Coming out of retirement and need your opinions

Edited Date/Time 4/22/2018 4:50pm
I recently went riding with my son and my buddy at Carnegie Cycle Park. What I was afraid of happened, I rode my buddies 2017 CRF 450 and my son's 2009 Crf 250, and within 2 laps on the mx track I was in love with the sport again. So my question is as much as Id love to buy a 2018 crf 450 I'm not quite ready to spend that bread, as this could just be an urge. But I found a 2013 Rmz450 with only 54 hours on it for $3100, I was just wondering if anyone had experience with those bikes and what they thought. Also on the price. But I actually enjoyed my sons bike more, as it wasnt as scary powerwise and reminded me of my old cr250 2smoke. I used to ride at an intermediate to pro level and think I might regret getting the 250 after I get comfortable on it. What do you guys think?
|
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
4/20/2018 8:05pm
Great bike and a good price IMO. Depending on your weight, a 250 can be easier and funner to ride. My self, I like 450s but am usually a little quicker on the 250f unless the track is super deep or has some big jumps out of corners.
mxb2
4/20/2018 8:45pm
I recently went riding with my son and my buddy at Carnegie Cycle Park. What I was afraid of happened, I rode my buddies 2017 CRF...
I recently went riding with my son and my buddy at Carnegie Cycle Park. What I was afraid of happened, I rode my buddies 2017 CRF 450 and my son's 2009 Crf 250, and within 2 laps on the mx track I was in love with the sport again. So my question is as much as Id love to buy a 2018 crf 450 I'm not quite ready to spend that bread, as this could just be an urge. But I found a 2013 Rmz450 with only 54 hours on it for $3100, I was just wondering if anyone had experience with those bikes and what they thought. Also on the price. But I actually enjoyed my sons bike more, as it wasnt as scary powerwise and reminded me of my old cr250 2smoke. I used to ride at an intermediate to pro level and think I might regret getting the 250 after I get comfortable on it. What do you guys think?
I have a 13 rmz 450, great bike with a few tweeks, suspension first. Budget will dictate your mods.
Meister
4/20/2018 9:00pm
You'll regret a 250 in no time. While the rmz's are a bargain, I suggest pony'n up n buying 1 new one n keeping it for a long time. You buy that rmz, you'll do a top end plus wear items n be back up in the 4s closer to 5. I'm only suggesting this coming from experience in the same situation. If new is not possible in any way, I'd suggest finding a year or two old 450 that's like new and going that route. 54 hours isn't a ton, but it's definitely to the point where you'll have more wear items popping.
jeffro503
4/20/2018 9:04pm Edited Date/Time 4/20/2018 9:05pm
I recently went riding with my son and my buddy at Carnegie Cycle Park. What I was afraid of happened, I rode my buddies 2017 CRF...
I can't speak on the 13' and above , but I did spend some time on a 2012. When it comes to 4 strokes , I kinda bleed green , but dang it.....I really, really dug that 2012! The motor seemed pretty mellow for a 450 , but easy to ride with great bottom end. And the way that thing cornered ( I know it's a cliche' about Suzuki's and cornering ).....but holy heck that thing could corner. I can't give any advice on weather you should buy that exact bike , but I will say I was pretty happy riding the one i got on. Ain't nothing wrong with those bikes at all , and if you get it set up for you.....I see no reason why you wouldn't dig it.

Btw.....welcome back. have fun and stay safe!

