Cheater Lines

GHR
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:09pm
Everyone remembers the good ones....and if you aint cheating you aint trying right? haha

I can think of a couple-

Next to the Gate at RaceTown I could peek through and see the flinch of the gate person split second b4 gate dropped

Glen Helen for a couple years had a similar situation you could see a shadow of the gate person

One year when GH track went backwards after talledega was a left turn that you could cut through during a VetX race and pick up 2 bike lengths in a few seconds.

Glen Helen endurance races (6,12,24) there were crazy lines in the back of the singe track section that cut off 10-15 seconds of a 21 min lap. They really started cracking down on this one with track workers....

Anyone out there notice things like this at their local races?
|
mxking6
1/17/2012 8:53pm
Ask Brian Deegan...........

At a Harescramble this year, I passed the same guy every lap on a 10 mile coarse......he had a cheater line somewhere,

I have alwayse been known for getting good starts. Most of the time it's just figuring out the secrets of the gate.
wardy
1/17/2012 8:54pm
OH those secrets we keep for a long long time around here.

LOL!!!

besides most of my "cheater" lines are gone, they went and built new tracks...... blasphamy!
1/17/2012 9:50pm
at AV Motoplex in lancaster the dog house isn't covered up that good so if you line up right next to it you can just watch the person dropping the gate :p
moscrop940
1/17/2012 10:54pm
At starwest a few years back there was a fist-size hole on the left side of the dog house....

To be honest i got better starts without looking, but gosh damn it was nice when I wanted it haha

The Shop

GHR
1/17/2012 10:59pm
moscrop940 wrote:
At starwest a few years back there was a fist-size hole on the left side of the dog house.... To be honest i got better starts...
At starwest a few years back there was a fist-size hole on the left side of the dog house....

To be honest i got better starts without looking, but gosh damn it was nice when I wanted it haha
Dont you just love the tiny extra burst of adrenaline on top of adrenaline the moment you line up and see that crap the first time? haha It agree dont always work but fun knowing somehow you have an edge, then pulling back into the pits to tell your buddies the magical discovery...haha love racing.
moscrop940
1/17/2012 11:47pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2012 11:52pm
moscrop940 wrote:
At starwest a few years back there was a fist-size hole on the left side of the dog house.... To be honest i got better starts...

GHR wrote:
Dont you just love the tiny extra burst of adrenaline on top of adrenaline the moment you line up and see that crap the first time...
Dont you just love the tiny extra burst of adrenaline on top of adrenaline the moment you line up and see that crap the first time? haha It agree dont always work but fun knowing somehow you have an edge, then pulling back into the pits to tell your buddies the magical discovery...haha love racing.
HA I agree with you 99%....I only disagree with the "telling my buddies".... I never told a soul, not even my own brother...

Hes older and raced intermediate, so any secret I had to edge him out was locked up tighter then a dolphins butthole.... Good times
1/18/2012 6:03am
I was racing at Hurricane Hills about 10 years ago and I saw Ryan Mills jump a tabletop and it looked like he was about six inches off the ground as he flew over the jump. So, I eyed it up when I walked the track at intermission and found that there was a little notch cut out of the side of the table and he was using that as his takeoff. I started using it after that and it saved some good time off the jump ... but then they fixed it.
cr12500
Fantasy
493rd
1/18/2012 6:14am
I remember seeing Jason Lawrence, right before he turned pro, racing at Atco. He had at least two "cheater" lines that I saw. The first one was a low line on the triple in the middle track. He stayed very low using that. The other was the last right hander before the main straight in front of the grand stands. There was a pretty deep ditch in the inside of the corner and he was wheeling over it to cut out the corner and keep up his speed. He didn't really need either line, he was much faster then anybody else racing but it was fun watching him use those.
three9zero
1/18/2012 6:37am
Way back in the day when we had rubber band starts, i would put a small piece of tape hanging off the band infront of me. I never ever got a bad start.
Highsider
1/18/2012 6:48am
three9zero wrote:
Way back in the day when we had rubber band starts, i would put a small piece of tape hanging off the band infront of me...
Way back in the day when we had rubber band starts, i would put a small piece of tape hanging off the band infront of me. I never ever got a bad start.
Even a smudge of grease off your chain worked.
ga_pike
1/18/2012 7:35am
Back in the early 90's at Steel City, I watched Mark Neiderhauser and Steve Crowe coming out of the S-turns into the table tops... they were catching the little mound of dirt that marks the inside of the corner prior to the first drop and landing on the downside instead of slowing down for the drop (it used to come out of the corner and drop before coming back up for the first table). I noticed they were just barely inside the wood stake so I tried it on my 80. Not sure if it saved much time, but it looked cool. I started looking for lines like that at every track and found a few at various tracks including Loretta's.

