Coms in helmets for Red Cross flags

crockett
Knowingly or not, there has to be a better system than a flagged running out to instruct riders not to jump, it allows for too much interpretation.one way Radios in helmets that AMA has access too?
there has to be a better solution somewhere
|
3/24/2019 4:22am
The last thing you want is someone talking to you while you are trying to concentrate through a rhythm section and startle you!
Crush
3/24/2019 4:45am
The last thing you want is someone talking to you while you are trying to concentrate through a rhythm section and startle you!
I don’t think you’d be able to hear it or if you could it’s be so fucking loud and startling that it’d possibly be worse than an oncoming accident.

Let’s be real too, in a rhythm section, how much time is there to react?

The Shop

kb228
3/25/2019 8:12am
Crush wrote:
I don’t think you’d be able to hear it or if you could it’s be so fucking loud and startling that it’d possibly be worse than...
I don’t think you’d be able to hear it or if you could it’s be so fucking loud and startling that it’d possibly be worse than an oncoming accident.

Let’s be real too, in a rhythm section, how much time is there to react?
Helmet speakers can get loud
RTDRacing
3/25/2019 8:15am
If a rider says he didn't see a guy standing in the middle of the track waving a massive white flag with a red cross on it, I'm pretty sure all they have to say is "my helmet comm must not have been working. I didn't hear a thing".
mwssquad827
3/25/2019 8:33am
The whole field rolled the jumps except for 3-4 dudes... I don’t see it as a problem... except for maybe a hefty and consistent penalty...
Freddie
3/25/2019 8:58am
Not a bad idea.... If I am not mistaken they are allowed to test things like this at the MECup, If so why wouldn't the AMA try it if the riders are up to it? I have to imagine the biggest reason for not doing it would be the distraction of someone talking in your ear and trying to determine where that is on the track that they are warning them about.
biscuit11
3/25/2019 9:04am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2019 9:05am
Has anyone here heard of Raceceiver before? They are mandatory in some motorsports. Not sure if it would help in this instance or not.
Johnny Depp
3/25/2019 9:14am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2019 9:16am
They saw the flag, communication isn't the issue here. If they are going to have radios, let the mechanics and riders communicate.

It's a rule interpretation and enforcement issue at play here. It seems perfectly legal to jump until you get to the red cross flag. The big question is when are you clear of the incident, and where is the tape of every part of every race? It would be prudent to roll video anytime a red cross flag is shown until it is over. A simple cell phone would do.
3/25/2019 9:16am
Continue racing once you’re clear. That the dumbest interpretation ever. Who the _______ wouldn’t continue racing ? Who would write a rule that would cause the entire section to be affected and not before where the rider is down?
3/25/2019 9:21am
Mike Kidd started the use of the red cross flag for Arenacross. It was only used for the one blind jump on the track, the catapult. The big difference was the display of that flag. Stationary display only. Waving it can cause confusion. As the referee at one event, I had to disqualify the top three riders as they all clearly jumped on the red cross flag. Not points lost----disqualification. I don't think the red cross flag should be used for any part of the track except the finish line or maybe a triple or quad. Ten yellow flags should give the riders directions. If not, red flag the race.

Post a reply to: Coms in helmets for Red Cross flags

The Latest