Considering getting a new rmz450

Rotaholic
11/4/2018 5:38pm
My 14 rmz450 with kyb forks works great. Easy to ride fast. Only issue i have with my bike is the shifting is a little clunky...
My 14 rmz450 with kyb forks works great. Easy to ride fast. Only issue i have with my bike is the shifting is a little clunky. When I go to rebuild it. I'm sending out the transmission for tumbling
Try changing the shifter, the hammerhead works really well. Stock shifter has a funny bend to it
yz133rider
11/4/2018 5:42pm
I actually did switch to the stock coupler after the first time out and ur right it was better.

Was tempted to try the rich one too but was trying to not change stuff nonstop all day long lol. Fiddled with alotta stuff as it was lol
11/4/2018 5:52pm
My 14 rmz450 with kyb forks works great. Easy to ride fast. Only issue i have with my bike is the shifting is a little clunky...
My 14 rmz450 with kyb forks works great. Easy to ride fast. Only issue i have with my bike is the shifting is a little clunky. When I go to rebuild it. I'm sending out the transmission for tumbling
Rotaholic wrote:
Try changing the shifter, the hammerhead works really well. Stock shifter has a funny bend to it
Already have it. I might try the aftermarket shift detent spring .
11/4/2018 11:15pm
Rotaholic wrote:
I find my shifter too short which I think caused me to hit a false neutral twice on the same part of the track where I was off the back of the bike chasing high speed traction

The Shop

RussB
Fantasy
1164th
11/4/2018 11:53pm
yz133rider wrote:
Ok ride report Engine is super friendly/manageable. Very smooth power all the way thru. Its not a fire breathing 450 by any means but it puts...
Ok ride report

Engine is super friendly/manageable. Very smooth power all the way thru. Its not a fire breathing 450 by any means but it puts the power down with no drama or excess.

Handling on point.

Brakes - eh. Might make some changes there.

Mapping - stalled a few times throughout the day while manuevering in the pits or on the side of the track, almost stalled in a corner once. Turned the idle up some seemed to help. Seems like a combination of clutch drag and or mapping on the low end.

Suspension. Love it. Went in a couple clicks, wrong way, went out 2 from stock and it was a big improvement.
The shock is great, didnt kick wierd on some faces that normally are rough.

With how it hooks up and puts power down i put lines together that i normally wouldnt try. It can power right out from the inside no problem.

Compared to the husky the brakes, clutch, low end mapping, and weight are noticeable at times. I did get pumped up and out of breath quicker. But some adjustments to the bike and to me i think ill be ahead of the game.

For the money its seriously a hell of a bike.
Pulls further on top then the 15 kawi i had. Way more usable. The 17 crf i rode was stronger overall but honestly i dont want or need a fire breathing 450 they get too tiring and outta hand quick.

Cant wait to make a couple tweaks and try it again.
Pull the clutch pack out and remove the 2 'judder' springs that are at the base of the pack by the clutch basket.

This will drastically reduce clutch drag and improve the feel of the bite point.

yz133rider
11/10/2018 3:46pm
Ill be honest ive never ridden any rmz450 before this one. From all other reviews ive read it hasnt lost any cornering.
mxwilly
11/10/2018 4:37pm
Hearing lots good about the new bikes - 18/19 sound great. Have an 08 with only 65hrs on it. Thinking about either upgrading 10years or just spending a bit of money updating mine. Already have my suspension done, akrapovic exhaust, few goodies. So was thinking of spending a couple $ on the motor to freshen it up or just sell now and upgrade 10 years! Keep the reviews coming! Thanks
Eddieg15
11/10/2018 4:39pm
yz133rider wrote:
Soooo im thinking about getting a new rmz450. I had a 15 kx450 and hated it. It felt like a dump truck, brutal power delivery, felt...
Soooo im thinking about getting a new rmz450. I had a 15 kx450 and hated it. It felt like a dump truck, brutal power delivery, felt heavy, felt tiring, all arm pump and fighting it.

Rode a 17 crf450 and besides suspension settings i really liked it. Felt light, engine was more usable.

Would a 18 rmz with suspension set up amd possibly a yosh exhaust be more like a newer crf or that 15 kawi?

Any insight is appreciated.

Currently on a 17 husky 350 that i love but the new rmz's pricing and handling traits/49mm spring forks seems appealing to me.
Hated my 15 kx also at 16 hrs I gave up
yz133rider
11/11/2018 8:07pm
The bar bend feels way off to me. Going to go with the oem husky bend, i felt way comfortable standing on that bike think it was the bar bend.

This rmz throttle has so much play in it. Installed odi grips and adjusted the play out as much as i could but its still so sloppy. Its funny how much small things can bother you!
yz133rider
12/28/2018 10:54pm
Got a set of pro pegs, full yosh exhaust, pro taper oe husky bend bars, new chain, and michelin tires for her.

I took it out 3 times so far and considering the time of year Thats a good amount of riding! I like it more each time on it. Haven't installed any of the parts yet they just came in. Can't wait to try it all out.

Post a reply to: Considering getting a new rmz450

The Latest