Neiderhauser always seemed to have a knack for finding those little time-savers and I learned alot just from watching him race.
Boarddesign
Fantasy
2069th
1/18/2012 8:24am
Cheating on the gates will only help someone who plans on being an amateur racer, learn to do it right without cheating then you won't get skunked at tracks you don't know.
pacetruckdrvr
1/18/2012 8:27am
The owner of my local track doesnt ride the mx track much and this thanksgiving he decided to ride the last race of the day, (called the old farts class or something like that, class for the dads that dont really race, just for fun) anyways there are a few corners that back onto each other and he would jump from one section of track to the other and end up with the lead. Didnt work thouth, the guy leading the race woould always catch him and pass hip back. Funny to watch though.
ga_pike
1/18/2012 9:31am
The owner of my local track doesnt ride the mx track much and this thanksgiving he decided to ride the last race of the day, (called...
The owner of my local track doesnt ride the mx track much and this thanksgiving he decided to ride the last race of the day, (called the old farts class or something like that, class for the dads that dont really race, just for fun) anyways there are a few corners that back onto each other and he would jump from one section of track to the other and end up with the lead. Didnt work thouth, the guy leading the race woould always catch him and pass hip back. Funny to watch though.
That's pretty funny... as if anyone would actually call him out on it. Smile
Killer Customz
1/18/2012 11:37am

My buddy Josh was known for finding the fastest way around the track for years. Always seemed to find the low edges. This bale was right before a big downhill at Baja MX in Michigan.
GHR
1/18/2012 11:40am
[IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/Killercustomz/lichtleline.jpg[/IMG] My buddy Josh was known for finding the fastest way around the track for years. Always seemed to find the low edges. This bale was...

My buddy Josh was known for finding the fastest way around the track for years. Always seemed to find the low edges. This bale was right before a big downhill at Baja MX in Michigan.
haha thats awesome

Couple years ago everyone was taking the low side of a jump at Opening round of Hangtown and cutting straight across the right turn totally dodging the high side of jump. This pic reminds me of that day.
GHR
1/18/2012 11:43am
Cheating on the gates will only help someone who plans on being an amateur racer, learn to do it right without cheating then you won't get...
Cheating on the gates will only help someone who plans on being an amateur racer, learn to do it right without cheating then you won't get skunked at tracks you don't know.
"planning" on being anything but "an amateur" is a recipie for disaster unfortunately (at least thats what im gonna teach my kids) Racing professionally is a mess and I love watching them but dont envy them one bit.
jtomasik
1/18/2012 11:47am
Back in '03 (I believe it was), Bradshaw came to Colorado and raced the Four Stroke Nationals at Thunder Valley. He was riding a smoker. There was a step down double that they cut the lip off, so the riders couldn't clear it, unless they used the waaay outside line to get enough speed, which wasn't really faster. Bradshaw found a small pile of dirt...about the size of a football, on the extreme inside edge of the top of this thing. He used the inside line, cut it hard, hit that little lump of dirt, and he was clearing that jump every lap, putting huge time on the rest of the pack.

The following week, I tried it. My result was a case, a swap, and into the weeds....lol.
TeamGreen
1/18/2012 11:57am
GHR wrote:
Everyone remembers the good ones....and if you aint cheating you aint trying right? haha I can think of a couple- Next to the Gate at RaceTown...
Everyone remembers the good ones....and if you aint cheating you aint trying right? haha

I can think of a couple-

Next to the Gate at RaceTown I could peek through and see the flinch of the gate person split second b4 gate dropped

Glen Helen for a couple years had a similar situation you could see a shadow of the gate person

One year when GH track went backwards after talledega was a left turn that you could cut through during a VetX race and pick up 2 bike lengths in a few seconds.

Glen Helen endurance races (6,12,24) there were crazy lines in the back of the singe track section that cut off 10-15 seconds of a 21 min lap. They really started cracking down on this one with track workers....

Anyone out there notice things like this at their local races?

Yeah, but, some Ass-Hole on a really nice 4-Speed KX450 might catch you doing this and ROOST YOUR ASS for a coupl'a turns and "Tap" you when he's passing you a lap latter for being a Cheating POS.

