Combined Series, thoughts from Listening to Steve and Ralph

Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
On Steve's Podcast Ralph says he thinks all series should be combined into one Series, and one company takes over , I couldnt disagree more for several reasons , but first is.
#1 if a guy gets hurt his whole year would be screwed, at least they get a reset going from 1 championship to the next.
#2 no competition causes dictatorship and usually hurts more than it helps.
Hearing that got me thinking, the opposite
What if they split the 1 supercross into 2
An east and a west 450 championship
All guys eligible, but if Someone gets hurt ,
Or was hurt and not ready for Round 1 in the first series there whole year wasnt shot, We all know how big of a part of MX/SX injuries are ,
And Same for Outdoor
What if it was two 6 round 450 and 250 championship's ?
I know a lot of you Hate change and trying new things , my opinion is it can always be changed back ,
But anyway just for the sake of discussion, what is your opinion?
It is the off season after all Let's have discussions !
|
billyp330
11/6/2018 12:05pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2018 12:05pm
I have said several times that I think they should split the 450 championship into East/West like 250s. There could be 9 or 10 rounds per coast (giving more total sx races like Feld wants, with riders racing less) Gives more riders a chance to do well (competition is split in half). Makes it easier for privateers to compete (less travel). They could also do a few combined shoot outs in central locations to determine an overall champ or combine points from each coast with outdoors to have a combine champion. I really don't see a downside to that option.
ATKpilot99
11/6/2018 12:19pm
I would like to see 12 sx rounds and 17 outdoor rounds . Not combined.
Frank
11/6/2018 12:50pm
USA = Only Professional Supercross Series. 20 rounds per year. One class - 450. Get rid of "privateers" and the 250E/250W bullshit. Its supposed to be a professional motorsport. Put 22 PRO riders on the line or cut the gate.

MXGP = Only Professional Motocross Series. 20 rounds per year. Two classes 250 & 450.

Two completely different motorsports. Two completely different sets of pro racers.

After losing the last 7 years straight at the MXoN and getting absolutely killed at the most american style track its obvious the usa nationals are no longer a thing. Even the imports to the usa nationals got their asses handed to them at the MXoN. How much more proof do we need?

11/6/2018 1:15pm
Frank wrote:
USA = Only Professional Supercross Series. 20 rounds per year. One class - 450. Get rid of "privateers" and the 250E/250W bullshit. Its supposed to be...
USA = Only Professional Supercross Series. 20 rounds per year. One class - 450. Get rid of "privateers" and the 250E/250W bullshit. Its supposed to be a professional motorsport. Put 22 PRO riders on the line or cut the gate.

MXGP = Only Professional Motocross Series. 20 rounds per year. Two classes 250 & 450.

Two completely different motorsports. Two completely different sets of pro racers.

After losing the last 7 years straight at the MXoN and getting absolutely killed at the most american style track its obvious the usa nationals are no longer a thing. Even the imports to the usa nationals got their asses handed to them at the MXoN. How much more proof do we need?

Put down the wacky tobaccy.

The Shop

early
Fantasy
2212th
11/6/2018 1:21pm
14 rounds of each series.

Ralph thought that that Brett Michael's song was a good idea, his suggestions are void.
TymeMoto
11/6/2018 1:43pm
My kickstarter just busted—where do you get all your parts?
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
11/6/2018 1:46pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
I would like to see 12 sx rounds and 17 outdoor rounds . Not combined.
I'm sure There are lots that would love that , not Feld though
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
11/6/2018 1:48pm
Frank wrote:
USA = Only Professional Supercross Series. 20 rounds per year. One class - 450. Get rid of "privateers" and the 250E/250W bullshit. Its supposed to be...

Rushton597 wrote:
If there Are No privateers where do new riders come from?
Frank
11/6/2018 2:44pm
Frank wrote:

Rushton597 wrote:
Tarz483 wrote:
Seriously? You think the FIM World Supercross Series and FIM World Motocross Series should be on the job training for amateurs trying to make it? That is what amateur nationals and arenacross is for.

Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
11/6/2018 3:13pm
Rushton597 wrote:
Tarz483 wrote:
Frank wrote:
Seriously? You think the FIM World Supercross Series and FIM World Motocross Series should be on the job training for amateurs trying to make it? That...
Seriously? You think the FIM World Supercross Series and FIM World Motocross Series should be on the job training for amateurs trying to make it? That is what amateur nationals and arenacross is for.

