"Coming down to the starts"

Related:
Create New Tag

3/26/2017 10:01 AM

After Watching the supercross season this
Year, I think the part of any track design
Should be focused mostly on how we get
( the riders) options out of the gate.
Example : split gate sections or further starting start lanes to break them up , and
Give more riders a chance.
That's my opinion of course , but it is
Always mentioned by the "Pros" and head staff of the magazine company's.
what are your thoughts?

|

3/26/2017 10:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/26/2017 10:13 AM

Id like to see 2 rows. It makes no sense for the top guys to have their race effected by the back half of the field so much. it should be called "startercross" at this point. The back 5 guys or so that are getting lapped 5 minutes into the race dont deserve the opportunity to be an obstacle for the top guys on the start.

The stars aligned for the 250 race and we had top guys up front. it would have been better if osborne was up there as well. With the top 10 guys starting on the front row we would have a train of fast guys more often then not.

Lets be real here. there are the main event guys then there are the main event contenders

|

3/26/2017 10:54 AM

I agree , so your saying handle it like a
Moto GP style?

|

3/26/2017 1:00 PM

i really think a grid start in SX would create unreal racing . every week we would have Eli ,Dunge and MM25 in a battle from lap one . not hoping all of them get a good start and out together

|

3/26/2017 1:25 PM

sport will have to move on from js7 eventually either way but I bet he would support the grid start. I think he would benefit greatly

|

3/26/2017 9:42 PM

I like the Double row main event gate idea.

Maybe start everyone on the same 22 man gate for heats, semis, and LCQ. Then do the double row for the mains.

Having all start on the same qualifying gates (heat etc) would add some element of randomness to the front row main event qualifiers. 8 heat and top two from each semi for the front row. Title contenders could make the front row start pretty easily that way, which should lesson the impact of the first 5 seconds of the race impacting the championship.

|

Warning: I support propane and propane accessories, fossil burning two-cycle engines, U.S. beef industry and watching the best athletes in the world go to battle... Yup...

3/26/2017 9:59 PM

Rct851 wrote:

sport will have to move on from js7 eventually either way but I bet he would support the grid start. I think he would benefit ...more

The sport has already moved on, did you see this weekend's racing? 250's were spectacular and the 450's are going down to the wire.

Quite frankly it's irrelevant what Stewart thinks about the starts. He is retired and currently making no attempt to give anything back to the sport that made him a millionaire. Difficult to see how he would benefit when he's not even on the gate.

|

3/26/2017 10:37 PM

Rct851 wrote:

sport will have to move on from js7 eventually either way but I bet he would support the grid start. I think he would benefit ...more

FARANG wrote:

The sport has already moved on, did you see this weekend's racing? 250's were spectacular and the 450's are going down to the ...more

Do you think "the sport" made James a millionaire?

I'm thinking it had more to do with the work James put into "the sport", coupled with his level of talent. I don't think he owes "the sport" anything. He rose to a level in his chosen professional where he was able to largely do things however he wanted. Many of us are trying to do the same with our own lives.

Yeah, it'd be cool to have him around, but he's probably enjoying not having to travel all of time. Retired at 31? Not bad I say...if he's truly retired.

|

3/26/2017 11:25 PM

Rct851 wrote:

FARANG wrote:

The sport has already moved on, did you see this weekend's racing? 250's were spectacular and the 450's are going down to the ...more

Stephon wrote:

I'm thinking it had more to do with the work James put into "the sport", ...more

Well, it's unlikely he'd have made that type of money without the sport, but of course his effort and talent was required and he was very well remunerated for that effort.

Whether he owes the sport anything is a matter of opinion. My opinion is that he's free to take his cash and walk away if he likes - but it might be nice if he put something back in like a lot of ex-pro's do, especially for his fans who supported him along the way.

However you appear to have missed my points which were.

1. The season is pretty awesome without him, it certainly doesn't need him.
2. He isn't going to benefit from any rule changes if he's not racing.
3. He really shouldn't have any say on rule changes if he decides to take his money and walk away from the sport.

I just found RCT851's post a bit weird, like somehow we need Stewart's approval on this?

|

3/27/2017 12:03 AM

I would be curious to see the double row IF the top 10 in the championship is starting from the 2nd row. Issue: it would increase the risk.

|

3/27/2017 4:59 AM

FARANG wrote:

Stephon wrote:

I'm thinking it had more to do with the work James put into "the sport", ...more

FARANG wrote:

Well, it's unlikely he'd have made that type of money without the sport, but of course his effort and talent was required and ...more

Seven gear? The James Stewart Freestone Spring race? Hosting all of the winners at his compound for a ride day? Yep. He does nothing for the sport

|

3/27/2017 11:28 AM

FARANG wrote:

Stephon wrote:

FARANG wrote:

Well, it's unlikely he'd have made that type of money without the sport, but of course his effort and talent was required and ...more

Maybe I could have worded it better. I wasnt suggesting Stewart's opinion on a gate change would or should have any effect on a decision at all.

