Coming full circle

MotoChris
About 20 years ago when Doug Henry showed up at the races on a 4 stroke, my dad told me that all MX bikes would eventually be 4 stroke. I laughed and told him there was no way that 4T would ever take over "my" sport. 2T forever! Well.... we all know how that worked out. The other day I showed my 14yo a video of the Alta electric bike on a Motocross track and after watching with a smirk on his face turned to me and said..... "there is no way electric bikes will ever take over Motocross"! My dad and I shared a laugh over this on Christmas Day.
|
Cashmore
12/26/2016 10:01am
It would put half of the moto industry out of a job, and a lot of companies out of business. Let's hope not.

Maybe pro circuit and FMF should hit Elon Musk up and come up with a super battery
12/26/2016 10:10am
It is the future without a doubt, for tuning companies the engine is only part of the overall package, engine tuners will be moved aside for electrical engineers
hartebreak
Fantasy
247th
12/26/2016 10:18am
I also think its ironic that back in 96-97 when Lance Smail and Doug Henry were racing the thumpers, the announcers were making a big deal about it and the fans were going crazy screaming about how cool the bikes sound. Now days, when a dude runs around on a 2 stroke, its the same thing, people going crazy. Kind of funny how fickle us fans are.
jeffro503
12/26/2016 10:32am
Well I can say for sure that by the time the electric bikes become full swing in this sport , I'll be out of the sport and long gone. I can't ride and race dirt bikes for 30+ years , with the sounds of a motor under me....then switch to an electric bike. Playing around on some back yard track sounds kinda fun....but taking it to a full blown race track? Not me.

The Shop

Radical
Fantasy
2384th
12/26/2016 10:43am
I'll be racing them on my YZ125. I'm positive it'll be even more difficult and satisfying to pull a holeshot against them Smile
12/26/2016 10:46am Edited Date/Time 12/26/2016 10:48am
I dont like electric bikes, I dont like electric anything, but this isnt a factor in why I think electric bikes shouldnt be allowed to race mx.

My question is how do you make a comparison between an electric bike and a gas powered bike? Sure, the Alta bike is roughly comparable to a current 250 four stroke, but what about in 5 years? Will that same size/voltage/amperage/etc "engine" be twice as fast as it is now?

This happened with two stroke vs four stroke. The 250 four stroke vs 125 two stroke and 450 four stroke vs 250 two stroke rules were made when racing four strokes were still undeveloped. Time went on and they were made faster, lighter, etc, and they became much better than the two stroke bikes, thus making the 250 vs 125 and 450 vs 250 classes hugely unfair.

Now people still compare two stroke vs four stroke according to very outdated displacement rules (even though on a CC to CC comparison a two stroke is still a better engine).

The same thing is going to happen with the electric bikes. They will be given a huge 'handicap' early on, will be developed further, and then far exceed the necessary handicap, making any other type of bike obsolete.

Then of course we will be paying $10,000 for a bike that is going to effectively need a new 'engine' every 5 years at the cost of $5000 a piece, forcing out even more of the consumer base and making MX an even more exclusive and expensive sport than it already is.
hvaughn88
12/26/2016 10:54am
Cashmore wrote:
It would put half of the moto industry out of a job, and a lot of companies out of business. Let's hope not. Maybe pro circuit...
It would put half of the moto industry out of a job, and a lot of companies out of business. Let's hope not.

Maybe pro circuit and FMF should hit Elon Musk up and come up with a super battery
How so?
snackfedbear
12/26/2016 11:01am
I think it would make racing and riding more dangerous.. think of all the cross jumping because Barcia aint behind you... no thanks
BAMX
12/26/2016 11:13am
Cashmore wrote:
It would put half of the moto industry out of a job, and a lot of companies out of business. Let's hope not. Maybe pro circuit...

Tesla has no magic in their batteries other than marketing. They currently use standard 18650 batteries sourced from Panasonic. You can buy 18650 batteries just about anywhere as they are used in things like flashlights RC cars etc.. They are working on their own battery but it isn't new technology just a different format so as to maximize costs for their specific use.

http://fortune.com/2016/07/27/tesla-bigger-battery-gigafactory/
Bruce372
12/26/2016 11:17am
I dont like electric bikes, I dont like electric anything, but this isnt a factor in why I think electric bikes shouldnt be allowed to race...
I dont like electric bikes, I dont like electric anything, but this isnt a factor in why I think electric bikes shouldnt be allowed to race mx.

My question is how do you make a comparison between an electric bike and a gas powered bike? Sure, the Alta bike is roughly comparable to a current 250 four stroke, but what about in 5 years? Will that same size/voltage/amperage/etc "engine" be twice as fast as it is now?