Maybe I would Agree with you if the Amateur Nationals
Even had a points series instead of one off races, but the way things are now , yes on the job training is the best option there is , and they do still have to qualify to get in The night show , or 40 man gates outside.
11/6/2018 4:22pm
billyp330 wrote:
I have said several times that I think they should split the 450 championship into East/West like 250s. There could be 9 or 10 rounds per...
I have said several times that I think they should split the 450 championship into East/West like 250s. There could be 9 or 10 rounds per coast (giving more total sx races like Feld wants, with riders racing less) Gives more riders a chance to do well (competition is split in half). Makes it easier for privateers to compete (less travel). They could also do a few combined shoot outs in central locations to determine an overall champ or combine points from each coast with outdoors to have a combine champion. I really don't see a downside to that option.
that`s the dumbest thing i`ve ever heard. both series would be like watching the last rounds when half the guys are hurt. I wanna see the best against the best not half the rider`s running to the other coast from Tomac
Drtbykr
11/6/2018 4:50pm
billyp330 wrote:
I have said several times that I think they should split the 450 championship into East/West like 250s. There could be 9 or 10 rounds per...
cablecable wrote:
that`s the dumbest thing i`ve ever heard. both series would be like watching the last rounds when half the guys are hurt. I wanna see the...
that`s the dumbest thing i`ve ever heard. both series would be like watching the last rounds when half the guys are hurt. I wanna see the best against the best not half the rider`s running to the other coast from Tomac
Last SX I was at cost $125 per..that’s $1,000,000 Canadian dollars. I would like to see the best of the best, both classes.
billyp330
11/7/2018 6:10am
billyp330 wrote:
cablecable wrote:
that`s the dumbest thing i`ve ever heard. both series would be like watching the last rounds when half the guys are hurt. I wanna see the...
I think you would be surprised how close the racing would be. Think of it this way. The 250s are all most always the best racing. Those same guys go to up to 450s, yet the racing is still better generally in 250s. Why is this? Could it be the bikes? Possibly. But i do believe its the fact that since there is a talent split and the season is shorter, more guys feel they have fighting chance. No one can deny the mental aspect of racing and how huge it impacts the racers. When they line up with to the best of the best in 450s a lot of them probably immediately set lower expectations on themselves. If the field was split it would make them up their expectations and therefore up their game. Also, having a shorter series makes guys feel less wore out near the end and would give guys more chance to recover from injuries has they would have longer off seasons.
SKlein
11/7/2018 12:13pm
TymeMoto wrote:
HJacks should have you covered.
NorCal 50+
11/7/2018 12:21pm
TymeMoto wrote:
SKlein wrote:
HJacks should have you covered.
Ahahaha- the Motosport ad on Vital. I had the same thought: "because kickstarters are always breaking. Happens all the time. Snapped another one just the other day!"
JM485
11/7/2018 12:30pm
Frank wrote:

Seems like during outdoors you don’t get dumb ass ideas like this posted nearly as much since the actual race fans are watching, but every year like clockwork before and during the supercross season the dipshittery is just off the charts. We’re arrived at the pre-supercross period for the year, best of luck to everyone in wading through the pools of excreted nonsense that are sure to surface in the coming weeks.
Bramlett321
11/7/2018 12:36pm
One thing that I did like about what Ralph said is that there needs to be more of a break. These guys are getting all busted up and by the time the outdoors gets here there are times when we don't have all our top riders. I think it sucks ass that we have to be steered around football and other sports because of the TV package. But, we have it on TV so I hate to sound too spoiled.
Frank
11/7/2018 2:29pm
One thing that I did like about what Ralph said is that there needs to be more of a break. These guys are getting all busted...
One thing that I did like about what Ralph said is that there needs to be more of a break. These guys are getting all busted up and by the time the outdoors gets here there are times when we don't have all our top riders. I think it sucks ass that we have to be steered around football and other sports because of the TV package. But, we have it on TV so I hate to sound too spoiled.
Motocross and Supercross are NOT the same sport. If they are why does Brayton, Stewart and others only race SX? Why has the usa lost the last 7 mxon and got totally embarrassed on home soil this year?

The teams should hire 1 SX rider and 1 MX rider for each class. They both would have 35+ weeks off each year and be able to focus on 1 discipline of the sport like the rest of the world.

The TV package does nothing to help the sport. Bike sales are not going up because of live tv. The only people who watch sx/mx on tv are people who ride/race. Drop the tv package and go internet only. The MXGP package is far better than any tv deal for the consumer. No need for it to be on tv. This would allow them to run the races all 52 weeks out the year not having to schedule around other broadcasts.

Matthes did not challenge Ralph because he wants to be liked. Ralph is wrong. I mute the broadcast while watching since they don't broadcast the sound of the bikes. Yet even Ralph said they should. After watching RC during a bike cutaway session say "these are the handlebars they will be important in the later stages of the race" I realized how amateur and incompetent the coverage of this sport really is.

RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
11/7/2018 5:14pm
One thing that I did like about what Ralph said is that there needs to be more of a break. These guys are getting all busted...
We've got a little bit of progress. The Outdoor season used to overlap with the Supercross season.
11/7/2018 6:55pm
In a perfect world an international supercross series that doesn’t clash with MXGP would be mint.

All the fastest dudes in the world racing each other on the regular, the GP guys can pick up supercross and the SX guys can pick up motocross again.
kb228
11/7/2018 7:25pm
Frank wrote:
Motocross and Supercross are NOT the same sport. If they are why does Brayton, Stewart and others only race SX? Why has the usa lost the...
Motocross and Supercross are NOT the same sport. If they are why does Brayton, Stewart and others only race SX? Why has the usa lost the last 7 mxon and got totally embarrassed on home soil this year?

