Concept: Vital Forums Facelift

Related:
Create New Tag

9/26/2017 9:48 AM

Hey everyone. I am a digital designer (designed the latest pulpmx app) and I made this concept a few months ago after growing tired of the old vital forums. While they work, they are ugly af.

Click to view larger:
Photo

I just wanted to update the visual hierarchy to make it easier to follow quoting and original posts. I also wanted to add in the like/dislike functionality, which I think can reduce the amount of posts made in a thread but still ensure engagement.

I did not add, but think being able to @ someone would be awesome too.

|

Designer of the PulpMx App and PulpMx Fantasy. Visuals were me; code was MarxDawg.

Mercedes Terrell was the GOAT of all Monster girls, don't @ me.

9/26/2017 9:52 AM

I wish they would go to a vBulletin style board. That way you could actually receive PM's and have a few other nice features....

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

9/26/2017 9:57 AM

BobPA wrote:

I wish they would go to a vBulletin style board. That way you could actually receive PM's and have a few other nice features....

Agree. And there are templates/themes to look like the design above too.

|

9/26/2017 10:03 AM

Looks great but I've seen so many message boards that has died out after a design/layout change.
Is it worth the risk?unsure

|

KX125

9/26/2017 10:05 AM

I like that you added the likes and dislikes option.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

9/26/2017 10:09 AM

HenryA wrote:

Looks great but I've seen so many message boards that has died out after a design/layout change.

Exactly. That's why I didn't stray too far, but added some visual hierarchy and new functionality that doesn't take away the stuff that already exists.

To be honest, I know this board and its users would jump ship if a brand new, completely different design went into place. I mostly just restructured the information.

|

Designer of the PulpMx App and PulpMx Fantasy. Visuals were me; code was MarxDawg.

9/26/2017 10:26 AM

TannerMxer wrote:

Exactly. That's why I didn't stray too far, but added some visual hierarchy and new functionality that doesn't take away the stuff that already exists.

To be honest, I know this board and its users would jump ship if a brand new, completely different design went into place. I mostly just restructured the information.

Thanks for the visual.

We always have a huge list of development items going on at any one time. The current one is a conversion from http to https (something that others have noted is on their wish list.

We have toyed with the idea of a thumbs up/down for individual posts. The most recent change is the addition of a delete button so that users can delete their own posts.

I'm not sure where a visual redesign would fall among the current list of changes. smile

|

9/26/2017 10:48 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

X100. There is a lot of threads that would be very well served by a like and dislike feature, possibly emoticons as part of that. The post count would probably be reduced by this feature, but it sure would be nice.

|

9/26/2017 10:49 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

JeepnMike wrote:

X100. There is a lot of threads that would be very well served by a like and dislike feature, possibly emoticons as part of that. The post count would probably be reduced by this feature, but it sure would be nice.

We had something like that in the very early days here, but it seemed like it was getting abused more than being useful.

|

9/26/2017 11:11 AM

Every looked at the xenForo based forums? We switched from VB and have enjoyed the upgrade.

|

2020 YZ450F
2018 KTM 450SXF FE
2016 YZ250F 2008 CRF450R
2015 YZ250F 2008 CRF250R
2001 CR250R
2010 YZ250 2012 CRF150R
2009 YZ125 2010 KX109.5
SSR Motorsports Dealer
TAGMX Suspension & Graphics! www.tagmxsuspension.com https://www.liquidskinzdesign.com/

9/26/2017 11:13 AM

HenryA wrote:

True ... something to take into account, I like to see more in depth changes, photo edit, repost for Instagram,
a refresh button instead of F5 especially for mobile version... Live Chat for bench racing more like youtube etc.
winner delete button... how about alcohol lock laughing

|

9/26/2017 11:17 AM

This place seems just fine to me...... add a sarcasm button so people can know when your joking around.
U.S. humor doesn't seem to translate very well to the Euros.

|

9/26/2017 11:33 AM

HenryA wrote:

steed 2.0 wrote:

True ... something to take into account, I like to see more in depth changes, photo edit, repost for Instagram,
a refresh button instead of F5 especially for mobile version... Live Chat for bench racing more like youtube etc.

I support breathalyzers attached to keyboards. laughing

|

9/26/2017 11:42 AM

Just wondering is it possible to have a page refresh all on its own when someone submits a post?

This would be great especially for race day threads. Clicking the refresh page non stop becomes a bit annoying after a while.

