C'mon forum users, you are better than that

You know, there are sometimes on Vital that I question who really has a heart and passion for this sport, and if they even know what the word respect means. I feel like I should be surprised to see jokes like the memes about Roczen that I have on Vital after a rider has such a serious and potentially career altering crash like Kenny did, but the sad thing is, I'm not. And neither are the majority of posters on here. I thought about comparing the craziness and lack of sensitivity to Planet of the Apes, but then I realized, even apes aren't that stupid and heartless. For all of you out there who find it funny to laugh and joke about a crash that could have easily caused much more life altering damage to a rider, let's take a moment to realize something.

These guys lay it all on the line. They line up every Saturday night with the goal of capturing a win, and if not, a solid podium. They get paid based off of their results. They get judged by their sponsors and contract holders for their each and every decision, both under the lights of the track and off. When a title is on the line, things get crazy. Crashes happen, and mistakes are made. Unfortunately, Kenny had one of the hardest and scariest crashes we've witnessed in Supercross in a long, long time. It shocked everyone, and definitely gave a wake up call to many that things like this can happen to anyone. Now, when one sees him laying there on the ground holding his arm in a tremendous amount of pain, and having zero knowledge of just how injured he truly is, who sits there and thinks, "Hey, I could get on Vital tonight and make a shitty meme about it! Maybe I'll get some attention there!" Really? Unbelievable. Not only is it not funny, or just in poor taste, but it serves as a major sign of disrespect to any of the riders who read this forum. On top of that, it is just flat out beyond embarrassing.....

This sport is a beautiful and wonderful thing that has served as the greatest passion in my life so far, much like it has with almost everybody on this forum, and I love Vital and all the awesome things that come out of it, from the forums to the featured updates. But seriously, when it comes to posting, some people just don't have even the slightest bit of compassion or care about how incredibly rude they are, and I know for a fact that many of those reading this will agree simply due to the amount of negative feedback these memes and jokes have received.

C'mon, guys, you're better than that. It isn't cool, and sure as hell isn't necessary. Again, this isn't the majority of this forum. It's for those who aren't willing to control themselves and refrain from being rude, careless, and downright inconsiderate. This isn't a thread to start any sort of conflict, nor is it meant to spark any arguments. It is simply shedding light on an issue that should and can easily be avoided. As for Roczen, I pray that he has a very healthy and speedy recovery, and hope to see him racing as soon as possible.
|
Moto810
1/22/2017 5:59pm
Yeah many of us know what your talking about. I hate to see any rider hurt and would never make jokes about such an issue. I come on this forum mostly because to voice my opinions about the sport in hopes that the sport will improve and reverse its decline. We are all in this together!
hillbilly
1/22/2017 6:26pm
We have a long long way to go before the rock bottom of antisocial media is reached.
captmoto
1/22/2017 6:28pm
Oh Puleeze!! Why do you think they call them Vitards?
mx836
1/22/2017 6:30pm
I honestly think that posters who constantly bash a rider or all riders should be banned from the site. It is just negativity that leads to more negativity. Criticizing a rider is one thing, but being a straight up "hater" in threads, trolling riders, should not be tolerated.

The Shop

kkawboy14
1/22/2017 6:38pm
That crash makes me sick to my stomach. Nothing funny about it!
Moto810
1/22/2017 6:39pm
mx836 wrote:
I honestly think that posters who constantly bash a rider or all riders should be banned from the site. It is just negativity that leads to...
I honestly think that posters who constantly bash a rider or all riders should be banned from the site. It is just negativity that leads to more negativity. Criticizing a rider is one thing, but being a straight up "hater" in threads, trolling riders, should not be tolerated.
I just can't see how people hate riders. I don't love any of the riders or hate any of the riders. I simply love the sport of motocross. It worries me when I see some people who are either to big a fan of one rider or a hater of another rider. I wish they would put that passion into helping the sport or in their local riding scene.
mc795
1/22/2017 6:40pm
mx836 wrote:
I honestly think that posters who constantly bash a rider or all riders should be banned from the site. It is just negativity that leads to...
Couldn't agree more with you and this thread. I was truly disappointed in our vital community last night. Makes me wish we had a better system to our forum. Personally I think if we moved this forum to Reddit everyone would like it better with there systems. Have s few move moderators not that ours are bad but we need more sensible people on this site. Plus on Reddit we can get a bot to moderate posts before hand. And we'll have the upvote and down vote system.

Wishing Kenny a quick and full recovery. Can't feel bad enough for the guy.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
1/22/2017 6:41pm
Poor parenting, anonymity and unhappiness.

