Chase format discussion on Main Event Moto podcast

Premixed112
Edited Date/Time 2/13/2018 8:00pm
I'd like to see what everyone says about this. If you haven't heard it, check out the last 20 minutes of Main Event Moto where Daniel Blair gives his best pitch for the chase. He had a good idea for it that I hadn't heard before where the top 7 before the points reset would go to the "playoffs". Meaning the races before the points reset WOULD be for something. Guys would be fighting to stay in that top 7 and there could even be a reward to the top guy for his consistency.

I gotta say it's swung me indefinitely in favor of it. I was halfway sold on it before, but it just makes sense now. How much of a bummer is it that we know Anderson will likely (barring a disaster) get this title, SIX ROUNDS IN? What about that makes you look forward to Vegas?? He said it right: supercross is a 17 chapter story and every story should have an exciting ending. Not a predictable one.
|
Motofinne
2/11/2018 11:38pm Edited Date/Time 2/11/2018 11:44pm
A chase format would kill SX. A plastic way of making the series seem tight and exciting while it would remove some of the most important parts of racing.

I don't care about the points and who wins the title as long as the racing is good. Will a chase format make the racing better? Absolutely not, the risk is that it makes it way, way worse when riders can back it down because they know they don't need to pass the guy in front of them because it wont change anything. It would basically make some of the actual main events like heat races, you think that is a good idea?

In a way i would actually like to see one season of the chase, just so that people in favor of it would see how stupid it would be. At the same time i might be proven wrong, but i doubt it.
aees
2/12/2018 12:50am
Another way could be to have less points given out first 5-10 races. Or more points from today so a win in Vegas could give you 50 and second place 40 etc

The Shop

ATKpilot99
2/12/2018 4:34am
The overreaction to a good points lead 6 rounds in is funny . This is not Ryan Dungey we're talking about here . Anderson could dnf Barcia could win and we have a new series . I'm not hoping for that but it could happen . Why try to manufacture a closer points race ? A chase in any form sucks imo.
downard254
2/12/2018 4:40am
A title race during a series “may” be boring to some, but it will never overshadow a good race in itself. Personally, to me, this has been one of the most exciting seasons I can remember. Even with Anderson having a good points lead.
mattmatt300
2/12/2018 4:50am
The best part of his rant was where he started to say if it was up to him he'd implement the chase format right now then he stopped to say "well no I wouldn't want to screw Anderson over." That sentence is all the reason I need not to want a chase format.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
2/12/2018 6:34am
I am strongly against it. As I said on Twitter in response to him, a regular season/playoff structure is used in stick and ball sports because they can’t all play each other at once. They have a regular season to determine the top teams, those teams play each other in playoffs to determine the 2 best and then they play to determine the champion.

In racing, everyone races each other at the same time so that regular season/playoff structure is unnecessary. A chase format would be like saying the first 4 games of the NBA championship only count for bonus points in game 5.

Hearing people on social media say our sport needs a playoff structure is ridiculous. Alternatively, think about it this way, we already have the structure to some degree each weekend.
Daytime qualifying = regular season
Qualifying races = playoffs
Main event = final
early
Fantasy
2231st
2/12/2018 6:36am
The best part about this season is that even though Anderson has a huge points lead and is riding great there area bunch of guys that are hungry just toget wins. Seely, Barcia, Musquin, Tomac, Webb, Peick these guys are not laying down (yet) because each of them have something to prove. There is far from a defeatist attitude that we saw at times when Mcgrath, Stewart, RV and RD were dominating. Add to that the triple crown races can spice things up. I would rather see a variation i race format tham a chase just to keep each individual race more interesting while keeping the championship consistent.
TDeath21
2/12/2018 7:31am
That would be just as terrible. Why even have the other riders on the track then?

Imagine if Webb, who isn’t in the chase, cleans out Roczen, who is in the chase, in a chase round? Nothing dumber than having a “playoff” where the non playoff riders are competing alongside the playoff riders.
ATKpilot99
2/12/2018 7:36am
Haven't Nascar ratings been in decline despite their several different convoluted chase/playoff formats ?
jbomx363
2/12/2018 7:36am
Enough of this sheet already.

