Chest Protectors: Love or Hate em?

GODMODE
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:17pm
how many of you ride with chest protectors? I personally hate them, they make me feel restricted, but i have friends who swear by them, and won't ride without one. what are your thoughts on them, and what is a good one that will go with a leatt neckbrace? (i've broken, and cracked several ribs before, and so i'm thinking about getting one, just to be safe)
|
ATKpilot99
2/22/2011 6:05pm
I've always worn a chest protector until last year when I started wearing a Leatt. I went without the chest pro a few times and it just didn't feel right to me. I'll be looking for a good protector to go along with the brace this season. Leatt makes their own chest protector but the new EVS looks good to me also.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/22/2011 6:05pm
The kid in your sig now wears a chest protector, Leatt, and a helmet. True story.
iudi2006
Fantasy
229th
2/22/2011 6:08pm
I've been wearing one ever since i got on a bike when i was 5. Every time i ride without it it almost feels like i'm naked. There's times where i'm taking roost that i couldn't imagine being without one too. I'd recommend getting one, After a few times it'll feel natural.
86honda
2/22/2011 6:16pm
I changed from a Thor roost protector to the new 661 under roost protector. It is very comfortable with a under armor cooler. It does the job too because im a crappy starter and a 450 slings some mean roost.

The Shop

sec114
2/22/2011 6:31pm
i wear a fox and cant imagine a day without one. as far as sizing of fox, i am a small fella at 145lbs and 5'7" and wear a large and it feels perfect.
motomental1
2/22/2011 6:36pm
seen a kid well 23 year old last summer do one of those, ill just do one more ride, and did it without his chest protector on. came up short on an up hill double, rebound sent him off the bike but when he came back down left foot peg went through his abdomin like a ice cream scooper just above his belly button. he's ok now but 5 years to heal. said he wished he would have never takin that last ride without his chest protection. and i myself went for a belly slide like a 747 landing. dirt was hard pack, went at least 20 feet by what i was told . i always wear my cheast protector .but to each his own.
Indy mxer
2/22/2011 6:37pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2011 6:38pm
Unfortunately, I've taken some big hits over the years, and I wouldn't ride without one.
I know they can't prevent all injuries, but I do think the help.
Highsider
2/22/2011 6:41pm
I have always taken my chest protector very seriously.

Please know it will not prevent all tragedies.Sad
hardeight
2/22/2011 6:41pm
They suck. Everytime i have worn one they carried me to the hospital. Havent gone without one. Will never wear one again!
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/22/2011 6:44pm
hardeight wrote:
They suck. Everytime i have worn one they carried me to the hospital. Havent gone without one. Will never wear one again!
I think there's some missing info here. Were you injured because you were wearing the chest protector? Or it just happened that every time you wore one, it coincided with a bad crash?
blake76
2/22/2011 6:45pm
i used to wear one until the neck braces came out, now i cant get them to fit right. i have zip tied them to the neck brace and it feels heavy and uncomfortable so i go without.
sec114
2/22/2011 6:50pm
Indy mxer wrote:
Unfortunately, I've taken some big hits over the years, and I wouldn't ride without one. I know they can't prevent all injuries, but I do think...
Unfortunately, I've taken some big hits over the years, and I wouldn't ride without one.
I know they can't prevent all injuries, but I do think the help.
also 450 roost damn sure hurts worse without one.
redrider400
2/22/2011 7:05pm
GODMODE wrote:
how many of you ride with chest protectors? I personally hate them, they make me feel restricted, but i have friends who swear by them, and...
how many of you ride with chest protectors? I personally hate them, they make me feel restricted, but i have friends who swear by them, and won't ride without one. what are your thoughts on them, and what is a good one that will go with a leatt neckbrace? (i've broken, and cracked several ribs before, and so i'm thinking about getting one, just to be safe)
I am looking for one also. I need one that will fit under my jersey and go with a leatt.
GODMODE
2/22/2011 7:10pm
seen a kid well 23 year old last summer do one of those, ill just do one more ride, and did it without his chest protector...
seen a kid well 23 year old last summer do one of those, ill just do one more ride, and did it without his chest protector on. came up short on an up hill double, rebound sent him off the bike but when he came back down left foot peg went through his abdomin like a ice cream scooper just above his belly button. he's ok now but 5 years to heal. said he wished he would have never takin that last ride without his chest protection. and i myself went for a belly slide like a 747 landing. dirt was hard pack, went at least 20 feet by what i was told . i always wear my cheast protector .but to each his own.
after that first story, i am seriously wanting to buy one!
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/22/2011 7:12pm
I am looking for one also. I need one that will fit under my jersey and go with a leatt.
Saw Scott's, Leatt's, and one from Alpinestars that were neck brace compatible at Indy. Check the videos for each in the vid section.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
2/22/2011 7:15pm
My dad always made me wear one and I still wear one to this day.
braaap
Fantasy
2172nd
2/22/2011 7:25pm
Don't like 'em but won't ride without one and a Leatt now. I have that same fear of taking a peg to the abdomen or even in the back.

