Considering getting a new rmz450

yz133rider
Edited Date/Time 12/29/2018 5:35am
Soooo im thinking about getting a new rmz450. I had a 15 kx450 and hated it. It felt like a dump truck, brutal power delivery, felt heavy, felt tiring, all arm pump and fighting it.

Rode a 17 crf450 and besides suspension settings i really liked it. Felt light, engine was more usable.

Would a 18 rmz with suspension set up amd possibly a yosh exhaust be more like a newer crf or that 15 kawi?

Any insight is appreciated.

Currently on a 17 husky 350 that i love but the new rmz's pricing and handling traits/49mm spring forks seems appealing to me.
|
10/3/2018 5:34am
keep that husky and put a kyb cartrige kit in the forks and then just love it.
c0ncEpT
10/3/2018 5:54am
I have a buddy looking to do the same thing.

He's trying to sell his 2018 350SXF and is looking at left over 17-18 RMZ450's for dirt cheap. You can do a lot of mods to the RMZ for the cost of a new KTM or similar jap bike.
Kyle_McNab
10/3/2018 6:17am
Honda and Suzuki are some what similar. Both handle well with smooth power. I’ve rode the kawi and yami they are a lil difficult to handle. The power was great but really didn’t feel comfortable at all. Can’t go wrong the the Suzuki. Just get you fork and shock dailed with a exhaust than you’ll be set
Steadman
10/3/2018 6:26am
yz133rider wrote:
Soooo im thinking about getting a new rmz450. I had a 15 kx450 and hated it. It felt like a dump truck, brutal power delivery, felt...
Soooo im thinking about getting a new rmz450. I had a 15 kx450 and hated it. It felt like a dump truck, brutal power delivery, felt heavy, felt tiring, all arm pump and fighting it.

Rode a 17 crf450 and besides suspension settings i really liked it. Felt light, engine was more usable.

Would a 18 rmz with suspension set up amd possibly a yosh exhaust be more like a newer crf or that 15 kawi?

Any insight is appreciated.

Currently on a 17 husky 350 that i love but the new rmz's pricing and handling traits/49mm spring forks seems appealing to me.
I would get a hold of the Teamgreen gentleman on here. He currently owns the RMZ and seems to have legit time on a variety of current motorcycles. Probably going to be your best source of real world feedback.

The Shop

JohnMatrix
10/3/2018 6:45am
You mentioned liking the 17 crf, have you considered a leftover 18? They can be had for a pretty good deal. More than the rmz but really the bike doesn't need much. I just switched to an 18 crf450 from a 17 ktm 350 with cone valves. I'm loving the Honda. Power is perfect on this bike for me, it's a much more exciting bike to ride over the 350. Delivery is linear like the 350 but the bike just picks up and goes with less effort. Suspension is good and a revalve may be the only thing I do to the bike just to make it perfect. Something to consider.
BobPA
10/3/2018 6:45am
I would ride one first. I've ridden a handful of Suzuki's through the years, and have never really liked one. They have this mythical aura of being able to turn so well...I never felt it. The Honda's and KTM's do everything better IMO. The only thing you will be doing is owning a cheaper bike....and using a kick starter
DTR830
Fantasy
1105th
10/3/2018 7:25am
BobPA wrote:
I would ride one first. I've ridden a handful of Suzuki's through the years, and have never really liked one. They have this mythical aura of...
I would ride one first. I've ridden a handful of Suzuki's through the years, and have never really liked one. They have this mythical aura of being able to turn so well...I never felt it. The Honda's and KTM's do everything better IMO. The only thing you will be doing is owning a cheaper bike....and using a kick starter
with Suzuki's horrendous resale value
Preston412
10/3/2018 7:37am
I have had several KX450's the last one being a 17. I recently purchased the 18 RMZ450 and there is absolutely nothing negative about it, the suspension needs to be done, no different then any other brand, the lower link is a big plus to balance out the bike overall. It has no lack of power, I holeshot often with a stock motor and yosh system and even with being a heavier bike, it is more nimble in the air and in corners then the kawi was.

So, I would suggest getting one, you won't be disappointed. There was no real change for the 19 so an 18 will be fine.
get the link and put it on, raise the fork tubes 1 MM and an aftermarket exhaust and you are good to go. Otherwise, do the suspension now or later for your skill level.
AZRider
10/3/2018 10:18am
I am in the exact same boat. I have a 17 FC350 with 50 mostly easy hours, and have had older RMZ's that I really enjoyed. I have been toying with the idea of buying a leftover 18 that I can get new for $5100 and then do suspension and HC piston, exhaust.

Then I started reading more about Crowers 350 mods and 63 hp with torque at 8k rpm that seems to basically match the RMZ.

