Concussion Recovery

Related:
Create New Tag

10/27/2020 6:28 AM

Hi, I was riding on saturday and crashed and ended up with a mild concussion. What is the average time table to be back to racing trying to get back for Mini O's

|

10/27/2020 6:42 AM

Oleary465 wrote:

Hi, I was riding on saturday and crashed and ended up with a mild concussion. What is the average time table to be back to ...more

Every person is different. I have had 4 and each one was a little different. Each time I had a real hard time with natural sunlight, even with sunglasses, and was very tired and lots of tension type headaches. I think probably the quickest turn around I had was about 2 weeks before I could just ride safely again and stay somewhat focused that was not racing or race pace.

|

10/27/2020 6:44 AM

Oleary465 wrote:

Hi, I was riding on saturday and crashed and ended up with a mild concussion. What is the average time table to be back to ...more

jamiechapman418 wrote:

Every person is different. I have had 4 and each one was a little different. Each time I had a real hard time with natural ...more

Thank you, i am not having any issues with sunlight or headaches. I am writing an essay for school now, lol with no issues.

|

10/27/2020 6:47 AM

Oleary465 wrote:

Thank you, i am not having any issues with sunlight or headaches. I am writing an essay for school now, lol with no issues.

Best practice is to consult with your doctor. Take it slow. You only get one brain.

|

10/27/2020 7:05 AM

ALWAYS consult a doctor

But my rule was 10-14 days AFTER you start to feel "normal" (no effects, sluggishness)

It can take a few days to few weeks to get rid of the effects of a whack to the melon, you just have to wait.

In the meantime, shop for a new helmet, your old one is trash now.

|

Make sure you downvote!

10/27/2020 8:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2020 8:13 AM

Every person and every crash is quite different. I am not an expert at all but I am also startiing to think that age matters too. I am 38 now, I didn't crash that hard about 3 years ago but it took me quite a few months to have no headache. Same for my neighbour. I think I was recovering much quicker when I was younger. That said, I took a big one at 9 and it took me 15 years to fully recover (with spasmophilia crisis a few times per year if low on magnesium), with no riding the first 6 months after a couple electrocardiograms. So every case is different, the best is too see a doctor when you can, but if you feel good and can focus it is already a good sign.

|

10/27/2020 8:18 AM

Every head injury is different. Was the worst thing I ever experienced. Over 3-months of feeling exhausted, unfocused, and migraines. I remember trying to ride a few weeks after and I was so spaced out.

Strongly recommend taking a few days to rest with nothing but sleep in the dark. No phone, tv, etc. Literally just let your brain rest with nothing to focus on.

|

10/27/2020 8:25 AM

I was knocked out for 5 minutes in 1999... i still have short term memory issues!

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

10/27/2020 8:33 AM

If you feel ok.....i would ride. Just take it easy at first and make sure that you are alert enough and that you don't feel any lingering issues. Start there and measure it out.

|

10/27/2020 8:37 AM

Oleary465 wrote:

Take your time. Concussions are no joke

|

10/27/2020 8:39 AM

I had a TBI from motocross about two years ago and I’m still not feeling that good,worst injury for me to recover. Rehab was the worst! Recovery can take awhile!

|

10/27/2020 8:40 AM

Had at least 3 concussions in my lifetime, last one was 10 years ago and took me 8 months before I got back to regular work. Had headaches, dizziness, short term memory loss. Now I think it’s just old age🙄

|

10/27/2020 8:42 AM

Oleary465 wrote:

I am 17 years old

|

10/27/2020 9:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2020 9:13 AM

Schedule an appointment with a sports doctor and let him know you ride motocross. Second impact syndrome can be fatal. Look it up, especially at your age.

I'm not trying to be a fear monger, but I would take the doctor's advice lean on the side of caution since you have your entire life ahead of you. There will be plenty more races in the future.

|

Warning: I support propane and propane accessories, fossil burning two-cycle engines, U.S. beef industry and watching the best athletes in the world go to battle... Yup...

10/27/2020 9:29 AM

Oleary465 wrote:

Defiantly not a doctor, but I’ve been seeing a neurologist specializing in concussions for two years now. From what I was told the actual injury itself lasts 7-10 days, during this period it’s important to rest and not over exert yourself. Following this period incorporating light cardio into your day is important to help fend off prolonged symptoms (post concussion syndrome). I’m 28 years old now and brushed off concussions since I was a kid, but the last one or two really got to me and for two years I haven’t had a full day that I’d consider my old normal. Put your body and health first kid, see a doctor if you think you should through the coming days. In my experiences, a few days post crash is when I’d feel the problems arise. Good luck and hope you’re back riding soon.

|

10/27/2020 9:31 AM

I had a good one when I was 18.
Still can’t remember a year of my life and have some residual effects. I’m 35 now.

