Collarbone recovery

chaseNCMX
Edited Date/Time 10/25/2018 6:18pm
Broke my collar bone a week and a half ago and just had surgery on Monday. I'm a pretty active guy. I workout 4-5 days a week and usually ride once a week. All that has come to a halt obviously but I'm curious as to how long you guys think it'll be till I can bench/deadlift/squat etc. The gym is basically my pride and joy during the week and it sucks to be so stagnant. Also, any tips or advice for a successful recovery? Thanks!
|
Forty
10/24/2018 4:36pm
Just a break? Plate? 3 weeks.
10/24/2018 4:37pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2018 4:38pm
I can't speak for a broken collar bone, but I separated my shoulder about 2-3 months ago. I've done all of the physical therapy I was told to do and I still feel a little pain on bench and other exercises that involve my shoulder at all. I have done quite a few shoulder injuries across football and motocross, but they always have had good recovery until this one. Hopefully you will be able to be back at it in a couple weeks. I hope this helped and prayers for a speedy recovery!
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/24/2018 4:37pm
From a guy who broke his right collarbone seven times...

Listen to your doc as far as what you should do...or not do. (I didn't opt for surgery...and actually quit going to the doctors after the third one).

Let it heal completely.

Use the break as a time to heal up and come back stronger...which you will.
Justin345
10/24/2018 4:43pm
It all depends on where the break was. Closer to the center of the chest? Plate should hold it pretty well for a quick recovery. I snapped mine next to the shoulder socket where there is a lot of tension on the bone. I had a plate and 8 screws put in almost exactly a year ago. It’s just now to the point where I can throw a ball again. It took forever for the range of motion to come back since I couldn’t move the arm much for a while because of where the break was.

The Shop

Forty
10/24/2018 5:21pm
Yikes
Trig331
10/24/2018 5:22pm
Depends on the break, how fast you heal, etc, but listen to the Dr. for the general guidelines and just how you feel. After getting mine plated, I started working on range of motion and strength in a pool at about 4 weeks, was back riding at 7 weeks. Probably could have gone a little quicker, but wasn’t in a rush. You’ll be back to normal pretty quick...
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
10/24/2018 5:34pm
GuyB wrote:
From a guy who broke his right collarbone seven times... Listen to your doc as far as what you should do...or not do. (I didn't opt...

Listen to your doc as far as what you should do...or not do. (I didn't opt for surgery...and actually quit going to the doctors after the third one).

Let it heal completely.

I’ve broken mine 5 times, listen to what Guy said. Let it heal completely before you head off to the gym. No need to start bench pressing Buick’s anytime soon, take it easy......
chaseNCMX
10/24/2018 6:04pm
Appreciate all the replies. How long did you guys wear the sling for? Asking specifically for the guys that have had theirs plated.
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2582nd
10/24/2018 6:13pm
take it easy on the collar bone mate,
i got the same injury about a 2 years ago due to getting cross rutted on a step down.. ( wasn't fun)

But let it heal completely before back in action, take calcium tablets to help the bones repair due to the screws and plates. Good diet and keep the training in the gym to light stuff.
Biggest thing dude is colder weather... you can feel the cold air going through to the plate... causes some serious uncomfort hahaha.

Id be shooting for the 5-6 weeks mark,

Best of luck.

ge217
10/24/2018 7:12pm
GuyB wrote:
From a guy who broke his right collarbone seven times... Listen to your doc as far as what you should do...or not do. (I didn't opt...

Let it heal completely.

dadofagun wrote:
I’ve broken mine 5 times, listen to what Guy said. Let it heal completely before you head off to the gym. No need to start bench...
I’ve broken mine 5 times, listen to what Guy said. Let it heal completely before you head off to the gym. No need to start bench pressing Buick’s anytime soon, take it easy......
X3
Fog 25
Fantasy
1312th
10/24/2018 8:29pm
Broke mine back in February. Doctor wants to remove the plate this December because he doesn’t want it to break closer to the sternum if I Fall on it again. Just listened to the doctor.
kb228
10/24/2018 9:12pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2018 9:14pm
I broke mine 5 weeks ago and had/have full flexibility and usage out of it with zero pain after surgery. Plate and 7 screws. Still healing but the second i woke up from surgery i forgot it was broke and still do. My surgeon told me to use my arm like normal as long as im not lifting much weight. I was never given a sling either. My occupational therapist gave me some resistance bands and some exercises to do. I guess do those when youre allowed to.
captmoto
10/24/2018 9:19pm
Should have asked the guy that did the plate before you left the hospital.
10/24/2018 10:02pm
Damn dude we must have both broken ours the same weekend. Mines pretty jacked but I'm going the no surgery route

Just wanted to say hope your recovery goes well, this definitely freakin sucks man
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2888th
10/24/2018 11:42pm
I’d be curious to know how many people HAVEN’T broke a collarbone.
Double
10/25/2018 2:22am
I have broken my left side 5 times and my right side 6 times, they are both plated now. Every time I had them plated I'd be back on the bike in 2 - 3 weeks, but free weights at the gym was 4 - 5 weeks, barbell squats I was doing them pretty much straight away, but I still find it hurts to do front barbell squats.
mx_phreek
Fantasy
230th
10/25/2018 3:27am
GuyB wrote:

Let it heal completely.

