Cheating in Amateur MX

Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:39pm
I know most of you guys could care less about Am racing, but there are a few folks here with ties to the AM world, I would like your opinions.

In light of another rider getting caught cheating last weekend at a local NC race, I feel strongly that we need to change the way we are currently handling this issue at AMA races. In most instances when a rider or his parents put their neck on the line to expose someone who is cheat, that rider rarely ever gets any further penalty than just a DQ for the event. The AMA allows referees to make a recommendation for what they feel a penalty should be but the precedent has just been probation or in many cases no penalty at all. It creates a disincentive for anyone to protest because they rarely get anything out of it. I think that riders have every right to protest someone, it is how the system works. Right or wrong, the protester is not the bad guy. If you are protested and found to be legal, you are not the bad guy either. The bad guy is the guy who feels it is more important for his son to win, than it is to follow the rules.

Another thing that drives me up a wall is all of the people accusing everyone else of cheating, but never putting up the money to protest. I have a theory about those people, they don’t really want to know. They can feel better about their rider if they just assume everyone else is cheating. They would rather spend big bucks on a big cheater motor than spend the $200 to find out that they just might be getting beat by a legal motor. After the first protest last weekend, one of the parents said I should tear down the whole top 5. I gave that parent the option to protest the others in the top 5 and even gave him the option to measure Matt’s bike for free. Despite the fact that he and his wife called me a cheater over and over, they declined to take me up on my offer to tear down Matt’s bikes for free. I even offered to let him be the one who measured them. He declined, said he knew we were cheating, and said he would catch us on his terms. He didn’t really want to know.

So, based on the precedent set over the last three years, my recommendation for the rider caught was 1 year of probation. Did I want to suggest more? Yeah, I did, as evidenced by the rule I proposed last year to make it a mandatory 6 month suspension for getting caught running a motor over the legal limit, I feel very strongly on the subject. The problem is that that type of punishment is never recommended and the parent was operating under the assumption that probation was all that would happen. To do more would have been just making an example out of the kid and I didn’t think that was the right thing to do.

Last year I made the following proposal to the AMA for a rule change:

For riders caught competing on a bike with a displacement that exceeds the class limit the following penalties MUST be enforced:

1st offense rider torn down and found to be illegal - Disqualification from all classes in the event where the displacement rule was broken and a 6 month suspension from AMA competition.

2nd offense rider torn down and found to be illegal - Disqualification from all classes in the event where the displacement rule was broken and a 1 year suspension from AMA competition.

3rd offense - Disqualification from all classes in the event where the displacement rule was broken and a 3 year suspension from AMA competition.

Reason:
There is currently no incentive not to cheat. Riders who get caught with engines over the displacement limit face little or no penalties. There are several riders caught with engines over the displacement limit for their class at regional qualifiers and are still going to LLs in other classes Harsh penalties will create a strong disincentive to cheat.

I didn’t bother to contact the members of the MX committee as I thought it would be a no brainer that it would pass. The proposal was defeated in committee. I will be proposing some form of this rule again and I will be there to argue its merits. What I need is everyone’s input. I will collect the input and put it together with the package I send in with the proposed rules. Here is my rational for the change:

1. Take it out of the local referees hands. No local referee wants to be the guy who suspends a kid for 6 months.

2. Harsh penalties will actually act as a deterrent. If I was facing a 6 month suspension, I would certainly think twice.

3. Have a more consistent system of punishment in place for these types of infractions.

Your thoughts?

Mike
|
breck
4/9/2009 1:21pm
Whoa... Leave Chris and Sherri out of this...
35smom
4/9/2009 1:28pm
Im with you Mike 100%. I thought for sure your propsal would pass and was excited to see how it would play out. Maybe next year. I think alot of the problem with protests is many of us just have enough money to get to and from the races and can't put out the extra cash to do it. I really wish they would adopt a rule for Lorettas is top 5 mandatory tear down. We give enough money to get there and it should be a given to do it.
fcr
4/9/2009 1:29pm
Sad that this is an issue.

The Shop

4/9/2009 1:29pm
im with you on this. the tougher the penalty, the less likely they are to cheat. if they do it once, theyll do it again and again and again for as long as they are getting away with it. it sucks because in most cases, im sure it is the parents... the the kid racing has to suffer.
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
4/9/2009 1:38pm
I love Amateur Motocross. It used to be grass roots. It used to be core. It represented goodness and family gathering.Today its CRAP. A huge pile of steaming shit. My list is long, too long intact with the pile of turds it has become.

