Concept: Vital Forums Facelift

TannerMxer
Edited Date/Time 9/27/2017 8:59pm
Hey everyone. I am a digital designer (designed the latest pulpmx app) and I made this concept a few months ago after growing tired of the old vital forums. While they work, they are ugly af.

Click to view larger:

I just wanted to update the visual hierarchy to make it easier to follow quoting and original posts. I also wanted to add in the like/dislike functionality, which I think can reduce the amount of posts made in a thread but still ensure engagement.

I did not add, but think being able to @ someone would be awesome too.
|
BobPA
9/26/2017 9:52am
I wish they would go to a vBulletin style board. That way you could actually receive PM's and have a few other nice features....
moto282
9/26/2017 9:57am
BobPA wrote:
I wish they would go to a vBulletin style board. That way you could actually receive PM's and have a few other nice features....
Agree. And there are templates/themes to look like the design above too.
HenryA
9/26/2017 10:03am
Looks great but I've seen so many message boards that has died out after a design/layout change.
Is it worth the risk?Unsure
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
9/26/2017 10:05am
I like that you added the likes and dislikes option.

The Shop

TannerMxer
9/26/2017 10:09am
HenryA wrote:
Looks great but I've seen so many message boards that has died out after a design/layout change.
Exactly. That's why I didn't stray too far, but added some visual hierarchy and new functionality that doesn't take away the stuff that already exists.

To be honest, I know this board and its users would jump ship if a brand new, completely different design went into place. I mostly just restructured the information.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
9/26/2017 10:26am
TannerMxer wrote:
Exactly. That's why I didn't stray too far, but added some visual hierarchy and new functionality that doesn't take away the stuff that already exists. To...
Exactly. That's why I didn't stray too far, but added some visual hierarchy and new functionality that doesn't take away the stuff that already exists.

To be honest, I know this board and its users would jump ship if a brand new, completely different design went into place. I mostly just restructured the information.
Thanks for the visual.

We always have a huge list of development items going on at any one time. The current one is a conversion from http to https (something that others have noted is on their wish list.

We have toyed with the idea of a thumbs up/down for individual posts. The most recent change is the addition of a delete button so that users can delete their own posts.

I'm not sure where a visual redesign would fall among the current list of changes. Smile
JeepnMike
9/26/2017 10:48am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
X100. There is a lot of threads that would be very well served by a like and dislike feature, possibly emoticons as part of that. The post count would probably be reduced by this feature, but it sure would be nice.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
9/26/2017 10:49am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
JeepnMike wrote:
X100. There is a lot of threads that would be very well served by a like and dislike feature, possibly emoticons as part of that. The...
X100. There is a lot of threads that would be very well served by a like and dislike feature, possibly emoticons as part of that. The post count would probably be reduced by this feature, but it sure would be nice.
We had something like that in the very early days here, but it seemed like it was getting abused more than being useful.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
9/26/2017 11:11am
Every looked at the xenForo based forums? We switched from VB and have enjoyed the upgrade.

steed 2.0
9/26/2017 11:13am
HenryA wrote:
True ... something to take into account, I like to see more in depth changes, photo edit, repost for Instagram,
a refresh button instead of F5 especially for mobile version... Live Chat for bench racing more like youtube etc.
winner delete button... how about alcohol lock Laughing
kkawboy14
9/26/2017 11:17am
This place seems just fine to me...... add a sarcasm button so people can know when your joking around.
U.S. humor doesn't seem to translate very well to the Euros.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
9/26/2017 11:33am
HenryA wrote:
steed 2.0 wrote:
True ... something to take into account, I like to see more in depth changes, photo edit, repost for Instagram, a refresh button instead of F5...
True ... something to take into account, I like to see more in depth changes, photo edit, repost for Instagram,
a refresh button instead of F5 especially for mobile version... Live Chat for bench racing more like youtube etc.
I support breathalyzers attached to keyboards. Laughing
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
9/26/2017 11:42am
Just wondering is it possible to have a page refresh all on its own when someone submits a post?

This would be great especially for race day threads. Clicking the refresh page non stop becomes a bit annoying after a while.

That's why I suggested a chat feature a while back but ML512 said that's never going to happen. Requires too much police work or something along the lines of that.
TXDirt
9/26/2017 11:49am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Just wondering is it possible to have a page refresh all on its own when someone submits a post? This would be great especially for race...
Just wondering is it possible to have a page refresh all on its own when someone submits a post?

This would be great especially for race day threads. Clicking the refresh page non stop becomes a bit annoying after a while.

