Constructive ideas for the broadcast

nickm
Keeping things positive:

1. The purpose of the heat races is to see who makes it to the main event. Under current format this is top 9 in a heat. Please show the top 9 cross the finish. This isn't the hunger games so while the winner is interesting, so are the 8 riders following.

2. The purpose of the LCQ is to see who makes it to the main event, Under current format that is the top 4. Much like the heat races, this isn't the hunger games so while the winner is interesting, would be nice to see all 4 cross the finish. I like that they sometimes follow interesting riders who are not necessarily in the top 4, bonus points if they can pull off both.

3. For the main event, much like the previous races - this isn't the hunger games, when the winner crosses the line all the other riders remain well and alive. At the very least please show the top 3 cross the line, win-place-show is a format that's been around for a couple hundred years since horse racing started, no different here.

4. Given the short time each of these events run, please do not show replays from other events during the race and please limit insightful analysis to under 20 seconds. Ideally show race incidents that impact the race (such as a mistake or crash) in a split screen format - typically the broadcast is good at this but, friendly reminder.

5. Kind of don't care about everything else, do flagger segments or guest appearances or whatever else works to broaden the appeal of the sport and fills stadiums / sells bikes and gear. Maybe try a couple of new camera angles to stretch the boundaries of broadcast - let your film team be creative.

6. Bonus points for the coverage last night on MotoGP riders on their dirt bikes. MotoGP has a HUGE global following, so I'd suspect if you are going to gain viewers, this is a very fertile field to pick from.
|
StevieTimes
3/21/2021 9:45am
They had a pit board segment. I'd be curious to see what the board looks like at speed; with other boards out. How much text can they actually read? Obviously not a book of text. What is the practical limit on how much text can be consumed during a quick fly by when trying to find your board out of the others?
tickleme20
3/21/2021 10:09am
They had a pit board segment. I'd be curious to see what the board looks like at speed; with other boards out. How much text can...
They had a pit board segment. I'd be curious to see what the board looks like at speed; with other boards out. How much text can they actually read? Obviously not a book of text. What is the practical limit on how much text can be consumed during a quick fly by when trying to find your board out of the others?
I've actually wondered that myself. I'm sure a message that's simultaneously as concise and informative as possible is an art unto itself.

Personally I can't imagine myself even reading one at all in the heat of the moment.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
3/21/2021 10:20am
I’ve had 2 pit boards held for me, “BRING BEER” at an Elsinore Gran Prix, and “TRY THE THROTTLE” at a gang race. Short and to the point Laughing
rhargrave431
3/21/2021 10:21am
My only complaint is when they go to a split screen. I bet if you measure space, there is more of the screen that has the results on it, and the blue screen, than that of the split screens.

The Shop

bigk218
Fantasy
3155th
3/21/2021 12:49pm
Allow pause and rewind on the peacock app. If I could rewind I would have watched the whole race but instead I missed the heats so I just caught the mains. They lost out on 1.5 hrs of me watching.
Sully
3/21/2021 4:18pm
I definitely agree with #1. It pissed me off yesterday in 250 Heat 1, when they cut away from a great battle for the last transfer spot to show McAdoo cross the line and ride down the start straight. I don't need to see that, I want to see racing.
Igy
3/21/2021 7:02pm
Top 10 things I'd like to see more of during coverage.
1) Lap times.
2) Pit boards.
3) Lap times.
4) Riders prep on start line.
5) Lap times.
6) Gate grooming.
7) Lap times.
8) Riders interactions after checkers.
9) Lap times.
10) Lap times.
DLP600
3/21/2021 7:12pm
My only complaint is when they go to a split screen. I bet if you measure space, there is more of the screen that has the...
My only complaint is when they go to a split screen. I bet if you measure space, there is more of the screen that has the results on it, and the blue screen, than that of the split screens.
Split screen NEVER!
3/22/2021 10:14am
My only complaint is when they go to a split screen. I bet if you measure space, there is more of the screen that has the...
DLP600 wrote:
Split screen NEVER!
Split screen to show a second battle for position in the same race. Never split screen to show anything else. And make both screens the same size so it fills the full screen.
mxtech1
3/22/2021 10:19am
Give the Top 10 riders in championship points a helmet camera that can stream in live time. Create a viewer interface website where the person watching the race can get a split screen view of any helmet cam they select. IMO, it would be pretty badass to be able to select which rider you wanted to watch based on the battles developing during the main.
rbspecial138
Fantasy
955th
3/22/2021 10:30am
I have been thinking more and more that instead of showing all of the highlights from 'last week' and even some of the highlights from the current race (ex. Plessinger and Ferrandis Battle for 8th) during the race, instead these would go in nicely AFTER the main event in some type of 30 min. post-race recap where they have the time to go and replay the major passes from the race a few times from a few angles and really break it down for the serious fan. It would be a good place to discuss penalties, moves from the lcq, crashes and more. Every stick and ball sport has this, and it allows the broadcast crew to stick with the leaders for most for the race without breaking away for a dumb segment or split screen.
mac3-d
3/22/2021 1:05pm
The background noise is too loud, over the announcers Nearly sounds like the olympics swimming din
mb60
3/22/2021 1:11pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2021 1:12pm
Instead of wasting time with interviews about Nascar guys or wrestling folks. Let's do a 5 minute interview with a privateer. Where he comes from how he gets to the races. What does he do on the road and how does he live. Something that spreads the word of the guys who make up the night show.
hamncheeze
3/22/2021 4:20pm
Now that everything is moving toward streaming platform, the concept of having to cram everything into a 3-hour window is less and less important. What I would really like to see is a post-race show, after the flag, whatever. Throw to a studio and have someone like Weigandt or Robbie Floyd there hosting with a roundtable of guys to discuss the action immediately post-race. MC, Emig, Windham, Reed, Canard, DV, Ward, O'Mara, Bailey, RJ, Dungey, RV, Seely, Stanton, Bradshaw, Langston, Weimer, Peick....there is NO SHORTAGE of guys who could get involved. Pick 2-3 of them. Make it 30 minutes, give them 10 to discuss the 250 race and 20 to discuss the 450 race.

