Chest protector/neck brace - which do you ride with?

Edited Date/Time 11/29/2018 4:18am
Thought this would be a good idea for a poll. I started riding big bikes around the time the Leatt started to become popular, and have ridden with a neck brace ever since, currently with an Atlas Air. Bought a Fox Proframe chest protector thinking they would be somewhat compatible after some research, but they don’t seem to fit very well together. Curious to see if you guys prefer one over the other, or both, or neither.
Poll

Which of these do you wear when you ride?

Choices
|
11/24/2018 6:03pm
Right now I have a leatt protector and ancient leatt brace, getting an atlas before next season. I plan on trimming the protector if necessary so the brace works properly
11/25/2018 4:12am
A-Stars A4. I cut off the plastic in the back and mounted the same foam that is used on the best rated back protectors (www.sas-tec.de).
mxbrian15
11/25/2018 5:12am Edited Date/Time 11/25/2018 5:32am
Currently run an atlas air neck brace and atlas defender chest protector. I like the combo, but really wish I could run an alpinestars A1 or Troy Lee CP5900. That’s the one downfall of the atlas brace is lack of compatibility with chest protectors due to the different design compared to other braces.
bigmaico
11/25/2018 5:18am
I had both my leatt chest protector & early Leatt neck brace on when I hit a tree on June 2nd.

That’s why im still here, without the neck brace I would have broken my neck & I would have been dead before I hit the ground!

When I hit the tree my Fox helmet folded & the snorkel left a deep gash in the bridge of my nose.

The neck brace limited the movement of the helmet & kept it from snapping my neck like a twig.

Please, Please learn to ware all your gear including a neck brace, it just might save your life!

It saved mine!

The Shop

Tuzzo123
11/25/2018 6:06am
I use the Leatt 5.5 and a Fox Proframe. The combination is so comfortable I forget I have a brace on!
fewsy
11/25/2018 6:12am
#434 wrote:
A-Stars A4. I cut off the plastic in the back and mounted the same foam that is used on the best rated back protectors (www.sas-tec.de).
Can you post a pic of your set up? I've trimmed some of plastic off my A4 to fit the Atlas but it's left a bit unprotected.
11/25/2018 7:03am
Tuzzo123 wrote:
I use the Leatt 5.5 and a Fox Proframe. The combination is so comfortable I forget I have a brace on!
So your Leatt goes under the Proframe to fit directly against your body, right? Or do you have it sitting on top of it?
11/25/2018 7:46am
#434 wrote:
fewsy wrote:
Can you post a pic of your set up? I've trimmed some of plastic off my A4 to fit the Atlas but it's left a bit...
Can you post a pic of your set up? I've trimmed some of plastic off my A4 to fit the Atlas but it's left a bit unprotected.
I will, but give me a day.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
11/25/2018 7:54am
bigmaico wrote:
I had both my leatt chest protector & early Leatt neck brace on when I hit a tree on June 2nd. That’s why im still here...
I had both my leatt chest protector & early Leatt neck brace on when I hit a tree on June 2nd.

That’s why im still here, without the neck brace I would have broken my neck & I would have been dead before I hit the ground!

When I hit the tree my Fox helmet folded & the snorkel left a deep gash in the bridge of my nose.

The neck brace limited the movement of the helmet & kept it from snapping my neck like a twig.

Please, Please learn to ware all your gear including a neck brace, it just might save your life!

It saved mine!
Without a doubt, neck braces have prevented far more injuries, than they have caused. But when a piece of safety equipment actually causes unneeded injuries, people start doubting the piece of equipment.
The problem with neck braces, is the fact that in certain crashes that would normally have no injuries, have left riders with a broken collarbone or fractured vertebrae in their back.
I’ve tried all the braces and the Atlas brace is the only one that worked for me. It sits lower and doesn’t interfere with my helmet while riding. Although I’ve chose to not wear it, I recommend trying the Atlas, if you’re going to wear one.
My $.02
11/25/2018 8:33am
I use the Thor under jersey protector . I because that allmost all the chest protectors i wear hit my helmet.

Had two Fly racing chest protector ,and both of the broke the strap mounts off. Had a Fox airframe would move when jumping.