Thankfully there are still many true fans without those issues.
mx836
1/22/2017 6:43pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
I was concerned that Roczen was going to have life altering injuries. To think that these people are puffing their chests saying "I told you so" about him caving under pressure, making jokes about 4arm strong, the memes, it really is unfathomable. Some sad people out there.
mx836
1/22/2017 6:51pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2017 6:53pm
mx836 wrote:
Moto810 wrote:
I just can't see how people hate riders. I don't love any of the riders or hate any of the riders. I simply love the sport...
I just can't see how people hate riders. I don't love any of the riders or hate any of the riders. I simply love the sport of motocross. It worries me when I see some people who are either to big a fan of one rider or a hater of another rider. I wish they would put that passion into helping the sport or in their local riding scene.
Totally agree man. I know people give me a lot of crap on here for my harsh opinion sometimes. Really, I just can't stand people constantly disrespecting the riders so I lash out at those people, not the riders. It's not my place to police anything, but these people who are total haters or fanboys have no place in an unbiased discussion. They really have nothing to provide since we all know how they feel already. Funny that a particular poster claims me and everybody who doesn't hate Stewart is a fanboy. Well, he's wrong, obviously. I only respond to him because he is a loud mouth shit talker. I respect Stewart and am a fan of anybody who doesn't give me a reason not to be.
brocster
1/22/2017 6:54pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:
Poor parenting, anonymity and unhappiness.

Thankfully there are still many true fans without those issues.
This^^^ and its sad that they want all in their misery
1/22/2017 6:55pm
The second that camera angle came on where you saw Kenny flying towards the camera man, I felt so bad for Kenny. I've broken my leg crashing my mountain bike on some dirt jumps before, and that was a much slower / smaller crash than Kenny just had.

People just have to show why the Vitard meme exists though...
kiwifan
1/22/2017 6:59pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2017 7:05pm
mx836 wrote:
I actually quite like that idea, but then you will get people moaning about freedom of speech and all that bullshit.

oh and OP is right on point, well said.
1/22/2017 7:04pm
OP's words border on eloquent. Agree 100% and more. I'm not much of a KR fan but I felt very badly for him because regardless of any thing else he is one flat out bad ass that OWNS the MX/SX track. Sure I'd rather see my guy win, but for crying out loud, give the guy the props he has earned and deserves.
kkawboy14
1/22/2017 7:06pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
mx836 wrote:
I was concerned that Roczen was going to have life altering injuries. To think that these people are puffing their chests saying "I told you so"...
I was concerned that Roczen was going to have life altering injuries. To think that these people are puffing their chests saying "I told you so" about him caving under pressure, making jokes about 4arm strong, the memes, it really is unfathomable. Some sad people out there.
Me too. I think if your a mxer that has had some bad crashes yourself you understand more what he's about to go thru.

I have a feeling some of these guys have no idea.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
1/22/2017 7:08pm
Totally agreed. I have to wonder if any of these smack talking rider-haters even ride themselves. Because if you ride yourself with any level of seriousness at all, you at least have a grasp on what the guys at the top level go through and that alone would cause you to have at least a nominal level of respect.

The main event was barely over and people were already making dumbass posts questioning Roczen's smarts as a rider and saying the crash was due to his cockiness, overconfidence, etc.

People here need to learn to keep their idiotic internet shenanigans to FB, instacrap, youtube comments and wherever the other soulless trolls live.

I have a suggestion on how to police this. Add a like/dislike button for each post like other forums have. You get enough dislikes and you're suspended or kicked off, whatever the criteria may be.
JM485
1/22/2017 7:10pm
We need a separate forum section open only to people who actually race/ride or have raced/ridden, I have a feeling that would cut out a lot of the bs pretty quickly.
kiwifan
1/22/2017 7:11pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Me too. I think if your a mxer that has had some bad crashes yourself you understand more what he's about to go thru. I have...
Me too. I think if your a mxer that has had some bad crashes yourself you understand more what he's about to go thru.

^^ this !!!! No matter what your riding ability.... fun, amateur, pro, whatever there is always some big crashes...hell i had a bike come down after me after bucking me off and the end of the handlebar hit my lower body and severed the ureter to my right kidney, luckily they could patch it up...good as new now tho....it scares the shit out of you at the time not to mention of rehab hassles!!!!
kiwifan
1/22/2017 7:13pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2017 7:13pm
FGR01 wrote:
Totally agreed. I have to wonder if any of these smack talking rider-haters even ride themselves. Because if you ride yourself with any level of seriousness...
Totally agreed. I have to wonder if any of these smack talking rider-haters even ride themselves. Because if you ride yourself with any level of seriousness at all, you at least have a grasp on what the guys at the top level go through and that alone would cause you to have at least a nominal level of respect.

The main event was barely over and people were already making dumbass posts questioning Roczen's smarts as a rider and saying the crash was due to his cockiness, overconfidence, etc.