What do they think it's REALLY going to do? TV is already at an all time high.

Quit trying to fix something that's not broken.
Motofinne
2/12/2018 7:41am
TDeath21 wrote:
That would be just as terrible. Why even have the other riders on the track then? Imagine if Webb, who isn’t in the chase, cleans out...
That would be just as terrible. Why even have the other riders on the track then?

Imagine if Webb, who isn’t in the chase, cleans out Roczen, who is in the chase, in a chase round? Nothing dumber than having a “playoff” where the non playoff riders are competing alongside the playoff riders.
Exactly, that is a part of it that i forgot to mention.

It would be a complete disaster if that scenario would become a reality one day.
Premixed112
2/12/2018 7:50am
TDeath21 wrote:
That would be just as terrible. Why even have the other riders on the track then? Imagine if Webb, who isn’t in the chase, cleans out...

That is one flaw I haven’t thought of a solution to. But I’m sure there would be some incentive for Webb to be out there.
JPT
2/12/2018 7:51am
Can't think of anything worse for the sport than some hokey chase. If you're going to have a 17 race season, have a 17 race season.

I've been trying to watch Arenacross more lately and while there's some interesting racing their convoluted, pseudo championship thing makes in impossible for me to really get into it.
Premixed112
2/12/2018 7:52am
jbomx363 wrote:
Enough of this sheet already. What do they think it's REALLY going to do? TV is already at an all time high. Quit trying to fix...

Yeah, an all time high of about 380,000. Do you know how small that is compared to other sports? I want SX getting the credit it deserves. In a perfect world, I want people at work on Monday talking about Saturday night’s race the way they talk about a football or basketball game.
Motofinne
2/12/2018 8:13am
jbomx363 wrote:
Enough of this sheet already. What do they think it's REALLY going to do? TV is already at an all time high. Quit trying to fix...

Yeah, an all time high of about 380,000. Do you know how small that is compared to other sports? I want SX getting the credit it...
Yeah, an all time high of about 380,000. Do you know how small that is compared to other sports? I want SX getting the credit it deserves. In a perfect world, I want people at work on Monday talking about Saturday night’s race the way they talk about a football or basketball game.
MotoGP is growing more than any other motorsport in the world and they don't need to play around with the race format or points. They have figured out a perfect set of regulations and the racing the by far the best of any motorsport out there. That is why they are able to get 100 000 people in the stands at multiple races + millions of TV viewers around the world.

Make the racing on the track exciting = more eyeballs.

A chase wont make the racing better.
ATKpilot99
2/12/2018 8:17am
jbomx363 wrote:

Yeah, an all time high of about 380,000. Do you know how small that is compared to other sports? I want SX getting the credit it...
I doubt a chase accomplishes that plus you alienate much of the existing fan base. Last season
was a great championship battle but it didn't get SX on Sportscenter . I come from a family of sports fans , they think MX/SX is boring .
early
Fantasy
2231st
2/12/2018 8:19am
Motofinne wrote:
MotoGP is growing more than any other motorsport in the world and they don't need to play around with the race format or points. They have...
MotoGP is growing more than any other motorsport in the world and they don't need to play around with the race format or points. They have figured out a perfect set of regulations and the racing the by far the best of any motorsport out there. That is why they are able to get 100 000 people in the stands at multiple races + millions of TV viewers around the world.

While you are correct about motogp, regulations dont have as much of an effect on 450 SX like it did the past couple years in motogp. Track construction is maybe the one variable Feld has control over to make good racing.
jbomx363
2/12/2018 8:29am
And do you know how low the participation in SX/MX is ? I would guess it's at an all time LOW.

So.. not too shabby.