The teams should hire 1 SX rider and 1 MX rider for each class. They both would have 35+ weeks off each year and be able to focus on 1 discipline of the sport like the rest of the world.

The TV package does nothing to help the sport. Bike sales are not going up because of live tv. The only people who watch sx/mx on tv are people who ride/race. Drop the tv package and go internet only. The MXGP package is far better than any tv deal for the consumer. No need for it to be on tv. This would allow them to run the races all 52 weeks out the year not having to schedule around other broadcasts.

Matthes did not challenge Ralph because he wants to be liked. Ralph is wrong. I mute the broadcast while watching since they don't broadcast the sound of the bikes. Yet even Ralph said they should. After watching RC during a bike cutaway session say "these are the handlebars they will be important in the later stages of the race" I realized how amateur and incompetent the coverage of this sport really is.

Dude im so sick and tired of the comparison between mxon and supercross. Tomac has literally won in USGPs more than hes lost. Stop acting like the US cant compete. Its simply not true. Most of those 7 years we sent our B/C string of riders instead of RV/Dungey/Tomac anyways.

That being said stop trying to spin the series upside down. I think the majority of people want less SX rounds and 1 250 division. Maybe more triple crowns too. Those are badass.
Prejump
11/8/2018 3:20am
SX & MXGP are already FIM world championships.

The US nats is just an average national series. It's not even the most competitive national series anymore. Dutch, German, etc all prob stronger if were being honest.

What needs to happen is some elite US riders dedicate them selves to racing MXGP & selective US nationals. Forget the SX.

SX riders should stay national in the summer.

Trying to do SX & MXGP is too much strain on the body & isnt going to help the MXGP track & style of riding.

Just need the fans to get behind an MXGP world title attempt & hopefully an elite US rider will have the balls to take on the world.

11/8/2018 4:32am
Not this crap again it's getting old leave it to vital forum users they have all the answers!
BobKerr
11/8/2018 4:50am
If there were to be any change, I would make the 250 SX classes into one class like the 450's. Mitch Payton has suggested this, and I agree with him.
Bramlett321
11/8/2018 5:28am
Frank wrote:
Motocross and Supercross are NOT the same sport. If they are why does Brayton, Stewart and others only race SX? Why has the usa lost the...

I get what you're saying and I wasn't trying to imply that they were. My point with the TV package was that our sport comes second to stick and ball but that's another podcast. The reason they don't have enough time off is based on that TV package and the amount of races. Give the riders a dang month between SX and MX at least. TV is just trying to draw in listeners I don't think they give one hill of beans about bike sales. I'm trying to think of a downside to internet only but I really can't....unless there are areas that just can't get a good service.

Did you not think that Steve did a better job of asking Ralph at least some of the things that he has rants about? Hell I did....it surprised me that he hit him with the "green Kawi" comment and things like that. But you're right about the way they do the segments with RC lol....Matthes has the idea when it comes to going to the motor home and asking about injuries or issues with the bike. Just something more that what we're getting, we have Emig who knows everything about this sport and the bikes they ride I don't get why they don't utilize that knowledge.
bama205
11/8/2018 7:06am
billyp330 wrote:
cablecable wrote:
billyp330 wrote:
I think you would be surprised how close the racing would be. Think of it this way. The 250s are all most always the best racing...
I think you would be surprised how close the racing would be. Think of it this way. The 250s are all most always the best racing. Those same guys go to up to 450s, yet the racing is still better generally in 250s. Why is this? Could it be the bikes? Possibly. But i do believe its the fact that since there is a talent split and the season is shorter, more guys feel they have fighting chance. No one can deny the mental aspect of racing and how huge it impacts the racers. When they line up with to the best of the best in 450s a lot of them probably immediately set lower expectations on themselves. If the field was split it would make them up their expectations and therefore up their game. Also, having a shorter series makes guys feel less wore out near the end and would give guys more chance to recover from injuries has they would have longer off seasons.
It’s because more guys can push a 250 to the limit than can a 450.
tprice07
11/8/2018 8:00am
Drop the Series/Championship all together and promote individual races with big money purses....I know I'm in the minority with this but I really don't care about championships. It's not that fun to watch a rider protect his championship.

I want a series of races where every race counts. Where riders are fighting to win for the big money. If you think this wouldn't work, look at the UFC or Boxing. Cut down the number of races and give us more in depth content with the individual riders. Build up the names of the sport by following them around during the week. Things like Behind the Dream, Inside the Outdoors, etc are great for the sport. It builds up names of riders. There are enough riders and stories out there to entertain. That is where the value is. Things like that give more riders more exposure resulting in more brand deals and endorsements. These guys are savages, kids will idolize them and buy whatever they are wearing. Let's get us out of this niche market where only industry companies are sponsoring riders.

Also, motocross, as much as I personally enjoy watching it, will not be around forever. The format is too long for the attention span of people these days. The future is a 3 "moto" format in which we see more gate drops and more action in less time per race. Don't let the race go stale.

Post a reply to: Combined Series, thoughts from Listening to Steve and Ralph

The Latest