Chat room vs. Live forum?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/23/2017 12:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/23/2017 12:27 PM

Hey errbody. So I know the topic of a chat room comes up a lot for when races are live. I also saw mention of a “live updating forum” from one or two people. So my question is, out of the 3 options, what idea is your favorite? Chat room, live updating forum, or bench racing threads the way they are? Reasons? Thanks!

|

10/23/2017 12:41 PM

Although, I appreciated the race threads it was hard to keep up with what had already been talked about, main topic/topics, while also having to refresh and then scroll back down. I eventually quit messing with them and just focused on the hot topics threads. Will a chat room fix this? If so, count me for that.

|

10/23/2017 12:44 PM

A chat room for races would be really cool. Having to refresh this forum all the time is bad enough, add in the fact that on race days it's ungodly slow makes it almost unbearable at times lol.

|

10/23/2017 12:53 PM

marx41 wrote:

Hey errbody. So I know the topic of a chat room comes up a lot for when races are live. I also saw mention of a “live updating forum” from one or two people. So my question is, out of the 3 options, what idea is your favorite? Chat room, live updating forum, or bench racing threads the way they are? Reasons? Thanks!

ASL

asking for a friend

|

10/23/2017 12:57 PM

Chat room for sure. Live updating forum is cool too, but would be like viagra for the post count whores on race day

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

10/23/2017 1:04 PM

Chat room for the races. Much easier to participate in the intellectual conversation when you can see the posts streaming in real time.

|

10/23/2017 1:15 PM

The only downside to a live-updating thread would be clicking through pages (unless it's formatted differently). A chat you can just scroll up if something slips by. I'd vote for a chat.

|

Might order a pizza, take a nap, doesn't really matter.

10/23/2017 1:15 PM

I would do a live forum where new posts show up without having to refresh the page manually. It will have a lot less clutter then if it were a chat room. Chat rooms are notorious for being about 95% shit and maybe 5% relevant chats.

|

10/23/2017 1:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/23/2017 1:23 PM

Why does it need to be one or the other? Keep the forums and the race threads, add live updating if you want, but there is no need to get rid of it and replace it with a chat room. That is probably one of the worst ideas I've ever read here next to someone asking for a thumbs up and thumbs down feature. If you want a chat room, make a chat room and just have it as an addition to everything else. Chat rooms are usually terrible in large numbers anyway. Lol @ 'intellectual conversation' in a chat room. You can't be serious grin

|

10/23/2017 1:39 PM

marx41 wrote:

Hey errbody. So I know the topic of a chat room comes up a lot for when races are live. I also saw mention of a “live updating forum” from one or two people. So my question is, out of the 3 options, what idea is your favorite? Chat room, live updating forum, or bench racing threads the way they are? Reasons? Thanks!

peelout wrote:

ASL

asking for a friend

LOL late 90's early 2000's internet user?

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

10/23/2017 1:53 PM

I'm the one that asked if it was possible to have a page that updates automatically as people post and I believe you said it was possible.

Question concerning that format. Will everything be kept on 1 single page or will pages accumulate once the page hits 30 posts like it currently does?

If everything stays on one single page I'd personally prefer that over the chat room feature simply because people could post the results, pictures, etc. as the information comes along.

Chat room is great as it keeps everything on one page and it's easier to scroll up and down if you happen to miss something as oppose to going back a couple pages and going back forward to where the current action is going on.


Unrelated but I'm still having issues when someone quotes my posts. For the past few months I have not been receiving any notifications even though it's turned on in my settings. I believe I receive PM's but that's it. Just wanted to mention it as I know I'm not the only one experiencing those issues.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

10/23/2017 2:38 PM

I like chat for the auto refresh and easy to keep up aspects. But I like a live updating forum thread so you can still quote certain posts or respond to questions asked earlier.

|

10/23/2017 2:43 PM

patrickadizzle wrote:

Why does it need to be one or the other? Keep the forums and the race threads, add live updating if you want, but there is no need to get rid of it and replace it with a chat room. That is probably one of the worst ideas I've ever read here next to someone asking for a thumbs up and thumbs down feature. If you want a chat room, make a chat room and just have it as an addition to everything else. Chat rooms are usually terrible in large numbers anyway. Lol @ 'intellectual conversation' in a chat room. You can't be serious grin

This isn't a question related to our forum, Marx works for Pulp.

|

10/23/2017 2:59 PM

ML512 wrote:

This isn't a question related to our forum, Marx works for Pulp.

Ah gotchya, my mistake.

|

10/23/2017 3:30 PM

Sounds a lot like 4chan bro

You trying to get the russians involved or something? Are you a Trump supporter or something?? Or a dumb poopy head raycist?? Or another one of those [insert buzzword here]???

