Classic Bike Review: 1989 Yamaha YZ250WR

tblazier
Edited Date/Time 3/1/2019 1:17pm
|
mx_563
2/28/2019 8:51am
Another great piece of content Tony. Thanks for posting.

One of my memories of this bike was from some sort of mainstream TV show, I don't remember the name, it was something similar to "That's Incredible!" or something like that. They gathered a group of Stuntmen and pseudo-famous riders, and gave each of them a Yamaha dirt bike, took them out to a dry lake bed, and had them jump this ramp, onto flat ground, upon which a target had been placed/painted. It was a contest to see who could land in the center. It was super cheesy but it was dirt bikes on mainstream TV so I was stoked. One of the riders was on a YZ490, a few of them on YZ250s, and one guy was on a YZ250WR. I wonder if anybody else remembers seeing that program.

Oh, and regarding suspension....while the YZ250WR had YZ moto suspension, I kind of disagree that it was not good in off-road situations. My recollection is that in the 80s, just about every MX bike that rolled off the showroom floor was too soft for real MX. The 90s and 2000s may have been the "add a tooth to the rear sprocket" decades. But the 80s was the "get stiffer springs" decade. Or am I not remembering correctly?
tblazier
2/28/2019 3:37pm
mx_563 wrote:
Another great piece of content Tony. Thanks for posting. One of my memories of this bike was from some sort of mainstream TV show, I don't...
Another great piece of content Tony. Thanks for posting.

One of my memories of this bike was from some sort of mainstream TV show, I don't remember the name, it was something similar to "That's Incredible!" or something like that. They gathered a group of Stuntmen and pseudo-famous riders, and gave each of them a Yamaha dirt bike, took them out to a dry lake bed, and had them jump this ramp, onto flat ground, upon which a target had been placed/painted. It was a contest to see who could land in the center. It was super cheesy but it was dirt bikes on mainstream TV so I was stoked. One of the riders was on a YZ490, a few of them on YZ250s, and one guy was on a YZ250WR. I wonder if anybody else remembers seeing that program.

Oh, and regarding suspension....while the YZ250WR had YZ moto suspension, I kind of disagree that it was not good in off-road situations. My recollection is that in the 80s, just about every MX bike that rolled off the showroom floor was too soft for real MX. The 90s and 2000s may have been the "add a tooth to the rear sprocket" decades. But the 80s was the "get stiffer springs" decade. Or am I not remembering correctly?
I am relying on all the tests of the bike from the time for my info because I never had one. Testers at the time considered it really good for riding out west, but too stiff for enduro work back east. Even in 1989, a stock YZ250 was way stiffer than any off-road bike of the time.

Thanks for watching!
MPJC
Fantasy
592nd
2/28/2019 3:59pm
I had an IT 200 back in 1986. Loved it - it was a fantastic bike.

The Shop

erik_94COBRA
2/28/2019 7:30pm
This was my first full size 2 stroke. Rode the shit out of it. The WR 5th gear meant dangerous high speeds. Won a local race series at Rio Bravo in the 250 beginner class (circa 1996?). Good times
38special
3/1/2019 7:55am
There were a few of them around here ridden strictly for MX. The guys bought them because they liked the blue and how it went so well with their hot pink gear!

mx_563
3/1/2019 12:53pm
tblazier wrote:
I am relying on all the tests of the bike from the time for my info because I never had one. Testers at the time considered...
I am relying on all the tests of the bike from the time for my info because I never had one. Testers at the time considered it really good for riding out west, but too stiff for enduro work back east. Even in 1989, a stock YZ250 was way stiffer than any off-road bike of the time.

Thanks for watching!
Do you even have magazine back issues that you could have looked at for these tests?

Kidding!!!!!

Thanks for clarifying Tony. I'll keep my mouth shut from now on.
b8res
3/1/2019 1:17pm
Owned a 1990 YZWRA, the bike was owned by Allen Roach, who owned Baja Designs. This bike was fitted with one of the very first Baja Designs Dual Sport Kits. It had a A Loop rewound lighting coil and flywheel wight along with many Baja Designs modifications. I was the second owner after Allen, the bike was California street plated and I rode the the bike at several Team Duel Dogs dual sport event out of southern California and countless trip down into Baja on this bike.

This is one bike I wish I never sold.....

mx_563
3/11/2019 8:43am
Stumbled upon this last weekend and thought it was somewhat apropos...

Post a reply to: Classic Bike Review: 1989 Yamaha YZ250WR

The Latest