Colorado Springs Area for a week-Tracks to Practice?

Edited Date/Time 10/9/2021 3:14pm
Hitting Gma and Gpa with the fam for a week. 450 dialed and in tow. Looking at Aztec, IMI and Thunder Valley. Any other recommendations on prepped practice tracks up and down the I-25 corridor. I don’t mind driving 2-3 Hours. LFG 🌮
Peace
|
10/7/2021 5:58pm
I was out there a month ago. Avoid IMI unless you like concrete. Thunder Valley was decent other than needing wiper blades on goggles when the sprinklers are running.
JBernard_401
10/7/2021 6:19pm
Could try to get up to Leadville before they shut down soon for the season.
Aztec dirt is up there with IMI concrete depending on temp and prep.

Shawnh
10/8/2021 5:28am
IMI is actually amazing on the weekends until 2-3 PM. They always prep first thing and water through out the day. Thunder Valley is also prepped well on the weekends but again get there early as it will get worse in the afternoon if it gets hot. Both of these prep at least a couple days during the week as well. Two Rivers in Milliken usually preps as well but doesn't open until noon. Stay away from Watkins, great dirt but terrible prep. All tracks in Colorado will be concrete if you don't go on a prep day so best to check if riding during the week.
BMc914
10/8/2021 7:33am
They have this running this weekend. Not that far from the Highway. Get off at 136th and I25 and go east like 10 minutes. Gonna be a great time.

The Shop

Kanute
10/8/2021 1:44pm
I know it is not a track, but some of the trails off of gold camp road are a blast. Captain Jacks specifically. You basically park in Co Springs.
the kid 857
10/8/2021 9:54pm
Aztec is great, Fun track good dirt, ill be there tomorrow.
MotoCoUSA
10/9/2021 6:52am
Pretty much what everyone else said; if you want ripped/tilled/watered fresh tracks be there when they open, otherwise they get burned in pretty quick. Leadville is a sick spot not sure if they’re still open tho. Easy track but fun. If you hit any trails make sure you get a forest sticker. Have fun!
sandman768
10/9/2021 7:30am
I’m in Boulder visiting my daughter at college… There must be some good riding around here! I have no bike😂
Rider 5280
10/9/2021 7:39am Edited Date/Time 10/9/2021 9:53am
sandman768 wrote:
I’m in Boulder visiting my daughter at college… There must be some good riding around here! I have no bike😂
Potential rental options (just have heard people at work talk about these, I have no personal experience):
https://www.ridemtmoto.com/
https://www.coloradomotorcycleadventures.com/
Solidkm
10/9/2021 2:47pm
Aztec is good. Ram MX track ( right next to aztec ) has been good this year. I would say more vet oriented. well kept on the weekend. I personally avioid every other inch of the property.

Leadville is running tomorrow. That spot is worth the hike if youre from out of town. I bet this is the last weekend for LV, too. You WILL hit traffic coming home, though.

Avoid IMI unless you brought your street bike for the MX track, like someone else said.

I haven't looked but two rivers/ Milliken might be open. Will be a hike from springs but thats a good spot, too.
Shawnh
10/9/2021 3:14pm
Solidkm, do you ever actually ride the pro track at IMI on the weekend? I really don't understand your streetbike comment for the MX track? IMI prep is everybit as good as Aztec and has bigger jumps. Just wondering why the hate?
Solidkm
10/9/2021 8:55pm
Shawnh wrote:
Solidkm, do you ever actually ride the pro track at IMI on the weekend? I really don't understand your streetbike comment for the MX track? IMI...
Solidkm, do you ever actually ride the pro track at IMI on the weekend? I really don't understand your streetbike comment for the MX track? IMI prep is everybit as good as Aztec and has bigger jumps. Just wondering why the hate?
You are right, and no hate. I haven't been to IMI on a weekend in probably 18 months or more. I went in December of 20.... it was so windy ( not IMI's fault ) that I pouted like a school girl after spilling her Starbucks in my truck. Actually unloaded my bike for someone else to try and I never rode.

I have gone on a few weekdays...and have been wildly disappointed. I understand its a weekday but the MX track was treacherously hard and sunbaked from the weekend. This was a Thursday, I believe. It was unridable and I am not being dramatic. I heard that they have a tremendous outstanding water bill from the city/county and I would only assume that equates to less grooming. But you are correct, I haven't been there recently to have a updated opinion.

I would, however, check the weather for wind, and that is true of all of these tracks in eastern Colorado

Post a reply to: Colorado Springs Area for a week-Tracks to Practice?

The Latest