I'm jus' laughing...
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
1/18/2012 2:00pm
[IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/Killercustomz/lichtleline.jpg[/IMG] My buddy Josh was known for finding the fastest way around the track for years. Always seemed to find the low edges. This bale was...

R.I.P.

There was a cheater line off the side of the finish line tabletop at Barona Oaks for many years in the '90s. You could cut off half the height of the jump and land on the track. The only problem was the line brought you really close to the scoring tower. One kid hit it and WADDED one time.
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
1/18/2012 9:43pm
At one of my local tracks no longer in existence, Jolly Rogers they had a paved starting gate. On one of the gates there was a small gap in the pavement where you could get down to dirt. Man I ripped some HUGE holeshots from that dirt area when the gate got wet from a little rain.
GHR
1/18/2012 9:58pm
mx510 wrote:
At one of my local tracks no longer in existence, Jolly Rogers they had a paved starting gate. On one of the gates there was a...
At one of my local tracks no longer in existence, Jolly Rogers they had a paved starting gate. On one of the gates there was a small gap in the pavement where you could get down to dirt. Man I ripped some HUGE holeshots from that dirt area when the gate got wet from a little rain.
That's awesome pavement starts can be so trickey love this one I'm guessing u had to camp out at the gate to get that pick haha
Fat Fingers
1/18/2012 10:20pm
If I was a starter, I would fake the gate drop all the time and catch out the cheaters. I have seen it quite a few times where the starter fakes and the riders on each side of the starter time it wrong and either hit the gate or end up getting crap starts.
wildbill
1/18/2012 10:52pm
Cheating on the gates will only help someone who plans on being an amateur racer, learn to do it right without cheating then you won't get...
thanks for taking all the fun out of it... Debbie.
DanDunes818
1/19/2012 12:42am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2012 12:43am
mx510 wrote:
At one of my local tracks no longer in existence, Jolly Rogers they had a paved starting gate. On one of the gates there was a...
Great memories MX510! I remember that gate well. Everyone wanted it.. I loved Jolly "Rocky as hell" Rogers.. I used to live in a apartment complex on 217th and Military and ride out my front door and down the side of the old hill climb to practice 5 days a week in 1996-97. Missed that place when it closed, but with the prime location it was only a matter of time. Condos all over it now... Sad

Also back when my pops built the tracks at Indian Dunes, I used to sit on his lap while he carved out the sandwash portion of the tracks each week and scope the cheater lines. The whole track was bannered with twine, so cutting the track would result in neck burn (from hell) , but you could always find "creative lines" the day before you could pull out of your pocket when you needed it. There's no better feeling than knowing you have a line that nobody else knew about to use when needed.
pacman00
1/19/2012 12:52am
we used to go to Neiderhausers when we were back east for the nationals. havent heard that name in a long time.
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
1/19/2012 2:02pm
Great memories MX510! I remember that gate well. Everyone wanted it.. I loved Jolly "Rocky as hell" Rogers.. I used to live in a apartment complex...
Great memories MX510! I remember that gate well. Everyone wanted it.. I loved Jolly "Rocky as hell" Rogers.. I used to live in a apartment complex on 217th and Military and ride out my front door and down the side of the old hill climb to practice 5 days a week in 1996-97. Missed that place when it closed, but with the prime location it was only a matter of time. Condos all over it now... Sad

Also back when my pops built the tracks at Indian Dunes, I used to sit on his lap while he carved out the sandwash portion of the tracks each week and scope the cheater lines. The whole track was bannered with twine, so cutting the track would result in neck burn (from hell) , but you could always find "creative lines" the day before you could pull out of your pocket when you needed it. There's no better feeling than knowing you have a line that nobody else knew about to use when needed.
Dan Lamb?
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
1/19/2012 2:04pm
GHR wrote:
That's awesome pavement starts can be so trickey love this one I'm guessing u had to camp out at the gate to get that pick haha
Ya it was a race to the starting area. Great times, I really miss ol Rocky Rogers!!!!!
Pdub
1/19/2012 3:21pm
One year racing Day in the Dirt at LACR, I was laboring down a long whooped-out straight in the back section and I looked over and saw Mike Metzger and a couple other pros blow by me... beside the track! It was the Coup de Grace, no one cared... they found cheater lines all over that track...

Post a reply to: Cheater Lines

The Latest