Chasing Marty ......... for 34 years

OW38B
Fantasy
181st
Edited Date/Time 2/1/2014 1:27pm
I have had this poster hanging in the garage for the last 34 years. While I have had Bob Hannah and Marty Tripes sign things in the interim, I always forgot to bring the poster. Well last Saturday that ended at A2.

When I gave it to Hannah to sign he said "cool" and proceeded to give a first hand account of how/why it happened. You can read the whole story on his site. http://hannahracingproducts.com/news/changed_mind_2.html The jist of it was trying to chase Tripes down.

So I move down the line to the other legends and soon I'm in front of Marty Tripes, so I show him the poster and he proceeds to sign the poster. As he is signing he tells me he only saw this on the cover of Motocross Action Magazine after the race as he was in front of Bob and this all happened behind him.

Very cool of Bob Hannah and Marty Tripes.

A closer shot of Tripes autograph.

|
englishman
1/20/2014 4:11pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2014 4:12pm
Cool pic , was great to see all the old heroes there on Saturday.

I still have the MXA with that shot on the cover.
wreckitrandy
1/20/2014 4:15pm
That poster went from super cool to priceless pretty quick.
jmc2
Fantasy
1679th
1/20/2014 4:21pm
Very cool! That one photo says a lot of Bob's style, cool you were able to have him sign it.
jeffro503
1/20/2014 4:50pm
No kiddin'!! Very cool OW38B! Keep that sucker on your shop wall for another 34yrs.....only now .....stick it in a frame and watch your friends drool over it!

The Shop

JOHN CHOATE
1/20/2014 4:55pm
Wow, very cool poster and I'd definitely have it framed. Thanks for posting.
motomike137
1/20/2014 4:55pm
OW38B wrote:
I have had this poster hanging in the garage for the last 34 years. While I have had Bob Hannah and Marty Tripes sign things in...
I have had this poster hanging in the garage for the last 34 years. While I have had Bob Hannah and Marty Tripes sign things in the interim, I always forgot to bring the poster. Well last Saturday that ended at A2.

When I gave it to Hannah to sign he said "cool" and proceeded to give a first hand account of how/why it happened. You can read the whole story on his site. http://hannahracingproducts.com/news/changed_mind_2.html The jist of it was trying to chase Tripes down.

So I move down the line to the other legends and soon I'm in front of Marty Tripes, so I show him the poster and he proceeds to sign the poster. As he is signing he tells me he only saw this on the cover of Motocross Action Magazine after the race as he was in front of Bob and this all happened behind him.

Very cool of Bob Hannah and Marty Tripes.

A closer shot of Tripes autograph.

Awesome story! I am one of the hill people in that picCool
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
1/20/2014 4:56pm
Awesome! Wonder if the original slide is in RacerX's Dick Miller collection? That's one of the iconic MX shots. Very cool to get the sigs on it. Well done!
Old-Man
1/20/2014 5:06pm
Awesome story! I am one of the hill people in that picCool
So am I, if you send it to me I will sign it....Honest Tongue

Very cool story!
Big Lenny
1/20/2014 5:51pm
There's an old pic of Tripes I've been trying to find...He was crossed up on his CZ with his foot on the case because he had broken the footpeg...
Wandell
1/20/2014 7:12pm
That's awesome! One of the best pics in the history of motocross.
CR500AF
1/20/2014 7:19pm
Love Marty's comment about keeping your feet on the pegs.
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
1/21/2014 9:22am
jeffro503 wrote:
No kiddin'!! Very cool OW38B! Keep that sucker on your shop wall for another 34yrs.....only now .....stick it in a frame and watch your friends drool...
No kiddin'!! Very cool OW38B! Keep that sucker on your shop wall for another 34yrs.....only now .....stick it in a frame and watch your friends drool over it!
I have a nice floating frame that it has been in the last few years.

It was nice to see Feld/AMA with an homage to the past Champions. Cool
PN27416
1/21/2014 12:42pm
One of the best shots in all of MX
The Rock
1/21/2014 7:10pm
Big Lenny wrote:
There's an old pic of Tripes I've been trying to find...He was crossed up on his CZ with his foot on the case because he had...
There's an old pic of Tripes I've been trying to find...He was crossed up on his CZ with his foot on the case because he had broken the footpeg...
Not 100 percent on this but I think the shot in question was taken at a Winter AM series that ran in Florida.
wpark89
1/21/2014 7:38pm
I remember these posters…you could order them in MXA in the '80's. There were like 8 of them. This Hannah one was sold out…but I had the Mark Barnett one….and "Flyin' 465's…I believe there was one with Magoo on a Maico..and a few Off Road images…Dick Burleson "on the rocks"

It would be cool if they remade them.
Big Lenny
1/21/2014 9:41pm
Big Lenny wrote:
There's an old pic of Tripes I've been trying to find...He was crossed up on his CZ with his foot on the case because he had...
The Rock wrote:
Not 100 percent on this but I think the shot in question was taken at a Winter AM series that ran in Florida.
Can't remember where it was taken but it was cool as hell....
Vet57
1/22/2014 5:03am

Probably not the one you're looking for but cool shot anyway.....
Big Lenny
1/22/2014 7:17am
It was his left footpeg I believe he broke, but was still racing with his foot on the cases...Whilst "Crossed up"...
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
1/23/2014 10:16am
In Bob's words:

Bob Hannah - Changing My Mind

1979 250 USGP at Unadilla, NY

Changing my line…changing my mind…that’s what was going on in the picture.

