Clamp on Grips

Anonymous (not verified)
Edited Date/Time 8/12/2019 2:54pm
Do any of the manufacturers that make clamp ons make them for an 87 CR125? I'm not having any luck finding any. Pro taper makes them going back to 1989, but I don't know if the throttle side will work on an 87.
|
8/11/2019 10:34am
I actually did buy some Scott grips that you use glue on. Installed them Friday and the throttle side grip split. Very strange. It went right on because of the wet glue, so there was no real force involved. A reaction to the glue maybe? The clutch side has no issues and has dried solid.
8/11/2019 10:44am
And don't start on me Kzizbro. You know I'm not a sock puppet!

Anyone have....... anyone know.......

Much yw
JohnMatrix
8/11/2019 3:16pm
I actually did buy some Scott grips that you use glue on. Installed them Friday and the throttle side grip split. Very strange. It went right...
I actually did buy some Scott grips that you use glue on. Installed them Friday and the throttle side grip split. Very strange. It went right on because of the wet glue, so there was no real force involved. A reaction to the glue maybe? The clutch side has no issues and has dried solid.
Several months back I tried a set of some two-tone scott glue-on grips and had the same issue. Mine split apart at the two different colors when I put them on so I took them back to cycle gear for a refund. The emig lock on grips usually come with several different throttle cams. The pro taper's may as well. I'd think one of the cams would probably work with your CR but couldn't tell you for sure. I love the lock ons, and wouldn't buy anything else at this point.

The Shop

captmoto
8/11/2019 3:27pm
Anonymous wrote:
Do any of the manufacturers that make clamp ons make them for an 87 CR125? I'm not having any luck finding any. Pro taper makes them...
Do any of the manufacturers that make clamp ons make them for an 87 CR125? I'm not having any luck finding any. Pro taper makes them going back to 1989, but I don't know if the throttle side will work on an 87.
Look for an 89 throttle and cable. They should be a direct fit if the carbs are the same. I use a late model YZ throttle on my YZ465 so I could run the ODI's or whatever if I wanted to.
oldblood
8/11/2019 6:13pm
Grip glue should only be used in a well ventilated area.
8/11/2019 6:20pm
Thanks all for the suggestions. Period correct, when it comes to grips is not a concern to me. And I'm the only person I have to please. I like the clamp on grips, but don't get too concerned as it looks they aren't to be had. I'm not spending almost $30 to find out they won't install.

soggy
Fantasy
3846th
8/11/2019 6:27pm
i've had a pair of pro taper grips rip similarly. I'm pretty sure it was because i slid them on to fast there was an air pocket that had nowhere to go and ripped the grip open..
mxracer666
8/11/2019 6:36pm
If they claim to fit an '89, they will fit an '87...
chippo
8/11/2019 6:47pm
You could always go the easy and guaranteed route of fitting a 89 throttle/cable then using the 89 grips, saves messing around and wasting more money. Although have you tried fitting the 89 grips on what you already have?
OldPro277
8/12/2019 11:32am
Thanks all for the suggestions. Period correct, when it comes to grips is not a concern to me. And I'm the only person I have to...
Thanks all for the suggestions. Period correct, when it comes to grips is not a concern to me. And I'm the only person I have to please. I like the clamp on grips, but don't get too concerned as it looks they aren't to be had. I'm not spending almost $30 to find out they won't install.

Yo HarryBro--- we just put a set of ODI lock ons on my son-in-laws 75 KX250. Worked fine. They come with a couple diff cams. Pretty easy to figure out. I even lost a bet to him, because I told him that there was NO WAY those were going to work with his MP Gunnar gasser type of throttle. But it did.
Stuntman949
8/12/2019 12:18pm
oldblood wrote:
Grip glue should only be used in a well ventilated area.
Depends on the objective...........
Zaugg
8/12/2019 12:55pm
Have you tried calling ProTaper or ODI to see if they fit?

Maybe cross reference the part number for the '89 throttle and the '87. If they're the same part number I'm guessing the '89 would work on the '87.

Can't hurt to call the company or maybe the local Honda dealer to see if it's the same.

This is how I'd go about find the answer albeit I don't know the answer to your question.
Tracktor
8/12/2019 1:50pm
Thanks all for the suggestions. Period correct, when it comes to grips is not a concern to me. And I'm the only person I have to...

Buy OEM branded ODI's from KTM/Husky $13 on RMATV for lock ons...........
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
8/12/2019 2:08pm Edited Date/Time 8/12/2019 2:08pm

Tracktor wrote:
This. Comes with cams too.
captmoto
8/12/2019 2:45pm

Tracktor wrote:
Markee wrote:
This. Comes with cams too.
Do they work with Honda throttle housing?
8/12/2019 2:48pm
Zaugg wrote:
Have you tried calling ProTaper or ODI to see if they fit? Maybe cross reference the part number for the '89 throttle and the '87. If...
Have you tried calling ProTaper or ODI to see if they fit?

Maybe cross reference the part number for the '89 throttle and the '87. If they're the same part number I'm guessing the '89 would work on the '87.

Can't hurt to call the company or maybe the local Honda dealer to see if it's the same.

This is how I'd go about find the answer albeit I don't know the answer to your question.
This I had not thought of. I will cross reference. Thanks!
8/12/2019 2:54pm
Whatya boys think? Just took this picture. Thank you all for your help. I promise you I wouldn't have come this far without help from the VBT.

Post a reply to: Clamp on Grips

The Latest