That's why I suggested a chat feature a while back but ML512 said that's never going to happen. Requires too much police work or something along the lines of that.
Yes could do something like this with what's called AJAX. A feature like that would be great for race day threads.
SKlein
9/26/2017 11:50am
The like/dislike feature seems unnecessary for this setting. You said it yourself, "it could limit forum posts". Why would they want to reduce the conversation factor of a site that's built around that theme? Also it's pretty obvious that around here that system could get abused fairly quick.

On a separate note, the @ing idea could be cool, but I think having a built in notification system rather than just receiving emails would be beneficial for something like that. The site layout is pretty good as is, it's just missing some features that could add to the experience. Steed's "Live Chat" idea for example would be a snappier alternative to the current night show threads (not that they are bad).
aeffertz
9/26/2017 12:02pm
I'm not against change, but I don't think that looks very good. Too inconsistent.

I would love a reputation feature like vbulletin has!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
9/26/2017 12:07pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Just wondering is it possible to have a page refresh all on its own when someone submits a post? This would be great especially for race...

TXDirt wrote:
Yes could do something like this with what's called AJAX. A feature like that would be great for race day threads.
Well since a chat feature is a no go this would be the next best option. Good to know that it's something that can be done.

Someone make it happen.

Much ty.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
9/26/2017 1:02pm
All I would like is to be able to mouse over the forum topic to see what has been typed by the OP instead of having to actually open the thread to see it.

And a better search function.
9/26/2017 3:23pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
This place seems just fine to me...... add a sarcasm button so people can know when your joking around. U.S. humor doesn't seem to translate very...
This place seems just fine to me...... add a sarcasm button so people can know when your joking around.
U.S. humor doesn't seem to translate very well to the Euros.
Funny, I always felt the same, but the other way round.
Wouldn't that be what we call cultural differences?
Wink
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
9/26/2017 3:32pm
How about something that automatically creates a new thread every time someone posts something unrelated to the original topic. As an extra kicker, certain topics (JS7 comeback for example), would just automatically get posted as an additional comment on one of any existing threads.

Oh, and an easy change would be another folder for "greatest hits" threads like the Photoshop ones for example.
Jrewing
9/26/2017 3:36pm
HenryA wrote:
steed 2.0 wrote:
True ... something to take into account, I like to see more in depth changes, photo edit, repost for Instagram, a refresh button instead of F5...
ML512 wrote:
I support breathalyzers attached to keyboards. Laughing
Haha do that and the tumbleweeds will start rolling through
motogrady
9/26/2017 3:48pm
TannerMxer wrote:
Hey everyone. I am a digital designer (designed the latest pulpmx app) and I made this concept a few months ago after growing tired of the...
Hey everyone. I am a digital designer (designed the latest pulpmx app) and I made this concept a few months ago after growing tired of the old vital forums. While they work, they are ugly af.

Click to view larger:

I just wanted to update the visual hierarchy to make it easier to follow quoting and original posts. I also wanted to add in the like/dislike functionality, which I think can reduce the amount of posts made in a thread but still ensure engagement.

I did not add, but think being able to @ someone would be awesome too.

I don't think it's that important.
In ones opinion, it's that a guy hits every National, every big event, and gives up the info like, right then.
U wanna know what's up in moto land, u wanna be current, this is the place.

Colors could be pink and purple and this place would still make it.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
9/26/2017 4:57pm
Not sure what thumpertalk uses, but it works good. Not a huge fan of the site, it just works at work, so I cruise around on break. Vital is flagged by the firewall software, imagine that...
rjg
9/26/2017 5:01pm
I wish you could jump to the last page of a thread from the forum instaed of going into threads and jumping to last page. Ex thumpertalk, KTMTalk
ML512
Fantasy
54th
9/26/2017 5:40pm
rjg wrote:
I wish you could jump to the last page of a thread from the forum instaed of going into threads and jumping to last page. Ex...
I wish you could jump to the last page of a thread from the forum instaed of going into threads and jumping to last page. Ex thumpertalk, KTMTalk
You can on the Desktop version, but we don't have that for mobile.
Tim507
9/26/2017 7:24pm
I believe that Vital works just fine, however technology is awesome....so lets make this a works site and bring in the development of a WORKS VITAL
Woohoo
TannerMxer
9/27/2017 2:27pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
JeepnMike wrote:
X100. There is a lot of threads that would be very well served by a like and dislike feature, possibly emoticons as part of that. The...
GuyB wrote:
We had something like that in the very early days here, but it seemed like it was getting abused more than being useful.
How can a like button be abused?
TeamGreen
9/27/2017 2:45pm
A "proof that you ride" function would be nice
9/27/2017 2:55pm Edited Date/Time 9/27/2017 2:56pm
TeamGreen wrote:
A "proof that you ride" function would be nice
I ride, not as often as I'd like but why would that even be a requirement?

Post a reply to: Concept: Vital Forums Facelift

The Latest