Money is the main one. Remove all and any incentives, rewards, payback in contingency credit cards. There is NOTHING fair about amateur motocross. The amount of families living off deals, factory dollars disguised as support clothing companies etc at any large national is pretty large. So the fact of calling it Amateur is saying the same about the AMA - they protect our rights to ride.

it is the ugly side of MX. Nothing like seeing a father berate his child for not jumping a jump or winning or even making the main event. Makes Little league dad look like a saint.

That is why there is, and always will be cheating. Cold hard cash!
BobbyM
4/9/2009 1:38pm
SlowOldGuy wrote:
I know most of you guys could care less about Am racing, but there are a few folks here with ties to the AM world, I...
I know most of you guys could care less about Am racing, but there are a few folks here with ties to the AM world, I would like your opinions.

In light of another rider getting caught cheating last weekend at a local NC race, I feel strongly that we need to change the way we are currently handling this issue at AMA races. In most instances when a rider or his parents put their neck on the line to expose someone who is cheat, that rider rarely ever gets any further penalty than just a DQ for the event. The AMA allows referees to make a recommendation for what they feel a penalty should be but the precedent has just been probation or in many cases no penalty at all. It creates a disincentive for anyone to protest because they rarely get anything out of it. I think that riders have every right to protest someone, it is how the system works. Right or wrong, the protester is not the bad guy. If you are protested and found to be legal, you are not the bad guy either. The bad guy is the guy who feels it is more important for his son to win, than it is to follow the rules.

Another thing that drives me up a wall is all of the people accusing everyone else of cheating, but never putting up the money to protest. I have a theory about those people, they don’t really want to know. They can feel better about their rider if they just assume everyone else is cheating. They would rather spend big bucks on a big cheater motor than spend the $200 to find out that they just might be getting beat by a legal motor. After the first protest last weekend, one of the parents said I should tear down the whole top 5. I gave that parent the option to protest the others in the top 5 and even gave him the option to measure Matt’s bike for free. Despite the fact that he and his wife called me a cheater over and over, they declined to take me up on my offer to tear down Matt’s bikes for free. I even offered to let him be the one who measured them. He declined, said he knew we were cheating, and said he would catch us on his terms. He didn’t really want to know.

So, based on the precedent set over the last three years, my recommendation for the rider caught was 1 year of probation. Did I want to suggest more? Yeah, I did, as evidenced by the rule I proposed last year to make it a mandatory 6 month suspension for getting caught running a motor over the legal limit, I feel very strongly on the subject. The problem is that that type of punishment is never recommended and the parent was operating under the assumption that probation was all that would happen. To do more would have been just making an example out of the kid and I didn’t think that was the right thing to do.

Last year I made the following proposal to the AMA for a rule change:

For riders caught competing on a bike with a displacement that exceeds the class limit the following penalties MUST be enforced:

1st offense rider torn down and found to be illegal - Disqualification from all classes in the event where the displacement rule was broken and a 6 month suspension from AMA competition.

2nd offense rider torn down and found to be illegal - Disqualification from all classes in the event where the displacement rule was broken and a 1 year suspension from AMA competition.

3rd offense - Disqualification from all classes in the event where the displacement rule was broken and a 3 year suspension from AMA competition.

Reason:
There is currently no incentive not to cheat. Riders who get caught with engines over the displacement limit face little or no penalties. There are several riders caught with engines over the displacement limit for their class at regional qualifiers and are still going to LLs in other classes Harsh penalties will create a strong disincentive to cheat.

I didn’t bother to contact the members of the MX committee as I thought it would be a no brainer that it would pass. The proposal was defeated in committee. I will be proposing some form of this rule again and I will be there to argue its merits. What I need is everyone’s input. I will collect the input and put it together with the package I send in with the proposed rules. Here is my rational for the change:

1. Take it out of the local referees hands. No local referee wants to be the guy who suspends a kid for 6 months.

2. Harsh penalties will actually act as a deterrent. If I was facing a 6 month suspension, I would certainly think twice.

3. Have a more consistent system of punishment in place for these types of infractions.

Your thoughts?

Mike
1.. who would cheat to win an am race and trophy?

