Chevy Express VS Extended Ford van

Rickyisms
Edited Date/Time 7/10/2020 9:33am
Looking to make a van my DD and moto rig. Would like an extended so I could fit two bikes in the back as well as a folding bench behind the backseat for camping. Which one would you pick and why?
|
walent215
7/9/2020 10:38am
I cant comment on the Ford as i havent owned one but our 98 GMC Savanna 3500 Extendo with 200k+ miles was an awesome van to travel to the races in! Plenty of room for bikes, gear, fuel, tools and we had a foldout RV bed in the front section we slept on.It had a 454 and we would get around 14 on the highway which isnt that horrible considering the load etc. I would not hesitate to buy one , even with high mileage! Good luck in your search!
Mr. Afterbar
7/9/2020 10:48am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2020 10:48am
I’m more of a ford guy, but I recommend the Express. We have a fleet of them at work and they are solid. I also have an extended express moto van that I have been using as my DD and no complaints here. The Chevy has a longer frame which doesn’t look so weird and I’ve also heard they are slightly taller than the Fords. I had a Ford but it was 15 years ago and haggard. I can’t recall the height difference.
NTGMC
7/9/2020 12:47pm
I had a 2001 extended E250 ford van with 275k miles. Other than general wear and tear, it never gave me any issues and I still see it at the track from time to time. I currently have an 08 Express 2500 reg. wheel base as my "moto wagon" with 130k miles. I highly recommend the longer wheel base, but I couldn't pass up the deal on my current unit. Both vans have worked well for my weekly trips, and I agree that the Express seems to be slightly taller. There's no question that the Express drives better and engine is more sound, but my E250 had double the mileage. I would purchase whichever van is the best deal; all things considered. If you go with the express, be ware of the skin cancer they're prone to on the hood!
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
7/9/2020 1:11pm
I’ve had great luck with my ‘02 Chevy Express. It’s not the extended, I still get 2 bikes no problem and it has a 2nd row seat. (Which I never use to sit in)

I’m going to be buying a 144 hi roof Sprinter here shortly, because I want the height inside, but the 170 is just too long for me.

I’m getting between 10-14 MGP 5.7L Motor

The Shop

brocster
7/9/2020 1:17pm
I have had both fords and Chevy’s. Regular length with second seat. Prefer the drive of the fords but rather the tad bit more of height in the Chevy/GMC. Next will be another GM regular length or if I can get my frugal ass to pull the trigger on a medium length medium height Sprinter that would be awesome.
7/9/2020 1:23pm
Ford has a roll/flex/sway when turning at speed because of the rack and pinion I believe. I’ve added steering stabilizer to E350 and Chevy still handles better without that sway at high speeds. Chevy is stable when driving. As far as engine life, Ford all day. Chevy offers AWD. Cargo area is the same.
Cygrace74
7/9/2020 1:25pm
Currently have a 2012 E-150 extended 4.6L V8 with the 7 lug wheels which is the heavier duty drivetrain. Has 190,000 on it, 116 of that by me in the last 4 years. Consistently gets 20 mpg and I can carry three bikes and have a futon up front as a second row/ bed
NATEP231
7/9/2020 1:59pm
Ain’t never heard someone say “hey look at that badass Ford van!” At the track
Spooner
7/9/2020 6:29pm
Why aren't you considering the Transit?
brocster
7/9/2020 6:41pm
NATEP231 wrote:
Actually got told that 2 times Friday before last...at the track
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
7/9/2020 8:28pm
NATEP231 wrote:
Ok, that’s pretty funny. But I’ve seen some really nice ones. They were “THE” Van for most moto vans, for many years. Or a Box Van (also a Ford)
friday10
7/9/2020 9:15pm
350,000 on our GMC Savana, original engine and trans, still gittin' my boy to the track! Bought it for 5 k 10 years ago, best money I ever spent on a vehicle.
NeedMoto
7/9/2020 9:28pm
Had both preferred the Chevy, plenty of room. It was quieter and rode better. Also a tad lower to the ground, made it easier for loading bikes. The Ford extended was just to long.
Team Ideal
7/10/2020 4:54am
I've got 510K on a 06 Express. Been from coast to coast and tip of Texas to Niagara Falls. Still drive it every day. I have driven a Ford, I think the Chevy handles better. Either will do what you want and will last a long time if you take care of it.
Zeke27G
7/10/2020 6:59am
Bought my '07 Chevy Express G3500 6.0L 15 passenger in '08 used with 22k miles and I'm currently at 140k miles, with the plan to drive this thing 'til it dies! Just had new KYB shocks installed all around, all the worn parts in the front end replaced and the inevitable broken exhaust manifold bolts replaced with new gaskets. I use it as a family beach wagon and have used it to haul bikes and our 19' toy hauler as well. Knock on wood, it's a great van, the drive train is solid and my only complaints would be, gas mileage and all of the interior plastic parts are really brittle prone to breaking and cracking. Other than that, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat!
motomike137
7/10/2020 8:11am
I am a GM guy so I am biased but I have driven many miles in both and I'll take the GM van all day long. As one poster said they seem more solid and my biggest pet peeve with the Ford is the vague steering. On the highway the Ford just never seems to settle in and you feel like your chasing it constantly with wheel adjustments.
MotofactioN
7/10/2020 8:27am
langhammx wrote:
I’ve had great luck with my ‘02 Chevy Express. It’s not the extended, I still get 2 bikes no problem and it has a 2nd row...
I’ve had great luck with my ‘02 Chevy Express. It’s not the extended, I still get 2 bikes no problem and it has a 2nd row seat. (Which I never use to sit in)

I’m going to be buying a 144 hi roof Sprinter here shortly, because I want the height inside, but the 170 is just too long for me.

