Concussions

wsc96
Fantasy
553rd
11/22/2016 1:22am
How many concussions have you had from moto accidents?

Did you forget what happened leading up to the accident, after the accident or just the period you were out?

How long did you wait to ride again?

Long lasting effects?

Person thoughts on riding again after you've had one?

Surprises me when I hear of long time riders/racers that haven't been knocked unconscious from accidents. I think Kris Kiefer said that his recent one was the first? Seems crazy to me…

|
11/22/2016 5:48am
wsc96 wrote:
How many concussions have you had from moto accidents? Did you forget what happened leading up to the accident, after the accident or just the period...

Did you forget what happened leading up to the accident, after the accident or just the period you were out?

Long lasting effects?

Surprises me when I hear of long time riders/racers that haven't been knocked unconscious from accidents. I think Kris Kiefer said that his recent one was the first? Seems crazy to me…

-I've had 2 from moto wrecks, and 1 from non-moto
-First one I don't remember the events that lead to the crash, but I was by myself. Everything after I woke up was pretty clear after a minute or two. It was pretty easy to tell that I had hit a tree with my face.
-The second time I had a bunch of friends around, and it was on film, so the memories came back after a while of hearing the story and watching the tape. Destroyed a TLD SE 2 on it's first ride, didn't get my hands out in front of me at all, and took full impact with my face, broke my nose too.
-The third time was the scariest to me because I hit my head in the garage, right near the temple. Didn't even get knocked out, but the concussion symptoms were the worst of the three...about 48hrs of dizziness, bad balance, bad m emory, throwing up, etc.

The first two times I was younger and dumber and rode later the same day. I wouldn't do that again. As far as long-lasting effects, I'd like to think that my brain is still in okay shape, I still hold a good job, ride moto, wipe my own ass, etc.

As far as thoughts on riding again? Well after my 3rd one, my attitude changed and I started taking the head hits (and injuries in general) more seriously. It was around that time when I decided I wanted to ride/race for fun and not to win anymore.
mingham97
11/22/2016 5:57am Edited Date/Time 11/22/2016 5:58am
Knocked myself out at a track as I high sided on the face of a jump (similar to reedy at millville, except i held onto the bike). Landed on my head and my bell cracked on in 4 places. I I woke up and I was drunk. I was asking if I won and if I beat Chad Reed (at a practise day in West Aus. Chad Reed was definitely not at the track this day). I was on the muel on the way out trying to get high fives and I do not remember a thing. The day is a blur and I don't remember getting on my bike that last time. I basically regained most consciousness on the way to the hospital. Was still drunk at the hospital pissing the nurses off. As bad as it was and as much as it slowed me down, it was probably my happiest day on a motorcycle!!
11/22/2016 6:16am
I've had close to ten now (first one at age 6) doing all sorts of things. Reactions all over the board from not knowing what happened, knowing what happened but couldn't get the words from my brain to my mouth, and of course killer pain and puking all over. I haven't had any major knock outs recently but the past 3 or so I could tell right away and knew I better get home ASAP while I could still function and before the pain and puking set in.

My buddy had one recently but was still feeling fine and hung out at the track for a while. It was early in the day and I was on a new bike so he helped me get my sag dialed, watched me on the track, made adjustments based on what he was seeing and my feedback and ultimately got the bike pretty dialed. The next weekend he came out to watch for a bit as he wasn't feeling up to riding. He asked if I was liking the bike and I gave him some feedback of what the suspension was doing since we were at a different track and he asked if I had set my sag. I laughed and said yeah, you helped me last week and he goes I don't remember any of that Laughing
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
11/22/2016 6:17am Edited Date/Time 11/22/2016 6:19am
wsc96 wrote:
How many concussions have you had from moto accidents? Did you forget what happened leading up to the accident, after the accident or just the period...

Long lasting effects?

wsc96,

Keep in mind, you don't have to be knocked unconscious to be concussed. So its not that surprising to hear of racers that haven't been "knocked out".

The Shop

NVA57
Fantasy
1742nd
11/22/2016 6:49am
I've had 3 or 4, with only one being unconscious. I didn't remember anything about that one, the only thing I remember (and remembered at the time) was waking up in the hospital. People told me I crashed right after a table top and the guy chasing me jumped on top of me.

