Conor Fields down hard

CraigCrashes
Fantasy
1788th
8/1/2021 7:55pm
This can’t help but make me think of helmet safety.
Sawfish wrote:
I think he rides for fly so no reason to question the quality of the helmet.
What was he going, maybe 15 mph? Internal brain bleeding… Of course you have to question it.
15mph LOL. Shows how qualified you are to comment on this and start talking about helmets haha
toroP
8/1/2021 7:56pm
mx510 wrote:
That was douchey as hell. Fuck that Mahieu guy.
I watched every heat, semi, and the final. Fields made similar moves during the event. It seems unfortunately common. And this, they said, was tame, compared to events on narrower tracks.
Silas444
8/1/2021 8:38pm
toroP wrote:
I watched every heat, semi, and the final. Fields made similar moves during the event. It seems unfortunately common. And this, they said, was tame, compared...
I watched every heat, semi, and the final. Fields made similar moves during the event. It seems unfortunately common. And this, they said, was tame, compared to events on narrower tracks.
If that's true, maybe the sport needs a bit of a re-think regarding track design? Maybe make the start straight shorter so they're not all at critical-mass speed when they get to the first turn? Or wait - let me guess - BMX wants to be more like Nascar, and they're convinced their fans are also drawn to the splendidly spectacular carnage of "The Big One."
toroP
8/1/2021 11:05pm
toroP wrote:
I watched every heat, semi, and the final. Fields made similar moves during the event. It seems unfortunately common. And this, they said, was tame, compared...
Silas444 wrote:
If that's true, maybe the sport needs a bit of a re-think regarding track design? Maybe make the start straight shorter so they're not all at...
If that's true, maybe the sport needs a bit of a re-think regarding track design? Maybe make the start straight shorter so they're not all at critical-mass speed when they get to the first turn? Or wait - let me guess - BMX wants to be more like Nascar, and they're convinced their fans are also drawn to the splendidly spectacular carnage of "The Big One."
US women’s finalist: Husband in wheelchair from crash
Aus women’s finalist: brother relearning to walk and talk after brain injury

Both women had nasty crashes in final

The Shop

Chappa
8/2/2021 12:39am
toroP wrote:
Silas444 wrote:
If that's true, maybe the sport needs a bit of a re-think regarding track design? Maybe make the start straight shorter so they're not all at...
toroP wrote:
US women’s finalist: Husband in wheelchair from crash Aus women’s finalist: brother relearning to walk and talk after brain injury Both women had nasty crashes in...
US women’s finalist: Husband in wheelchair from crash
Aus women’s finalist: brother relearning to walk and talk after brain injury

Both women had nasty crashes in final
Unfortunately there are plenty who never made the world stage who have life altering injuries as well.

Sam and Kai are two individuals that have my utmost respect.

Being fortunate to get to my age (old) having raced motocross and BMX for over 35 years I don't know what the answer is. I get to ride with some of the local pro's and they love the new style of tracks. They are fast, big jumps and rock hard. To me it is not as fun as it was 25 years ago when I was an elite racer. I just do it for fitness now and do the odd old farts race.

We never faced the speeds and the size of the jumps they do now. I love watching them though.

Most non-BMX people who don't know who the riders are, are gob-smacked when they see the size of these guys. They are supreme athletes. The Olympics forced that on the sport, both men and womens are just so much faster.

It got Vital talking about it though. Just a shame it took Conners injury. I am a bit biased with Conner though, I ride a Chase.

An interesting side note, all of the Pro's that I know wear MX helmets and not MTB or bike specific helmets. I have never asked any of them why.
Hank_Thrill
8/2/2021 7:14am
FGR01 wrote:
"Why do you think Niek Kimman’s win was so impressive?" Because he didn't wreck half the field to achieve it. Anyone see the difference here? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/07/30/503564/s1200_BMX5.jpg[/img]...
"Why do you think Niek Kimman’s win was so impressive?"

Because he didn't wreck half the field to achieve it.

Anyone see the difference here?

I'm a huge Connor fan and wish him a speedy recovery. I'm gutted for him.

That said, the reason the wreck happened is because Connor made a mistake. He had a solid lead going into the first turn until he over jumped one of the landings. It killed his momentum and allowed the rider he clipped wheels with get ahead of him.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
8/2/2021 7:47am
This can’t help but make me think of helmet safety.
Sawfish wrote:
I think he rides for fly so no reason to question the quality of the helmet.
What was he going, maybe 15 mph? Internal brain bleeding… Of course you have to question it.
Closer to 30-40.
DEMONDAVE
8/2/2021 8:51am
pbody wrote:
I was surprised that Connor had qualified for the final after not crossing the finish line. If Connor and anyone else had already qualified for the...
I was surprised that Connor had qualified for the final after not crossing the finish line. If Connor and anyone else had already qualified for the final, why even line-up? Or if you need to at least roll off the gate and start, why not just roll around the track? When a gold medal is on the line, it seems like you'd take the safe route and ensure you're 100% ready for the gold medal run, so just not sure what the rules are. Kinda confusing.
It was for gate pick I believe
The good news is Connor is on the mend per the reports on Facebook last night
Can answer all questions he was ask

Post a reply to: Conor Fields down hard

The Latest