2..who would protest a cheater at an am race for a trophy?
jbomx363
4/9/2009 1:49pm
Answer:

1. A lot

2. A lot

Why cheat? I always found it quite funny that people get more irate at those people that actually do protest AND WIN the protest.....meaning, they called out a cheater and made it stick.

Shouldn't people be mad at the cheater instead?
tasbrock
4/9/2009 2:38pm
It's everywhere. I bought a "stock" RM125 from a dealer that was helping a local rider who makes it to LLs and needed new 4 strokes. I finally had to do a top end on it and found that it had been bored out 3 over to a 150! This was supposed to be his "stock" bike. I chose the "stock" bike, not his mod bike.

Thanks god my kids only do this for fun.
rocrac
4/9/2009 2:44pm
Seems like a good proposal. I could be wrong but who in their right mind is going to blindly protest there are so many ways to cheat other than just displacement.
MXTRAINER1
4/9/2009 2:51pm
Bobby M,
amateur racing is far from what you may remember.
It has grown into basic factory status with their own magazines, full factory rigs and the top amateurs usually are on par with the top 10 National riders(less the experience).
The economy has brought it down a couple of notches but there are plenty of 300,000 to 500,000 rigs in the pits.
The contingency and other $'s are substancial and many of the parents are living off of what their amateur child makes.
Its about the $'s not the plastic.
Alan Gerkey
bogdan912
4/9/2009 3:37pm
Hope no body tears me down.. I am running a 305!
Cygnus
4/9/2009 3:42pm
It's only cheating if you get caught.
Soozie125
4/9/2009 3:49pm
Cygnus wrote:
Is that a Mitch Payton quote?
jackson222
4/9/2009 3:59pm
Cygnus wrote:
Soozie125 wrote:
Is that a Mitch Payton quote?
Your not quite as funny as you think..
AmateurMX
4/9/2009 4:44pm
breck wrote:
Whoa... Leave Chris and Sherri out of this...
Actually, I liked the title...LOL

As for Mike's post, I would just be happy if the AMA came up with a clear penalty structure and stood behind their rules and actually enforced them. That would be a good place to start.

CH
4/9/2009 4:47pm
Those look like good rules. The penalty has to be a deterrent.

It's basically ego driving all this crap. Who in their right mind would go home satisfied with a win that was aided by cheating?
I've seen all kinds of ugly crap at the races. The police got called at a race last year because somebody took something wrong. There was a big dust up here in District 7 recently concerning riders' families and friends antagonizing and bullying each other over incidents on the track. And it seems more and more-- it's not the riders as much as their entourage going psycho.

To me, any parent screaming at his kid (or anybody else) at a youth amateur race might as well have "idiot" across his forehead.

MX Dad #27
Fantasy
307th
4/9/2009 5:11pm
When my Daughter was racing in Nationals in the Girls class we had a FULL MOD, 101.5, small wheel (the rule at the time) super mini. We also had a BONE STOCK CR 85. Because Katie was competitive in the BOYS 85 class, I had several people (after the fact) tell me they thought we ran our super mini motor in the stock class. When I asked "If you really thought that, why didn't you protest" I was told who's going to protest Katie she's a GIRL! I thought "how classy" don't think it's her hard work and dedication, it was all the bike. The only thing about Amateur racing that I don't like is the " If your kid is beating mine you must be cheating!"
4/9/2009 6:02pm
AmateurMX wrote:
Actually, I liked the title...LOL As for Mike's post, I would just be happy if the AMA came up with a clear penalty structure and stood...
Actually, I liked the title...LOL

As for Mike's post, I would just be happy if the AMA came up with a clear penalty structure and stood behind their rules and actually enforced them. That would be a good place to start.

CH
THIS would help.

Too many times we took a complaint/protest/etc to the AMA, only to have them waffle on the penalty. It didn't matter who it was in the past 15 years or so. Found it really aggravating to have the AMA often take the word of the rider over the word of the ref, the promoter, and assorted witnesses.
4/9/2009 6:16pm
There are a couple of ways to determine engine displacement without a complete tear down. One was used in AMA dirt track post race inspections, a device called the "whistler". I have seen it used, but details are a little vague, as it was around ''01-'02.
Another device was devoloped by a well known dirt track tuner, called a "huffer", where only the flywheel cover and valve cover need to be removed, to determine TDC, then the huffer is screwed into the spark plug hole. Rotate the motor 360 degrees , and the guage on the device will tell you just what displacement of said engine is.
LIVEWIRE
4/9/2009 6:23pm
Tiki wrote:
I love Amateur Motocross. It used to be grass roots. It used to be core. It represented goodness and family gathering.Today its CRAP. A huge pile...
I love Amateur Motocross. It used to be grass roots. It used to be core. It represented goodness and family gathering.Today its CRAP. A huge pile of steaming shit. My list is long, too long intact with the pile of turds it has become.

