Claiming rule?

Neil_Romero
Edited Date/Time 9/9/2018 2:57pm
Has there ever been a claiming rule in SX / MX?
|
Neil_Romero
1/30/2012 10:02pm
yes
When? Why was it discontinued?
It seems to make a lot of sense to me, but there must be some drawbacks that I'm not aware of?
EvanR127
1/30/2012 10:10pm
thats so 5 years ago............

Rule is still in effect.

The Shop

Neil_Romero
1/30/2012 10:21pm
Wouldn't that rule theoretically level the playing field and make the 250's a little less expensive?
If you're brave enough to enter a $100,00.00 works bike in a class that has a claiming rule then that's the risk you take.
No?
TerryK
1/30/2012 10:22pm
It almost happened a couple of times before Tripes RC250 was successfully claimed.

"AMA Claiming rule

The AMA claiming rule was originally written for dirt track racing to keep the equipment fair in a sport that was relatively static as far as equipment was concerned at that time. It was written long before motocross had arrived and long before the Japanese factories were developing very expensive works bikes for research and development that was supposed to filter down to the companies production bikes. AMA Championships equaled increased sales and while motocross in the US was relatively young at this time, it was growing at an exponential rate. During the seventies motocross was in a hyper-evolution phase with engine, chassis and suspension design. The factories were not only trying to win on Sunday and sell on Monday with their factory teams, they were competing against each other to build the best production bike to sell to the public. It was not uncommon for a production bike to be outdated in six months after it was released and at the works bike level this could occur on a week by week basis. The price of some of the Japanese works bikes in 1976 was approaching the price of the National median home value of $44,000.00. The Type 2 Honda's probably exceeded that while a production 125 sold for less than $1000.00. While all this was going on the claiming rule in the AMA rule book remained, in fact it was virtually forgotten until May 23rd 1976.

The rule stated that any rider in the race with another rider could purchase the bike the other rider was riding for a sum. In 1976 the sum for a 125 was $2500.00. If rider A wanted to own rider B's bike, both riders had to compete against each other in the same race. Rider A had 30 minutes from the time the checkered flag fell on the first place rider to notify the AMA referee of the claim of rider B's bike. He then had to give the Ref the required funds in the form of a Certified Check or Cash. If rider B wanted to keep his bike he could also file a claim on the bike, put up the cash and then there would be a lottery or drawing to decide who would get the bike. In 1976 the factories worked together to counter claim any bike that might be claimed by having all of their riders that were in the same race as the bike being claimed, file a claim on the bike. The mistake both riders made in 1976 was filing too soon. Had Boone waited till the last minute to file the claim on Hannah's OW27, He would have owned it."
1/31/2012 12:12am
TerryK wrote:
Done away with in the late 70s. Honda losing a $100,000 works bike for $3500.00 had a lot to do with it. Here's the actual bike...
Done away with in the late 70s. Honda losing a $100,000 works bike for $3500.00 had a lot to do with it.

Here's the actual bike: http://www.mxworksbike.com/Tripes_1979_RC250.htm
That's a pretty cool site.
TerryK
1/31/2012 5:52am
TerryK wrote:
Done away with in the late 70s. Honda losing a $100,000 works bike for $3500.00 had a lot to do with it. Here's the actual bike...
Done away with in the late 70s. Honda losing a $100,000 works bike for $3500.00 had a lot to do with it.