The rest of your perfect world scenario is nothing but a pipe dream. And a chase format will certainly not do it and run the chance of alienating some.
DonM
2/12/2018 9:04am
The fact that people are talking about the need for a chase 6 races into a 17 race season tells you everything that is wrong with this world..."it's not happening the way I want it to we have to change the rules"!!! For fucks sake!! You can't be serious!!!

What I don't understand is how some in the industry want it and the majority of the fan's don't....to change just for the sake of change is just plain stupid.

Please somebody explain to me how this is going to make the racing better...please.

And something to think about.....what if these six races were the chase? So much for tightening up the points race huh!

Just let em race and enjoy how it unfolds...
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
2/12/2018 9:08am
Motofinne wrote:
A chase format would kill SX. A plastic way of making the series seem tight and exciting while it would remove some of the most important...
A chase format would kill SX. A plastic way of making the series seem tight and exciting while it would remove some of the most important parts of racing.

I don't care about the points and who wins the title as long as the racing is good. Will a chase format make the racing better? Absolutely not, the risk is that it makes it way, way worse when riders can back it down because they know they don't need to pass the guy in front of them because it wont change anything. It would basically make some of the actual main events like heat races, you think that is a good idea?

In a way i would actually like to see one season of the chase, just so that people in favor of it would see how stupid it would be. At the same time i might be proven wrong, but i doubt it.
This is how I feel as well.

What is the point of even changing a series to something other than the # rounds? The only thing I see is to make it so people with no attention span have something new/short term to pay attention to.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
2/12/2018 9:13am
In football and basketball, all the teams can't play each other at one time making a playoff system necessary.

It's just totally different to racing.

The NASCAR playoff system is absurd. If you want to have a true playoff, park everyone but the drivers actually in the playoffs!
Motofinne
2/12/2018 9:26am
Motofinne wrote:
MotoGP is growing more than any other motorsport in the world and they don't need to play around with the race format or points. They have...

early wrote:
While you are correct about motogp, regulations dont have as much of an effect on 450 SX like it did the past couple years in motogp...
While you are correct about motogp, regulations dont have as much of an effect on 450 SX like it did the past couple years in motogp. Track construction is maybe the one variable Feld has control over to make good racing.
Yeah it's difficult or almost impossible to make MX or SX racing closer through regulations. I know that the GPs might introduce spec electronics, there has been talk of that for years. It would be a good step in the right direction and it would make it cheaper for the teams.

Like you say, the easiest way to make racing better is the track designs and the dirt. I guess smaller displacement would also be a step in the right direction but that is not a realistic thing to ask for. The current 250 class could be limited to 200 cc bikes and the 450 class to 350 cc bikes.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
2/12/2018 9:30am
It will get implemented sooner than later. Any format change that will improve the racing is a no brainer. It is the only way this sport can survive as the old school start to fade out....and I’m as old school as it gets. 45 years if SX attendance and I’m never one to fight change when it’s for the better. Blair is the smartest guy on the broadcast and it’s obvious to him what needs to be done
Asimo
2/12/2018 9:47am
Chase ruins it for someone who's had their shit together all year, and has a few bad races at the end.
Racers aren't entitled for participation points resets.

Imagine an in shape JS7 coming in, or Dungey, races last races and wins title even if say they started 25 points out.

NASCAR is steel wheels, school bus steering wheel having, heavy, crappy turning, slow, crap.
Why would we want to dumb ourselves down?
Asimo
2/12/2018 9:55am
Oh, I'm sure Tomac wants it right now. Webb too. Maybe Roczen now. Anderson's probably thinking....if you idiots stayed off the ground and stop weeding yourselves, I wouldn't be in in position to win this thing.

Blair says it would make better racing. Hmmmm aren't these guys supposed to go balls out each and every time?

If not, maybe they should be bonus only and make them hungry.
Ebs
2/12/2018 10:07am
I think they should race 20 laps, then they all line up for another gate drop and race another two laps for the win.

Sounds ridiculous, and all I did was change the scale.

Post a reply to: Chase format discussion on Main Event Moto podcast

The Latest