Club MX being sued, could affect other tracks?

MudPup545
1/17/2019 5:23am
Bry145 wrote:
My reasoning is it would be more heartbreaking for a parent to lose a child if they only have one. If a parent has 5 kids...
My reasoning is it would be more heartbreaking for a parent to lose a child if they only have one. If a parent has 5 kids and one is lost due to a tragedy, I believe it wouldn't be as bad.

If a resource is scarce it becomes more valuable. That's just basic economics.

Good Lord, I can only imagine you at a funeral for a child.....

"Just think of all that coin you're saving! Besides, you have a couple of spares anyways!"

Do us all a favor, never produce offspring.
friday10
1/17/2019 5:38am
Tarz483 wrote:
After reading this it sounds like Glen helen is just an accident waiting to happen, dont they mix bike sizes and skill levels Daily.
There have been several deaths and serious injuries of this type at Glen Helen main track. No flaggers.
opyguy
1/17/2019 7:36am
In my opinion the tracks here in ca have taken that advise. Main Tracks like fox, perris, and milestone, have gotten easier and more options to...
In my opinion the tracks here in ca have taken that advise. Main Tracks like fox, perris, and milestone, have gotten easier and more options to double stuff instead of having to triple. Cahuilla has always been pretty easy .

yz133rider wrote:
Coastline your opinion of easy is vastly different than an actual begginner. Also tracks keep going more and more towards outdoor supercross tracks and less to...
Coastline your opinion of easy is vastly different than an actual begginner.

Also tracks keep going more and more towards outdoor supercross tracks and less to real outdoor moto.

Mammoth raceway is outdoor moto.turn jump turn jump jump jump jump turn etc is outdoor sx.
Indy mxer wrote:
Yes. You build a track for the masses, not the few. My favorite track, LTM in Casey IL is a good example of that. It was...
Yes. You build a track for the masses, not the few.
My favorite track, LTM in Casey IL is a good example of that.
It was originally built by Mark (bomber) Barnett. It's had a few mods over the years, but overall it's the same layout he designed.

I'm 61 and pretty quick for my age. lol
I can do everything on his track, just not as fast as the young guys. There's nothing sketchy and it works for pretty much all the riders.
And it shows. He regularly gets 400 plus riders at his races and his practice days get big turnouts too.

Most practice days he splits the sessions. But on the rare occasion he doesn't have a big turnout he won't. I just hope and pray he doesn't end up with a situation like Club MX.

At our track we're just not willing to roll the dice.
good example of this is Southwick...national track but believe it or not nothing sketchy at all, no doubles etc. and at practice days they definitely split classes.
brocster
1/17/2019 7:55am
Elitist? No. Fast enough would be one that is able to at least double everything and be able to hold a line. Also be aware of...
Elitist? No.
Fast enough would be one that is able to at least double everything and be able to hold a line. Also be aware of ones surroundings and able to see ahead. If you have to roll everything and can't understand don't be in the fast line. Don't be on the main track with 20 or 30 others guys having to dodge you. Wait till everyone leaves and 2 people are on the track if you want to check out the main.

Seriously are some of you guys that dense not to understand that?
kaptkaos wrote:
Each of your posts keeps getting down voted and the more you write the more the worse it gets. Clearly my wording was accurate as others...
Each of your posts keeps getting down voted and the more you write the more the worse it gets.

Clearly my wording was accurate as others were able to comprehend that it was the 'fast enough" attitude that needs to be eradicated. Then you only have the ME perspective. Never mind its not your track, never mind other people paid to share the same track, never mind that the entire world is not SoCal where there are 3 tracks at every facility and multiple facilities within a 1 hour drive. I would venture to say that most facilities around the US do not have a second track, maybe just a small turn track at most. You dont go from new mini rider on a turn track to being Coastlinecascot without some track time.

Please look outside your own little world and consider others for a moment. Its called "Being Mindful". Someones kid was just killed, a racing facility is facing serious litigation and all you can think about is you...get over yourself bud.