Take your time and don’t rush anything. Not worth it.

Wait what were we talking about???

|

10/27/2020 9:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2020 9:59 AM

I got one a few years back. I was light sensitive for about two weeks. Recovered at about the five week mark.
As previously mentioned, take your time.

|

10/27/2020 10:01 AM

There are some studies that suggest medical cannabis can help with concussion symptoms like headache. They think it has to do with the anti-inflammation properties of cannabis. The conventional concussion wisdom is to rest for about two weeks. Cannabis will help you rest but you’ll be making more trips to the kitchen for munchies lol.

|

10/27/2020 11:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2020 11:06 AM

Repeat blows to the head within short periods of time cause the most damage long-term.

|

GP740
Since 1987

10/27/2020 3:22 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

Repeat blows to the head within short periods of time cause the most damage long-term.

This.

http://pulpmx.com/podcast/guest-scott-sheak/

Listen to the interview. Scott Sheak talks about the effects of multiple concussions on his career and how it negatively impacted his life after racing.

Successive concussions in a short period will change your life for the worse.Don't come back too soon.

|

10/27/2020 3:29 PM

An absolute MINIMUM of 7 days. When I played football we were required to sit out at least 7 days, match or exceed our baseline impact testing, complete a physical test without any symptoms and consult a neurologist before we were able play again. Don’t fuck around with brain injuries I still have issues from mine.

|

10/27/2020 3:38 PM

I speak from personal experience here. Back before people were really talking about concussions much (1990s), I got two in the same month. Ever since then, it takes almost nothing to get another one. If I knew then what I know now, I would have taken a couple months off. Every time you suffer a concussion, the next one is easier to get and more severe. Unless you are a professional racer and need to race to make your mortgage payment, take your time.

|

10/27/2020 4:18 PM

I feel like the OP is a kid. How old? Let your parents know about what's going on if you haven't.

|

GP740
Since 1987

10/27/2020 4:34 PM

After my 7th bad one, I had my 8th concussion less than 2 months later. The 7th came while riding and the 8th was while running a piece of heavy equipment. I got pitched forward hard enough to be get knocked out and have compression fractures of 2 vertabrae in my lower back.

That was 2 years ago, and I haven’t raced since. Balance, motor functions, headaches, short and long term memory are still not back anywhere near the day I I got the last one.

Go get looked at by your doctor. Take care of your head, I’m 34 and concussions have ruined a lot of aspects of my life for me.

|

10/27/2020 5:27 PM

Find and listen to some of the Dale Earnhart Jr. interviews and podcasts where he discusses his concussions and TBI issues, resulting in his retirement

|

Make sure you downvote!

10/27/2020 5:33 PM

Recovery time will depend on a few factors. How many concussions you've had, the severity of those concussions and time between concussions.

I've had a lot of concussions ranging from just going black for a second to being on the ground out cold for a few minutes. My last big one I had severe short term memory loss and also balance issues, if I was standing on sloping ground I would start to tip over. I took 3 months off riding after that one and the first ride back was very cautious.

You'll know when you feel right but as everyone has said, don't rush it. If you don't feel right don't ride and when you do feel right take it easy for a bit just to get the feel of things again

|

10/27/2020 5:35 PM

I had a crash on August 21st. Ended up not good, broke 6 vertebrae, broke jaw, cut my lower lip deep. Also had some head trauma . Does not sound like I was out at the time but things went bad with myself arguing with medical people at the track and the hospitals I was in that night. I ended up not behaving well the first night in hospital and I have no memories of the first few days in the hospital. By the fourth day I started to come around. I did loose some memories of other prior things. I still struggle with some names but things are improving. My brain doctor told me I need 30 days from the date of my head feeling good before I return to things I could hit my head doing. If things improve for my other injuries she did not say I can’t ride again! Who knows what will happen.

|

10/27/2020 6:51 PM

I had a doozy in March of 19’. It was a solid 7 days before i could even watch tv and could only stand it for a short time. At 3 weeks i was still getting dizzy driving to work. After several trips to the Nero doc He sent me to a sports therapist. After two months of going to once a week, i finally felt normal. That was around 4th of July 2019. So, it took me 4 months to feel normal. I was 34 at the time.

If your inner ear gets out of whack, it can drag you down big time.

|

10/27/2020 8:19 PM

Last 3 I had have been over a year to recover... it sucks.

|

10/28/2020 2:12 AM

EngIceDave wrote:

ALWAYS consult a doctor

But my rule was 10-14 days AFTER you start to feel "normal" (no effects, sluggishness)

It can take a ...more

This .. what feels normal for everyday life is not normal for racing.. i have raced when concussed, back in the day, and more recently i have taken a month away.. mine were both mild, as in , i wasnt out out , but it took a few rides to feel like i wasnt watching myself on a video game.

|