Chasing Marty ......... for 34 years

Related:
Create New Tag

1/20/2014 4:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2014 9:44 AM

I have had this poster hanging in the garage for the last 34 years. While I have had Bob Hannah and Marty Tripes sign things in the interim, I always forgot to bring the poster. Well last Saturday that ended at A2.

When I gave it to Hannah to sign he said "cool" and proceeded to give a first hand account of how/why it happened. You can read the whole story on his site. http://hannahracingproducts.com/news/changed_mind_2.html The jist of it was trying to chase Tripes down.

So I move down the line to the other legends and soon I'm in front of Marty Tripes, so I show him the poster and he proceeds to sign the poster. As he is signing he tells me he only saw this on the cover of Motocross Action Magazine after the race as he was in front of Bob and this all happened behind him.

Very cool of Bob Hannah and Marty Tripes.

Photo

A closer shot of Tripes autograph.

Photo

|

"Welcome to Southern California......the mecca of motocross racing." ~ Jason Wiegant

1/20/2014 4:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/20/2014 4:12 PM

Cool pic , was great to see all the old heroes there on Saturday.

I still have the MXA with that shot on the cover.

|

I've been here 17 years , am I still English, man ???

1/20/2014 4:15 PM

That poster went from super cool to priceless pretty quick.

|

1/20/2014 4:21 PM

Very cool! That one photo says a lot of Bob's style, cool you were able to have him sign it.

|

1/20/2014 4:50 PM

wreckitrandy wrote:

No kiddin'!! Very cool OW38B! Keep that sucker on your shop wall for another 34yrs.....only now .....stick it in a frame and watch your friends drool over it!

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

1/20/2014 4:55 PM

Wow, very cool poster and I'd definitely have it framed. Thanks for posting.

|

1/20/2014 4:55 PM

Awesome story! I am one of the hill people in that piccool

|

1/20/2014 4:56 PM

Awesome! Wonder if the original slide is in RacerX's Dick Miller collection? That's one of the iconic MX shots. Very cool to get the sigs on it. Well done!

|

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

1/20/2014 5:06 PM

motomike137 wrote:

Awesome story! I am one of the hill people in that piccool

So am I, if you send it to me I will sign it....Honest tongue

Very cool story!

|

1/20/2014 5:51 PM

There's an old pic of Tripes I've been trying to find...He was crossed up on his CZ with his foot on the case because he had broken the footpeg...

|

Some of these posts are like reading closed caption on the cartoon channel...

Hello?..Vital?...

1/20/2014 7:12 PM

That's awesome! One of the best pics in the history of motocross.

|

1/20/2014 7:19 PM

Love Marty's comment about keeping your feet on the pegs.

|

1/21/2014 9:22 AM

wreckitrandy wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:

No kiddin'!! Very cool OW38B! Keep that sucker on your shop wall for another 34yrs.....only now .....stick it in a frame and watch your friends drool over it!

I have a nice floating frame that it has been in the last few years.

It was nice to see Feld/AMA with an homage to the past Champions. cool

|

"Welcome to Southern California......the mecca of motocross racing." ~ Jason Wiegant

1/21/2014 12:42 PM

One of the best shots in all of MX

|

1/21/2014 7:10 PM

Big Lenny wrote:

There's an old pic of Tripes I've been trying to find...He was crossed up on his CZ with his foot on the case because he had broken the footpeg...

Not 100 percent on this but I think the shot in question was taken at a Winter AM series that ran in Florida.

|

"My philosophy is to have a really good time and never to let anything stop me from doing what I want to do.

Michel Petrucciani

1/21/2014 7:38 PM

I remember these posters…you could order them in MXA in the '80's. There were like 8 of them. This Hannah one was sold out…but I had the Mark Barnett one….and "Flyin' 465's…I believe there was one with Magoo on a Maico..and a few Off Road images…Dick Burleson "on the rocks"

It would be cool if they remade them.

|

1/21/2014 9:41 PM

Big Lenny wrote:

The Rock wrote:

Not 100 percent on this but I think the shot in question was taken at a Winter AM series that ran in Florida.

Can't remember where it was taken but it was cool as hell....

|

Hello?..Vital?...

1/22/2014 5:03 AM

Photo

Probably not the one you're looking for but cool shot anyway.....
|

"A rule is a rule and without rules, there is Chaos"....Cosmo Kramer

1/22/2014 7:17 AM

It was his left footpeg I believe he broke, but was still racing with his foot on the cases...Whilst "Crossed up"...

|

Hello?..Vital?...

1/23/2014 10:16 AM

In Bob's words:

Bob Hannah - Changing My Mind

1979 250 USGP at Unadilla, NY

Changing my line…changing my mind…that’s what was going on in the picture.

Here’s what I remember about that moment back in 1979, at the 250 USGP at Unadilla, NY. We were on into the race, and I couldn’t catch Marty Tripes. He was probably 3-4 seconds ahead of me – and I couldn’t catch him. I was getting frustrated because in some sections I was faster, in others, he was faster. I could see that he was faster than me going through Gravity Cavity, so I slowed up enough to watch him.

