Chest Protector/Roost Guard Recommendation - tall guy/long torso

Related:
Create New Tag

3/10/2020 8:49 AM

Hoping to get recommendations on a chest protector/roost guard that can be worn under the jersey, that has good coverage front and back and is reasonably comfortable. I’m 6’3” 210lbs.

I’m currently wearing the Atlas Defender and it’s fine as a roost guard but the back piece is really short even extended out fully, and it is really just uncomfortable in general. I’ve never really worn a chest protector until I bought this one, and because I’m getting old/have a family to take care of, etc. I want to continue wearing one but I need to find the right fit.

Please don’t recommend one of those Robocop looking padded wetsuit monstrosities... I’m not that old, yet. cool Looking at options from astars, airbag, fly racing, and TLD, but open to other suggestions.

Thanks

|

3/10/2020 9:47 AM

It’s not the easiest to find but the Scott Commander chest protector has a long back protector that protects your spine fairly low.

|

3/10/2020 12:34 PM

The new Fox raceframe is the most comfortable chest protector I've ever worn and it's quite slim.

Photo

|

3/10/2020 5:04 PM

I recommend the Fox Raptor, I am a tall skinny guy. It fits great, feels light and comfortable.

Photo

|

3/10/2020 5:48 PM

I wore the TLD 5900. Im 6'3 and It sits as low as I want it. The back is also longer than most. Very adjustable, very durable. I've had mine for years and only wear it If I'm offroad racing, or running sprints in the desert. Its held up great. Highly recommend over the cheap stuff

|

3/10/2020 6:51 PM

skeef wrote:

I wore the TLD 5900. Im 6'3 and It sits as low as I want it. The back is also longer than most. Very adjustable, very durable. I've had mine for years and only wear it If I'm offroad racing, or running sprints in the desert. Its held up great. Highly recommend over the cheap stuff

Second this....I have the 5955 model with the bicep guards and it fits and feels great! Plenty of protection, not heavy, and the shoulder protection has saved me many times. Also has lasted a few years. I'm 6' and 190 lbs.

|

3/10/2020 7:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2020 7:11 PM

I’ve got a leatt 3df airfit suit and I love it. Complete coverage of chest, back, shoulders, elbows, and forearms. It’s a bit warm in the summertime though.

|

3/10/2020 8:31 PM

Another recommendation for the TLD 5900. Mine is going on at least 5 years and the fabric on the padding is starting to peel off in a couple spots. Other than that, never an issue. Fits me well at 6’2”.

|

3/11/2020 4:38 AM

wideopen198 wrote:

The new Fox raceframe is the most comfortable chest protector I've ever worn and it's quite slim.

Photo

Do you wear this under jersey and do you wear a neck brace?

|

3/11/2020 5:15 AM

skeef wrote:

pbody wrote:

Second this....I have the 5955 model with the bicep guards and it fits and feels great! Plenty of protection, not heavy, and the shoulder protection has saved me many times. Also has lasted a few years. I'm 6' and 190 lbs.

I run the 5955. On my 2nd one. I have not found a better model yet. Pretty awesome coverage and protection.

|

3/11/2020 4:42 PM

Have you considered Leatt soft protection. Here are a couple items that fit easily under jerseys are are very ventilated:
3DF AirFit chest protector - CE impact level 1 on both chest and back - super light weight
Stealth Body tee - roost guard on chest, CE level 1 full back coverage. very ventilated and offers shoulder protection.

|

3/12/2020 4:47 AM

The Fly Revel is awesome. I’m 6’3” with a longer torso too.

|

3/12/2020 5:46 AM

Leatt wrote:

Have you considered Leatt soft protection. Here are a couple items that fit easily under jerseys are are very ventilated:
3DF AirFit chest protector - CE impact level 1 on both chest and back - super light weight
Stealth Body tee - roost guard on chest, CE level 1 full back coverage. very ventilated and offers shoulder protection.

The 2.5 Chest Protector was the most disappointing piece of gear I have ever purchased. Very uncomfortable. The sides of the chest protector didn't wrap around me either and stuck out on the jersey. I passed this along to my riding buddy who is 5'6" and it looked even more unnatural on him.

However, I have been wearing what I believe is the first chest protector Leatt ever made back in 2011/2012 and cannot find anything that fits as well as this.

|

3/12/2020 9:53 AM

Lots of props for Troy Lee CP5955. I am only 5'10" and had to size-up to the biggest adult size to give me enough length in the Torso. I would definitely try this model on before pulling the trigger. My biggest issue was limited/short front length in my usual size medium.

|

KTM250SX YZ125 YZ85 PW80 ZX6 FZX700

3/12/2020 10:42 AM

Leatt wrote:

foreman52 wrote:

The 2.5 Chest Protector was the most disappointing piece of gear I have ever purchased. Very uncomfortable. The sides of the chest protector didn't wrap around me either and stuck out on the jersey. I passed this along to my riding buddy who is 5'6" and it looked even more unnatural on him.

However, I have been wearing what I believe is the first chest protector Leatt ever made back in 2011/2012 and cannot find anything that fits as well as this.

Have you checked out our new 3.5 chest protector? It is the chest and back panels with a CE level 1 impact. metal clip mounts make it more durable and it's super light and super ventilated. Also for taller riders the XXL in our 4.5 chest protector offers a bit more length and the sides are 3DF foam padding so mold better to the torso.

|

3/12/2020 2:05 PM

I’m 6’1” and use the A-star A4. The front protection is average (same as the A1) but the back is longer than most.

|