Another one I actually do remember very well was my first time at a supercross track where I came just a little short on a triple jump and went over the bars. I was a little dizzy but went on to ride another 20 minutes but started seeing stars. Then I took a little break (like an hour) and felt a little better so I got my bike off the stand and wanted to get out to the track but somehow couldn't remember how to kickstart a bike lol. That's when I started to get a heavily migraine like feeling and went home. I had a bad headache for two weeks straight and my helmet was completely cracked up.
swtwtwtw
11/22/2016 7:21am
I have never seen Keefer crash, he is always smooth. I have had 7+ concussions . I wear 6d for the last year and the simplest of head hits in crashes no longer knock me out. The longest recovery from a concussion I have had was 2 years, and every adverse effect that has been documented I went through.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
11/22/2016 7:26am
swtwtwtw wrote:
I have never seen Keefer crash, he is always smooth. I have had 7+ concussions . I wear 6d for the last year and the simplest...
I have never seen Keefer crash, he is always smooth. I have had 7+ concussions . I wear 6d for the last year and the simplest of head hits in crashes no longer knock me out. The longest recovery from a concussion I have had was 2 years, and every adverse effect that has been documented I went through.
Certainly not telling you how to live your life, but CTE is a very real concern. No helmet made is good enough for you at tbis point.
TSCHAM101
11/22/2016 7:30am
I have been concussed numerous times, if i were to guess it would be around 8, i played football my whole life, and i also had a few really big crashes that gave me 2 severe concussions which led to a brain cyst which i still have. i even got a concussion from wakeboarding before trying to backflip.. been to the icu 2 times for 2 weeks each.. but im not sure if i remember my stories, or i have heard them so many times i can tell them clear as day.. at one point i had no memory, literally every 10mins i would wake up and see my best friend and asked when he had gotten there.. He was there the entire day.. parents were freaked, thought i lost all my memories and cognitive processes.
Mr. Info
11/22/2016 7:30am
kzizok is right, even just ringing your bell is a concussion. The next bell ringing could lead to something worse without rest for a couple weeks. Its no joke. But then again just like neck fractures every body reacts differently to every injury so if your not sure ask someone who is. I don't know but a few of you on here and I don't want to read about losing you to an injury that could have been prevented. Happy Thanksgiving.
TSCHAM101
11/22/2016 7:31am
swtwtwtw wrote:
I have never seen Keefer crash, he is always smooth. I have had 7+ concussions . I wear 6d for the last year and the simplest...
kzizok wrote:
Certainly not telling you how to live your life, but CTE is a very real concern. No helmet made is good enough for you at tbis...
Certainly not telling you how to live your life, but CTE is a very real concern. No helmet made is good enough for you at tbis point.
why do you gotta sentence this guy? Alot of people with that condition commit suicide. you cant just non chalantly throw that out there. . comon man!
RPM68
11/22/2016 8:10am Edited Date/Time 11/22/2016 9:09am
I've had about 15-16 over the 20 years I have been riding, my last one I was loopy for 2-3 months. Short term memory loss.

I would ask a customer his last name, walk to the back to grab his special order, and would either forget his name or completely forget what I was doing. I haven't had one since, but I don't ride at 150,000% anymore.
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
11/22/2016 8:22am
I have 4 that I remember (people told me) as far as long term damage goes.... uhhh... what were we talking about ?
pummel
Fantasy
528th
11/22/2016 9:02am
I've had at least 3, probably 5 or 6. Scary and completely honestly I don't remember. I've broken lots of bones but my concussions have by far effected me the most. Can't say exactly how different I am but my short term and long term memory are definitely not as good as they used to be.
Skidaddle
11/22/2016 9:12am
Zero. AND I have never hit my head that hard in a newer helmet(Prior to 2006) and hope I don't.

I am not sold these new helmets are worth a shit. I've seen guys explode old helmets, head was fine. Yah yah I know every crash is different bla bla bla, but WTF this is like an every day thing now.

EddieC
11/22/2016 2:01pm
A concussion is a blow to the head or movement of the head such that the brain slams up against the skull. Technically every time you guys face palm yourself its considered a concussion. What is more important is if you present with signs and symptoms. The signs and symptoms will help determine the severity of the concussion.

