Cleaning boots

VilloFan951
Edited Date/Time 3/18/2015 12:15am
Can anybody give me some advice on how to clean my boots really good? I have access to a pressure washer is there any kind of cleaner i should use that won't mess them up? I know I will Prob get a lot of shit for this post I don't really care i just need some advice
|
mmain62
3/17/2015 9:51am
I use to pressure wash mine until I melted the toe on my Tech 7s now I spray them off from a distance and then hand scrub them with Westley's Bleach White and a MR Clean Magic Eraser. Hope this helps
Grieby54
3/17/2015 10:10am
Spray some simple green on there. You can use a pressure washer, but just don't be an idiot with it and you should be set. (I can say that because I was an idiot and blasted a hole in my old seat cover)
Ardfarkl
3/17/2015 10:11am
I saw a picture on FB where a guy had his in the dishwasher.
Darryl916
3/17/2015 10:11am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2015 10:55am
Can anybody give me some advice on how to clean my boots really good? I have access to a pressure washer is there any kind of...
Can anybody give me some advice on how to clean my boots really good? I have access to a pressure washer is there any kind of cleaner i should use that won't mess them up? I know I will Prob get a lot of shit for this post I don't really care i just need some advice
Depends what kind of boots, how much time you are willing to invest, and how returned to new you want them.

I wear white tech 10's and started out scrubbing them each time with a scrub brush/soap & water. Now that they are older and the sting of $600 is over, I just pressure wash them off with the bike. They look great again after just that.

Most important thing is to not let them sit really muddy too long so they don't stain too bad. No super special treatment is needed really. Some dirt stains more than others. Red North Carolina clay (NCMP) seems to be the worst on the east coast. Don't let that sit on ANYTHING.

Hope that helps a little....

The Shop

Randy Savage
3/17/2015 10:12am
Simple Green is for people who hate motorcycles and motorcycle equipment. Save that acidic shit for your toilet bowl rings, that's all it's good for.
Grieby54
3/17/2015 10:26am
Simple Green is for people who hate motorcycles and motorcycle equipment. Save that acidic shit for your toilet bowl rings, that's all it's good for.
Care to enlighten me as to why it's a bad idea to put simple green on my plastics, wheels, and tires?
Randy Savage
3/17/2015 10:34am
Grieby54 wrote:
Care to enlighten me as to why it's a bad idea to put simple green on my plastics, wheels, and tires?
Because the pH is 9.5, which is alkaline. it fades your plastic, oxidizes your aluminum, strips your anodizing, and breaks down the leather in your boots. I mis-spoke in my original post, I think I said "acidic" in a brainfart moment. alkaline is what i meant to type.

I use a mixture of Dawn dish detergent and water. It cuts grease, and it is gentle enough for baby otters after oil spills, it's gentle enough for my scooter. Some people use Shout, same principle. pH neutral cleaner.

as far as boots go, i use the dawn mixture, gentle pressure washer, then i hit them with lexol (leather & vinyl preservative)on the outside, and mint foot powder on the inside. minty fresh and clean all the time.
radialone
3/17/2015 10:36am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2015 10:37am
Simple Green will be too harsh on your bike, boots etc over time. I use Shout on my bike and boots in conjunction with the pressure washer.

Wet boots, spray on the Shout, let sit for a minute and rinse away with pressure washer. If you need to get any stubborn black marks off, a magic eraser works well.
Grieby54
3/17/2015 10:37am
Grieby54 wrote:
Because the pH is 9.5, which is alkaline. it fades your plastic, oxidizes your aluminum, strips your anodizing, and breaks down the leather in your boots...
Because the pH is 9.5, which is alkaline. it fades your plastic, oxidizes your aluminum, strips your anodizing, and breaks down the leather in your boots. I mis-spoke in my original post, I think I said "acidic" in a brainfart moment. alkaline is what i meant to type.

I use a mixture of Dawn dish detergent and water. It cuts grease, and it is gentle enough for baby otters after oil spills, it's gentle enough for my scooter. Some people use Shout, same principle. pH neutral cleaner.

as far as boots go, i use the dawn mixture, gentle pressure washer, then i hit them with lexol (leather & vinyl preservative)on the outside, and mint foot powder on the inside. minty fresh and clean all the time.
Is it really an issue when I leave it on the bike for no more than two minutes and wash it off? I've only used it on my last wash, but I know people swear by the stuff.
SEE ARE125
3/17/2015 10:41am
Speaking of cleaning, I bought a foam cannon the other day. Only got to use it on my wife's car so far, but that thing is freakin' sweet. As soon as I get a chance to go ride again, I'll report back how it performs on a bike.

Alan_Hess
3/17/2015 10:45am
Ive been using 50/50 Simple Green and water for over 2 years now and have never had a problem. Got the idea from the Factory Kawi Off-Road team (back when they were still around). Had a buddy ride for them and got the information relayed to me. Use it on my bike, boots, everything and its been perfect.
Randy Savage
3/17/2015 10:54am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2015 10:54am
Grieby54 wrote:
Because the pH is 9.5, which is alkaline. it fades your plastic, oxidizes your aluminum, strips your anodizing, and breaks down the leather in your boots...

Grieby54 wrote:
Is it really an issue when I leave it on the bike for no more than two minutes and wash it off? I've only used it...
Is it really an issue when I leave it on the bike for no more than two minutes and wash it off? I've only used it on my last wash, but I know people swear by the stuff.
Just dilute it like the guy above me said. People do swear by it because it's easy and it does work. it's just really harsh and takes it's toll on aluminum, especially. Ever notice how the guys who buy the cheap DNA and Warp9 black wheels, usually have brown wheels 6 months later? Straight Simple Green.
DoctorJD
3/17/2015 11:01am
radialone wrote:
Simple Green will be too harsh on your bike, boots etc over time. I use Shout on my bike and boots in conjunction with the pressure...
Simple Green will be too harsh on your bike, boots etc over time. I use Shout on my bike and boots in conjunction with the pressure washer.