So I don't know what I will do, but you are not the only one thinking about it.
JWACK
10/3/2018 10:27am
Sold my 350. Went to an 18 Honda 450 after trying to buy an 18 rmz 450. Wish I would have waited and got the rmz and maybe I would still be happy on the 4 banger. Sold the 4 stroke and have been riding 125, 250 and 500 twostrokes this summer. Haven't missed the 450 one time.
10/3/2018 10:40am Edited Date/Time 10/3/2018 10:40am
c0ncEpT wrote:
I have a buddy looking to do the same thing. He's trying to sell his 2018 350SXF and is looking at left over 17-18 RMZ450's for...

He's trying to sell his 2018 350SXF and is looking at left over 17-18 RMZ450's for dirt cheap. You can do a lot of mods to the RMZ for the cost of a new KTM or similar jap bike.
Yea but why would you want to ? Austrians are steppin up that quality game right off the assembly line. No need to modify.
10/3/2018 10:45am
Also thinking about switching to a newer RMZ from my '16 KXF. I have no doubt that I'd be satisfied with one. High comp piston, exhaust, revalve and sprung, maybe an ignition, done. It's either that or a '19 KX for a couple grand more that I'd still do the suspension on and buy an exhaust for.
Gilby122
10/3/2018 11:16am
I had a 350 sxf. Loved the bike, but couldn't pass up a two year upgrade and trying a 450 again for minimal cost difference. Bought the RMZ...pipe, plastics, grips, filters, sprockets, chains, etc. So far I've loved the bike! Very smooth. I don't regret my decision. Can definitely feel in my arms it rides me a bit more than the 350, but money wise I'm still ahead and am loving what I bought. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
10/3/2018 11:57am
Do it!

It wont be the "best bike ever" but it wont be bad either. After you get comfy - and tailor it to your needs - it's a damn good bike. The "slower power" is STILL plenty for ANYONE and it will turn great lap times easier than more engine.
"lug" it some rather than rev it on long straights - and it is just as solid as the other bikes up till about 50 mph

Do yourself a huge favor - and BEFORE you do ANYTHING to the bike - other than set sag - ride it 15 hours (if you ride frequently).

After that time - move sag up and down - clickers around - tires/tire pressure...and fork height.
But doing all that before you have 15 hours on it - is a waste. At hour 0 you are trying to fit a bike to YOU in your immediate wants off a different bike.

But after some time - you have adapted a little to bike - learned its in and outs, making adjustments has more effectiveness. A production bike has a LOT of time behind it - and is suited to its unique quirks and chassis better than most people can immediately fix when they hop on a bike. Even the "stinkbug" feel being reported - has some advantages at times.

Years back - in 2014 - we figured out the yzf450 like the forks up in the clamps - and sag around 98-100. It was stinkbug in feel - but it worked best this way in all regards - EVEN stability. Once you could get a rider to focus on HOW the bike worked this way - rather than HOW he said it "felt" just sitting on it etc..they were dead sold....
Too many people and racers tried to make the bike FEEL how they thought they wanted - lowereing the rear - sticking the forks out far - etc..and the bike just worked terribly

yz133rider
10/3/2018 2:48pm
Some good feedback. I think im gonna go for it. Anyone have a lead on good otd pricing within 6hrs or so of south eastern pa im all ears
Mungusman
10/3/2018 5:00pm
yz133rider wrote:
Some good feedback. I think im gonna go for it. Anyone have a lead on good otd pricing within 6hrs or so of south eastern pa...
Some good feedback. I think im gonna go for it. Anyone have a lead on good otd pricing within 6hrs or so of south eastern pa im all ears
Hillview Motorsports in Latrobe, PA had some good deals on them if I remember correctly
Mungusman
10/3/2018 6:15pm Edited Date/Time 10/3/2018 6:21pm
Hillview Motorsports in Latrobe, pa, has a listed price of 5999.00 for a 2018.I don’t know about fees. But that other ones a long drive. Guess my post above wasn’t worth reading
Rotaholic
10/3/2018 6:26pm
Do it! It wont be the "best bike ever" but it wont be bad either. After you get comfy - and tailor it to your needs...
Do it!

It wont be the "best bike ever" but it wont be bad either. After you get comfy - and tailor it to your needs - it's a damn good bike. The "slower power" is STILL plenty for ANYONE and it will turn great lap times easier than more engine.
"lug" it some rather than rev it on long straights - and it is just as solid as the other bikes up till about 50 mph

Do yourself a huge favor - and BEFORE you do ANYTHING to the bike - other than set sag - ride it 15 hours (if you ride frequently).

After that time - move sag up and down - clickers around - tires/tire pressure...and fork height.
But doing all that before you have 15 hours on it - is a waste. At hour 0 you are trying to fit a bike to YOU in your immediate wants off a different bike.

