College Motox Teams

hvaughn88
1/12/2017 10:43am
Keep in mind the thread was bumped from way back
davistld01
1/12/2017 10:47am
If I'm not terribly mistaken, Blake Wharton is doing something along the lines of a College Moto Team or Club a University of North Texas in Denton, TX where he's going to school now.
MotoStuffGuy
Fantasy
3984th
1/12/2017 10:53am
It has been done at a high school level in the past in Southern California !! If you haven't already google it seems like it was pretty cool.

If manufactures and sponsors got behind this as hard as they do paying Lil Johnny jumper that "might" be the next big thing a 6 figure income at 10 years old (I'm not bashing that these lil dudes get payed it's awesome for them and there family) I'm just saying it would be cool to see something happen. keep kids in school rather than out on homeschool programs to chase there moto dreams. And maybe you get a ride for college MX or you go straight to SX/ MX. Probably a dream but it would be awesome!

This picture is just one of the many highschools around me and there is no lack of space for a moto track but that's my moto maniac opinion
1/12/2017 11:28am
If they could tie it into an engineering program that would be interesting. The OEMs would probably be willing to fund a few programs and set up their schools of choice with what components or design features the want the students to design and a bet a few novel ideas would pop up.

When you crowdsource an engineering problem to a bunch of ambitious students, there is a lot of potential gain for relatively little investment.

In terms of the riders, I have no idea, but isn't Cody Webb graduating soon with his mechanical engineering degree? Maybe some diamonds in the rough to find in terms of riders.

The Shop

dmm698
1/12/2017 11:43am
If they could tie it into an engineering program that would be interesting. The OEMs would probably be willing to fund a few programs and set...
If they could tie it into an engineering program that would be interesting. The OEMs would probably be willing to fund a few programs and set up their schools of choice with what components or design features the want the students to design and a bet a few novel ideas would pop up.

When you crowdsource an engineering problem to a bunch of ambitious students, there is a lot of potential gain for relatively little investment.

In terms of the riders, I have no idea, but isn't Cody Webb graduating soon with his mechanical engineering degree? Maybe some diamonds in the rough to find in terms of riders.
Look up SAE clean snowmobile challenge. Kind of simliar, OEM's lend quite a bit of information to teams and are willing to provide some parts. From somebody with a bachelors in ME, I dont think anybody could devote the time to motocross while obtaining that degree. I rode maybe 5 times throughout each school year, summer yes, during semesters no. Top that with 40+ hours a week on an SAE team, theres no time.
Dtat720
1/12/2017 11:44am
If they could tie it into an engineering program that would be interesting. The OEMs would probably be willing to fund a few programs and set...

Pretty sure you are thinking of Josh Cartwright, and Im pretty sure his dad posted about him a few posts back. Josh is attending Florida State. All around awesome kid, on and off the bike.
1/12/2017 12:49pm Edited Date/Time 1/12/2017 12:50pm

Dtat720 wrote:
Pretty sure you are thinking of Josh Cartwright, and Im pretty sure his dad posted about him a few posts back. Josh is attending Florida State...
Pretty sure you are thinking of Josh Cartwright, and Im pretty sure his dad posted about him a few posts back. Josh is attending Florida State. All around awesome kid, on and off the bike.
No, I was talking about Cody Webb, but I'm sure there are others like Cartwright as you mentioned.
Cody Webb: College Interview
JM485
1/12/2017 1:02pm
I would kill for this to actually become a thing, I've always thought it would be cool to be able to have racing at least somewhat connected to school. Too bad I'll be done by the time anything actually comes of this though.
JAC
1/12/2017 1:39pm
I think Cody Webb finally finished and received his Bachelor's Degree in ME from San Jose State University. As he mentioned in the above mentioned interview, it took him a while. I think he's 27 years old. It's an impressive accomplishment considering his training and travel schedule on top of a very tough field of study. Congrats to Cody!