I don't care if I'm voted down. It's not a popularity contest. If you only have one track that your situation. To advocate all tracks some...
I don't care if I'm voted down. It's not a popularity contest.
If you only have one track that your situation. To advocate all tracks some with multiple options for all skill levels should have broken up sessions to me is nonsense. What I'm advocating is stay the f off the main when fast guys are on there if you are new. Common sense people
I come from an area where there has only been one track on the property of any location and they separate practice in 20 min sessions. Been doing this for 29 years and NO ONE has ever been killed by being jumped on.

Do you not take breaks while at the track? Time your breaks with the sessions. You know, common sense...

Take your elbow scrubs, and butwhips some other place PRO

The Shop

fourfourone
1/17/2019 8:16am
Let me ask this. I will say before this post I do encourage split motos on open practice days. Most places I ride do a small bike class. But its only split if its very busy that day. Doesn't matter to me much. I'm not very fast but I'm comfortable being on the track with a b or c riders.

Last year I was up at my favorite Big track In New Hampshire. Decent amount of riders but not enough to warrant split classes. Fine with me. Usually all the real fast guys are riding in somewhat of a pack so I wait and let them go by before I hop on the track. Less chance of them having to deal with passing me or me getting in the way.

Couple small bikes riding. Quick kids on 80s and such. Then theres one young kid on a klx110. The track has some good elevation change and he is struggling to make it up the steeper hills. Hes rolling the tables very slow etc....

At what point does someone say something? I have no issue with it, I was extra carefull when he was on the track but im sure not everyone is. Do you ask the kids father to not let him ride? Whats the best decision in this case?
yz133rider
1/17/2019 9:42am
Let me ask this. I will say before this post I do encourage split motos on open practice days. Most places I ride do a small...
Let me ask this. I will say before this post I do encourage split motos on open practice days. Most places I ride do a small bike class. But its only split if its very busy that day. Doesn't matter to me much. I'm not very fast but I'm comfortable being on the track with a b or c riders.

Last year I was up at my favorite Big track In New Hampshire. Decent amount of riders but not enough to warrant split classes. Fine with me. Usually all the real fast guys are riding in somewhat of a pack so I wait and let them go by before I hop on the track. Less chance of them having to deal with passing me or me getting in the way.

Couple small bikes riding. Quick kids on 80s and such. Then theres one young kid on a klx110. The track has some good elevation change and he is struggling to make it up the steeper hills. Hes rolling the tables very slow etc....

At what point does someone say something? I have no issue with it, I was extra carefull when he was on the track but im sure not everyone is. Do you ask the kids father to not let him ride? Whats the best decision in this case?
Man up and let the kid have 10 minutes on the track without everyone else flying past him
1/17/2019 10:58am Edited Date/Time 1/17/2019 11:00am
kaptkaos wrote:
Each of your posts keeps getting down voted and the more you write the more the worse it gets. Clearly my wording was accurate as others...
Each of your posts keeps getting down voted and the more you write the more the worse it gets.

Clearly my wording was accurate as others were able to comprehend that it was the 'fast enough" attitude that needs to be eradicated. Then you only have the ME perspective. Never mind its not your track, never mind other people paid to share the same track, never mind that the entire world is not SoCal where there are 3 tracks at every facility and multiple facilities within a 1 hour drive. I would venture to say that most facilities around the US do not have a second track, maybe just a small turn track at most. You dont go from new mini rider on a turn track to being Coastlinecascot without some track time.

Please look outside your own little world and consider others for a moment. Its called "Being Mindful". Someones kid was just killed, a racing facility is facing serious litigation and all you can think about is you...get over yourself bud.

I don't care if I'm voted down. It's not a popularity contest. If you only have one track that your situation. To advocate all tracks some...
If you only have one track that your situation. To advocate all tracks some with multiple options for all skill levels should have broken up sessions to me is nonsense. What I'm advocating is stay the f off the main when fast guys are on there if you are new. Common sense people
brocster wrote:
I come from an area where there has only been one track on the property of any location and they separate practice in 20 min sessions...
I come from an area where there has only been one track on the property of any location and they separate practice in 20 min sessions. Been doing this for 29 years and NO ONE has ever been killed by being jumped on.

Do you not take breaks while at the track? Time your breaks with the sessions. You know, common sense...

I still dont inderstand what you are arguing about.
Why make 30 riders wait to ride the main for a few slow riders that want to ride. When They can ride a track made for them. Milestone has 4 tracks. So does fox or elsinore and 3 at cahuilla. It's not complicated. If you are not skilled enough, Maybe you should take your butt whips, elbow scrubs to the vet.

