Concrete starts

Related:
Create New Tag

6/10/2008 8:29 AM

How many of you like those stupid things?

|

6/10/2008 8:39 AM

They are hard on your tires.

|

6/10/2008 8:39 AM

Concrete is how I was able to retire and buy a track . I will never inststall a concrete start here .

|

well we ain't the smartest folks in the world...i mean we're fucking dirtbike riders for christ sakes.- BobbyM

If you chose not to decide you still have made a chioce.

6/10/2008 8:43 AM

You guys should try colored tires. They really hook up on concrete starts.

|

6/10/2008 8:53 AM

Do they make colored smoke when you do a burnout?

|

6/10/2008 8:56 AM

SteveS wrote:

Yes, it's sikk. I've actually seen helicopters try to land where I did a burnout.

|

6/10/2008 9:28 AM

I don't mind them, I just hate switching from concrete to dirt from week to week.

|

Douglas Furs tend to be really reserved

6/10/2008 10:39 AM

HATE THEM. concrete is for streetbikes or supermoto, NOT dirtbikes race motocross.

|

two wheels lifestyle
Kyle Pulley
selling powersports @TeamCharlotteMotorsports
3004 Freedom Dr. Charlotte NC 28208
Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, & Preowned Harley Davidson

6/11/2008 11:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/11/2008 11:17 AM

Robert wrote:

You guys should try colored tires. They really hook up on concrete starts.

We prefer, black, or African American tires, thank you very much.

But on a serious note, I think most tracks are getting rid of them.

|

Without the following support, my race program would not be worthy:

SERVICE HONDA ~ MTA ~ IMS ~ GPR ~ SPIDER GRIPS ~ GLEN HELEN RACEWAY ~ NO TOIL ~ FLUIDYNE ~ MAXXIS ~ FREEK RACING ~ SCVET ~ SRA ~ ENGINE ICE ~ ACERBIS

6/11/2008 11:17 AM

Robert wrote:

Yes, it's sikk. I've actually seen helicopters try to land where I did a burnout.

laughing
|

6/11/2008 11:20 AM

Concrete starts are thedumbest thing to ever happen to MX. And don't give me that crap about they make maintenance easier. It takes 10 seconds to swipe the dirt behind the gate with a dozer. But if there must be a concrete start, at least make it textured concrete. They're not so bad then. The glass smooth ones suck though.

|

Powerband in every gear !

6/11/2008 11:59 AM

Echeconnee has the gest one I've seen....they raked the concrete...no wheelspin and worn tires. I liked that one the best.

Mosier and Glen Helen's suck because they are so worn down...like glass. You have to lay down rubber to get a jump. I found ONE spot at GH that had any texture....and found it on my last moto of the weekend!

|

Sometimes, Gravity just sucks.

6/11/2008 12:08 PM

SteveS wrote:

Robert wrote:

LMAO

|

6/11/2008 12:21 PM

Not only are concrete starts bad for MX, but I've raced at a track or two where we actually had to cross a paved road. Talk about hardpack.

|

6/11/2008 12:25 PM

NetMXer wrote:

Not only are concrete starts bad for MX, but I've raced at a track or two where we actually had to cross a paved road. Talk about hardpack.

We do that all the time, we call it GPs...our loops run approx., 5-6 miles long. We have to cross something, sometime. Good thing tires are free, huh ?

|

Without the following support, my race program would not be worthy:

SERVICE HONDA ~ MTA ~ IMS ~ GPR ~ SPIDER GRIPS ~ GLEN HELEN RACEWAY ~ NO TOIL ~ FLUIDYNE ~ MAXXIS ~ FREEK RACING ~ SCVET ~ SRA ~ ENGINE ICE ~ ACERBIS

6/11/2008 1:00 PM

I dig em!

|

6/11/2008 1:41 PM

teggers wrote:

Echeconnee has the gest one I've seen....they raked the concrete...no wheelspin and worn tires. I liked that one the best.

Mosier and Glen Helen's suck because they are so worn down...like glass. You have to lay down rubber to get a jump. I found ONE spot at GH that had any texture....and found it on my last moto of the weekend!

After the pro nati I saw that they ripped out the concrete and were putting in new. I'm not sure if they do that for after every pro nat race but just a heads up.

|

6/11/2008 4:10 PM

Gate maintenance has nothing to do with behind the gate, but everything to do with the actual mechanism. If you don't keep cleaning out all the dirt you will have issues and let me tell you, cleaning a 42 rider gate is no picnic. I used to spend hours keeping ours clean so it wouldn't stick on race day. A concrete start would have been a blessing.

As a racer, personally I don't mind them.

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Chuck Norris is 1/8th Scottish. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Scotsman!

6/11/2008 5:13 PM

eerghhhh....hate em....

|

a faster bike just means you'll be shutting off sooner

6/11/2008 5:16 PM

I like rubberband starts too !

|

well we ain't the smartest folks in the world...i mean we're fucking dirtbike riders for christ sakes.- BobbyM

If you chose not to decide you still have made a chioce.

6/11/2008 6:03 PM

The only concrete start that is worth a darn is at Lake Whitney. I think they used a metal rake to texture it..... you treat it like a dirt start and can't spin on it. A brand new tire works best and after a mfew motos there the tire looks good. Glen Helen, Starwest, Perris etc. all have very smooth concrete. GH jsut poured a brand new pad right after the national and it's way too smooth. These smooth pads require a worn tire to get any grip. I think it's a plot by the tire manufactures! Dirt starts are the way it should be!

|

6/11/2008 6:11 PM

Mow the track flat!

|

6/11/2008 6:16 PM

I know that tracks put concrete in for the ease of maintenance, but it's rediculous to set up your bike completely for dirt and then start on something else. You don't start a boat race from dry land.
The only concrete start I've seen that was worth a damn, is Main St. in Davis, WV at the Blackwater 100. It was more than a launch though, 1/8th mile long.

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]
You lose 100% of the chances that you never take!

6/11/2008 7:22 PM

I actually don't mind them, I have tended to typically get really good starts on them. Its just a different technique really. The more worn and grooved the concrete, the better.

|

6/11/2008 8:37 PM

yea, they do mess up your tires in a hurry, but that way some dudes wont burn the tire off, so I will let the tire smoke a bit, and have never had a bad start on them, not that my dirt starts are bad(as long as it's not mud), I like the pave once in a while.

|

Yeah buddy! Light weight baby! Ain't nothin but a peanut! Everybody wanna be a motocrosser, don't nobody wanna do these gnarly ass triples.

6/11/2008 8:40 PM

DL wrote:

The only concrete start that is worth a darn is at Lake Whitney. I think they used a metal rake to texture it..... you treat it like a dirt start and can't spin on it. A brand new tire works best and after a mfew motos there the tire looks good. Glen Helen, Starwest, Perris etc. all have very smooth concrete. GH jsut poured a brand new pad right after the national and it's way too smooth. These smooth pads require a worn tire to get any grip. I think it's a plot by the tire manufactures! Dirt starts are the way it should be!

I love "Tire Conspiracies ".

|

Yeah buddy! Light weight baby! Ain't nothin but a peanut! Everybody wanna be a motocrosser, don't nobody wanna do these gnarly ass triples.