Chest Protectors

FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 10:32am
I know it has been asked quit a few times and there are numerous threads but none that answer my criteria. I have found myself for the first time in 10 years or better wanting to wear a chest protector. I have faired pretty good without thus far but I am honestly starting to feel a little more fragile. It all started last year after I took a hard hit and got a grade 1 shoulder separation from the impact. Its still bothers a little and I know with another impact it will only bother me more. I honestly don't want to wear one but If I'm going to, I'm going to go all the way with front, back and shoulder protection. It seems there are not many that have shoulder cups like they used to. What are some of the protectors that you guys have experience with and might suggest? I don't care what brand, how it looks or what neck brace it works with. Just looking for a protector that will provide the most for why I am wearing it in the first place.
|
sec114
5/10/2011 1:38pm Edited Date/Time 5/10/2011 1:38pm
fox has shoulder padding along with back protection. the sizing is kinda small as i am just 5'7'' and 145 and need a large; so size wise that gives you something to go off of.
rmpilot
5/10/2011 1:38pm Edited Date/Time 5/10/2011 1:39pm
i personally love my hrp flak jak. i can barely even tell when it is on and it seems to protect very well. its got shoulder pads and everything you are looking for.
Torco1
5/10/2011 1:39pm
If you're really looking for good front and back protection, I would check out EVS. They have the one that has the good spine protector and everything on it.

The Shop

FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
5/10/2011 1:47pm
Thanks for the honest answers guys. I'll start checking them out.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
5/10/2011 1:49pm
rmpilot wrote:
i personally love my hrp flak jak. i can barely even tell when it is on and it seems to protect very well. its got shoulder...
i personally love my hrp flak jak. i can barely even tell when it is on and it seems to protect very well. its got shoulder pads and everything you are looking for.
I didn't know they still made them. I had one in the late 80's and liked it. The one in the Hannah add.
5/10/2011 1:55pm
I think the AMA or NMA or whatever should mandate full back / chest protectors for all amateurs. Makes sense to me..!!
mxb2
5/10/2011 1:59pm
Landshark wrote:
I think the AMA or NMA or whatever should mandate full back / chest protectors for all amateurs. Makes sense to me..!!
Why mandate it, I think if a person is making a decision to ride or race, they can chose the protection if they want! I choose to protect myself as best as possible , but different strokes for different folks. Then you may as well make the pro s protect themselves?
rmpilot
5/10/2011 2:25pm
rmpilot wrote:
i personally love my hrp flak jak. i can barely even tell when it is on and it seems to protect very well. its got shoulder...
I didn't know they still made them. I had one in the late 80's and liked it. The one in the Hannah add.
its hard to find them sale but they are still making them although i did buy it a couple years ago.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
5/10/2011 2:34pm
I know it has been asked quit a few times and there are numerous threads but none that answer my criteria. I have found myself for...
I know it has been asked quit a few times and there are numerous threads but none that answer my criteria. I have found myself for the first time in 10 years or better wanting to wear a chest protector. I have faired pretty good without thus far but I am honestly starting to feel a little more fragile. It all started last year after I took a hard hit and got a grade 1 shoulder separation from the impact. Its still bothers a little and I know with another impact it will only bother me more. I honestly don't want to wear one but If I'm going to, I'm going to go all the way with front, back and shoulder protection. It seems there are not many that have shoulder cups like they used to. What are some of the protectors that you guys have experience with and might suggest? I don't care what brand, how it looks or what neck brace it works with. Just looking for a protector that will provide the most for why I am wearing it in the first place.
If you are starting to get a little wigged out about getting hurt, I'd recommend getting a Leatt Neck Brace AND the Leatt Chest Protector that goes with it. They are super comfortable together (the key to wanting to always wear them) and will give you better protection. I have a Alpine Stars Chest protector and it has great protection, but it sucks for use with a Leatt - so I went a got the Leatt Chest protector. Doc's can fix shoulders, arms, wrists, legs, knees pretty reasonably (although some may take some time to heal) etc. But breaking your neck sucks as can puncturing a lung or other critical organs.
olds cool
5/10/2011 2:48pm
After being out of riding as a result of a crash a couple of years ago in which I broke 3-4 ribs, left collar bone, punctured lung, chipped elbow, etc., I had the same concerns about upper body protection. After looking around at all the different options available, I chose the new Acerbis Cosmo unit for the overall coverage and the versatility it offers. I like the fact that you can use it with or without the shoulder/elbow part. It has a built in kidney belt and is neck brace compatible. You might want to go a size larger than normal on your jersey. I've ridden with mine 3 times now in the last couple of weeks and am getting used to the extra bulkiness of the shoulder and elbow cups. It makes you feel a little like a football or hockey player, but I feel more protected now in the upper body area than I ever have and since I'm almost 50 yrs old I'm over what I look like at this point. Check it out at www.mx1west.com.
5/10/2011 3:39pm
I think amateurs should have it mandated much the way peewee football mandates neck rolls, etc... Not only would it help prevent more injury, it would also help limit liability to the track owner / promoters. Furthermore, it would eventually lead to more pros riding with chest protectors on as well.
iudi2006
Fantasy
312th
5/10/2011 8:50pm
After you wear one for about two rides, You won't even realize your wearing one. Then you'll feel naked without it afterwards. Been riding since i was 5 and i never went out to the track without one.
grover738
5/10/2011 10:14pm
Ha, my neighbor across the river also wears an RXR. Thought I was the only one. I switched to the RXR after messing up my ribs wearing a normal chest protector. I look like a fat dork, and they're bad in hot weather, but I love my RXR. It really makes sense to me - absorb the blow instead of just spreading it out a bit. And if you crash into a river or lake, they double as a life preserver.
ocscottie
5/10/2011 11:27pm
Mark, remember how itchy those orange Jofa chestpros were? especially when it was 100+ in the middle of summer wearing them under jerseys...uughhh.

