Chinese knock-off mx products

Lastander
Edited Date/Time 7/3/2019 5:19pm
I dont support these companies and whatnot, but i was intrerested to see how good the copies were.
The dirtier pair was about 30$, as any other pair of gloves and i have used them since spring.
The Wish ones (with the JS7 tagLaughing ) were 5$.

They look kinda the same, some differences as you can see but nothing major, some stiching were crooked and they had a small hole at on of the fingers.

They are all over wish / aliexpress and so on, can the ”right” company sue them and get anywhere or is it just a dead end?

|
kb228
6/28/2019 5:46am
Not 100% sure, but ive heard many times that suing a company overseas and winning is a pipe dream.

As far as the products go, theres some stuff like brake levers and rearsets and even some exhausts for street bikes that are ACTUALLY really good and have a lower price than real brands.

6/28/2019 8:07am Edited Date/Time 6/28/2019 8:10am
That's a daily business practice in china they'll do it to anything they can make money off of. What you need to look for is are the materials the same not just the look somewhere a corner was cut.
GODZILLA
6/28/2019 9:58am
China doesn't give crap about intellectual property.
And your gloves are probably straight out of the same factory as the "real" ones...
bf884
6/28/2019 11:30am
Not all but some of the products are the same as the real deal. Hell, probably even come from the same factory. Yes there has been china junk through the years but very few of these gear companies are producing this stuff in house and use china. Now quality control is a different story and is probably the main difference between say "thor" and "china thor".

The Shop

kage173
6/28/2019 11:31am
I bought some stuff off Wish pretty early on. It took months to come in and was really hit or miss. Some stuff was fine, but other stuff was total garbage (even for being dirt cheap) or the fitting was off.

Just a few weeks ago, I needed some shoes for the track so I got on there and order some nice sneakers. They were perfect. I also ordered some Oakley knockoffs and they are great. Everything arrived fairly quickly. Now I'm looking at ordering some tools off of there and I'm happy to see they have some moto gear. The thing is that these are the same factories that are making the brand name stuff. People bag on Chinese quality, but EVERYTHING is made in China.

I vary in my thinking on this, but I think I don't really have any qualms on buying the knockoffs since it was the brands that shipped all of our jobs to China to improve their margin.

As far as your question, maybe a Nike type company could do something, but only about the shoes. Most companies would be totally wasting their time.
fourfourone
6/28/2019 11:33am
some stuff is made in the same factories. We are just dumb enough to pay 30 dollars for a 2 dollar pair of gloves and 100 dollars for 15 dollar goggles.
Lastander
6/28/2019 11:35am
kage173 wrote:
I bought some stuff off Wish pretty early on. It took months to come in and was really hit or miss. Some stuff was fine, but...
I bought some stuff off Wish pretty early on. It took months to come in and was really hit or miss. Some stuff was fine, but other stuff was total garbage (even for being dirt cheap) or the fitting was off.

Just a few weeks ago, I needed some shoes for the track so I got on there and order some nice sneakers. They were perfect. I also ordered some Oakley knockoffs and they are great. Everything arrived fairly quickly. Now I'm looking at ordering some tools off of there and I'm happy to see they have some moto gear. The thing is that these are the same factories that are making the brand name stuff. People bag on Chinese quality, but EVERYTHING is made in China.

I vary in my thinking on this, but I think I don't really have any qualms on buying the knockoffs since it was the brands that shipped all of our jobs to China to improve their margin.

As far as your question, maybe a Nike type company could do something, but only about the shoes. Most companies would be totally wasting their time.
Im not bagging china about their quality, i know that 99% of the stuff we wear is manufactured there...
Dont agree with you on buying counterfeit products though, im a RayBan enthusiast and i hate seeing these fucking knock-offs, same as the oakley fakes..
Tuna
6/28/2019 12:02pm
Just installed the Acerbis knock off chain guide. Hardware is pretty junky. Fit is not perfect but it’s all lined up ok. Noisy!

Not sure the material. I added loctite to all the fasteners. Took forever to get here, contacted seller and he sent me another one due to delay. A day later the first arrived in the mail so I have another back up coming. I will be keeping an eye on the first few rides and see how it holds up.
fourfourone
6/28/2019 12:06pm
Tuna wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/06/28/357097/s1200_D6E855BA_E5E8_42F8_BDE0_FA977881BA1D.jpg[/img]

I would not trust that.
Tuna
6/28/2019 1:13pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2019 1:14pm
Looks like the real Acerbis one I had. I will try it out and see what happens. I know others running the same one without issue.
HenryA
6/28/2019 1:19pm
Went to a "fake market" with my colleague in Shanghai, he invested in a pair of Bose QC35 for 30$. Sounds and feels like a carbon copy of the real ones. It also came with a warranty label and a serial number that you can register at the Bose website. Wonder how well that works lol
Berni
6/28/2019 2:37pm
I have some shit from aliexpres...