Just suggesting if this were to happen He may more more inclined to continue racing. I think he would fair much better starting with a semi clear track. Obviously I'm assuming he would qualify well enough for the front row.

|

3/27/2017 12:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2017 12:14 PM

Haevn't looked for a while, but here's the latest stats.

Photo

Photo

|

3/27/2017 12:26 PM

I've long said this about the start. What is the point of qualifying position when the idea of a starting gate is making it equal?? I'm all for a drop of the gate, but maybe they need to angle the gate a lot more. Like the outside gate is way farther away from parallel to the first turn. The inside is much closer, therefore the rider who gets number one gate pick actually has a bit of an advantage...

|

3/27/2017 12:58 PM

Is OP's post written in Haiku?

|

3/27/2017 1:57 PM

Gate pick lottery. Qualifiers just to get to main. Award points for quali finish for motivation.

|

3/27/2017 1:59 PM

Random lasers.

|

3/27/2017 2:01 PM

FARANG wrote:

Stephon wrote:

FARANG wrote:

Seems kinda short-sighted to say he wouldn't have made that type of money without the sport. Maybe he would have.

|

3/27/2017 2:12 PM

i would be pumped if they did a grid start. not pumped or anything, just be good if they went that way.

|

3/27/2017 3:25 PM

brimx153 wrote:

i really think a grid start in SX would create unreal racing . every week we would have Eli ,Dunge and MM25 in a battle from ...more

For about half a lap, then the fastest guy will be out front and win by 10sec at the end. Racing is way better if guys are coming through the pack.

|

3/27/2017 3:40 PM

rhargrave431 wrote:

I've long said this about the start. What is the point of qualifying position when the idea of a starting gate is making it ...more

THIS^^^^^

Make it substantially shorter for the fastest qualifier to the first turn, or get a digital gate that drops at different times like a bracket race. Yeah its totally different but thats the point.

I never understood two hours of qualifying just for a gatepick...either make the gatepick a real advantage or give some points. Right now the Heats and Semis are just pointless.

|

2013 CRF450R Factory Connection revalve, All stock.

3/27/2017 4:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2017 4:05 PM

I would like to see a wall jump every once and a while, just off the start before the first shift. It would slow everyone down and provide a second chance for a few riders to make or break it!

|

3/27/2017 5:38 PM

If this is about starts, then lottery is my choice.

Here's the reasoning: The results in our sport are too consistent, leading to a lack of drama.
The more you put the fastest riders in order of qualifying the less likely there will be any passing, just like MotoGP.
It becomes a boring parade.

The starting gate is iconic to our sport, this is a tradition I would never want to see changed. A starting gate gives (in theory) everyone a fair chance. No other motorsport does it like that.

A lottery start creates a new set of problems about the previous races being meaningful. While I advocate for an elimination format where 1/2 of the field is eliminated in each of 4 quarterfinals down to 2 semi's and then the main (starting with 80 riders), I see the possible 3 main format of the MEC also being high in entertainment value and never having the factory riders eliminated before the main(s) keeping spectators and factories happy.

Houston 1978

[LINK TO IMAGE]

SX/MX has always been special because of the "daredevil" aspect of everyone arriving to the 1st turn at the same time creating drama.

Photo

You don't get this anywhere else. Un predictable!
Photo

|

3/27/2017 5:46 PM

Stephon wrote:

FARANG wrote:

hvaughn88 wrote:

Seems kinda short-sighted to say he wouldn't have made that type of money without the sport. Maybe he would have.

Indeed. Hence my use of the word "unlikely", as opposed to "wouldn't".

|

3/27/2017 5:50 PM

Staggered gate would be cool IMO. Top 10 qualifiers start a couple of bike lengths ahead of the rest.

You'd still get the top 10 arriving at the first corner around the same time for a bit of excitement, but a bad start would result in a 10th place on the first lap rather than 15th or 16th, therefore placing less emphasis on the start and more emphasis on the rest of the race.

|

3/27/2017 6:00 PM

I would like to see the riders start across from the bikes and run from a standing start, strap on their helmets, start the bikes and then take off...

|

Epstein Barr is a form of the Herpes Virus.

3/27/2017 6:10 PM

peelout wrote:

i would be pumped if they did a grid start. not pumped or anything, just be good if they went that way.

lol perfect use

|

3/27/2017 6:51 PM

If you want double rows go watch arenacross

|

3/28/2017 9:00 PM

FARANG wrote:

Stephon wrote:

FARANG wrote:

I was just directly addressing what you wrote.

Who knows why he's not around, I certainly don't, but I'd bet he dealt with certain things that make it easy to stay away.

...and no, I don't think his approval is needed on this either.

|

3/29/2017 4:21 AM

Sounds like you want to penalize people who rightfully got into the main. Theyre already at a disadvantage with bad gate picks. What if tomac or dungey goes through a semi and is in the 2nd row? They have to fight through the whole pack? Why not let everyone have an equal chance to win. If you cant get a good start then tough shit

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600