Really wirh they had sometihng like this back when i ate shit, bet it would of saved this 26 years of hell that i have lived through:

T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
5/10/2011 11:58pm
grover738 wrote:
Ha, my neighbor across the river also wears an RXR. Thought I was the only one. I switched to the RXR after messing up my ribs...
Ha, my neighbor across the river also wears an RXR. Thought I was the only one. I switched to the RXR after messing up my ribs wearing a normal chest protector. I look like a fat dork, and they're bad in hot weather, but I love my RXR. It really makes sense to me - absorb the blow instead of just spreading it out a bit. And if you crash into a river or lake, they double as a life preserver.
They're super comfortable!
jeffro503
5/11/2011 12:24am
ocscottie wrote:
Mark, remember how itchy those orange Jofa chestpros were? especially when it was 100+ in the middle of summer wearing them under jerseys...uughhh. Really wirh they...
Mark, remember how itchy those orange Jofa chestpros were? especially when it was 100+ in the middle of summer wearing them under jerseys...uughhh.

Really wirh they had sometihng like this back when i ate shit, bet it would of saved this 26 years of hell that i have lived through:

Scottie....what do they call this one? I have been looking into getting one of these under armor protectors as well , and I dig the way that thing looks.
ocscottie
5/11/2011 12:40am
Jeff, that is a custom made job by Fox that incorporates part of their under armor, part of their chest pro and a back piece done by Ortema. It looks pretty damn slick man, really like the back plate deal. See more pic of it HERE
EatAChode
5/11/2011 1:55am
I have always been a fan of the Thor Sentinel chest protector. Now I think Fly and Fox both make a very similar style one too.

It fits like a glove and offers great protection. Can be worn under or over the jersey and can work with the Leatt Brace.

After my rough crash three weeks ago Im looking into chest protectors again too.
Shenzi
Fantasy
1276th
5/11/2011 7:11am
EatAChode wrote:
I have always been a fan of the Thor Sentinel chest protector. Now I think Fly and Fox both make a very similar style one too...
I have always been a fan of the Thor Sentinel chest protector. Now I think Fly and Fox both make a very similar style one too.

It fits like a glove and offers great protection. Can be worn under or over the jersey and can work with the Leatt Brace.

After my rough crash three weeks ago Im looking into chest protectors again too.
those are not chest-protectors, they have no ECE rating for the chest/ribs part. These are just roost-deflectors.
sxf138
5/11/2011 7:16am
I can't see how a chest protector will stop a shoulder spearation.... Shoulder things (cups) whatever won't help deflect force away from your shoulder, just my speculation.
jeffro503
5/11/2011 7:20am
ocscottie wrote:
Jeff, that is a custom made job by Fox that incorporates part of their under armor, part of their chest pro and a back piece done...
Jeff, that is a custom made job by Fox that incorporates part of their under armor, part of their chest pro and a back piece done by Ortema. It looks pretty damn slick man, really like the back plate deal. See more pic of it HERE
Well I'll be. That is pretty cool , and a good idea. I looked at some other brands last night , and I'm swinging by a big bike shop today up in Beaverton to see what they have in stock.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
5/11/2011 9:10am
sxf138 wrote:
I can't see how a chest protector will stop a shoulder spearation.... Shoulder things (cups) whatever won't help deflect force away from your shoulder, just my...
I can't see how a chest protector will stop a shoulder spearation.... Shoulder things (cups) whatever won't help deflect force away from your shoulder, just my speculation.
I didn't realize you could get a shoulder separation from an impact. I seriously thought a broken clavical would occur first. I really did take a hard hit though. Basically I met the ground with my shoulder like you would if you was ramming a door. I came up about 2 foot short on an outdoor triple, didn't think my (still healing at the time knee) would take the hit. So I threw the rear end down and rolled the dice on riding it out rather than risk a bone jarring case on my knee. I spared the endo but wasn't able to keep the bike under me, at least not until I landed on the damn thing. 16 staples in my arm, a bruise so big on my thigh that a week later I had to have surgery on it to open it up and let heal from the inside out. Freaking nasty, I don't recommend, and the shoulder that still doesn't feel 100% months later.
The cut on my arm could have just as easily been on my body somewhere and I feel with a chest protector something like that may be preventable. I just assumed with the shoulder that a little extra padding couldn't have hurt. But honestly, I feel lucky that my arm got cut and not my body. My Arm looked like a gutted fish and I would have hated to have that on my stomach, back or rib area. This is why I want a chest protector. I just didn't think it would be this hard to pick out which one I want.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
5/11/2011 9:14am Edited Date/Time 5/11/2011 9:15am
Here is the last chest protector I owned, if that gives you an idea why I asked for opinions.

noob
5/11/2011 9:42am Edited Date/Time 5/11/2011 9:43am
I just started a thread on the Troy Lee CP5900. They also make the CP5955 which has the full shoulder protection you're looking for. Haven't used either personally... just throwing out options.

Bry745
5/11/2011 9:51am
You guys are right, a chest protector won't help much, if at all, in preventing a shoulder separation. I suffered a grade 3 while wearing a decent one. That being said, it can help protect you from a lot of other piercing injuries, bars to the chest/ribs, etc. I always wear one. (EVS)

Post a reply to: Chest Protectors

The Latest