I think the list of pro MX/SX racers enrolled in college is very short. There are a few MX/SX privateer racers that are in college, mostly taking online courses. I know John Short is enrolled taking online courses in Texas. I think Dustin Pipes takes online courses majoring in business finance and pre-law. As far as I know, Josh is the only pro currently attending a major university full-time.

roninho
1/12/2017 1:42pm

Just focus on the engineering part and forget about students racing.

New rulebook: Bikes have to be stock, no aftermarket products allowed. Teams can however modify the bikes with upgrades engineered by students (and only by students), with no limits to the modifications except for a maximum cost of materials.

Not going to happen but i would imagine you'd end up with some pretty exotic bikes. And bigger interest in mx.
Dtat720
1/12/2017 1:49pm

Dtat720 wrote:
Pretty sure you are thinking of Josh Cartwright, and Im pretty sure his dad posted about him a few posts back. Josh is attending Florida State...
No, I was talking about Cody Webb, but I'm sure there are others like Cartwright as you mentioned.
Cody Webb: College Interview
You did say Cody, my mind was reading Cooper. My bad lol. I didnt know that about Cody.
codyunlvmoto
3/18/2017 12:05am
Hello,

I am Cody Mao. I just recently stumbled across this forum post and saw that there were recent posts from January. I am the current President and Founder of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas Rebel MX Club. I am not sure how many members on here are university attending members that are current dirt bike riders but it would be awesome to see more motocrosss popping up at other Universities. Our dirt bike club was formed to grow the dirt bike riding community on our campus and to teach new members how to ride dirt bikes. We just recently got recognized by our university as a student organization and received 1000 dollars to buy a learner dirt bike to teach new members how to ride. We just put on our first Learn How to Ride Day where we taught three students at our campus who were brand new to riding how to ride a dirt bike. Check out the video we produced from the event at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKs7XlaKtMc.

We would love to help other riders across the nation to create dirt bike clubs at their universities. It would be awesome to put together a collegiate competition or even a collegiate ride dayseries where each university club puts on their own ride or race day and the other schools come to compete or ride. Two of our members also are mechanical engineers who are current members of SAE Baja and it would be great if we could get enough schools to start our own clean / innovative dirt bike competition through SAE.

Let us know what you guys think and give our facebook and instagram a look.
instagram: @unlvmoto
facebook.com/unlvrebelmx
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
3/18/2017 12:22pm Edited Date/Time 3/18/2017 12:28pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
Keep in mind the thread was bumped from way back
Glad you pointed that out. I hate when you post and realize a thread is ancient.

Having said that, it could be a club team. Club teams exist in all types of scenarios from fishing to rugby, etc. I went to a top ten profitable university, and if you werent one of the "big" sports then the best you could ever hope for when adding a new sport, is club status. Club teams are small and money losing propositions, or they would be considered. Very little interest equals very little money, which leads to very little interest in outside company financial support. It doesnt mean they cant be fun and cool though!
deluxeman
3/18/2017 2:34pm
Lots of schools have Bass Fishing teams. It may not be considered an official sponsored school sport but they do use the school mame and mascot. I think it would be awesome but it is such an expensive sport unless the OEMs get involved. Could you imagine the rivalry if Michigan and Ohio State had college SX teams sponsored by two competing OEM's that could be epic........ You could fill the big house with dirt and seat 120,000 spectators!!!!
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
3/18/2017 3:10pm
deluxeman wrote:
Lots of schools have Bass Fishing teams. It may not be considered an official sponsored school sport but they do use the school mame and mascot...
Lots of schools have Bass Fishing teams. It may not be considered an official sponsored school sport but they do use the school mame and mascot. I think it would be awesome but it is such an expensive sport unless the OEMs get involved. Could you imagine the rivalry if Michigan and Ohio State had college SX teams sponsored by two competing OEM's that could be epic........ You could fill the big house with dirt and seat 120,000 spectators!!!!
If you had say, the 250 class, attach itself and identify to major universities, you could potentially get a big fan base. Do everything as normal, just associate them name wise. Collegiate fans can be fanatical about any sport associated to their favorite schools. Especially, big rival schools, where they would rub in an under water basket weaving victory!
Dtat720
3/18/2017 3:14pm Edited Date/Time 3/18/2017 3:15pm
deluxeman wrote:
Lots of schools have Bass Fishing teams. It may not be considered an official sponsored school sport but they do use the school mame and mascot...
kzizok wrote:
If you had say, the 250 class, attach itself and identify to major universities, you could potentially get a big fan base. Do everything as normal...
If you had say, the 250 class, attach itself and identify to major universities, you could potentially get a big fan base. Do everything as normal, just associate them name wise. Collegiate fans can be fanatical about any sport associated to their favorite schools. Especially, big rival schools, where they would rub in an under water basket weaving victory!
Heck yeah. Auburn University has War Eagle MX Park less than 5 miles from the heart of the campus.