That's why I suggested a chat feature a while back but ML512 said that's never going to happen. Requires too much police work or something along the lines of that.

|

9/26/2017 11:49 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Just wondering is it possible to have a page refresh all on its own when someone submits a post?

This would be great especially for race day threads. Clicking the refresh page non stop becomes a bit annoying after a while.

That's why I suggested a chat feature a while back but ML512 said that's never going to happen. Requires too much police work or something along the lines of that.

Yes could do something like this with what's called AJAX. A feature like that would be great for race day threads.

|

9/26/2017 11:50 AM

The like/dislike feature seems unnecessary for this setting. You said it yourself, "it could limit forum posts". Why would they want to reduce the conversation factor of a site that's built around that theme? Also it's pretty obvious that around here that system could get abused fairly quick.

On a separate note, the @ing idea could be cool, but I think having a built in notification system rather than just receiving emails would be beneficial for something like that. The site layout is pretty good as is, it's just missing some features that could add to the experience. Steed's "Live Chat" idea for example would be a snappier alternative to the current night show threads (not that they are bad).

|

Might order a pizza, take a nap, doesn't really matter.

9/26/2017 12:02 PM

I'm not against change, but I don't think that looks very good. Too inconsistent.

I would love a reputation feature like vbulletin has!

|

9/26/2017 12:07 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

TXDirt wrote:

Yes could do something like this with what's called AJAX. A feature like that would be great for race day threads.

Well since a chat feature is a no go this would be the next best option. Good to know that it's something that can be done.

Someone make it happen.

Much ty.

|

9/26/2017 1:02 PM

All I would like is to be able to mouse over the forum topic to see what has been typed by the OP instead of having to actually open the thread to see it.

And a better search function.

|

"Who cares about what other people think"

9/26/2017 3:23 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

This place seems just fine to me...... add a sarcasm button so people can know when your joking around.
U.S. humor doesn't seem to translate very well to the Euros.

Funny, I always felt the same, but the other way round.
Wouldn't that be what we call cultural differences?
wink

|

9/26/2017 3:32 PM

How about something that automatically creates a new thread every time someone posts something unrelated to the original topic. As an extra kicker, certain topics (JS7 comeback for example), would just automatically get posted as an additional comment on one of any existing threads.

Oh, and an easy change would be another folder for "greatest hits" threads like the Photoshop ones for example.

|

9/26/2017 3:36 PM

HenryA wrote:

steed 2.0 wrote:

ML512 wrote:

I support breathalyzers attached to keyboards. laughing

Haha do that and the tumbleweeds will start rolling through

|

9/26/2017 3:48 PM

TannerMxer wrote:

Hey everyone. I am a digital designer (designed the latest pulpmx app) and I made this concept a few months ago after growing tired of the old vital forums. While they work, they are ugly af.

Click to view larger:
Photo

I just wanted to update the visual hierarchy to make it easier to follow quoting and original posts. I also wanted to add in the like/dislike functionality, which I think can reduce the amount of posts made in a thread but still ensure engagement.

I did not add, but think being able to @ someone would be awesome too.

I don't think it's that important.
In ones opinion, it's that a guy hits every National, every big event, and gives up the info like, right then.
U wanna know what's up in moto land, u wanna be current, this is the place.

Colors could be pink and purple and this place would still make it.
|

9/26/2017 4:57 PM

Not sure what thumpertalk uses, but it works good. Not a huge fan of the site, it just works at work, so I cruise around on break. Vital is flagged by the firewall software, imagine that...

|

9/26/2017 5:01 PM

I wish you could jump to the last page of a thread from the forum instaed of going into threads and jumping to last page. Ex thumpertalk, KTMTalk

|

9/26/2017 5:40 PM

rjg wrote:

I wish you could jump to the last page of a thread from the forum instaed of going into threads and jumping to last page. Ex thumpertalk, KTMTalk

You can on the Desktop version, but we don't have that for mobile.

|

9/26/2017 6:06 PM

looks like Facebook

|

9/26/2017 7:24 PM

I believe that Vital works just fine, however technology is awesome....so lets make this a works site and bring in the development of a WORKS VITAL
w00t

|

Germany 1975 250 CZ Centerport, laydown shocks, mikuni with reed valve, Marzocchi forks with me as the motopilot

9/27/2017 2:27 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

JeepnMike wrote:

GuyB wrote:

We had something like that in the very early days here, but it seemed like it was getting abused more than being useful.

How can a like button be abused?

|

9/27/2017 2:45 PM

A "proof that you ride" function would be nice

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.