Plenty of 65cc 85cc riders able to ride the main no problem. A beginner should not venture on the main when it's busy. Just putting everyone at risk
dkg
1/17/2019 11:02am
kaptkaos wrote:
You are right, the best possible outcome in this is for the Father or the Father of another accident victim become a very strong advocate and...
You are right, the best possible outcome in this is for the Father or the Father of another accident victim become a very strong advocate and help raise awareness. Moto is dangerous as hell, but this was avoidable and its really hard to place the blame solely on the kids father. He may have thought he was doing all the right things, but I know if I go to a gun store, they dont just sell me a gun and bullets and say go over there and have ball, nor can I go to a Dive Shop, fillup tanks and get on a dive boat without a scuba certification. I cant race my car in a club race without a certification ride, car inspection, and drivers meeting, etc.

To the poster who said moto is just about the most dangerous sport, yeah its dangerous, but there are some other sports just as dangerous if not more, I wonder how the major injury/death rates compare. I cant imagine the waivers you must sign to race at the Isle of Man, or the Real Road Racing circuit in Europe. Scuba Diving, Deep Open Water Free diving, Bullfighting, Rodeo, Indycar Ovals, F1 at Monaco, mountain climbing, jumping out of a plane in a squirrel suit.... its all pretty dangerous.
Agreed, the things that concerns me the most in this situation is that it (based on the article) paints a picture of a father and son that are newbies in the sport with a very limited understanding of what they were getting into trying to do the right thing. The father goes to a track that "offered on-site training and tracks for all levels ....". They are then directed to the practice track after telling the employee of their experience level. The article does not explain what all was discussed or if the chance of being landed on by varying skill level of riders was even obvious to anyone watching. There is so much missing in the article. It doesn't describe dad's level of knowledge about the sport or anything else. Regardless of the additional background facts, the article does describe a situation that needs to be addressed.

Everyone has been a beginner at some point in time. If a beginner is not fortunate enough to be at the track with someone with experience the odds of problems goes up dramatically. For most, it doesn't result in death. It seems to me some steps should be taken to inform the beginning rider/parent. Perhaps even something as simple as an information sheet to be read and signed if it is the first time at a the track. Just include it with the waiver documents.

Personally, I'd like to see some level of track certification for safety standards (not by government but by an independent industry based nonprofit organization) and a method developed to assist the beginning rider. (Much like is done with the other sports you mention). Things like this might go a long way towards getting new riders involved or at least reduce events like this from occurring which ultimately turn into urban legend and scare many parents away from allowing kids to participate.

Many of the ideas suggested by others in this thread ought to be strongly considered by tracks for implementation. This is a dangerous sport, but collectively steps could be taken to reduce some of the risks. Forums like this would be a good place to use to develop ideas to reduce risk as the collective body of knowledge is immense. Just have to separate the wheat from the chaff.
TJMX947
1/17/2019 11:31am Edited Date/Time 1/17/2019 11:32am
About 10 years ago a 5/6 year old kid was killed Parker Valley MX in Western NC when struck by someone on a bigger bike, I think an 85. A group of 85s were on the track when they weren't supposed to be.

Super sad situation as they all are. That track is now closed, I hope Club MX doesn't suffer the same fate...but like sized bikes/skill levels need to be grouped and IDGAF how mad it makes anyone...because this will continue to happen.
zehn
1/17/2019 11:33am
brocster wrote:
I come from an area where there has only been one track on the property of any location and they separate practice in 20 min sessions...

I still dont inderstand what you are arguing about. Why make 30 riders wait to ride the main for a few slow riders that want to...
Why make 30 riders wait to ride the main for a few slow riders that want to ride. When They can ride a track made for them. Milestone has 4 tracks. So does fox or elsinore and 3 at cahuilla. It's not complicated. If you are not skilled enough, Maybe you should take your butt whips, elbow scrubs to the vet.

Plenty of 65cc 85cc riders able to ride the main no problem. A beginner should not venture on the main when it's busy. Just putting everyone at risk
How do you not understand that most people don’t live in SoCal and can’t ride at facilities that have more than one real track?