BTW- The Thor Sentinel works fine with a Leatt
MelonFan123
2/22/2011 7:55pm
i went years without one and luckily no injuries. But i just started wearing one again - the new Fox "low pro" one, cant remember the name of it. But it's similar to the Thor one thats been out a while. Fits perfect with my Leatt and for those that mention fit and comfort, this is the most comfortable one i've ever worn. fits flush and close to the body for a great fit. i highly suggest it
GODMODE
2/22/2011 7:56pm
anyone know about the fox proframe? looks pretty much the same as the sentinel, but i heard it has a little thicker plastic?
Bret
2/22/2011 8:04pm
I won't ride without one.
GODMODE
2/22/2011 8:05pm
i went years without one and luckily no injuries. But i just started wearing one again - the new Fox "low pro" one, cant remember the...
i went years without one and luckily no injuries. But i just started wearing one again - the new Fox "low pro" one, cant remember the name of it. But it's similar to the Thor one thats been out a while. Fits perfect with my Leatt and for those that mention fit and comfort, this is the most comfortable one i've ever worn. fits flush and close to the body for a great fit. i highly suggest it
ha you beat me to my question Tongue
Johan905
2/22/2011 8:06pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2011 8:14pm
GODMODE wrote:
how many of you ride with chest protectors? I personally hate them, they make me feel restricted, but i have friends who swear by them, and...
There is one UFO chest protector designed for the Leatt Brace! i use it n love it... and i think u have to wear some kind of chest protector(like this one) to avoid other injuries caused by the leatt when u crash..this one spread out the load so u dont brake your collarbone etc...UFO Reactor 2!!
Wandell
2/22/2011 8:14pm
My son and I recently started wearing padded hockey shirts under our jersey. The padding is more "dense" than the under jersey protectors designed for MX since it is designed to absorb impact and not just stop roost. The coverage is also better. It has padding on the chest, spine, shoulders and ribs. It also works great with a neck brace. The one we use is made by Mission Hockey.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
2/22/2011 8:16pm
I've worn one my whole riding career and wouldn't go without it.

My dad crashed once and ended up pinned under the rear tire with the throttle stuck wide open. It melted a large part of the back of his protector before he could get the bike off. CAN NOT IMAGINE what it would've done to his back without it.

I've had plenty of hard crashes myself where I was grateful to have it on, including hitting a tree dead on during a GNCC after swapping out in a high speed section.

I highly highly recommend everyone wear one. Unless you are a pro and every fraction of a second matters towards your lap time, why not? You just have to force yourself to get used to it and realize it's the same with all equipment. If you weren't used to riding with boots it would feel even worse the first time you tried riding with them, but everyone wears them because of the safety. Ride with your head and live to ride another day.
ktm212
2/22/2011 8:52pm
riding in the woods i always wore one but when i started riding moto i dropped it for a foam under protector becuase it fit better with my leatt, since then i have stopped wearing a leatt and until last yaer i just ran a foam chestrpector until the regional at unadilla, the roost was so bad i was wearing my chest protector and went down in a first turn pile up, the chest protector was snapped in half right in the middle of my back so needless to say i was relieved i was waering it so i didnt break my back. i wear it when i race only though, the new fox pro frame or whatever its called is awesome, light weight, fits with the a-star or leatt brace and it form fitting and super comfortable i love it
FIREfish148
2/22/2011 9:19pm
I wear one. They make my nips sore sometimes though yo.
mx918
2/22/2011 9:25pm
I don't ride without one. It doesn't restrict me so why not...you never know when you'll need it.

...First turn pile-up with a shiny foot-peg to the chest/back Blink
...Casing a jump and hitting your chest on the bars Sick
...Roost Cool

Post a reply to: Chest Protectors: Love or Hate em?

The Latest