The Shop

jeffro503
4/20/2018 9:08pm
Meister wrote:
You'll regret a 250 in no time. While the rmz's are a bargain, I suggest pony'n up n buying 1 new one n keeping it for...
You'll regret a 250 in no time. While the rmz's are a bargain, I suggest pony'n up n buying 1 new one n keeping it for a long time. You buy that rmz, you'll do a top end plus wear items n be back up in the 4s closer to 5. I'm only suggesting this coming from experience in the same situation. If new is not possible in any way, I'd suggest finding a year or two old 450 that's like new and going that route. 54 hours isn't a ton, but it's definitely to the point where you'll have more wear items popping.
I'm with him......54 hours isn't a lot , but it isn't a fresh bike either. Use your best judgement.
yz133rider
4/20/2018 9:51pm
Meister wrote:
You'll regret a 250 in no time. While the rmz's are a bargain, I suggest pony'n up n buying 1 new one n keeping it for...
jeffro503 wrote:
I'm with him......54 hours isn't a lot , but it isn't a fresh bike either. Use your best judgement.
Yeppp no way id buy one with 54 hours unless the owner was a verifiable slow easy rider who took great care of it and even then to me 54 unknown hours is a lot. Id hold out for a 10 hour or less never ridden type bike. They're out there.
4/20/2018 11:27pm
Thanks for the input guys! As of now I have him down to 3k and signing the title off at $300 purchase. I might go for it if he takes $2900. I can't work on a bike for the life of me (my dad RIP loved working on bikes and did everything besides washing them) and a 4stroke is a different beast compared to swapping out a piston and rings. So with a bike like this wear and tear wise, what expected problems and costs would I be looking at in the future? He said he only used it for the track and had a KTM he used for Cross Country and Enduros. I won't be riding it more than a handfull of times a month, if that. I would love to buy a new Husky 250 2stroke, but want to make sure I'm back in before I make that commitment. I'm on the fence if I'm gonna wake up in the AM and make the 7 hour drive from Humboldt to Santa Cruz....here's some pics of the bike.
omalley
4/20/2018 11:56pm
If you want a Suzuki, I’d look for a leftover somewhere. For a few grand more (but still far less than a new red, green, or blue bike) you’d have a new bike.
4/21/2018 1:12am
omalley wrote:
If you want a Suzuki, I’d look for a leftover somewhere. For a few grand more (but still far less than a new red, green, or...
If you want a Suzuki, I’d look for a leftover somewhere. For a few grand more (but still far less than a new red, green, or blue bike) you’d have a new bike.
Ya very true, I just don't want to jump way in if this is just an itch I need to scratch. Not only the bike, but I'll need some newer gear, mods, etc. Hell I don't even have a stand, gas can, or bike ramp! I sold everything when I got out of the sport besides my gear bag. It had been so long that my chest protector which was clear plastic, was brittle yellow, goggles broke when I tried to put them over my helmet haha. But I just talked to my buddy who bought my Dad's old 1999 yz250 and still has it garaged at his house, he trail biked it out with soft suspension, oversized gas tank, bark busters etc. But it has been mainly sitting for 10 years with the occasional ride here and there. So I'm gonna buy that and bring it back to it's past glory and moto it out. Ill ride that and if in time I'm still into it I'll get a new bike. I just miss the sport more than I thought I would and would rather ride at the track to stay in shape then go to a gym, jog, hiking or something lame.
walent215
4/21/2018 7:09am
omalley wrote:
If you want a Suzuki, I’d look for a leftover somewhere. For a few grand more (but still far less than a new red, green, or...
Ya very true, I just don't want to jump way in if this is just an itch I need to scratch. Not only the bike, but...
Ya very true, I just don't want to jump way in if this is just an itch I need to scratch. Not only the bike, but I'll need some newer gear, mods, etc. Hell I don't even have a stand, gas can, or bike ramp! I sold everything when I got out of the sport besides my gear bag. It had been so long that my chest protector which was clear plastic, was brittle yellow, goggles broke when I tried to put them over my helmet haha. But I just talked to my buddy who bought my Dad's old 1999 yz250 and still has it garaged at his house, he trail biked it out with soft suspension, oversized gas tank, bark busters etc. But it has been mainly sitting for 10 years with the occasional ride here and there. So I'm gonna buy that and bring it back to it's past glory and moto it out. Ill ride that and if in time I'm still into it I'll get a new bike. I just miss the sport more than I thought I would and would rather ride at the track to stay in shape then go to a gym, jog, hiking or something lame.
Wow. I'd forget about that old yz. That's enough to have you get right back out of riding alone. Between the money getting it to moto shape and then dealing with its shortcomings afterwards. I'd ditch that idea . Bring 2500 cash to the Rmz owner and watch him jump all over it. A top end is cheap and not that difficult to do . Heck if you were close id do it for you. I sold my 2012 rmz450 for 2600 and was fortunate..imo...it was in excellent shape and i think youll find most rmz owners in California know their resale value which is why I think 2500 will buy that 13 your looking at. Give yourself a chance and get the 450. Mine was mellow but plenty of power. Be a great way to get your feet wet again. Good luck!
hillbilly
4/21/2018 7:14am
Have health insurance and be ready to take a digger.
Hammer 663s
4/21/2018 7:17am
Meister wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
yz133rider wrote:
Yeppp no way id buy one with 54 hours unless the owner was a verifiable slow easy rider who took great care of it and even...
Yeppp no way id buy one with 54 hours unless the owner was a verifiable slow easy rider who took great care of it and even then to me 54 unknown hours is a lot. Id hold out for a 10 hour or less never ridden type bike. They're out there.
54 hours isn't that much if well maintained and not ridden super hard. I didn't even do a piston in my 12 RMZ until 100 hours, and it was fine then. Buy it, spend some $$$ getting the suspension done for you, while the suspension is out go through and clean/grease all the bearings (ALL of them), check the spokes, change all fluids, put new tires on it,and take a close look at the clutch. That's the #2 place I'd spend $$$ on it. Then go ride it.I loved my RMZ and wish I still had it.