You can’t honestly be this stupid. You sound like some entitled ”you’re not fast enough so you don’t get to ride” asshole
brocster
1/17/2019 11:42am Edited Date/Time 1/17/2019 12:02pm
brocster wrote:

I still dont inderstand what you are arguing about. Why make 30 riders wait to ride the main for a few slow riders that want to...

zehn wrote:
How do you not understand that most people don’t live in SoCal and can’t ride at facilities that have more than one real track? You can’t...
How do you not understand that most people don’t live in SoCal and can’t ride at facilities that have more than one real track?

You can’t honestly be this stupid. You sound like some entitled ”you’re not fast enough so you don’t get to ride” asshole
This is exactly what he is and he’s too caught up in himself to see that he is discussing rules made up by himself and fails to comprehend that I am making a case that rules are posted no where and they are supposed to asssumed or understood . If he wasn’t so PRO maybe he could go over and give some sound advise to a beginner or to someone that doesn’t know but he’s to cool/fast for that.
zehn
1/17/2019 11:45am
Look, I would love to ride a track with a Vet/Am track but I can’t, so I have to ride on the one track at the same time as the fast guys and be aware and stay out of the fast lines. I get his frustration about guys who lack awareness but you can’t just exclude them from the track for 90% of the day when the “fast enough” guys get the lion’s share of the track time.
early
Fantasy
2212th
1/17/2019 11:45am

zehn wrote:
How do you not understand that most people don’t live in SoCal and can’t ride at facilities that have more than one real track? You can’t...

brocster wrote:
This is exactly what he is and he’s too caught up in himself to see that he is discussing rules made up by himself and fails...
This is exactly what he is and he’s too caught up in himself to see that he is discussing rules made up by himself and fails to comprehend that I am making a case that rules are posted no where and they are supposed to asssumed or understood . If he wasn’t so PRO maybe he could go over and give some sound advise to a beginner or to someone that doesn’t know but he’s to cool/fast for that.
Cut the guy some slack, at least he's not blaming women with jobs.
zehn
1/17/2019 11:46am
zehn wrote:

brocster wrote:
This is exactly what he is and he’s too caught up in himself to see that he is discussing rules made up by himself and fails...
early wrote:
LaughingLaughing
brocster
1/17/2019 11:52am
zehn wrote:

brocster wrote:
early wrote:
Funny thing is I think my step daughter may have slowed him from winning practice on the “Main”.
fourfourone
1/17/2019 11:53am
brocster wrote:

zehn wrote:

That's how it is in the northeast, we don't have the privilege of track selections at one track. 90% literally only have 1 track on site
1/17/2019 11:59am
brocster wrote:

zehn wrote:

Reading comprehension is escaping you. At what point did I ever state an opinion based on anything outside of my "world". I clearly stated I don't want to see broken up sessions at my track. It was tried and failed at perris.

If you have one track with a million riders and only option is broken sessions. Then thats your problem. "Are you that stupid? "
zehn
1/17/2019 12:00pm

zehn wrote:

Reading comprehension is escaping you. At what point did I ever state an opinion based on anything outside of my "world". I clearly stated I don't...
Reading comprehension is escaping you. At what point did I ever state an opinion based on anything outside of my "world". I clearly stated I don't want to see broken up sessions at my track. It was tried and failed at perris.

If you have one track with a million riders and only option is broken sessions. Then thats your problem. "Are you that stupid? "
See my later post
1/17/2019 12:09pm
zehn wrote:

Reading comprehension is escaping you. At what point did I ever state an opinion based on anything outside of my "world". I clearly stated I don't...

zehn wrote:
See my later post
-Your right beginners should be on the main with 30 other riders jumping around them. Even if other tracks are available. Fuck it they paid why not
-We need more regulations and less common sense.
-While your at it take your street legal drz125 on the 405 or 10. Why not. Fuck it you pay for registration why not
peltier626
1/17/2019 12:33pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2019 12:36pm

zehn wrote:
See my later post
-Your right beginners should be on the main with 30 other riders jumping around them. Even if other tracks are available. Fuck it they paid why...
-Your right beginners should be on the main with 30 other riders jumping around them. Even if other tracks are available. Fuck it they paid why not
-While your at it take your street legal drz125 on the 405 or 10. Why not. Fuck it you pay for registration why not
Dude. There are reasons in your approach that is exactly why this sport is difficult for newcomers. None of our facility's in Louisiana have more than one track, they're usually split into twenty minute sessions either 2 or 3 different groups depending on track turnout.
1/17/2019 12:39pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2019 12:39pm
A few things, it's really a shitty reminder of how sometimes folks in this industry don't work together for the greater good of the riders. I can agree with the fact that split practices and waiting do suck. The solution I would offer for that:

Saturday practice minis only 7:00am - 12:00pm
closed for maintenance 12:00pm - 1:00pm
Big bikes only 1:00pm - Close

Then just flip it on Sunday for the "bros" that have to have the good morning dirt and prepped track. This solves a waiting in a sense.

Second, not to be a cold hearted cynic. But what would a flagger have done in this situation? 2019 marks my 10th year of riding and not once have I ever seen a flagger wave a flag unless some tipped over in a corner or crashed. From what it sounds like at Club MX the rider on the 85 was upright and riding and just got landed on. I don't think a flagger would've prevented that. With that said, the way tracks a built now is laughable. It's like the owners aren't paying attention to wich gates are the fullest on race day (hint, it's not A and B ) Most of the riders I speak with desire good dirt first and fore most. These death defying jumps are dumb and bad for the sport.
peltier626
1/17/2019 12:44pm
Someone needs to compile the logical data on this vital forum because the answer to a lot of this sports problems can be found on this site. Seriously there is some useful info.
neysbo
1/17/2019 1:00pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2019 1:06pm

zehn wrote:
See my later post
-Your right beginners should be on the main with 30 other riders jumping around them. Even if other tracks are available. Fuck it they paid why...
you are a privileged individual my man,lets just all bow down to the fast guys.
Tracktor
1/17/2019 1:13pm
No, sessions should not be broken up between little and big bikes. We have mini night here in socal. Stay to that night or to the...
No, sessions should not be broken up between little and big bikes. We have mini night here in socal. Stay to that night or to the amateur track if your not fast enough. We had broken sessions once at perris. That sucked watching 3 minis going around for 30 minutes.
brocster wrote:
What is “fast enough”? Bet you are one of those elitist that think everyone slower than you shouldn’t be on the track at all ever. Get...
What is “fast enough”? Bet you are one of those elitist that think everyone slower than you shouldn’t be on the track at all ever. Get off your high horse bud, a kid lost his life and he shouldn’t have and a track is in trouble and shouldn’t be. Lets hope this doesn’t happen at your track (my track) and it gets taken away.
Elitist? No. Fast enough would be one that is able to at least double everything and be able to hold a line. Also be aware of...
Elitist? No.
Fast enough would be one that is able to at least double everything and be able to hold a line. Also be aware of ones surroundings and able to see ahead. If you have to roll everything and can't understand don't be in the fast line. Don't be on the main track with 20 or 30 others guys having to dodge you. Wait till everyone leaves and 2 people are on the track if you want to check out the main.

As a parent of a couple of boys I gotta disagree with you here. My youngest when on 65's was pretty fast. He could jump damn near anything - He hit our FMX ramp all the time on a 65 & was one of the few 65 riders to huck Washougal's 90' triple. Keeping up (or being faster than) most big bikes was never an issue. It's the physics of it all. if something went wrong chances are he would be the one getting hurt. So we simply didn't go to tracks with mixed practices. From a safety standpoint it's a stupid idea but I fully support the freedom of tracks to choose to do it.

The dense part is not understanding the risk of small mass vs big mass regardless of ability of rider. Hell, years ago a local track had open practice that included quads. By your reasoning this would be safe?

I am glad that my youngest is now on 85's and since he is big enough & fast enough I don't worry as much. But I still prefer at least a big bike/little bike split. Most facilities in the nation don;t have the resources to have/maintain multiple tracks unfortunately. Heck here in the NW we are lucky if they can properly maintain one track..........
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
1/17/2019 1:32pm
I think the insurers will regulate the sport (by setting policy terms or declining to issue policies) before the government does, unless someone in government has...
I think the insurers will regulate the sport (by setting policy terms or declining to issue policies) before the government does, unless someone in government has a personal motivation to go after the sport.