Yep let it heal properly. There's no way you should be doing dead lifts of any real weight(heavy) I'd say for 8 weeks to be safe. Light weights maybe sooner but I'd follow doctors recommendations to the letter. Don't rush back, trust me as someone who thought his collarbone was healed up only for it to break apart again and have to start all over again from scratch. If you're bored go cycling or something.
10/25/2018 3:38am
4 times and counting, natural recovery give it 6 weeks before much movement and I would say 8 before going heavy in the gym. Found the section with the plate is stronger than the rest of the bone afterwards
Fog 25
Fantasy
1312th
10/25/2018 9:19am
Dirtydeeds wrote:
I went 49 years of riding before I broke mine. Was shooting for 50 I guess I’ll have to start the calendar over again ?
cameron96
10/25/2018 9:44am
Broke both mine and got both plated. First one took a while and was 7 weeks before I could ride or gym

2nd one was quick. 3 weeks riding a bit. Gym after 5 weeks

Be prepared to be sore after the gym for a while tho
MotoCoUSA
10/25/2018 9:59am
Physical therapy really helped me get back to riding, after plated and screwed I did a desert race about 6 weeks after. Wasn't 100% but didn't bother me at all. Fast forward to about 9 years later and certain things still hurt like push ups, pull ups, bench, but not to where I cant do them. Just need to ease in to it.
NHtoWA421
10/25/2018 1:27pm
Broke mine mid June. It was so badly broken that they couldn't plate it. They had to pull the pieces out and string them together like a macaroni necklace on a rod. I was out of the sling in 5 weeks, and back on the bike in 8. (Technically all cleared, with no need for PT at 6 weeks) but it took 2 weeks for everything to feel right enough to safely ride.
aees
10/25/2018 1:36pm
I raced 6 weeks after I broke it (plated). 10 weeks I felt nothing of it. Scared to death first time I had a tipover ?

Herlings raced GP as good as normal, was it 10 days after his plating?

Heavy gym I would wait a bit more. There are soft tissue to heal also.
10/25/2018 2:11pm Edited Date/Time 10/25/2018 2:11pm
Broke my right at 15. Got a plate and 6 screws. Was water skiing Three weeks after surgery. Racing 5.

Broke my left at 28. Got a plate and 8 screws. Was effed up for 3 months. Couldn’t do shit. Took it easy. Only
Lifted a cup of coffee as doc told me too. Did aggressive physical therapy for a month Now back to 100%. Amazing how I bounce back so fast at 15 compared to 28 years old.

I was riding my road bike after 4 weeks. Provably shouldn’t of been but I needed to do something. Now I can just predict when it’s gonna rain even better than I could with just one broken collarbone.
captmoto
10/25/2018 2:15pm
Dirtydeeds wrote:
None for me, 61 years old, first bike in 1972. I have hit the ground hard and plenty of times I'm surprised I haven't broken one. I did have a low grade separation that left my left side a little lumpier than the right.
10/25/2018 2:21pm
Separation and collarbone are two different evils. Collarbone is easy to recover from unless your shoulder freezes up. then it sucks.
usafwx
10/25/2018 2:22pm
Dirtydeeds wrote:
I haven't. But have seperated my left shoulder, ruptured my spleen, lacerated a kidney, fractured 2 ribs, partially tore every ligament in my right knee and am missing my PCL in the left. Lol.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
10/25/2018 2:22pm
Pretty much powdered my left one about 10 years ago. Plated what was left, and something went wrong- plate was bent. Second surgery with a 6" was successful, but the whole ordeal had me off work for five months!

To this day it hurts a bit when putting even mild pressure on it. I'm active in judo, and that area is the standard grip for my opponents. Frustrating.
captmoto
10/25/2018 3:34pm
Broke my right at 15. Got a plate and 6 screws. Was water skiing Three weeks after surgery. Racing 5. Broke my left at 28. Got...
Broke my right at 15. Got a plate and 6 screws. Was water skiing Three weeks after surgery. Racing 5.

Broke my left at 28. Got a plate and 8 screws. Was effed up for 3 months. Couldn’t do shit. Took it easy. Only
Lifted a cup of coffee as doc told me too. Did aggressive physical therapy for a month Now back to 100%. Amazing how I bounce back so fast at 15 compared to 28 years old.

I was riding my road bike after 4 weeks. Provably shouldn’t of been but I needed to do something. Now I can just predict when it’s gonna rain even better than I could with just one broken collarbone.
I think it's just going to be different each time, even if you did them a year apart. I know a guy that had both knees replaced a year apart. The first one was a piece of cake for him. The second one was a 3 month hell and a year to feel really good. Same body, doc, hospital, procedure. You just don't know with the human body.

Post a reply to: Collarbone recovery

The Latest