Mike
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
4/21/2018 7:20am Edited Date/Time 4/21/2018 7:21am
It sounds like you need a new financial planner because I can't imagine anyone wanting to come out of retirement unless they ran out of money.

But if you want to start riding, get the 450. I was in the same boat as you several years ago, I was a decent pro and stopped riding for years. When I started riding again I found the 450 funner and easier to ride than the 250 I had been riding.
TogaSet
Fantasy
3906th
4/21/2018 7:34am
If you were close to pro level speed as you say there’s not much we can tell you about bikes that you don’t already know. If I were going used I’d try to stick with Yamaha or Honda as the quality is better. If I went Suzuki or Kawi it better be low time less than 25 hours. Get a new one. Life is short.
hobohands91
4/21/2018 7:34am
Keefer recently did a great podcast on used bikes. An RMZ was mentioned, not sure what year, 2012 possibly. Good listen!
reded
4/21/2018 8:38am
hillbilly wrote:
Have health insurance and be ready to take a digger.
This.
Lightning78
4/21/2018 11:40am
I can comment on the bikes but i was at carnegie about a week and a half ago and that track is autrocious!!! The design layout and flow is as confused as a brittney spears fan that walked into a death metal concert
Forty
4/21/2018 11:52am
I have a 13, the fork was over sprung at purchase, sorted that out and no problems since...awesome bike.

4/21/2018 12:01pm
I was in your position last year. I got a 250f and rode A LOT last year with no regrets, actually I got another 250f this year, to me it's a lot more fun to have a bike that I feel I can push and ride hard compared to a bike that is faster than my ability level.
Bry145
4/22/2018 6:20am
250 2-stroke

Light, inexpensive, and pleasant sounding.

Just like a desirable lady!

tylermx967
4/22/2018 4:49pm
MY DAD US GOT THE 2012 SUSZUKI 450 AND SAY IT GOT LOTS OF POWER I SEED HIM DO POP A WEELES ON THE STREET ONE TIME THATS BY ARE HOUSE AND HE GET BIG TEXAS FLAG GRAFICS AND WANTS TO GET A SEAT COVER ALSO IN THE TEXAS FLAG

Post a reply to: Coming out of retirement and need your opinions

The Latest