This happened with two stroke vs four stroke. The 250 four stroke vs 125 two stroke and 450 four stroke vs 250 two stroke rules were made when racing four strokes were still undeveloped. Time went on and they were made faster, lighter, etc, and they became much better than the two stroke bikes, thus making the 250 vs 125 and 450 vs 250 classes hugely unfair.

Now people still compare two stroke vs four stroke according to very outdated displacement rules (even though on a CC to CC comparison a two stroke is still a better engine).

The same thing is going to happen with the electric bikes. They will be given a huge 'handicap' early on, will be developed further, and then far exceed the necessary handicap, making any other type of bike obsolete.

Then of course we will be paying $10,000 for a bike that is going to effectively need a new 'engine' every 5 years at the cost of $5000 a piece, forcing out even more of the consumer base and making MX an even more exclusive and expensive sport than it already is.
Dude, a top of the line 450 is 10,000 dollars and a complete engine rebuild might cost several thousand so I am not sure that's a valid argument.

Didn't the alta bike claim over 1000 hours with no maintainance on the motor.
mark_swart
12/26/2016 11:55am
I've gone from two to four...screw it, why not electric.

And for the record, even in the late 90s when there were only a few on the track, four strokes still sounded like ass haha!!!
12/26/2016 12:03pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Dude, a top of the line 450 is 10,000 dollars and a complete engine rebuild might cost several thousand so I am not sure that's a...
Dude, a top of the line 450 is 10,000 dollars and a complete engine rebuild might cost several thousand so I am not sure that's a valid argument.

Didn't the alta bike claim over 1000 hours with no maintainance on the motor.
Im referring to the batteries
chump6784
12/26/2016 1:28pm
I dont like electric bikes, I dont like electric anything, but this isnt a factor in why I think electric bikes shouldnt be allowed to race...

The problem with the two stroke and four stroke rules is the people who made them used a set and forget ruling. In nearly every other form of motorsport as technology advances the rules are revisited. When the four strokes started taking over the FIM/AMA could have stepped in and started reducing 4 stroke capacity to keep things even. They didn't and we pretty much saw the end of two strokes.
They could easily write a rule saying in 2020 for example, the 450cc class becomes 350cc and the 250cc class becomes 175cc.

The same would happen with electric motors. The rule makers have a technical team with the latest offering of both petrol and electric bikes. Each year they test them and adjust the rules to suit advancements in technology giving the manufacturers enough time to make changes for upcoming year models
12/26/2016 2:39pm
chump6784 wrote:
The problem with the two stroke and four stroke rules is the people who made them used a set and forget ruling. In nearly every other...
The problem with the two stroke and four stroke rules is the people who made them used a set and forget ruling. In nearly every other form of motorsport as technology advances the rules are revisited. When the four strokes started taking over the FIM/AMA could have stepped in and started reducing 4 stroke capacity to keep things even. They didn't and we pretty much saw the end of two strokes.
They could easily write a rule saying in 2020 for example, the 450cc class becomes 350cc and the 250cc class becomes 175cc.

The same would happen with electric motors. The rule makers have a technical team with the latest offering of both petrol and electric bikes. Each year they test them and adjust the rules to suit advancements in technology giving the manufacturers enough time to make changes for upcoming year models
Your assuming they would 'want' to keep combustion engines competitive against electric motors....just like they wanted to keep 2T around
Jrewing
12/26/2016 2:46pm
Chinese company will be the big battery player real soon. Has a larger share than LG already and soon Panasonic. Investing extremely heavy. Battery tech is getting pushed harder and harder- I don't want it though.

People saying we will run out of places to ride with engines. Not long after that we will run out of places to live free.
12/26/2016 2:53pm
I think its cool they they are becoming more and more obtainable...but there need to be some very specific restrictions or guidelines. Make a class for the E Bikes, this will keep the gas bikes relevant.

However, trail riding could really benefit from the e-bike movement.
chump6784
12/26/2016 6:13pm
chump6784 wrote:
The problem with the two stroke and four stroke rules is the people who made them used a set and forget ruling. In nearly every other...

Your assuming they would 'want' to keep combustion engines competitive against electric motors....just like they wanted to keep 2T around
Very true
12/26/2016 6:30pm
chump6784 wrote:

Adjusting the displacement/size of engine every year based on performance would make the manufacturers back away from racing altogether. You cant just develop an entire new engine every year, that would be crazy expensive. In theory its a good idea but it wouldnt work in real life.

There really isnt any feasible way to keep the two types of engines competitive... theres too many factors involved to see 10 years down the road and how the bikes will evolve.

