Cheap GPS app for iPhone?

Does anyone have any suggestions for an inexpensive GPS mapping app for the iPhone? I'm going to be exploring some uncharted territory (to me) and would like to be able to track my ride (drop bread crumbs). I would also like to be able to upload the ride to a computer for viewing. Let me know if you have a simple solution for this. My iPhone can be strapped to the bars and set to airplane mode if required. Not looking for an expensive Garmin solution, just something simple to track our ride and be able to save the loop data for next time.
|
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/14/2019 6:26pm
Strava.
1/14/2019 6:35pm
GuyB wrote:
Strava.
I haven't used Strava in awhile, only used it for local mountain bike riding. Is there a way to keep your ride private, or does it compare your loop/segment times with everyone else on the web? I don't believe there would be any segments/ loops setup in strava where I'll be going, but not sure. If it could be used to track rides and remain private that will be perfect.
Rotaholic
1/14/2019 6:59pm
Strava is awesome and yes you can keep all your activities private, set them to private as default and then you can edit and allow each one if you did want to share.

The Shop

KurtJ99
Fantasy
682nd
1/14/2019 7:31pm
It depends where u ride. At Mammoth I used Topo Maps with Strava. Strava was good enough. If further away from civilization Topo may be better, but you may need to download maps while you have cell coverage.
g taylor
1/14/2019 7:34pm
I recently downloaded Gaia GPS but haven't had the chance to use it. It was highly recommended by a trail riding buddy that likes to get lost and hope he finds his way back. Lol. It's free unless you sign up for the membership that opens up some features.
early
Fantasy
2231st
1/15/2019 6:06am Edited Date/Time 1/15/2019 8:34am
I use the free version of this when I ride for laptimes, it's awesome. For hiking and making waypoints I drop a split at my location for waypoints. https://racechrono.com

Edit: looks like it's pay only for iPhone, no free version
1/15/2019 8:21am
Trails. It's iPhone only but it tracks GPS trail, speed, elevation, and heart rate if you have an apple watch. And If you have a Series 2 or newer, you can run it from the watch without your phone on you. It will let you save up to 5 trails for free then I think its like $10 for a year. You can export the maps and load them onto google earth too. I've uploaded some of our established trails onto Google Earth where you can already see the trail, and for the most part its within 1-2' of the exact trail
1/15/2019 8:24am
U Need a Map is pretty good. It has good maps and works great, but the interface is a little confusing. I track all my RZR rides with it. For dirtbiking I use Strava and then download the GPX and load into U Need a Map.
Titan1
1/15/2019 9:18am
Strava is awesome.

I use a Garmin VivoActive watch to track my ride and then it automatically uploads to strava when I get back to my phone (which can be viewed online). Only drawback to that is you wouldn't be able to view the map while you are riding as the watch tracks the ride, but has no way of viewing a map.

Post a reply to: Cheap GPS app for iPhone?

The Latest