I saw that he was using the far left side – when I’d been taking the far right side. So on the next lap, I moved over to the far left side. The only problem was, there was a hole at the top of Gravity Cavity on the left side that Tripes was pre-jumping – and I didn’t see it!

I whacked that hole with my rear wheel and started to endo over the front. Actually, I was going to jump off the bike because it was going to throw my ass off anyway. I had at least 6 seconds in the air for it to come back – and it did – it started coming back. I turned the throttle wide open to bring the nose back up and it started coming back, and I thought, “Hey…I can save this if I just hang the heck on!” Then, my foot caught on the seat and I just pulled myself back on.

THAT’S when the photo was taken…as I was pulling myself back onto the bike. I had changed my mind.

As the saying goes, I’d rather be lucky than good!

|

1/23/2014 10:25 AM

Big Lenny wrote:

Photo

Different times indeed . . .
|

Paul Swinney - Part time Euro-Cycles..... Ah, the good stuff

1/23/2014 10:30 AM

Cool, that's the one.

|

1/23/2014 10:40 AM

OW38B wrote:

Cool, that's the one.

That's the pic thanks...w00t

|

Hello?..Vital?...

1/31/2014 11:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/31/2014 11:16 PM

OW38B wrote:

In Bob's words:

Here’s what I remember about that moment back in 1979, at the 250 USGP at Unadilla, NY. We were on into the race, and I couldn’t catch Marty Tripes. He was probably 3-4 seconds ahead of me – and I couldn’t catch him. I was getting frustrated because in some sections I was faster, in others, he was faster. I could see that he was faster than me going through Gravity Cavity, so I slowed up enough to watch him.

I saw that he was using the far left side – when I’d been taking the far right side. So on the next lap, I moved over to the far left side. The only problem was, there was a hole at the top of Gravity Cavity on the left side that Tripes was pre-jumping – and I didn’t see it!

I whacked that hole with my rear wheel and started to endo over the front. Actually, I was going to jump off the bike because it was going to throw my ass off anyway. I had at least 6 seconds in the air for it to come back – and it did – it started coming back. I turned the throttle wide open to bring the nose back up and it started coming back, and I thought, “Hey…I can save this if I just hang the heck on!” Then, my foot caught on the seat and I just pulled myself back on.

THAT’S when the photo was taken…as I was pulling myself back onto the bike. I had changed my mind.

Thanks for sharing Jim. I had never head that back story. Very cool.

For you young pups one of the things Hannah was known for was NEVER shutting the gas off when he got out of shape. There was one race (Trans AM?) Bob got tossed off but ran along side the bike and jumped back on. For on the gas WFO riders I don't think any rider comes close to the Hurricane.

|

"My philosophy is to have a really good time and never to let anything stop me from doing what I want to do.

Michel Petrucciani

2/1/2014 1:07 AM

The Rock wrote:

For you young pups one of the things Hannah was known for was NEVER shutting the gas off when he got out of shape. There was one race (Trans AM?) Bob got tossed off but ran along side the bike and jumped back on. For on the gas WFO riders I don't think any rider comes close to the Hurricane.

I saw him do that at a SX race once...

|

Hello?..Vital?...

2/1/2014 5:38 AM

OW38B wrote:

In Bob's words:

The Rock wrote:

Big Lenny wrote:

I saw him do that at a SX race once...

One thing about it Bob didn't have an ounce of quit in him. He never gave up.

|

Those dudes on Vital take shit WAY too seriously. I think they think they are signed on to a "let's cure cancer" message board

2/1/2014 7:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/1/2014 1:21 PM

I was there in 1979 and standing pretty much where that picture of Hannah half off the bike was taken, I saw him do it and all these years, I thought that Hannah did that deliberately and was having fun styling over the jump. You could see Hannah push the bike away than pull it back under him very deliberately. He did not seem out of control. It was interesting to read what really happened. Hannah was looking good that day, but tripes was something else on his RC250. He already had a bit of a gut and was a big guy that made the RC250 look small. He could really manhandle that thing but a wonder that it could pull his weight so competitively. At that same race, I remember (I think during the parade lap) Tripes doing a real long stand up wheelie around the wide sweeping right-hand turn along the fence right after the start.

mike

|

2/1/2014 12:54 PM

Cool story.

Tripes was one of a select few that could beat Hannah "straight up" in Bob's dominate years. 1977 to the end of 1979.

|

2/1/2014 1:27 PM

cool story, Marty Tripes stops in here at motoworld of el cajon often. He is on the mind from a broken foot but still hauls the mail on 100cc 4strokes that he builds and promotes a series.

|

two wheels lifestyle
Kyle Pulley
selling powersports @TeamCharlotteMotorsports
3004 Freedom Dr. Charlotte NC 28208
Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, & Preowned Harley Davidson