Here’s what I remember about that moment back in 1979, at the 250 USGP at Unadilla, NY. We were on into the race, and I couldn’t catch Marty Tripes. He was probably 3-4 seconds ahead of me – and I couldn’t catch him. I was getting frustrated because in some sections I was faster, in others, he was faster. I could see that he was faster than me going through Gravity Cavity, so I slowed up enough to watch him.

I saw that he was using the far left side – when I’d been taking the far right side. So on the next lap, I moved over to the far left side. The only problem was, there was a hole at the top of Gravity Cavity on the left side that Tripes was pre-jumping – and I didn’t see it!

I whacked that hole with my rear wheel and started to endo over the front. Actually, I was going to jump off the bike because it was going to throw my ass off anyway. I had at least 6 seconds in the air for it to come back – and it did – it started coming back. I turned the throttle wide open to bring the nose back up and it started coming back, and I thought, “Hey…I can save this if I just hang the heck on!” Then, my foot caught on the seat and I just pulled myself back on.

THAT’S when the photo was taken…as I was pulling myself back onto the bike. I had changed my mind.

As the saying goes, I’d rather be lucky than good!

SouthwestMfg
1/23/2014 10:25am
Big Lenny wrote:

Different times indeed . . .
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
1/23/2014 10:30am
Cool, that's the one.
The Rock
1/31/2014 11:15pm Edited Date/Time 1/31/2014 11:16pm
OW38B wrote:
In Bob's words: [i]Bob Hannah - Changing My Mind 1979 250 USGP at Unadilla, NY Changing my line…changing my mind…that’s what was going on in the...
In Bob's words:

Bob Hannah - Changing My Mind

1979 250 USGP at Unadilla, NY

Changing my line…changing my mind…that’s what was going on in the picture.

Here’s what I remember about that moment back in 1979, at the 250 USGP at Unadilla, NY. We were on into the race, and I couldn’t catch Marty Tripes. He was probably 3-4 seconds ahead of me – and I couldn’t catch him. I was getting frustrated because in some sections I was faster, in others, he was faster. I could see that he was faster than me going through Gravity Cavity, so I slowed up enough to watch him.

I saw that he was using the far left side – when I’d been taking the far right side. So on the next lap, I moved over to the far left side. The only problem was, there was a hole at the top of Gravity Cavity on the left side that Tripes was pre-jumping – and I didn’t see it!

I whacked that hole with my rear wheel and started to endo over the front. Actually, I was going to jump off the bike because it was going to throw my ass off anyway. I had at least 6 seconds in the air for it to come back – and it did – it started coming back. I turned the throttle wide open to bring the nose back up and it started coming back, and I thought, “Hey…I can save this if I just hang the heck on!” Then, my foot caught on the seat and I just pulled myself back on.

THAT’S when the photo was taken…as I was pulling myself back onto the bike. I had changed my mind.

As the saying goes, I’d rather be lucky than good!

Thanks for sharing Jim. I had never head that back story. Very cool.

For you young pups one of the things Hannah was known for was NEVER shutting the gas off when he got out of shape. There was one race (Trans AM?) Bob got tossed off but ran along side the bike and jumped back on. For on the gas WFO riders I don't think any rider comes close to the Hurricane.
Big Lenny
2/1/2014 1:07am
The Rock wrote:
Thanks for sharing Jim. I had never head that back story. Very cool. For you young pups one of the things Hannah was known for was...

For you young pups one of the things Hannah was known for was NEVER shutting the gas off when he got out of shape. There was one race (Trans AM?) Bob got tossed off but ran along side the bike and jumped back on. For on the gas WFO riders I don't think any rider comes close to the Hurricane.
I saw him do that at a SX race once...
umagumadog
2/1/2014 5:38am
The Rock wrote:
Thanks for sharing Jim. I had never head that back story. Very cool. For you young pups one of the things Hannah was known for was...

Big Lenny wrote:
I saw him do that at a SX race once...
One thing about it Bob didn't have an ounce of quit in him. He never gave up.
2/1/2014 7:24am Edited Date/Time 2/1/2014 1:21pm
I was there in 1979 and standing pretty much where that picture of Hannah half off the bike was taken, I saw him do it and all these years, I thought that Hannah did that deliberately and was having fun styling over the jump. You could see Hannah push the bike away than pull it back under him very deliberately. He did not seem out of control. It was interesting to read what really happened. Hannah was looking good that day, but tripes was something else on his RC250. He already had a bit of a gut and was a big guy that made the RC250 look small. He could really manhandle that thing but a wonder that it could pull his weight so competitively. At that same race, I remember (I think during the parade lap) Tripes doing a real long stand up wheelie around the wide sweeping right-hand turn along the fence right after the start.

mike
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
2/1/2014 12:54pm
Cool story.

Tripes was one of a select few that could beat Hannah "straight up" in Bob's dominate years. 1977 to the end of 1979.
nc_mx_kid
2/1/2014 1:27pm
cool story, Marty Tripes stops in here at motoworld of el cajon often. He is on the mind from a broken foot but still hauls the mail on 100cc 4strokes that he builds and promotes a series.

Post a reply to: Chasing Marty ......... for 34 years

The Latest