That's a pretty cool site.
Pretty cool is an understatement! Terry Good's collection and knowledge of works bikes is second to none.
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1623rd
1/31/2012 6:11am
One of Alessi's bikes from his amateur days got claimed. In fact it might have been the last race as an amateur?
dcg141
1/31/2012 6:14am
Didn't Mickey Boone claim one during the 70's.
TerryK
1/31/2012 6:14am
Mr. Ted wrote:
One of Alessi's bikes from his amateur days got claimed. In fact it might have been the last race as an amateur?
Thats not AMA Pro.
racerx541
1/31/2012 6:56am
Mr. Ted wrote:
Adam Chatfield claimed his Terry Varner built supermini at Loretta's in 2003. It wasn't pro AMA and went by a completely different set of rules, but it was a pretty big deal at the time.. Not to mention a pretty sweet nose thumbing towards an establishment where only a certain few riders could obtain a bike that was far and above anything else in the field. (Kinda reminds me of something..)
newmann
1/31/2012 7:08am
What, a rule limiting the amount of money spent on a bike in a regional up and coming entry level to the big league premier class in Supercross?? No way.....LOL
newmann
1/31/2012 8:54am
So does the rule still exist?
No, the rule doesn't exist as of 1986. They are all racing production based bikes. Production based frames and engine cases anyway...
Neil_Romero
1/31/2012 9:35am
In my opinion, this is something that the AMA could do to help the privateers in the 250 class. And it wouldn't cost anybody any money.
A common topic on all the forums is the plight of the privateer.
These guys can't make any money in that (250) class. This class is supposed to be the entry level class. But somewhere along the way the tables have turned. It's common knowledge that it is way more expensive to go racing in the 250 class as opposed to 450's.
So the trickle down effect is that you have teams that are completely avoiding this class which means less spots on real teams for the rookies moving up.
You also can see that some of the lower level pro's are making the night program in the 450 class with slower times than what it takes to make the night show in the 250's. At Oakland the 29-40th place qualifiers in the 450's would not have qualified in the 250's.
Seems to me, everybody in the 250 class would benefit from a claiming rule. Let's say the dollar amt. is $12K - this allows for a healthy race bike that is relatively attainable to most of the privateers. It's hard for me to see the negative, it even saves PC & Geico plenty of $$.
Switch
1/31/2012 10:48am Edited Date/Time 1/31/2012 10:49am
2 stroke Vs. 4 stroke in 3....2....1....
newmann
1/31/2012 10:55am
In my opinion, this is something that the AMA could do to help the privateers in the 250 class. And it wouldn't cost anybody any money...
In my opinion, this is something that the AMA could do to help the privateers in the 250 class. And it wouldn't cost anybody any money.
A common topic on all the forums is the plight of the privateer.
These guys can't make any money in that (250) class. This class is supposed to be the entry level class. But somewhere along the way the tables have turned. It's common knowledge that it is way more expensive to go racing in the 250 class as opposed to 450's.
So the trickle down effect is that you have teams that are completely avoiding this class which means less spots on real teams for the rookies moving up.
You also can see that some of the lower level pro's are making the night program in the 450 class with slower times than what it takes to make the night show in the 250's. At Oakland the 29-40th place qualifiers in the 450's would not have qualified in the 250's.
Seems to me, everybody in the 250 class would benefit from a claiming rule. Let's say the dollar amt. is $12K - this allows for a healthy race bike that is relatively attainable to most of the privateers. It's hard for me to see the negative, it even saves PC & Geico plenty of $$.
Never happen. The OEM's would take their toys and go home. Same thing DC preaches about the outdoors. You can't tell the OEM's how it's going to be when it is the OEM's pulling the strings.
1/31/2012 11:00am
newmann wrote:
Never happen. The OEM's would take their toys and go home. Same thing DC preaches about the outdoors. You can't tell the OEM's how it's going...
Never happen. The OEM's would take their toys and go home. Same thing DC preaches about the outdoors. You can't tell the OEM's how it's going to be when it is the OEM's pulling the strings.
I say let them go home then.
1/31/2012 11:02am
TerryK wrote:
Pretty cool is an understatement! Terry Good's collection and knowledge of works bikes is second to none.
Yeah, I've bookmarked it after checking out a little last night. Definitely one of the coolest moto sites I've seen. It's always cool to see the older bikes, and a knowledgeable take on them.
Neil_Romero
1/31/2012 11:33am
newmann wrote:
Never happen. The OEM's would take their toys and go home. Same thing DC preaches about the outdoors. You can't tell the OEM's how it's going...
The OEM's would still have the 450 class to pour money into if that's truly what they want to do. As it is, most of the Factories are looking for ways to spend less. True?
In this economy, who is this really going to hurt? The only guys that would be pissed would be the Geico and PC riders because their bikes would definitely be downgraded a bit. Might make for some really interesting racing.
JayCarpent
7/27/2012 2:07pm
TripleFive wrote:
Will anyone claim RC's bike at LL?
No. No chance of it happening, period. He doesn't have to agree to the claim and if he wishes can go into a bidding war on it. That bike will be going right back home with RC
zippy895
11/4/2012 4:54pm
this claiming thing confuses me.
the way i am reading it...if i race w/ my bike at a pro race and say pro racer guyb thats im my same race wants to buy it,if he notifys ref in time mentioned i have no say in the matter? i want to keep my bike.
hartebreak
Fantasy
169th
11/4/2012 5:40pm
zippy895 wrote:
this claiming thing confuses me. the way i am reading it...if i race w/ my bike at a pro race and say pro racer guyb thats...
the way i am reading it...if i race w/ my bike at a pro race and say pro racer guyb thats im my same race wants to buy it,if he notifys ref in time mentioned i have no say in the matter? i want to keep my bike.
That's exactly what it means. If you feel like risking a ton of money on a bike to have an advantage then you risk losing that bike. It really is a great way to ensure level playing fields.
MR. X
11/4/2012 6:14pm Edited Date/Time 11/4/2012 6:17pm
TerryK wrote:

Could you imagine his shit eating grin on his face the whole ride home with that bike i his truck ? I just realized this thread was started the last time a bike was successfully claimed in the pro ranks
zippy895
11/4/2012 6:16pm
zippy895 wrote:
this claiming thing confuses me. the way i am reading it...if i race w/ my bike at a pro race and say pro racer guyb thats...
hartebreak wrote:
That's exactly what it means. If you feel like risking a ton of money on a bike to have an advantage then you risk losing that...
That's exactly what it means. If you feel like risking a ton of money on a bike to have an advantage then you risk losing that bike. It really is a great way to ensure level playing fields.
kinda odd if you ask me.unless the starting price covers all cost to replace the bike the same way w/labor.and then the down time on a new build or bike availability for that matter.
but if its a works bike,one off handmade parts.who would replace/repair those items if they wore out.to whom ever bought it.
MxWaRLoRd
1/25/2018 8:48pm
dcg141 wrote:
Didn't Mickey Boone claim one during the 70's.
Mickey Boone started it all, yea the loop hole was there but leave it to some loser jack wad to screw things up for everybody that year and for the following future of WORKS hardware, the sport was never the same! What they should have done was put Mickey is a Porta Potti and rolled him down a hill!

Post a reply to: Claiming rule?

The Latest