lot each broadcast with mechanics being mic'ed up, intervals with Honda Stopwatch (it now could be Cooper Tire stopwatch, for example), etc. So much good in those broadcasts.

3. I love Ralph and Jeff and think they are great at what they do (it's hard people, I've tried it), but I do wish they would both do a better job of really calling the race. It is a bit too much for the casual viewer (see #1). I want to know lap times, intervals, etc and basically if you've ever heard the old Pace Supercross audio webcasts with Chad Damiani and Jim Holley and later Weege and Holley...you could almost just close your eyes and you still knew exactly what was going on. I've often found that, in sports, that radio calls are better than tv pbp. They have to be as they are painting the visual picture thru audio only. We don't have audio coverage of our sport, unfortunately, so I wish our current team could bridge that gap between the two different mediums by being more detailed.

4. I realize that Toyota brings money into our sport and we need them but I want THEM to do a better job at bringing segments that aren't so...well, honestly, so lame. Their segments need to strongly relate to Supercross. Not about building cars or women who ride. There should be no special segments for any different gender who rides. Someone's gender is irrelevant. The military thing, I skipped constantly, the makeup to mud...well, my Wife actually found it kinda offensive. Lol. Anyway, focus on segments that are about Supercross. There is a lot to learn for all of us if they take the time to give us good content.

5. Lose the social media segments. It is horrible. You don't see that in a NFL game or NHL game. And if you do it is done with just a scrolling Tweet like Motocross does it. Don't make it such a segment. Fans don;t care about seeing people's kids or people's bikes in their house. Prob the lamest thing on the broadcast along with the Toyota segments the past two years.

6. Just a few content ideas. Mechanic interviews, mechanics mic'ed, bike details, inside the broadcast booth and the makings of a SX broadcast, the making of a track, media day coverage.

7. College Gameday roundtable (esp at Triple Crown races) with the likes of The 800 (who is great in the booth, btw), MC, RC, KW, Holley, Blair and guests. Maybe even Stew. Smile

Anyway...let's here some good suggestions. Please, keep it constructive.

I personally agree with 90% of your post. BUT I feel that what benefits us as fans and what benefits the sport in growing/gaining fans is at cross purposes.

Bc let's face it. All of us here are going to watch the race anyway. We'll grit our teeth and bear the Social Media crap or Makeup To Mud or purposely dumbed-down commentary bc we want to watch the race. Period. In other words, they HAVE us already. Everything else is just icing on the cake.
flatout111
10/9/2018 2:18pm
Yeah, Mikey was great.

I think we will have the same broadcast team, guys. I know everyone would like their dream team (mine is Art and David) but the fact is that Ralph and Fro are professional and I think they do a good job but I do think it could be better, presentation wise. And I also would like them to call the race more. More like true pbp. We've had a few suggestions here that I appreciate. Most of the people's solution is to get new people but I'm telling you, if they are told to dumb it down they will not be any better.

I agree upon not cutting to a track map during race but again, sometimes time schedules are tight and they HAVE to get that in. That sponsor is paying for that time. There is so much that has to fit into the time frame. With all that being said, there can be a much more useful use of time when it comes to the social media and those Toyota segments. The Toyota segment is money from a huge sponsor so we should be thankful for them but they need to do something better. The last two years Toyota segments have been brutal and I skipped all of them after the first few.
10/9/2018 2:21pm
Limit the number of times the EXACT same commerical can be shown during the broadcast. I do not need to see the same Toyota ad 14 fucking times in the same broadcast.

Diversify your ads like every other professional sport in existence.

Post a reply to: Constructive ideas to improve the Monster Energy Supercross broadcast

The Latest