Close to a new era in SX?

I was just looking up the ages of the top ten 450 riders and, man, Chase Sexton could be poised to go on a long run of championships in the near future. Maybe not this year, but I think he's well ahead of his peers in speed and racecraft. When he starts to manage those little mistakes and the old guard retires, he could do some damage to the record books.

1. Eli Tomac 29
2. Chase Sexton 22
3. Jason Anderson 29 (next week)
4. Malcom Stewart 29
5. Justin Barcia 29
6. Cooper Webb 26
7. Marvin Musquin 32
8. Ken Roczen 27(soon)
9. Dylan Ferrandis 27
10. Aaron Plessinger 26
|
Johnny Ringo
2/12/2022 11:59am
Gonna get real thin in a few years.

Not like it was in the 2000s tho, guys go into their 30s now
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
2/12/2022 12:03pm
Some looking to move up soon:

Cianciarulo 26 in October
Jeremy Martin 29 in May
Colt Nichols 28 next month
Christian Craig 31 in July
Austin Forkner 24 in September
RJ Hampshire 26 last month
Hunter Lawrence 23 in August
2/12/2022 12:05pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2022 12:07pm
Indeed, there are a few guys I can't see sticking around for more than another season or two.

Chase certainly looks to have the advantage over his peers, but it's a cycle that's happened many times before. A young guy comes up with great raw speed and just needs to control the little mistakes. The problem is that the mistakes are caused by the raw speed, and so inevitably over time riders slow down a little to gain consistency. Right now Chase looks to be running at a pace too fast for him to reliably control, if he hasn't got the skill to control the bike at that speed by this stage in his career he likely won't aquire it in the future. I expect his race pace over the next 5 years to be slightly below what he's shown over the last few weeks.
thewrizzle
2/12/2022 12:07pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Some looking to move up soon: Cianciarulo 26 in October Jeremy Martin 29 in May Colt Nichols 28 next month Christian Craig 31 in July Austin...

Jeremy Martin 29 in May
AC is moving up soon?? JK
It sucks that injuries have made him less and less relevant. Reminds me of too many promising superstars.

The Shop

2/12/2022 12:07pm
I was just looking up the ages of the top ten 450 riders and, man, Chase Sexton could be poised to go on a long run...
I was just looking up the ages of the top ten 450 riders and, man, Chase Sexton could be poised to go on a long run of championships in the near future. Maybe not this year, but I think he's well ahead of his peers in speed and racecraft. When he starts to manage those little mistakes and the old guard retires, he could do some damage to the record books.

1. Eli Tomac 29
2. Chase Sexton 22
4. Malcom Stewart 29
5. Justin Barcia 29
6. Cooper Webb 26
7. Marvin Musquin 32
8. Ken Roczen 27(soon)
9. Dylan Ferrandis 27
10. Aaron Plessinger 26
That's what I thought of Kenny and Marvin.
2/12/2022 12:08pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Some looking to move up soon: Cianciarulo 26 in October Jeremy Martin 29 in May Colt Nichols 28 next month Christian Craig 31 in July Austin...

Jeremy Martin 29 in May
Yeah, and maybe Jett Lawrence moves up at a young age and transitions well to the 450. That would be interesting with him and Sexton in the Honda rig.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
2/12/2022 12:16pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

Jeremy Martin 29 in May
thewrizzle wrote:
AC is moving up soon?? JK
It sucks that injuries have made him less and less relevant. Reminds me of too many promising superstars.
Grinning I just put him there since he wasn't listed in the original post. There's also Wilson turning 31 in December.

Guys are staying in the sport longer.
web mx
2/12/2022 2:47pm
I was just looking up the ages of the top ten 450 riders and, man, Chase Sexton could be poised to go on a long run...

1. Eli Tomac 29
2. Chase Sexton 22
4. Malcom Stewart 29
5. Justin Barcia 29
6. Cooper Webb 26
7. Marvin Musquin 32
8. Ken Roczen 27(soon)
9. Dylan Ferrandis 27
10. Aaron Plessinger 26
Roczen 28 in april
cable
2/12/2022 2:56pm
still waiting for the next young guy to be our guy cooper, stew, mcgrath, carmichael. right now weve got the same guys doing the same things like bicycle racing. whens the last time one or two guys could jump a rythm nobody else could. imagine what guy cooper or brian swink would do with this much horsepower. maybe we need bigger rythm sections. nice big 12 pack.
TeamGreen
2/12/2022 3:09pm
We're gonna have an "Over 30" podium in SX over the next year.

As of next season, it looks like we're gonna have 6 or 7 very fast guys that will be Vet MX racers Grinning
kage173
2/12/2022 3:33pm
Good point OP but we've seen things like this before. As Dungey was winding down we all thought 94 and 3 were gonna split the next 6 years of championships. And here we are with only 1 between the two if them.

There's a reason we line em up
Dirt.Squirt
2/12/2022 6:30pm
Crazy how sexton is younger than all those 250 guys mentioned I didn’t realize he moved up so soon
2/12/2022 6:52pm
kage173 wrote:
Good point OP but we've seen things like this before. As Dungey was winding down we all thought 94 and 3 were gonna split the next...
Good point OP but we've seen things like this before. As Dungey was winding down we all thought 94 and 3 were gonna split the next 6 years of championships. And here we are with only 1 between the two if them.