- Two pair of 100% accuri googles. They look the same as the authentic ones. I bought the second pair after seeing the good quality of the first pair.... the lenses are not interchangable between them, the holes for the pins differ slightely

- 100% gloves, just have used them once but they seem ok.

- Seven mx shirt. I have not seen a real Seven shirt as they are not ready available here in Spain so do not know how close it is to the real one, but quality of the copy is good and fit is true to size

- TLD mx pants. Quality is average, fit is way to big, had to give them away to a friend

- Fox 360 mx gear.... Quality seems good (just have used once), pants are an exact copy of the original, shirt differs a little bit. Pant is true to size, and shirt is bigger than it should. Now a friend of mine ordered same gear from same seller, just different colour... his shirt is exactly as the original one and fits true to size.

So my experience is that you can find good and bad stuff although my experience has been good enough, just it is hit and miss, and even being the same seller, you can get different size/copy/quality even if it is supposed to be the same product.

For my the truth is that I just buy shit in aliexpress because you see it there, just one click away and dirty cheap, so it is easy to buy even if I do not need it, then half the time I have given it away to some friend because I really did not need it. If I really need something, I go to the authentic product.
Tryhard
6/28/2019 3:04pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2019 3:05pm
A better percentage of the stuff being sold from these websites despite what some people say is in fact the real deal . And is being manufactured in the same facilities as the real stuff . Its been happening in the guitar industry for years now . The companies who are contracted to manufacturer it also make their own with slight changes and or diff materials and or some cases the same exact materials right beside the 7 other brands that they make for the USA companies .

I'm all for supporting the sport and the sponsers , but im not for being robbed ... the prices on some of the mx gear is getting ridiculous ...especially when its being proved how much cheaper it can be made and still turn a profit on it .
stone881
6/28/2019 3:39pm
Great attitude guys...you ever think that these companies are paying money to develop, market and support the sport? ChiCom ain't doing shit!

If you want to see moto companies go away, just keep buying knock offs. You'll look great in your Red Star of China brand jersey in one color, prison grey., bought at Walmart. While you're there pick up a CumOfSumYunguy Motorcross 5000 dirtbike for 2k, I hope it breaks in half when you hit the first bump.

You are the same types who wouldn't buy an Alta if it had superior technology , was made by your neighbor, but costs a little more.
Motohead279
6/28/2019 6:41pm
Everyone wants a good deal but are these Chinese knock offs supporting Supercross and motocross? Are they sponsoring riders with gear and salaries?

Are the Chinese companies spending tens of thousands of dollars On testing and development of new product and safety?

Natester551v
6/28/2019 6:49pm
Everyone wants a good deal but are these Chinese knock offs supporting Supercross and motocross? Are they sponsoring riders with gear and salaries? Are the Chinese...
Everyone wants a good deal but are these Chinese knock offs supporting Supercross and motocross? Are they sponsoring riders with gear and salaries?

Are the Chinese companies spending tens of thousands of dollars On testing and development of new product and safety?

they're thieves - plain and simple. They're stealing intellectual property, counterfeiting it, profiting from it, undermining legit companies.

This whole rationalization of "well, Fox or Spy or Shift or (insert your favorite brand here) is complete and utter bullshit. Anyone who buys knock-offs is contributing to theft.

If the Chinese want to come up with their own designs and people want to buy them - fine. Otherwise it's no different than walking into your local store and lifting something...
kb228
6/28/2019 7:00pm
stone881 wrote:
Great attitude guys...you ever think that these companies are paying money to develop, market and support the sport? ChiCom ain't doing shit! If you want to...
Great attitude guys...you ever think that these companies are paying money to develop, market and support the sport? ChiCom ain't doing shit!

If you want to see moto companies go away, just keep buying knock offs. You'll look great in your Red Star of China brand jersey in one color, prison grey., bought at Walmart. While you're there pick up a CumOfSumYunguy Motorcross 5000 dirtbike for 2k, I hope it breaks in half when you hit the first bump.

You are the same types who wouldn't buy an Alta if it had superior technology , was made by your neighbor, but costs a little more.
Its not just moto companies at risk. This issue isnt consumer related. Trading needs to be more strict on an international level to prevent knockoffs from destroying real companies who develop products.
rob162
6/28/2019 7:00pm
Quite a bit of the "knock off gear" is gear that had a QC issue when made and is sold through places like Alibaba.
Kind of like Ross, Marshals or TJ Maxx
Johnny Oz
6/28/2019 7:06pm
l use Chinese Fox Bomber gloves, half price from ebay, they look identical to shop stocked items. l also use no-name goggles 1/10th of the price of a name brand, they work good enough, l keep my gearbag stocked with new ones; ready for any friends that need a pair. They are cheaper than just a lens from a name brand; if they get scratched; bang .... a new set :-)
yak651
Fantasy
214th
6/28/2019 8:13pm
stone881 wrote:
Great attitude guys...you ever think that these companies are paying money to develop, market and support the sport? ChiCom ain't doing shit! If you want to...

