Coasting in corners

Related:
Create New Tag

7/6/2017 7:05 PM

Hey everyone, I've been practicing more and more lately but I find myself letting off the gas early and braking early. The problem is I feel like I'm wayyy too early on the brakes, anybody know any ways i can break that habit?

|

7/6/2017 7:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/6/2017 7:16 PM

Set up a tire to mark your corner and have a friend put a stick or marker where you brake at. Move the stick closer and closer to the corner and do not let off until the stick, while trying to take the corner as smooth as possible. Stay standing up all the way into the corner and do not sit until you are getting back on the gas, at which point you'll sit and accelerate in one fluid motion. It's easy to want to be on or off, but the key is throttle control, even if that means only being 1/4 throttle through some of the turn.

Elbows up.

|

7/6/2017 7:12 PM

The above sounds like good advice. Also, practice braking in a straight line (no corner) to get a feel for how hard you can brake and how fast you're able to slow down. Once you have a feel for this, judging the point where to do this on the track entering a corner will become easier.

|

7/6/2017 7:20 PM

dont be a puss, just nail it

like the guy from the train jump video

|

7/6/2017 7:21 PM

Take your rear brake pedal off like Alex Martin does.

|

7/6/2017 7:29 PM

RickA wrote:

Take your rear brake pedal off like Alex Martin does.

Winner ...

|

7/6/2017 7:32 PM

Get a 83 Maico 490 with drum brakes, that way you can be on the brakes all you want, you'll learn brakes are overrated and unnecessary and you'll soon be "King of Corners"or wake up in ambulances alot

|

If you don't crash alot you just ain't going fast enough, Danny

7/6/2017 7:53 PM

Yep wrote:

Get a 83 Maico 490 with drum brakes, that way you can be on the brakes all you want, you'll learn brakes are overrated and unnecessary and you'll soon be "King of Corners"or wake up in ambulances alot

I laughed and snorted: the infamous "Yama-fix".

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

7/6/2017 8:13 PM

Photo

|

I was G before the "moto drive" to Vital

7/6/2017 8:17 PM

coasting = pussy, always gas in, brake harder, gas out....sooner

|

I was G before the "moto drive" to Vital

Yep wrote:

On the plus side you will get to meet a lot of nurses.

|

Just coast through the corner... I need to keep my dope 10% off FMF sponsorship tongue

|

7/6/2017 9:08 PM

Well according to Doug you should be coasting in.

|

"Who cares about what other people think"

7/6/2017 9:15 PM

Ransom_Bennett wrote:

Set up a tire to mark your corner and have a friend put a stick or marker where you brake at. Move the stick closer and closer to the corner and do not let off until the stick, while trying to take the corner as smooth as possible. Stay standing up all the way into the corner and do not sit until you are getting back on the gas, at which point you'll sit and accelerate in one fluid motion. It's easy to want to be on or off, but the key is throttle control, even if that means only being 1/4 throttle through some of the turn.

Elbows up.

Ya, what he said. Make sure to be smooth.

|

7/6/2017 9:37 PM

Yep wrote:

Hut wrote:

On the plus side you will get to meet a lot of nurses.

Funny you said that, I'm married to a nurse I met in the emergency room, small accident that left no permanent noticeable disfigurement, lost my brake rod (yes young ones, a metal rod) on the opening lap, best race I ever rode after that, then I woke up and saw that angel nurse face, the rest is history
Photo

|

If you don't crash alot you just ain't going fast enough, Danny

7/6/2017 10:16 PM

Hannah... "Go in deeper, come out harder"

Photo

|

7/6/2017 10:37 PM

wildbill wrote:

Hannah... "Go in deeper, come out harder"

Photo

HOF post right there fellas.

|

7/6/2017 11:03 PM

Run it in wayyyyy too deep, then let the talent take over.

|

7/7/2017 1:56 AM

flat field, practice the hardest braking possible. then apply to a course

|

7/7/2017 2:50 AM

take the brakes off your bike. Ezpz.

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

7/7/2017 3:25 AM

Yep wrote:

Funny you said that, I'm married to a nurse I met in the emergency room, small accident that left no permanent noticeable disfigurement, lost my brake rod (yes young ones, a metal rod) on the opening lap, best race I ever rode after that, then I woke up and saw that angel nurse face, the rest is history
Photo

What a great story!

|

KX125

7/7/2017 3:30 AM

I only use my breaks on hills.

|

7/7/2017 4:13 AM

Ransom_Bennett wrote:

Elbows up.

This is all you need to know in one post. If you can afford it, get a 125 smoker. Nothing teaches you carrying the speed into the corners like a 125.

|

7/7/2017 4:32 AM

GIwasB4 wrote:

coasting through corners seemed to work great for dungey , CP 377 etc

|

7/7/2017 4:49 AM

Set up an oval track with straightaways maybe 100' long, just enough to be in third lugging or second revving. Then just do laps one way for five minutes, and then the other, always trying to pick up the pace. You need to get your brain used to what kind of speed is possible for you, and with practice this will make anyone faster into, through and out of corners.

|

7/7/2017 5:11 AM

brimx153 wrote:

They didn't coast through corners, they menaged the throttle. Coasting means rolling without using power.

|

7/7/2017 5:19 AM

GIwasB4 wrote:

brimx153 wrote:

Turbojez wrote:

They didn't coast through corners, they menaged the throttle. Coasting means rolling without using power.

|

7/7/2017 5:23 AM

brimx153 wrote:

Turbojez wrote:

brimx153 wrote:

Ryno teaches the same

|

7/7/2017 5:29 AM

brimx153 wrote:

Turbojez wrote:

brimx153 wrote:

"Very softly, constant power", carrying momentum, not coasting. Even slightly opening the throttle means he's not coasting. He also said not to use the clutch on the 4 stroke.

|

7/7/2017 5:50 AM

YZfan1230 wrote:

Hey everyone, I've been practicing more and more lately but I find myself letting off the gas early and braking early. The problem is I feel like I'm wayyy too early on the brakes, anybody know any ways i can break that habit?

Stay on the gas longer!

Either on the gas or on the brakes, no coasting.

|