Tracks should be run safely and the riders should bear the burden of that cost.
1/17/2019 2:02pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2019 2:03pm
brocster wrote:
What is “fast enough”? Bet you are one of those elitist that think everyone slower than you shouldn’t be on the track at all ever. Get...
What is “fast enough”? Bet you are one of those elitist that think everyone slower than you shouldn’t be on the track at all ever. Get off your high horse bud, a kid lost his life and he shouldn’t have and a track is in trouble and shouldn’t be. Lets hope this doesn’t happen at your track (my track) and it gets taken away.
Elitist? No.

Tracktor wrote:
As a parent of a couple of boys I gotta disagree with you here. My youngest when on 65's was pretty fast. He could jump damn...
As a parent of a couple of boys I gotta disagree with you here. My youngest when on 65's was pretty fast. He could jump damn near anything - He hit our FMX ramp all the time on a 65 & was one of the few 65 riders to huck Washougal's 90' triple. Keeping up (or being faster than) most big bikes was never an issue. It's the physics of it all. if something went wrong chances are he would be the one getting hurt. So we simply didn't go to tracks with mixed practices. From a safety standpoint it's a stupid idea but I fully support the freedom of tracks to choose to do it.

The dense part is not understanding the risk of small mass vs big mass regardless of ability of rider. Hell, years ago a local track had open practice that included quads. By your reasoning this would be safe?

I am glad that my youngest is now on 85's and since he is big enough & fast enough I don't worry as much. But I still prefer at least a big bike/little bike split. Most facilities in the nation don;t have the resources to have/maintain multiple tracks unfortunately. Heck here in the NW we are lucky if they can properly maintain one track..........
What's dense about what I stated. We have mini nights. We have slow times at the track. Use those opportunities. At no time did i compare mass. Now if we see 60 40 mini riders vs big bikes that want to ride the main. Then maybe split up sessions. As of right now I don't see the turn out for it. Apparently socal tracks agree. Since we don't have it.

Also I'm only speaking for socal tracks . Not any other tracks. Yes we are lucky with many options. Your own track situations I can't and don't care to comment on.
early
Fantasy
2212th
1/17/2019 2:06pm
What's dense about what I stated. We have mini nights. We have slow times at the track. Use those opportunities. At no time did i compare...
What's dense about what I stated. We have mini nights. We have slow times at the track. Use those opportunities. At no time did i compare mass. Now if we see 60 40 mini riders vs big bikes that want to ride the main. Then maybe split up sessions. As of right now I don't see the turn out for it. Apparently socal tracks agree. Since we don't have it.

Also I'm only speaking for socal tracks . Not any other tracks. Yes we are lucky with many options. Your own track situations I can't and don't care to comment on.
Everyone is commenting on improving safety at tracks in general. If the tracks you ride have a good system to make things a little safer for everyone great, the discussion can still continue. Nobody on this forum is kicking you off a track so just chill out.
motofool
Fantasy
2126th
1/17/2019 2:14pm
Bry145 wrote:
This is a tragedy for sure, but moto is an extremely dangerous sport. This also shows that smaller family sizes have a big downside if such...
This is a tragedy for sure, but moto is an extremely dangerous sport.

This also shows that smaller family sizes have a big downside if such a tragedy occurs. I come from a family of 3 kids, and if something happened to me my parents would still have a son and daughter to enjoy life with. That doesn't look to be the case here.

I lost my little sister to a crash at the ponca am national in 2011 and I can tell you first hand you are completely wrong. It changed everything about our family and going on 8 years later I know it will never be the same. A part of my parents died that day with her. Me and my older sister are still here but nothing is the same. We all still have moments especially my parents it took years to get back to a somewhat normal life. Take your false distasteful acomments elsewhere.
ob
1/17/2019 2:16pm
If there is only one track there has to be split practices for sure. Or split days or whatever, mixing kids with big bikes is bad. I hate it when kids are on the track at the same time as me, they deserve their own track or time or whatever. Swerving around kids and really slow bikes is not a track feature I look forward to. These threads really are heart breaking as a father myself.

Post a reply to: Club MX being sued, could affect other tracks?

The Latest