Cone Valve Settings

A_Wise1
Who has had a set of cone valves set up by major suspension companies and what did you think? Have anyone tried multiple companies for comparison of settings? I just got another set and I am curious as to who I should send them and my stock shock to. I was leaning towards Powerband but FC assured me that I would be extremely pleased with their work. Btw, this is on a 19 KTM 450 for mostly MX but some off-road racing at 175lbs.
|
bpaderta
2/27/2019 4:27am
Enzo did mine and they are perfect
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
2/27/2019 6:14am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2019 6:18am
As someone who has some experience with the cone valve fork and trax shock, it HIGHLY recommend Billy at PowerBand. I’ve bought 5 sets of KTM suspension from him. I have a set on my ‘18 SX 150, ‘18 EXC 500, ‘19 XCW 300 TPI and have had both my 450’s as well.
The first set I bought were from a friend of mine who had them set up from Factory Connection, after WP had tried 3 times to get them right. My same friend bought his next set from Billy at PowerBand and was extremely happy.

I know that there are plenty of competent tuners out there, including Enzo, along with the others, I just know that everyone I’ve sent to him is more than happy. I’ve yet to read if anyone not liking his settings. You can thank me later.

* Enzo has done all of my bikes since ‘06 and they do fantastic work, but I had discovered PowerBand before Enzo really had much experience with the WP stuff. I’m sure I’d be happy with them doing my stuff, but I’m sticking with what I know.
AJ565
2/27/2019 7:39am
I had Powerband set mine up for me. I haven't touched a thing and have been very happy with them. Exact same thing when I had them set up my Trax shock. I set sag and haven't had to adjust anything. Really impressed with their settings. I've looked at the settings other have on their stickers and they are always different so its not just what the book says settings from them.

The Shop

CM46
2/27/2019 9:48am
Craig decker from Enzo is the guy to talk too. Fair prices quick turnaround.
WDSRCR
2/27/2019 10:09am
Evan at Solid Performance and Corey at Protune are also very good! Don't get caught up in the name. There are a lot of folks out there that can make things work well.
aees
2/27/2019 12:28pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2019 12:30pm
Stock setting in Cone valve is very good. You should not have to do anything except oil volume and spring rate + pre load which you can play with yourself. Stock is 25nm with red cone.

On CV fork you specifically have the red and blue cone to select between for MX + cone spring rating (25-75nm). I

I have tested pretty much every CV-setting or combo there is, but finally went back to stock setup, but stiffer comp.

There is some setting for GP/AMA pro that is amazing, but just to stiff to run a full race. It beat the shit out of me as a pretty fast B rider, but amazing how the bike tracked, cornered and was stable. Had a former Elite rider run it that is still active and runs nationals (but not racing full time anymore), and he said it was best suspension he ever ridden, but there was no way he could manage it for 30min. This setting was based on blue cone and 50nm cone spring with 400 oil.

That setting also requires Trax shock since there is a need for different piston in the shock that is only available to trax. Otherwise the bike will not be balanced. I tried with stock revalved shock and bike was like a chopper.

We had one setting with blue cone and 25nm spring that worked good also with a bit lighter comp valving and OEM shock. But i went back to red cone and stiffer comp valving. Liked that feeling best, and with stock piston in the trax shock.

Only thing i can say is i think rebound is way to fast in front on cone valve. 16-18 clicks does not work very well since it works ultra high in the stroke. I went to 10-12 and it settled so much better even on deep sand tracks.
A_Wise1
2/28/2019 2:03pm
Thanks for all of the responses everyone. I would have ridden with the CVs stock but the bike has nearly 30 hours on it already and with all the rain we have been getting in CA makes for a perfect time to send the suspension out. Its looking like Billy will get them as he was very technical in discussing internal settings with me and comparing settings from an old set I had on a 16 KTM 450.

I also dropped your name Shaun as you highly recommended him.
2/28/2019 3:35pm
langhammx wrote:
As someone who has some experience with the cone valve fork and trax shock, it HIGHLY recommend Billy at PowerBand. I’ve bought 5 sets of KTM...
As someone who has some experience with the cone valve fork and trax shock, it HIGHLY recommend Billy at PowerBand. I’ve bought 5 sets of KTM suspension from him. I have a set on my ‘18 SX 150, ‘18 EXC 500, ‘19 XCW 300 TPI and have had both my 450’s as well.
The first set I bought were from a friend of mine who had them set up from Factory Connection, after WP had tried 3 times to get them right. My same friend bought his next set from Billy at PowerBand and was extremely happy.

I know that there are plenty of competent tuners out there, including Enzo, along with the others, I just know that everyone I’ve sent to him is more than happy. I’ve yet to read if anyone not liking his settings. You can thank me later.

* Enzo has done all of my bikes since ‘06 and they do fantastic work, but I had discovered PowerBand before Enzo really had much experience with the WP stuff. I’m sure I’d be happy with them doing my stuff, but I’m sticking with what I know.
I guess that was a good referral huh bud? How you been bud? Rob from nj! Hope all is well! And thanks again for the "roczen" helmet in the mail! Cheered me up after my neck surgery?

Post a reply to: Cone Valve Settings

The Latest