kb228 wrote:
Its not just moto companies at risk. This issue isnt consumer related. Trading needs to be more strict on an international level to prevent knockoffs from...
Its not just moto companies at risk. This issue isnt consumer related. Trading needs to be more strict on an international level to prevent knockoffs from destroying real companies who develop products.
Instead of selling out to keep share holders happy and moving production overseas, companies could've kept production in USA and wouldn't need to worry about China production running a couple 1000 extra set of gear to sell on their own...of course might have to cut CEO pay a little so middle class American could afford to buy it
kage173
6/28/2019 8:32pm
kage173 wrote:
I bought some stuff off Wish pretty early on. It took months to come in and was really hit or miss. Some stuff was fine, but...

Lastander wrote:
Im not bagging china about their quality, i know that 99% of the stuff we wear is manufactured there... Dont agree with you on buying counterfeit...
Im not bagging china about their quality, i know that 99% of the stuff we wear is manufactured there...
Dont agree with you on buying counterfeit products though, im a RayBan enthusiast and i hate seeing these fucking knock-offs, same as the oakley fakes..
Fair enough and up to you. But just know that if any RayBan employee could be outsourced to China in the mid 90s, they didnt have half the loyalty to that person that you have to them.
life_of_jaze
6/28/2019 8:45pm
Lastander wrote:
I dont support these companies and whatnot, but i was intrerested to see how good the copies were. The dirtier pair was about 30$, as any...
I dont support these companies and whatnot, but i was intrerested to see how good the copies were.
The dirtier pair was about 30$, as any other pair of gloves and i have used them since spring.
The Wish ones (with the JS7 tagLaughing ) were 5$.

They look kinda the same, some differences as you can see but nothing major, some stiching were crooked and they had a small hole at on of the fingers.

They are all over wish / aliexpress and so on, can the ”right” company sue them and get anywhere or is it just a dead end?

Winning and getting anywhere near the money spent to sue is almost impossible....
life_of_jaze
6/28/2019 8:46pm
GODZILLA wrote:
China doesn't give crap about intellectual property.
And your gloves are probably straight out of the same factory as the "real" ones...
Exactly
kage173
6/28/2019 8:49pm
stone881 wrote:

I'm so confused. You start by defending the companies who shipped all the manufacturing overseas then you end with an example of a product made in the US. Those two things dont jive.
kb228
6/28/2019 8:55pm
stone881 wrote:

kb228 wrote:
Its not just moto companies at risk. This issue isnt consumer related. Trading needs to be more strict on an international level to prevent knockoffs from...
yak651 wrote:
Instead of selling out to keep share holders happy and moving production overseas, companies could've kept production in USA and wouldn't need to worry about China...
Instead of selling out to keep share holders happy and moving production overseas, companies could've kept production in USA and wouldn't need to worry about China production running a couple 1000 extra set of gear to sell on their own...of course might have to cut CEO pay a little so middle class American could afford to buy it
CEO pay and share holders has nothing to do with it. All you do is reverse engineer products and reproduce them. Even if CEOs made 50k a year and the entire company was american based, someone in china will order something and break out the calipers to remake it cheaper and undercut us anyways. If companies produced everything here it would be even more expensive and likely wouldnt sell as much. Look at harbor freight tools vs american made snap on or cornwell tools. Why buy a nice american $500 4 ton jack when harbor freight has them on sale for $80 and they're actually great jacks? What if that $500 jack was made in china and costs $200 at the store? Sure the profit margin is less but youll sell way more because the quality is a bit better but the price isnt DRASTICALLY more expensive. People will consider buying them.

Until some kind of international patent law comes into play, this will always be a problem. Right now ARC levers isnt able to do a whole lot about some chinese dudes in their garage copying their product and selling it on ebay for $20.
agn5009
6/28/2019 9:11pm
I support the mx companies 100% of the time. But when they want me to pay $35+ for a damn clutch lever I start to ask myself why. They obviously don’t support us riders when they’re charging so much for products that cost almost nothing for them to make.

Sorry, I bent my clutch lever today and had to vent.
Pat327
6/28/2019 9:40pm
Support the companies that keep our tiny, insignificant hobby alive and well. Buy the real thing from your local dealer or your favorite online retailer. These are the people that are investing money and time back into our sport. And not only because it makes business sense, but because they love it just as much as we do.

Also, these knock-off products are very, very unlikely to be from the same factories as the legitimate stuff. Overseas vendors are not going to jeopardize their close, longstanding, profitable relationships with gear companies just so they can sell some product through the back door for pennies on the dollar. Genuine motocross apparel is not as cheap to produce as you might think.

Anyway, I'll step down from my soapbox.

Post a reply to: Chinese knock-off mx products

The Latest