Money is the main one. Remove all and any incentives, rewards, payback in contingency credit cards. There is NOTHING fair about amateur motocross. The amount of families living off deals, factory dollars disguised as support clothing companies etc at any large national is pretty large. So the fact of calling it Amateur is saying the same about the AMA - they protect our rights to ride.

it is the ugly side of MX. Nothing like seeing a father berate his child for not jumping a jump or winning or even making the main event. Makes Little league dad look like a saint.

That is why there is, and always will be cheating. Cold hard cash!
The amateur MX farm system is broken and broken bad.

cobra314
4/9/2009 6:46pm
Mike,
You made some really good points and I feel that your rule ideas are very good. What is funny about the whole idea though is that you wrote to the AMA with the assumption that :
1) they give a damn
and
2) they will actually do something

The AMA is crap and from what I have seen does not seem to care about fixing any problems or making things any better. As an "organized" sport motocross is a joke. I have seen peewee football programs that are managed better.
mahem262
4/9/2009 6:56pm
BobbyM wrote:

how many time's did your boy get protested in his am days?
khough22
4/9/2009 7:02pm
You are right it is broke and they do not want to fix it. I was talking to AMA and Mx sports last week about the pro-am series. MX sports is under the impresion that you do not get paid as an A rider. You get paid when you turn PRO. I do not think they have been to a local race that is not a L.L. qualifiier in a some time. Kip at the AMA really wants to make things right, but can not do it in the first year. I have raced for 40 years and I hate what these kids are dealing with right now.
4/9/2009 8:20pm
Here is the beauty of the AMA rules. They are proposed by the membership, brought up in committee by congress delegates and the voted on. Once it becomes a rule in the book, it has to be enforced. I plan to resubmit this this year again and I WILL be there to help push it through. I underestimated the power of the statrus quo last year and it won't happen again.

Thanks for the great feedback.
wardy
4/9/2009 9:49pm
i have a question.

lets play it this way.

I can't afford a new bike. I go out and buy a great little bike for the kid, it's lets say a "king" cobra. the bike hauls and is fun to ride, my kid only practices and rarely races but is an exceptional rider.

we do to chicken licks raceway, and the kid just stomps teh competition. Bike seems to be faster then the other kids, but he is a really good rider.

We get protested.

Tore down and much to my surprise junior is riding a bike which had been bored or reworked and is not legal for the class. NOt only is my kid disqualified but i am pissed because I didn't know.

your rules leaves no options for a case like that. for that reason i can't support a rule that is absolute. However i would support having more teeth in the rules and making them more enforceable.

by the way that little story which sounds like it couldn't happen can happen real easy.

as a congress delegate who sits on that committee I would look at things that way, since as a referee of my own race events, absolute rules are not good things.

I bet you will find the "new" guy at AmA will be much more strict then the ones we have had in the past........at least that is my opinion in dealing with him lately..........

Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
4/9/2009 10:03pm
There are a couple of ways to determine engine displacement without a complete tear down. One was used in AMA dirt track post race inspections, a...
There are a couple of ways to determine engine displacement without a complete tear down. One was used in AMA dirt track post race inspections, a device called the "whistler". I have seen it used, but details are a little vague, as it was around ''01-'02.
Another device was devoloped by a well known dirt track tuner, called a "huffer", where only the flywheel cover and valve cover need to be removed, to determine TDC, then the huffer is screwed into the spark plug hole. Rotate the motor 360 degrees , and the guage on the device will tell you just what displacement of said engine is.
I remember reading that those devices won't work on 2-strokes, just on valve-munchers.
oldx
4/9/2009 10:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/9/2009 10:16pm
BobbyM wrote:

mahem262 wrote:
how many time's did your boy get protested in his am days?
Forget it, you guys missed his point. Me, I'm laughing my ass off. Has something to do with adult amateur cheaters

Post a reply to: Cheating in Amateur MX

The Latest