Please keep this in mind if you present with symptoms and you DO NOT allow those symptoms to resolve themselves the research has shown that there is a high probability that those symptoms will become PERMANENT.

Also once you have ONE concussion you have a higher probability of getting another with much less effort.
11/22/2016 2:06pm Edited Date/Time 11/22/2016 2:39pm
I had one really bad one where I was out cold (but still warm) and I was a total space case for two weeks before I came around. I don't remember any of it. Another time I hit pretty hard and saw stars for most of the rest of the day but didn't have any other symptoms. I rode my second moto that time. It really just felt like a bad hang over.
swtwtwtw
11/22/2016 2:10pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
kzizok wrote:
Certainly not telling you how to live your life, but CTE is a very real concern. No helmet made is good enough for you at tbis...
TSCHAM101 wrote:
why do you gotta sentence this guy? Alot of people with that condition commit suicide. you cant just non chalantly throw that out there. . comon...
why do you gotta sentence this guy? Alot of people with that condition commit suicide. you cant just non chalantly throw that out there. . comon man!
Kzizok, I hear ya. I am well-versed in concussion research. I am sure CTE will be found in my brain autopsy. Sadly, most athletes are not aware of the depression that occurs after quitting their sport, especially if it was forced by injury.
As far as No amount of helmet, I will stand behind my current one, despite offers to wear others. I did try another famous brand and it lasted one medium soil sample, similar to one's I have taken with 6d, and I was out for a minute plus. With the 6d, nothing, got up continued racing.
Finally, none of us are guaranteed a day in this life so I choose to live it to the fullest- -today. It helps to be aware of the consequences when doing so. So thanks for the contributions by all each and every time a "concussion" thread comes up
11/22/2016 2:31pm
1 decent concussion this summer, I remember everything. I was "off" for a solid 2-3 weeks. Tried riding the week after but only did about 8 min and pulled off. Its really hard to describe but I just knew that this crash was different.

Got smart and bought a 6D so that hopefully when I go down in the future the G's my brain gets are a little less. It can't hurt.
Nighttrain
11/22/2016 2:36pm
1 concussion from MX during the days of open face helmets. Another one from road cycling with loss of consciousness, brief loss of memory and disorientation. I tried to do a road race the next day but Warden said she would leave with the kids if I raced. Headaches and vertigo lasted for 4 days. I resumed cycling on the fifth day after the concussion.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
11/22/2016 2:45pm
I got knocked out just once, and I was awake and talking to people before I remember coming to. I can remember the last instants before the crash but not actually hitting the dirt. Thankfully, I didn't have any more motos that weekend or I might have ridden again.
Josh422
11/22/2016 2:53pm
They definitely happen easier the more you have. I'm interested in all the research that has been trending the last couple years. Hopefully my KO days are over as the last one took a number on me.
Mit12
11/22/2016 3:53pm
The bottom line is we are all different. I have had 13 concussions and everything was fine through the first 12. The last one changed my life. Short term memory problems ever since the last one.
hellion
11/22/2016 4:27pm
The other day my wife was hanging out in my garage with me, and she says "why do you have so many helmets?" Referring to all my personal custom painted lids hanging on the wall. I hadn't really thought about it, but they were all retired after concussions. I've had three bad ones, where I've been out of it and asking the same questions for from ten hours to two days. I've had a few other bad ones where my vision was 'ratchety' for a month or so. And I've had many small ones where I just felt fuzzy for a week or a month.

This definitely concerns me. I feel great at the moment and haven't had any head hits in a year or so. But the concussions do come easier now. I'd never give up this sport, it's what I love and its part of me. But I sure do wish I'd taken fewer hits over the years. I've always worn the best helmets, and I'm sure they've saved my life many times. But it would be nice if new technology came about for future generations so that they wouldn't carry the same burden. Unfortunately, bikes and tracks keep getting faster, so the target is moving and likely impossible to reach.
JD35
11/22/2016 5:21pm
It's always interesting when this topic comes up and people share their experiences. Unfortunately, I feel like there isn't enough of education in our sport about the effects if concussions. You can see parents pushing their kids to hop on back on the bike even if they have no idea where the track is.