Is it a pain in the ass to load and unload the bike into that? I love the idea of a van like this, but at 6’3” I just imagine cursing a bunch while loading and unloading lol.
-eagle-
7/10/2020 8:32am
GM
They handle better because gm changes the wheelbase; where fords just hang the space off the back.

I had the ford, adding shocks and a leaf spring helps.
Also, if you get back into the late 90s and mid 2000s they spit plugs.
7/10/2020 8:37am
I have workrd for FedEx and been a mechanic for many many years. do not buy the Chevy van, they're absolute junk and very poorly made. The Ford van is much more robust parts are better made and they will last a lot longer. only reason why some of the contractors bought the Chevy van just cuz they were so much cheaper. And they always regretted it.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
7/10/2020 8:38am
langhammx wrote:
I’ve had great luck with my ‘02 Chevy Express. It’s not the extended, I still get 2 bikes no problem and it has a 2nd row...

Is it a pain in the ass to load and unload the bike into that? I love the idea of a van like this, but at...
Is it a pain in the ass to load and unload the bike into that? I love the idea of a van like this, but at 6’3” I just imagine cursing a bunch while loading and unloading lol.
I’ll say this.... I’ve gotten use to it, But it really isn’t that big of deal. I’m 5’10” so I can’t speak for your height difference. This is my first van and I’ll never go back to a truck.

I am looking forward to getting into a new Sprinter, mainly for the increased height inside the van
MotofactioN
7/10/2020 9:23am
langhammx wrote:

Is it a pain in the ass to load and unload the bike into that? I love the idea of a van like this, but at...
langhammx wrote:
I’ll say this.... I’ve gotten use to it, But it really isn’t that big of deal. I’m 5’10” so I can’t speak for your height difference...
I’ll say this.... I’ve gotten use to it, But it really isn’t that big of deal. I’m 5’10” so I can’t speak for your height difference. This is my first van and I’ll never go back to a truck.

I am looking forward to getting into a new Sprinter, mainly for the increased height inside the van
I feel you. I have this flimsy, aluminum folding ramp that I use to unload/load my bike into my truck. Everyone is always saying how sketchy and slippery it is. At first it was. And I hated it. Then I got used to it and I’m cool with it now Cool

Haha. So kinda like that I suppose. What’s your favorite thing about a “motovan?” Being able to store so much stuff in it, like a garage on the go? Or just the fact that if you had to, you could sleep in it?

Harder to sleep in the smaller ones, but it could be done Cool
TJ FRG
7/10/2020 9:25am
I say ford just due to them being way more of them out on the road (atleast where I’m at) so if something goes bad on a road trip, more likely to have parts. I’ve had no issues with my 2 ford vans. One extended, one not.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
7/10/2020 9:33am
langhammx wrote:
I’ll say this.... I’ve gotten use to it, But it really isn’t that big of deal. I’m 5’10” so I can’t speak for your height difference...

I feel you. I have this flimsy, aluminum folding ramp that I use to unload/load my bike into my truck. Everyone is always saying how sketchy...
I feel you. I have this flimsy, aluminum folding ramp that I use to unload/load my bike into my truck. Everyone is always saying how sketchy and slippery it is. At first it was. And I hated it. Then I got used to it and I’m cool with it now Cool

Haha. So kinda like that I suppose. What’s your favorite thing about a “motovan?” Being able to store so much stuff in it, like a garage on the go? Or just the fact that if you had to, you could sleep in it?

Harder to sleep in the smaller ones, but it could be done Cool
The best parts of owning a van, versus a truck

* you can load up the night before
* before/ after riding, no worries about someone stealing something out of the bed of truck
* getting dressed inside the van in cold/ hot weather
* can keep all the essentials left on the van, no need to unload after every ride
* if you need to sleep in your van, it can be done
* if it’s raining out, your stuff stays dry until you get where you’re going
* the bike being inside the van, keeps it out of the sin
7/10/2020 9:33am
Havnt read the other comments but from my experience having owned both the gm has a better ride. Ford gets their extended length by extending behind the axle. Gm has a longer wheelbase so that smooths our the ride. I loved the 7.3 diesel in my ford but if you can get a duramax gm the engine is quieter in the cabin. Ford seemed like it would pull more weight trailer wise but that extension behind the axle also gave it a little more tail wag sensation.
kawboy627
7/10/2020 9:34am
Chevy is going to have the better engine no doubt, assuming you’re talking about 4.8/5.3/6.0. Im not a huge fan of the ford 4.6 or 5.4. I’d love to have a diesel ford van though

Post a reply to: Chevy Express VS Extended Ford van

The Latest