Cleaning your plastics

Brock183
Edited Date/Time 6/16/2021 7:43pm
Hi All,

Just wanted to see what people are using these days to clean their plastics up when they're a bit faded.
Not really full restoration cleaning, but just to bring the colour back out again.

I recently removed some stickers on one of the plastics and noticed how bad it was. I had some T-Cut laying around so I rubbed them down with that, waited until it tried, wiped that off, then put on a bit of silicone spray and they came up better than they were, though can still see a few scratches.

Anyone else have some easy ways of restoring plastics or some magic solutions?

|
AJ565
6/15/2021 6:04am
A heat gun will restore faded color on plastics. Also removes those white lines on Yamaha blue fenders after a crash.
CR92
6/15/2021 6:06am
Maxima Sc-1. "New bike in a can"
It really does work wonders, and will work on more than just your plastics. I use it on the inside and outside of my pickup.
Once you try it, you'll never go back.
Brock183
6/15/2021 6:16am
AJ565 wrote:
A heat gun will restore faded color on plastics. Also removes those white lines on Yamaha blue fenders after a crash.
I used a heat gun to remove the stickers, but was worried if I heat gunned it too much it might make the plastic brittle and crack easy? You had any issues with that?
Brock183
6/15/2021 6:18am
CR92 wrote:
Maxima Sc-1. "New bike in a can" It really does work wonders, and will work on more than just your plastics. I use it on the...
It really does work wonders, and will work on more than just your plastics. I use it on the inside and outside of my pickup.
Cheers CR92, will give it a crack. Not 100% sure where to get it from in Aus, though I think maybe the online MXStore should have it. Will get some with my next order.. Sure that won't be too far away haha.

The Shop

kb228
6/15/2021 7:11am
You probably will want to wet sand down to 2000 grit and then hit it with heat to smooth it out. Its a lot of work.
Brock183
6/15/2021 7:32am
kb228 wrote:
You probably will want to wet sand down to 2000 grit and then hit it with heat to smooth it out. Its a lot of work.
Yeah, was wanting to see what easy solutions people use to get their plastics looking nice again without going to all that effort haha.
EngIceDave
6/15/2021 7:36am
CR92 wrote:
Maxima Sc-1. "New bike in a can" It really does work wonders, and will work on more than just your plastics. I use it on the...
Brock183 wrote:
Cheers CR92, will give it a crack. Not 100% sure where to get it from in Aus, though I think maybe the online MXStore should have...
Cheers CR92, will give it a crack. Not 100% sure where to get it from in Aus, though I think maybe the online MXStore should have it. Will get some with my next order.. Sure that won't be too far away haha.
LOOnatic
6/15/2021 7:52am
Long time SC1 user here.
A buddy who sells Amsoil gave me a can of their version called Mud Slinger. It blows away SC1. Not as thin and stays on longer.
I've also tried the Motul version and Mud Slinger seems to be best value.
kb228
6/15/2021 9:26am
LOOnatic wrote:
Long time SC1 user here. A buddy who sells Amsoil gave me a can of their version called Mud Slinger. It blows away SC1. Not as...
Long time SC1 user here.
A buddy who sells Amsoil gave me a can of their version called Mud Slinger. It blows away SC1. Not as thin and stays on longer.
Wd40 silicone lube is even cheaper yet
AJ565
6/15/2021 11:00am
AJ565 wrote:
Brock183 wrote:
I used a heat gun to remove the stickers, but was worried if I heat gunned it too much it might make the plastic brittle and...
I used a heat gun to remove the stickers, but was worried if I heat gunned it too much it might make the plastic brittle and crack easy? You had any issues with that?
Never had a problem. Don’t get crazy with it or you’ll melt it. I’ve also used it to restore plastic trim on vehicles.
cwel11
6/15/2021 4:26pm
LOOnatic wrote:
Long time SC1 user here. A buddy who sells Amsoil gave me a can of their version called Mud Slinger. It blows away SC1. Not as...
Long time SC1 user here.
X2
Brock183
6/15/2021 5:13pm
AJ565 wrote:
Brock183 wrote:
I used a heat gun to remove the stickers, but was worried if I heat gunned it too much it might make the plastic brittle and...
AJ565 wrote:
Never had a problem. Don’t get crazy with it or you’ll melt it. I’ve also used it to restore plastic trim on vehicles.
Yeah sweet, will give that a go too.
Yeah handy trick restoring sun damaged trim on cars with a heat gun, makes em look new again.
bernnet
6/16/2021 1:29am
The Plastic Renew works great also.
kage173
6/16/2021 6:56pm
Mother's Back to Black is good. SC1 is good 2
6/16/2021 7:04pm
Brock183 wrote:
Hi All, Just wanted to see what people are using these days to clean their plastics up when they're a bit faded. Not really full restoration...
Hi All,

Just wanted to see what people are using these days to clean their plastics up when they're a bit faded.
Not really full restoration cleaning, but just to bring the colour back out again.

I recently removed some stickers on one of the plastics and noticed how bad it was. I had some T-Cut laying around so I rubbed them down with that, waited until it tried, wiped that off, then put on a bit of silicone spray and they came up better than they were, though can still see a few scratches.

I get the new plastics kits off Rocky Mountain for $100. Hopefully aus has a place that is similar
Brock183
6/16/2021 7:43pm
Brock183 wrote:
Hi All, Just wanted to see what people are using these days to clean their plastics up when they're a bit faded. Not really full restoration...
Hi All,

I get the new plastics kits off Rocky Mountain for $100. Hopefully aus has a place that is similar
From what I can see at the popular online stores here there all around $200.00

Post a reply to: Cleaning your plastics

The Latest