But it will probably be as the other post said... they dont care about keeping them competitive, eventually we will all be riding one form of bike or another, but not by choice.
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
12/26/2016 8:50pm
chump6784 wrote:

Adjusting the displacement/size of engine every year based on performance would make the manufacturers back away from racing altogether. You cant just develop an entire new...
Adjusting the displacement/size of engine every year based on performance would make the manufacturers back away from racing altogether. You cant just develop an entire new engine every year, that would be crazy expensive. In theory its a good idea but it wouldnt work in real life.

There really isnt any feasible way to keep the two types of engines competitive... theres too many factors involved to see 10 years down the road and how the bikes will evolve.

But it will probably be as the other post said... they dont care about keeping them competitive, eventually we will all be riding one form of bike or another, but not by choice.
Not every year, every 5-10 years the displacement should be adjusted as needed to keep the speed relatively the same as it has been traditionally.
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
12/26/2016 8:50pm

chump6784 wrote:

this!
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
12/26/2016 8:52pm
Cashmore wrote:

You can't see other OEs at least having an interest in this? I can.
chump6784
12/26/2016 11:57pm
chump6784 wrote:

Adjusting the displacement/size of engine every year based on performance would make the manufacturers back away from racing altogether. You cant just develop an entire new...

Radical wrote:
Not every year, every 5-10 years the displacement should be adjusted as needed to keep the speed relatively the same as it has been traditionally.
Yeah, I didn't mean every year. The bikes aren't advancing fast enough to need that.

Jimmy_Sloan
12/27/2016 12:07am
MotoChris wrote:
About 20 years ago when Doug Henry showed up at the races on a 4 stroke, my dad told me that all MX bikes would eventually...
About 20 years ago when Doug Henry showed up at the races on a 4 stroke, my dad told me that all MX bikes would eventually be 4 stroke. I laughed and told him there was no way that 4T would ever take over "my" sport. 2T forever! Well.... we all know how that worked out. The other day I showed my 14yo a video of the Alta electric bike on a Motocross track and after watching with a smirk on his face turned to me and said..... "there is no way electric bikes will ever take over Motocross"! My dad and I shared a laugh over this on Christmas Day.
Ha ha, that's great. I never thought Jeremy McGrath would go far when I saw him on The Peak PC bikes. Guess I was wrong.
12/27/2016 2:15am Edited Date/Time 12/27/2016 2:19am
hartebreak wrote:
I also think its ironic that back in 96-97 when Lance Smail and Doug Henry were racing the thumpers, the announcers were making a big deal...
I also think its ironic that back in 96-97 when Lance Smail and Doug Henry were racing the thumpers, the announcers were making a big deal about it and the fans were going crazy screaming about how cool the bikes sound. Now days, when a dude runs around on a 2 stroke, its the same thing, people going crazy. Kind of funny how fickle us fans are.
I don't recall anyone thinking that the 4 strokes sounded cool.. that was especially clear in the beginning when they sounded like fart cans vs. Braaap! Nowadays, the 4 strokes sound much better than the originals and not so much like the original fart cans with their huge, ineffective mufflers on the original YZ400F and CRF450. Braap still sounds better, though. I have both and you cant beat a 2 stroke for fun, sound, smell, cost, ease of maintenance, light weight and flickability. That is a lot of reasons.

The electric bikes are awesome with surprising potential, but I think that once the newness wears off, they will be less fun than the old 2 stroke. while they may help open up more riding areas, the instant acceleration of electric motors may cause a few more injuries though than the old combustion engines. Bikes are getting too fast, today. 125/ 250 2Ts were just right for all us non-pro's tat done earn their pay check from the speed of the bike.
Samuel
12/27/2016 3:42am
Haha, funny story. I love nothing more than having something between my legs propelling me forward (no, I'm not talking about my dick). I don't care what the medium is, I will be riding two wheels for as long as I can, whether it be two stroke, four stroke, or electric. I love the rush of being propelled forward and being challenged. If the technology can propel me forward with at least a little hp, I'll be happy. If dirt bikes go all electric, I'll be riding one with a smile on my face. I think that sounds a lot nicer than pouting on the sidelines talking about the glory of gas engines.
bents
Fantasy
909th
12/27/2016 9:43am
I am trying to remain open minded about this technology but I do not see the appeal to these things other than the practical component. For trail riding, and to be able to go where gas powered bikes cannot is cool and I am open to that but as for as track riding or racing goes, no thanks. It does not look nor sound fun to me. I want both a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke in my garage for completely different reasons but the common denominator is fun. And I like to buy completely unnecessary shit for my bikes too, and I dont want that to go away either.

Not everything created is better than the previous itineration of something.
wsc96
Fantasy
451st
12/27/2016 7:37pm
Separate classes for them I think. Otherwise we end up with the same 2t vs 4t "issues". Opens it up to other OEMs and the current 4 x Japanese manufacturers can either compete in the electric bike market or not.

Post a reply to: Coming full circle

The Latest