People here need to learn to keep their idiotic internet shenanigans to FB, instacrap, youtube comments and wherever the other soulless trolls live.

I have a suggestion on how to police this. Add a like/dislike button for each post like other forums have. You get enough dislikes and you're suspended or kicked off, whatever the criteria may be.
Nice idea!!! But could easily be abused Sad
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
1/22/2017 7:19pm
FGR01 wrote:
Totally agreed. I have to wonder if any of these smack talking rider-haters even ride themselves. Because if you ride yourself with any level of seriousness...

kiwifan wrote:
OK, make it where each user only has 5 "dislikes" per day, or whatever is determined to be sufficient yet still prevent abuse. Or we keep going the way it is with people just spewing disrespectful nonsense.
mx836
1/22/2017 7:21pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Me too. I think if your a mxer that has had some bad crashes yourself you understand more what he's about to go thru. I have...

Makes a lot of sense. I cringe when I see somebody crash and a lot of people cheer. I seriously get a weird tingling sensation inside of me when I see a nasty crash. Guess we just have to accept that there is a lot of nasty, ignorant, people out there and ignore them! Easier said than done.
mx836
1/22/2017 7:22pm
FGR01 wrote:
OK, make it where each user only has 5 "dislikes" per day, or whatever is determined to be sufficient yet still prevent abuse. Or we keep...
OK, make it where each user only has 5 "dislikes" per day, or whatever is determined to be sufficient yet still prevent abuse. Or we keep going the way it is with people just spewing disrespectful nonsense.
Awesome idea!
kiwifan
1/22/2017 7:29pm
FGR01 wrote:

kiwifan wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
OK, make it where each user only has 5 "dislikes" per day, or whatever is determined to be sufficient yet still prevent abuse. Or we keep...
sounds good to me
1/22/2017 7:30pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2017 7:30pm
although what happened really sucks, let's put it this way: had it been humble dungey, there would be no memes.
1/22/2017 7:43pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2017 7:48pm
Guys, I agree with everything in this thread, people need to respect the riders more... but PLEASE DO NOT ADD A LIKE BUTTON.

Possibly the WORST thing you can do to any online community.

Please. No like button. If you like someone's post, quote it and tell them. All like buttons do is force groupthink and herd mentality.
vetmxr
1/22/2017 7:57pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2017 8:03pm
Man, I love our Pros........we should all love them and wish them good health. These guys entertain us with their skill and speed, and drama so we can talk about them all till the next race....Its not good to cheer or puff up in any way about what happened to Kenny last night.

A fellow moto man in arms (whom any of us would love to sit down and have a beer with) took a HUGE digger last night in the name of entertainment for the fans. When I went to bed last night I thought about the fact that Kenny was either in a lot of pain and anguish.....or was under the knife? Anyone's whom ever spent the night in a hospital after a huge crash knows what I mean......a lot of stuff goes through ones head....

I refuse to believe that anyone really takes any pleasure in saying "I told you so" after one of our own damn near ended his young life right in front of us last night????

I hope I'm not exaggerating ???
mx836
1/22/2017 8:02pm
vetmxr wrote:
Man, I love our Pros........we should all love them and wish them good health. These guys entertain us with their skill and speed, and drama so...
Man, I love our Pros........we should all love them and wish them good health. These guys entertain us with their skill and speed, and drama so we can talk about them all till the next race....Its not good to cheer or puff up in any way about what happened to Kenny last night.

A fellow moto man in arms (whom any of us would love to sit down and have a beer with) took a HUGE digger last night in the name of entertainment for the fans. When I went to bed last night I thought about the fact that Kenny was either in a lot of pain and anguish.....or was under the knife? Anyone's whom ever spent the night in a hospital after a huge crash knows what I mean......a lot of stuff goes through ones head....

I refuse to believe that anyone really takes any pleasure in saying "I told you so" after one of our own damn near ended his young life right in front of us last night????

I hope I'm not exaggerating ???
You're not exaggerating. Like Kkawboy said, I think a lot of people just don't understand. The people making those comments are flash in the pan riders who come and go quickly or never rode with any skill at all. I'd like to hope so anyway. I look at it the same way you do, but my parents also raised me with some respect.
mxmasta
Fantasy
724th
1/22/2017 11:34pm
I normally don't post much on this site anymore, just because of things that the OP mentioned and all the foolishness that's going on on here. I visit VitalMX and the forum nearly every day for some relevant and good information, but oh well, that fact that nearly half of the threads on here go the "wrong direction" prevents me from posting much.

But I have to say, posts like the OPs one brings back some faith that there are still real fans of the sport on here, not just fanboys, chestpounders and haters. Thanks OP

Post a reply to: C'mon forum users, you are better than that

The Latest