Its unamerican Marxdawg!!

Maybe thats why your name is Marx, like KARL MARX!! THE FUCKING RUSSIANS AHHHHHH

|

10/23/2017 4:18 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I'm the one that asked if it was possible to have a page that updates automatically as people post and I believe you said it was possible.

Question concerning that format. Will everything be kept on 1 single page or will pages accumulate once the page hits 30 posts like it currently does?

If everything stays on one single page I'd personally prefer that over the chat room feature simply because people could post the results, pictures, etc. as the information comes along.

Chat room is great as it keeps everything on one page and it's easier to scroll up and down if you happen to miss something as oppose to going back a couple pages and going back forward to where the current action is going on.


Unrelated but I'm still having issues when someone quotes my posts. For the past few months I have not been receiving any notifications even though it's turned on in my settings. I believe I receive PM's but that's it. Just wanted to mention it as I know I'm not the only one experiencing those issues.

Yes it's possible.

Things like pictures, stats, etc would work far better in a thread that auto updated rather then a chat room though.

And yes, it would all be on a single page. When a new comment is posted it gets "pushed" automatically into the race day page rather then getting "pulled" in whenever you refresh.

It's done with AJAX ( client-side script that communicates to and from a server/database without the need for a postback or a complete page refresh.)

|

10/23/2017 4:51 PM

In the late 90s there was a moto chat room that a lot of the early web players were on, it was pretty damn amusing at times.

|

10/24/2017 1:28 PM

So Marx what new toy are we getting?

|

10/24/2017 1:55 PM

rmoto003 wrote:

Sounds a lot like 4chan bro

You trying to get the russians involved or something? Are you a Trump supporter or something?? Or a dumb poopy head raycist?? Or another one of those [insert buzzword here]???

Its unamerican Marxdawg!!

Maybe thats why your name is Marx, like KARL MARX!! THE FUCKING RUSSIANS AHHHHHH

Sounds like you're having a little too much fun on a Monday night, bro.

|

Might order a pizza, take a nap, doesn't really matter.

10/24/2017 1:57 PM

I created a Slack workspace for this exact purpose just now! Click the link to join. Anyone can join and create new Channels to discuss with. Only CHannels you want to see will show up so you won't get clogged up. I think this will be perfect for what everyone wants

MonsterEnergySX2018 Slack

|

10/24/2017 2:52 PM

I have always wanted a live race chat room here. I think it would be a great addition.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

10/24/2017 3:14 PM

We once had a tag board, if i recall, that was below the forum and it was so lame. I dont see the forum style changing anytime soon.

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

10/24/2017 3:16 PM

jeffro503 wrote:

I have always wanted a live race chat room here. I think it would be a great addition.

Then were do all the cool pictures and everything go? ever think of that?

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

10/24/2017 3:23 PM

jeffro503 wrote:

I have always wanted a live race chat room here. I think it would be a great addition.

ocscottie wrote:

Then were do all the cool pictures and everything go? ever think of that?

No I did not! Good point Scottie.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

10/24/2017 3:25 PM

ocscottie wrote:

We once had a tag board, if i recall, that was below the forum and it was so lame. I dont see the forum style changing anytime soon.

I remember having the AOL chat room with TFS and a bunch of people , it moved so fast I really did not like it and like OC said there were no photo's or results.

|

10/24/2017 3:47 PM

JRT812 wrote:

So Marx what new toy are we getting?

I’m working on something unrelated but the chat/forum for live event thing was relevant, so I thought this was the perfect place to ask. There are pros and cons to both for sure, so I’m considering building some type of hybrid where you get the best of both worlds.

|

10/24/2017 4:04 PM

All the people in the chatrooms are 99% dildos.

Chatrooms get bogged down with rubbish I find. Posting on a forum for some reason gives more of an opportunity to proofread the bullshit before putting it out to the world. Chat rooms not so much.

|

10/24/2017 5:47 PM

peelout wrote:

ASL

asking for a friend

45/gender fluid/some dungeon somewhere

|

10/24/2017 6:51 PM

I think a Redit styled Forum would be ideal. So You have one thread where you can reply to comments in their own and not just have it be posted to the end of the forum but right under the OP of the comments comment. Make it easier to discuss different parts of the race in the same thread.

|

10/24/2017 7:33 PM

marx41 wrote:

Hey errbody. So I know the topic of a chat room comes up a lot for when races are live. I also saw mention of a “live updating forum” from one or two people. So my question is, out of the 3 options, what idea is your favorite? Chat room, live updating forum, or bench racing threads the way they are? Reasons? Thanks!

Strike while the iron is hot. If you build it they will come.

|