Wet boots, spray on the Shout, let sit for a minute and rinse away with pressure washer. If you need to get any stubborn black marks off, a magic eraser works well.
This, except I hand brush mine instead of pressure washing.
SCAM124
Fantasy
2161st
3/17/2015 11:30am
MI mud. Simple Green is a must (on bike and boots) after a muddy moto. Otherwise, it would take HOURS to wash a bike. Only way to remove the stains.
TFuchs978
3/17/2015 11:34am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2015 11:35am
Can anybody give me some advice on how to clean my boots really good? I have access to a pressure washer is there any kind of...
I use Purple Power and a red scotch bright on my white SG-10's, its kept them super clean for a couple years now. I also pressure wash the boots upside down on road cones so I don't have to worry about stuffing a towel in them, or filling them up with water.
EastFlorida
3/17/2015 11:40am
TFuchs978 wrote:
I use Purple Power and a red scotch bright on my white SG-10's, its kept them super clean for a couple years now. I also pressure...
I use Purple Power and a red scotch bright on my white SG-10's, its kept them super clean for a couple years now. I also pressure wash the boots upside down on road cones so I don't have to worry about stuffing a towel in them, or filling them up with water.
GREAT idea on the road cones! Need to find me a few...
chuckie108
3/17/2015 12:44pm
Pre soak with Mr. Clean- then take a soft scrub brush, apply dawn with some water, and start scrubbing. A scrub brush work great on boots as it gets into all the nooks and crannies(sp?). Rinse with the garden hose with the spray nozzle(outside only). Don't really see a need for a pressure washer. Repeat as needed until they are clean. I then dry them off with a micro fiber followed by compressed air. Blowing out the inside of the boots helps get the dirt out of the inside as well. I don't like to let things sit wet and air dry- water can be slightly corrosive as well. Did I mention that I wont own a set of white boots? haha I'm all about function over fashion- black boots just look nicer longer.
Motochimp
3/17/2015 12:51pm
Has anyone had a problem with their white boots eventually fading a light hue of green after cleaning with any specific product?

I've had 2 pairs of white SIDI's and only use 50/50 Simple Green, both pairs over time have faded to a light hue of green. The only connection I can make is it's the Simple Green... or is it the SIDI boot's?
NotCore
3/17/2015 12:53pm
I use 'shout' brand cleaner.( NOT spray N wash) On my gear, bikes, boots, etc. as long as it's dirt based, it will clean it. If it's mud, spray some shout on it, leave it for a while, and the mud will slide off. Works wonders on your bike, and will not oxidize. It you catch it soon after you get it dirty, you may not even need a pressure washer (or a rag) as a garden hose will wash it sparkling clean.
Mx286
3/17/2015 2:47pm
+1 on not using the Simple Green.

Try using LA's Totally Awesome. Get all the dirt chunks off, spray on and let it set for about a min, then spray off. It's cheap and works just as good if not better than simple green. Also doesn't have any of the acid or that stuff in it either.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
3/17/2015 3:37pm
Do you carry water to the track with you? Like the post above i like to use dawn and a brush then a rag. In east Tn the dirt hear(my personal track is clay and drys blueish) can stain quickly, so i usually try to get the gear and bike clean quickly. Doesnt hurt to go ahead and spray down your van or whatever at the same time, just takes a few minutes.
Mx286
3/17/2015 3:52pm
imoto34 wrote:
Do you carry water to the track with you? Like the post above i like to use dawn and a brush then a rag. In east...
Do you carry water to the track with you? Like the post above i like to use dawn and a brush then a rag. In east Tn the dirt hear(my personal track is clay and drys blueish) can stain quickly, so i usually try to get the gear and bike clean quickly. Doesnt hurt to go ahead and spray down your van or whatever at the same time, just takes a few minutes.
Most are using pressure washer with water barrel.
Nighttrain
3/17/2015 6:13pm
After I clean mine with Shout and light water pressure I stuff wads of newspaper in the boots from toe to top. The newspaper draws the water out of the leather in a couple of hours even while the boots are indoors. Takes out some of the smell funk, too.
captmoto
3/17/2015 8:33pm
That's a good way to ruin a dishwasher.
Every time I ride, the damndest thing happens. My bike and boots get dirty.
I just do a quicky wash and scrub with what ever I'm using to clean the bike. Rinse and air dry. I don't want to use too much pressure to force detergents and water into the seams and crevices of my bike or boots
yzjs7
3/17/2015 8:53pm
Lysol wipes the scrubbing kind. Or soap and a sponge.
gharmon
3/17/2015 8:58pm
Hell I guess I'm the only one that buys "cheaper" boots but I guess you get what you pay for. I used to pressure wash my cheap Thor's but after they were a couple years old the pressure washer started peeling the paint off them. Before that though it was always simple green and pressure wash. Mine actually got a yellowish hue to them. I paid about a $100 dollars for my Thor's and I have yet to have a foot injury. I stabbed my toe in a rut once and my boot protected my foot fine. Can't say the same about my ACL though!!
VilloFan951
3/17/2015 9:29pm
Wow thanks for all the replys i really appreciate it. I'll let you know what i end up using
AzMxr
3/18/2015 12:15am

About the best cleaner for bike and gear. Non corrosive, and little to no scrubbing. Spray it on, let it set for 5 mins.. spray it off, clean, clean.

I have white Gaerne boots, and ride in red TX clay, always come clean for me if I get to them right away.

Post a reply to: Cleaning boots

The Latest