Have yet to find any modern chest protector that fit as good as my 1998 UFO protector
mxbrian15
11/25/2018 10:25am
Atlas Air and Atlas Defender. Works great
Do you wear the defender over or under the jersey? Off-road or moto mostly?
Turbojez
11/25/2018 12:00pm
Fox raptor chest protector. I have an atlas air brace, but for reasons I cannot explain I only remember that it's in my gear bag when flying head first to the ground. Every time I get back up I promise myself to never ride without it, only to break that promise the next ride. I had some bad luck with EVS R4 as it hit me in the throat one time, and I had a hard time breathing afterwards and it hurt like hell. Atlas Air stays in place though, EVS was all around the place in a crash.
UGOTBIT
Fantasy
1724th
11/25/2018 3:37pm
I use a Leatt 5.5 HD chest protector. I really enjoy wearing it, fits great and doesn’t do anything weird. Offers flank protection, Super comfortable, could be considered on the warm side. I removed the shoulder cups and wear it under my jersey.
Johnny Ringo
11/25/2018 3:47pm
Atlas Air and Atlas Defender. Works great
mxbrian15 wrote:
Do you wear the defender over or under the jersey? Off-road or moto mostly?
I’ve tried it both ways, both with the back plate and the strap. Currently I’m running under the jersey with the back plate. Moto and off road. Works great!
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
11/25/2018 5:20pm
Turbojez wrote:
Fox raptor chest protector. I have an atlas air brace, but for reasons I cannot explain I only remember that it's in my gear bag when...
Fox raptor chest protector. I have an atlas air brace, but for reasons I cannot explain I only remember that it's in my gear bag when flying head first to the ground. Every time I get back up I promise myself to never ride without it, only to break that promise the next ride. I had some bad luck with EVS R4 as it hit me in the throat one time, and I had a hard time breathing afterwards and it hurt like hell. Atlas Air stays in place though, EVS was all around the place in a crash.
This is why I stopped wearing one. I never wore mine with the strap, but I don’t see it helping in my situation. I had mine catch a branch on a trail ride and it about crushed my Adam’s Apple.
pete24
11/25/2018 5:46pm
all you guys that cut oor don't like your chest pro with a neck brace , havnt looked at the HRP LT series chest protectors they are the first and possibly only chest pro designed for a neck brace. and they work very well
TE333
11/25/2018 8:49pm
Leatt 4.5 Chest Protector & Leatt 4.5 Neck Brace. They are very comfortable when worn together.
TE333
11/25/2018 8:53pm
pete24 wrote:
all you guys that cut oor don't like your chest pro with a neck brace , havnt looked at the HRP LT series chest protectors they...
all you guys that cut oor don't like your chest pro with a neck brace , havnt looked at the HRP LT series chest protectors they are the first and possibly only chest pro designed for a neck brace. and they work very well
Check out Leatt, designed to work together. The best fitting CP and NB I have ever felt.
spike
11/26/2018 5:06am
i ride with the alpinestars a-10. i really love it and hardly notice it while riding. great fit and ventilation and a lot of protection (getting old)

SOAB_465
11/26/2018 8:51am
7IPD is a mtb protection company, that makes an under protector quite a bit like that a-10, and it's got removable padding for where the atlas or leatt sit on you chest and back. I wear it with an Atlas and it fits better than anything else I've tried
11/26/2018 8:58am
I wear the Fox Titan armour under my shirt & a Leatt 5.5 neck brace, super comfortable, brace sits on my shoulders as it should do. I wear the straps to hold the brace in place.
mauidex
11/26/2018 9:53am
pete24 wrote:
all you guys that cut oor don't like your chest pro with a neck brace , havnt looked at the HRP LT series chest protectors they...
Really?!?!? They are still in business?? Haven’t heard or seen anything from them in years!!
YZDAD
Fantasy
1776th
11/26/2018 10:20am
pete24 wrote:
mauidex wrote:
Really?!?!? They are still in business?? Haven’t heard or seen anything from them in years!!
The HRP LT is what I wear with a Leatt 6.5 brace.
Froggy76
11/29/2018 3:54am
Does anybody use an Alpinestars A10 with a atlas neck brace by any chance?

I m looking at buying a neck brace and already have the A10. The obvious choice is Alpinestars Neck Brace but they seem bulky.

Local dealer does not carry atlas so hard to try both with the a10 for a comparison.

Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated

Regards
Twigster
11/29/2018 4:18am
Leatt 3DF airfit CP, don't run a brace mostly because I'm 5'5" and my neck is so short I can't fit one under my lid and turn my head. I think they work great if you are 'normal' shaped, not so well if you're a pocket tank.
WEAL
11/29/2018 2:57pm
Leatt CP and NB or Ortema vest and NB

Post a reply to: Chest protector/neck brace - which do you ride with?

The Latest