Would anyone want to watch this?
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2582nd
3/22/2021 4:35pm
so much dead time where nothing is happening on the screen between racers. 20mins until the 450 main just after the 250's. Staring at a fish eye lens of a stadium.

why cant they interview the mechanics or riders on the gate like they use too?
or a segment where they walk around the pits and behind the scenes of the trucks and that.

I just hate how much time gets wasted staring a blank screen.
3/22/2021 4:36pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2021 4:37pm
hamncheeze wrote:
Now that everything is moving toward streaming platform, the concept of having to cram everything into a 3-hour window is less and less important. What I...
Now that everything is moving toward streaming platform, the concept of having to cram everything into a 3-hour window is less and less important. What I would really like to see is a post-race show, after the flag, whatever. Throw to a studio and have someone like Weigandt or Robbie Floyd there hosting with a roundtable of guys to discuss the action immediately post-race. MC, Emig, Windham, Reed, Canard, DV, Ward, O'Mara, Bailey, RJ, Dungey, RV, Seely, Stanton, Bradshaw, Langston, Weimer, Peick....there is NO SHORTAGE of guys who could get involved. Pick 2-3 of them. Make it 30 minutes, give them 10 to discuss the 250 race and 20 to discuss the 450 race.

You know, that's a pretty good idea. I suggested something similar in the Rutledge thread, but I was thinking something more along the lines of a trackside roundtable after the heat races to replace the meaningless filler segments. Doing it immediately after the race would allow for hot takes on the main events, too.

There's nothing to prevent any of the guys you mentioned for doing a sort-of "outlaw" podcast immediately after each race. They won't be able to show video clips of the race because Feld would step on their dicks in two seconds flat, but with minimal staff they could discuss the race while we're all still amp'd up over it.

Why not do both!
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2582nd
3/22/2021 4:39pm
hamncheeze wrote:
Now that everything is moving toward streaming platform, the concept of having to cram everything into a 3-hour window is less and less important. What I...

like they do with the NBA!!!!!!! would 100% love to see this.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
3/22/2021 4:51pm
hamncheeze wrote:

As much as I like the idea and would watch it, studio time cost money and the analysts probably won't work for free.
It would come down to money and from the look of the trophies lately and lack of spectators,Let alone a studio show with big name Ex racers. I don't see it happening, but a good idea.
hamncheeze
3/22/2021 5:21pm
neverwas wrote:
As much as I like the idea and would watch it, studio time cost money and the analysts probably won't work for free. It would come...
As much as I like the idea and would watch it, studio time cost money and the analysts probably won't work for free.
It would come down to money and from the look of the trophies lately and lack of spectators,Let alone a studio show with big name Ex racers. I don't see it happening, but a good idea.
I don't think it will happen either, but it would just take one sponsor to step up to cover it. If I'm Discount Tire I would argue being the presenter of the post-race is more valuabe than being on the banners in the stadium.
cable
3/22/2021 6:41pm
cameras on the floor. buried, whatever. If youve ever ridden sx or walked the course you know how steep those jumps are. also would add something like the nascar camera on the wall. turn it up! Smile
3/23/2021 11:45am
Id like to see a "legends" segment that recapped how the racer got into the spport in the first place and how the career went so the "new" fan could learn about the history of the sport instead of what a pit board is used for.
HondaFan33
3/23/2021 2:49pm
Broadcast needs more broads. What happened to the hot chicks?

Post a reply to: Constructive ideas for the broadcast

The Latest