There's a reason we line em up
True. The Ryans stepped up and owned their era, but it doesn't always happen. I just think Chase is in a good position to become the next "guy." Could be wrong, it could be Jett, but I kind of like this period of parity. Reminds me of the early to mid 80s.
2/12/2022 7:00pm
Crazy how sexton is younger than all those 250 guys mentioned I didn’t realize he moved up so soon
Ya quite a few people were saying he was crazy to move up, he was going to get smoked on a 450, he only had one outdoor moto win, etc.
BS12
2/12/2022 7:02pm
AC is 26? Wow.
Gotta feel for Forkner. Few years ago he gave the 250 SX title to rookie Sexton. Sexton now knocking on the door of top dog for HRC 450 and very well positioned to be the next man of the sport, while AF is yet to complete a regional 250 SX series.
web mx
2/12/2022 7:35pm
BS12 wrote:
AC is 26? Wow. Gotta feel for Forkner. Few years ago he gave the 250 SX title to rookie Sexton. Sexton now knocking on the door...
AC is 26? Wow.
Gotta feel for Forkner. Few years ago he gave the 250 SX title to rookie Sexton. Sexton now knocking on the door of top dog for HRC 450 and very well positioned to be the next man of the sport, while AF is yet to complete a regional 250 SX series.
Sexton wasn't a rookie in 2019 when Forkner messed up and handed him the title
TXDirt
2/12/2022 8:02pm
BS12 wrote:
AC is 26? Wow. Gotta feel for Forkner. Few years ago he gave the 250 SX title to rookie Sexton. Sexton now knocking on the door...
AC is 26? Wow.
Same for Webb and AC. They battled on 250s. Webb moved up way before AC did. And Webb is now already a 2x 450 SX champion. AC hasn’t really done anything. Some flashes of speed. But can’t stay healthy at all.
mx313
2/13/2022 1:07am Edited Date/Time 2/13/2022 4:22am
TeamGreen wrote:
We're gonna have an "Over 30" podium in SX over the next year. As of next season, it looks like we're gonna have 6 or 7...

As of next season, it looks like we're gonna have 6 or 7 very fast guys that will be Vet MX racers Grinning
There was almost an over 30s podium in the 250s.
It was close to being Craig, friese and blose.
Hank_Thrill
2/13/2022 4:12am
It’s crazy to think RC accomplished what he did and retired at the age of 27.
2/13/2022 9:11am Edited Date/Time 2/13/2022 9:14am
Barcia looked as good as chase does now when he first moved up. I think Chase is the real deal, but I don’t see him going on a tear. He’s a very serious racer that puts a lot of pressure on himself, and I think that will do more harm than good in the long run.

In my opinion, the field is going to thin out in the future despite the names coming up. Not many of the 250 guys are very consistent and I think we’re going to see more fill in rides than anything. I can see the class shifting back to having one or two dominant riders every weekend.

Of course this is all speculation and I would love to be proven wrong. We have definitely been spoiled these past few seasons.

Edit: the more I think of it, there are a lot of solid 250 guys. The split costs make me forget about some names.
2/13/2022 11:01am
TeamGreen wrote:
We're gonna have an "Over 30" podium in SX over the next year. As of next season, it looks like we're gonna have 6 or 7...

mx313 wrote:
Crazy, right?

Both classes being controlled by guys that are nearly 30-years-old could mean a couple of things. Either the next generation hasn't stepped it up, or we're in new territory in which training techniques and preparation have allowed these guys to be competitive into their 30s.

Either way, Chase is positioned to be a threat for a long time.
TeamGreen
2/13/2022 11:08am
TeamGreen wrote:

mx313 wrote:
Crazy, right? Both classes being controlled by guys that are nearly 30-years-old could mean a couple of things. Either the next generation hasn't stepped it up...
Crazy, right?

Both classes being controlled by guys that are nearly 30-years-old could mean a couple of things. Either the next generation hasn't stepped it up, or we're in new territory in which training techniques and preparation have allowed these guys to be competitive into their 30s.

I'm not even considering that the young guys aren't good enough; but, there can be a thinner heard at certain times and during different eras. Are we in one of those? I don't know for sure...seems to me A LOT of the guys we'd been expecting to be part of the New School of Champions have had plenty of bad luck and injuries. From Forkner to Colt 45...injuries happen.

We are entering into an era where, as you said, guys that're getting into their 30s and they have PLENTY of speed left in'em.

Last night's 450 podium was, I think, '29 years old'...right?
2/13/2022 11:16am
mx313 wrote:
Crazy, right? Both classes being controlled by guys that are nearly 30-years-old could mean a couple of things. Either the next generation hasn't stepped it up...
Crazy, right?

TeamGreen wrote:
I'm not even considering that the young guys aren't good enough; but, there can be a thinner heard at certain times and during different eras. Are...
I'm not even considering that the young guys aren't good enough; but, there can be a thinner heard at certain times and during different eras. Are we in one of those? I don't know for sure...seems to me A LOT of the guys we'd been expecting to be part of the New School of Champions have had plenty of bad luck and injuries. From Forkner to Colt 45...injuries happen.

We are entering into an era where, as you said, guys that're getting into their 30s and they have PLENTY of speed left in'em.

Last night's 450 podium was, I think, '29 years old'...right?
Yeah, all three of them, and I hope they hang around for a few more years!

Post a reply to: Close to a new era in SX?

The Latest