But after some time - you have adapted a little to bike - learned its in and outs, making adjustments has more effectiveness. A production bike has a LOT of time behind it - and is suited to its unique quirks and chassis better than most people can immediately fix when they hop on a bike. Even the "stinkbug" feel being reported - has some advantages at times.

Years back - in 2014 - we figured out the yzf450 like the forks up in the clamps - and sag around 98-100. It was stinkbug in feel - but it worked best this way in all regards - EVEN stability. Once you could get a rider to focus on HOW the bike worked this way - rather than HOW he said it "felt" just sitting on it etc..they were dead sold....
Too many people and racers tried to make the bike FEEL how they thought they wanted - lowereing the rear - sticking the forks out far - etc..and the bike just worked terribly

Great advice! Just to hijack this thread, I have a full Ti yosh and vortex ecu. Do you think a hi-comp piston would make much difference in this engine? We run 98 octane pump gas here in New Zealand.
murph783
10/3/2018 6:41pm
yz133rider wrote:
Some good feedback. I think im gonna go for it. Anyone have a lead on good otd pricing within 6hrs or so of south eastern pa...
I don’t know how far it is from you but I’m at a dealership in Enfield, CT. Got a 2017 for I believe $5600 and a 2018 I can’t recall the price on, I’ll check tomorrow and send pictures if you’re interested. No crazy fees or anything, just that plus tax.
yz133rider
10/3/2018 6:46pm
yz133rider wrote:
murph783 wrote:
I don’t know how far it is from you but I’m at a dealership in Enfield, CT. Got a 2017 for I believe $5600 and a...
I don’t know how far it is from you but I’m at a dealership in Enfield, CT. Got a 2017 for I believe $5600 and a 2018 I can’t recall the price on, I’ll check tomorrow and send pictures if you’re interested. No crazy fees or anything, just that plus tax.
Out of state shouldnt be tax, check for me let me know 5999 is the nunber so far.

And before anyone cries about not supporting dealers by shopping around. Well too bad the only point of the rmz is cheap, so shopping around is it lol.
10/3/2018 6:53pm
Rotaholic wrote:
Great advice! Just to hijack this thread, I have a full Ti yosh and vortex ecu. Do you think a hi-comp piston would make much difference...
Great advice! Just to hijack this thread, I have a full Ti yosh and vortex ecu. Do you think a hi-comp piston would make much difference in this engine? We run 98 octane pump gas here in New Zealand.
Up to 13.5:1 ok for you at that fuel and set up - more likely be worse.

A flat piston shape is ideal once you get a lot of “pop” up to get more comp you loose burn speed generally and gain weight

Ive liked the CP offerring box bridged with dlc pin in the past - havent dyno the new wiseco racer elite on the rmz but have used it on some other builds with good sucess and the JE offerings are always great

Limited experience on wossners for 4t so dont know there
JB 19
10/3/2018 7:06pm
Honda's and Suzuki's both turn well, but in my opinion the Suzuki is going to have a more compliant chassis in rough conditions. The Honda just wasn't built for chewed up rough tracks.
motomike894
10/3/2018 7:33pm
I love my 18, suspension after being valved and sprung is flawless, power is mild i want more torque for sure but I’m also a pretty heavy decently quick rider so that doesn’t help.

I have 42 hours on it and the only issue I’ve had is I’ve worn out the peg pins and mounts ( happens on every bike I own ) and I went with a Hinson clutch because I usually like the heavier springs but having some issues with it too and looks like clutch basket is little loose, I replaced bearing that’s on shaft and etc but still looser than should be ( wiggly ) makes some noise when I use it harder with the Hinson clutch kit with oem one in it, it doesn’t do it, so that’s kind of odd, must be the springs just that much heavier, this winter I’ll probably just get whole Hinson set up.

My rims are even straight still which I’m shocked on.

I have full FMF pipe and had my intake cam gear advanced both made improvements, I’ll rebuild it this winter and get high comp piston and probably have head ported hopefully get me the little more snap I’m looking for.

But yeah I love it.
Racer111
10/3/2018 7:41pm
This is the 1st Suzuki I have ever owned and I LOVE it. I’ve had an entire slew of bikes since 2001 and this one is hands down my favorite.
c0ncEpT
10/4/2018 5:37am
c0ncEpT wrote:
I have a buddy looking to do the same thing. He's trying to sell his 2018 350SXF and is looking at left over 17-18 RMZ450's for...

Yea but why would you want to ? Austrians are steppin up that quality game right off the assembly line. No need to modify.
Because he wants a 450. The Austrian 450s are 9-10K. RMZ's can be had for like 6K.

Post a reply to: Considering getting a new rmz450

The Latest