As for my experience, I've had 21 concussions - 19 from moto and 2 from rugby. First at the age if 6 and last at 23. Wearing good helmets definitely helped (Arai, Shoei) but gosh I was completely knocked out cold three times. The most serious one left me in coma for 2 days and partially paralysed lower lip. I look like Sylvester Stallone now haha. I guess all the injuries have accumulated and I tend to have short memory and attention problems.

Long story short, I realised it's not worth risking to become a vegetable and walked away from the sport. However, there isn't a day when I don't think about riding. What we do is a beautiful sport, it gives you a lot but can take away a lot too, sadly. Watch this movie called Concussion - quite an eye opener to this problematic.
wsc96
Fantasy
553rd
11/22/2016 5:47pm
EddieC wrote:
A concussion is a blow to the head or movement of the head such that the brain slams up against the skull. Technically every time you...
A concussion is a blow to the head or movement of the head such that the brain slams up against the skull. Technically every time you guys face palm yourself its considered a concussion. What is more important is if you present with signs and symptoms. The signs and symptoms will help determine the severity of the concussion.

Please keep this in mind if you present with symptoms and you DO NOT allow those symptoms to resolve themselves the research has shown that there is a high probability that those symptoms will become PERMANENT.

Also once you have ONE concussion you have a higher probability of getting another with much less effort.
Where is the best place to get the latest info on how long one should wait before riding again? Is simply waiting until symptoms disappear good enough…

I realise that nobody could probably answer how long is long enough but are there any sites you'd recommend with information about the latest studies regarding brain injuries?
rrjr
11/24/2016 4:28pm
wsc96 wrote:
Where is the best place to get the latest info on how long one should wait before riding again? Is simply waiting until symptoms disappear good...
Where is the best place to get the latest info on how long one should wait before riding again? Is simply waiting until symptoms disappear good enough…

I realise that nobody could probably answer how long is long enough but are there any sites you'd recommend with information about the latest studies regarding brain injuries?
A good place to start is probably with your doctor.
wsc96
Fantasy
553rd
11/24/2016 4:34pm
Yeah, a good place to start for sure however I find they aren't typically able to keep up to date with the latest research and default to suggestions that are overly cautious. No slight on them, just don't feel they are in a position to give the best advice possible.
Skidaddle
11/24/2016 6:49pm
wsc96 wrote:
Where is the best place to get the latest info on how long one should wait before riding again? Is simply waiting until symptoms disappear good...

rrjr wrote:
A good place to start is probably with your doctor.
99% of doctors aren't qualified to prescribe an aspirin.

I've dealt with over 50. Not a single one knew more than me and I had to help them diagnose correctly.

Family doctors should, for rhe most part, all be fired.
What's worse is few have a general overall knowledge of health. And specialists, for the most part aren't much better.

The local urgent care is full of fat, obese, unhealthy, unfit nurses. And here, they barely speak English!
And they stink like ashtrays because after 20 years of smoking, guess what? Still fat, and stink. And we are supposed to trust these people with our health because they passed a test?

They probably learned at Phoenix university on a grant or defaulted their loans also.
Here is another. A family doctor or Nurse practitioner should be able to tell some kind of difference from a skin fungal infection, to ringworm, to any of the 3 types of skin cancer.

Nope. Clueless. Its all about money. The longer they can misdiagnose, the more they can bill you and insurance.

The only doctors Ive seen that had any brains were foreign, usually Indian or thereabouts, and women.
Some of the guys were OK, but I guarantee you, none could figure out a simple task like checking air in a tire.

aeffertz
11/24/2016 7:01pm
I've had 4.

My last one changed the way things taste and smell. A bit bummed on that. Memory ain't so good but it's alright.
Bigfoot
11/24/2016 7:41pm
I've had three. Though I really can't say that I've noticed any long-term effects.

Oh, and I've had three. Though I really can't say that I've noticed any long-term effects.

And did I mention? I've had three. Though I really can't say that I've noticed any long-term effects.

Yeah, three, I've had three. Though I really can't say that I've noticed any long-term effects.

Oh look, there's pie left!

Post a reply to: Concussions

The Latest