For fishing, my son is on the accepted list for Mississippi States Bass team. He doesnt graduate for another year but he can pull a bass out of a ditch it seems like
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
3/18/2017 3:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/18/2017 3:30pm
It has been done at a high school level in the past in Southern California !! If you haven't already google it seems like it was...
It has been done at a high school level in the past in Southern California !! If you haven't already google it seems like it was pretty cool.

If manufactures and sponsors got behind this as hard as they do paying Lil Johnny jumper that "might" be the next big thing a 6 figure income at 10 years old (I'm not bashing that these lil dudes get payed it's awesome for them and there family) I'm just saying it would be cool to see something happen. keep kids in school rather than out on homeschool programs to chase there moto dreams. And maybe you get a ride for college MX or you go straight to SX/ MX. Probably a dream but it would be awesome!

This picture is just one of the many highschools around me and there is no lack of space for a moto track but that's my moto maniac opinion
They ran races at my high school back in the late 70's. I missed it by a couple years, but I did win the BMX races at my Jr High School. We had 3 Jr High Schools in our area and each had their own track on campus. After we all finished our races, we had a 3 school race-off at the best track, which was voted on by all racers. Wish I could've caught the Motorcycle race instead, but I was a couple years too young.

Here's a video I found from one of the races. Pretty crappy quality for today's standards, but it's cool to see the football practice field getting torn up. Lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FnGTPtiMcZo&feature=youtu.be
codyunlvmoto
3/18/2017 3:57pm
Are any of the members on here current dirt bike riders and students? We would love to help them get clubs going on their campuses if they are.
APLMAN99
3/18/2017 4:37pm
The notion of MX/SX as a varsity sport is a pipe dream. Title IX alone pretty much ensures that. Schools would probably bring back wrestling in a big way first.

Club sport maybe........
APLMAN99
3/18/2017 5:06pm
Dtat720 wrote:
There are currently 27 schools offering full scholarships for BMX racing. There is a collegiate national championship series as well. Several schools have built BMX tracks...
There are currently 27 schools offering full scholarships for BMX racing. There is a collegiate national championship series as well. Several schools have built BMX tracks on campus, others work with local tracks. Moto could happen, just takes 1 school to get on board and others will join. Its a way for schools to get exposure and recruit outside of the normal avenues.
Which schools are offering full scholarships? Even most D1 NCAA schools only offer full scholarships for 3 sports; Football, Men's Basketball, and Women's basketball. The vast majority of scholarships in every other sport are partial, not full. For example, D1 baseball programs are only able to give the equivalent of 11.7 full baseball scholarships, despite having far more scholarship athletes on their roster. Most scholarships range from .25 to .75 in sports outside of the "big three".
305FC250
3/18/2017 5:50pm
shuggs wrote:
Could it not also incorporate some kind of mechanics into a course, maybe a stepping stone into MMI
MMI is a joke and a waste of tens of thousands of dollars for an "education" that prepares you to be nothing but a lube tech. On the other hand it would be great to see more real colleges with successful automotive/diesel/marine programs offer motorcycle programs as they are almost non-existent.

Post a reply to: College Motox Teams

The Latest