Chase format coming 2017!

tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
10/20/2016 7:55pm
The Rock wrote:
Your last paragraph couldn't be more wrong. Talk to someone with knowledge of building race motors and get back with us please to let us know...
Your last paragraph couldn't be more wrong.

Talk to someone with knowledge of building race motors and get back with us please to let us know if you are standing by your comment.
I stand by it. The fact is factory 450's are not tuned to max hp/torque. They are tuned to the track and rider preferences. The factory 250T were built for max power back in the day. This was something unobtainable to the average privateer or even a satellite team.

What's the difference? Every modern stock 450 engine has enough power for 99% of all SX obstacles during the season. This wasn't the case during the 250T days.

All you have to do is go to a SX now and watch the B and C groups in practice perform the same combinations in rythym lanes as the factory guys. That comes down to skill and strong enough motors to clear the obstacles.

Four strokes have created some parity in a sport that has historically been dominated by 1-3 riders year after year. We have had 6 different winners in the last 2 years of supercross. There was a time we didn't have 6 in a decade. I have a feeling we will add a couple more this year as well.

The Rock
10/21/2016 4:28am
The Rock wrote:
Your last paragraph couldn't be more wrong. Talk to someone with knowledge of building race motors and get back with us please to let us know...
Your last paragraph couldn't be more wrong.

Talk to someone with knowledge of building race motors and get back with us please to let us know if you are standing by your comment.
tcannon521 wrote:
I stand by it. The fact is factory 450's are not tuned to max hp/torque. They are tuned to the track and rider preferences. The factory...
I stand by it. The fact is factory 450's are not tuned to max hp/torque. They are tuned to the track and rider preferences. The factory 250T were built for max power back in the day. This was something unobtainable to the average privateer or even a satellite team.

What's the difference? Every modern stock 450 engine has enough power for 99% of all SX obstacles during the season. This wasn't the case during the 250T days.

All you have to do is go to a SX now and watch the B and C groups in practice perform the same combinations in rythym lanes as the factory guys. That comes down to skill and strong enough motors to clear the obstacles.

Four strokes have created some parity in a sport that has historically been dominated by 1-3 riders year after year. We have had 6 different winners in the last 2 years of supercross. There was a time we didn't have 6 in a decade. I have a feeling we will add a couple more this year as well.

Here's what you are standing by:

If anything fourstrokes made the racing more level once the exemption rules for the manufacturers expired.

The fact of the mattter is full race 250 four stroke motors are vastly superior/more costly to what privateers run. IMHO the gap between the haves and the have nots has gotten way wider with four strokes so this is why I disagree with your comment things are more level with four strokes.

Additionally talk to any race team owner that went through the two stroke to four stroke transition about costs.

tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
10/21/2016 9:22pm
The Rock wrote:
Here's what you are standing by: [i]If anything fourstrokes made the racing more level once the exemption rules for the manufacturers expired.[/i] The fact of the...
Here's what you are standing by:

If anything fourstrokes made the racing more level once the exemption rules for the manufacturers expired.

The fact of the mattter is full race 250 four stroke motors are vastly superior/more costly to what privateers run. IMHO the gap between the haves and the have nots has gotten way wider with four strokes so this is why I disagree with your comment things are more level with four strokes.

Additionally talk to any race team owner that went through the two stroke to four stroke transition about costs.

All of my statements were in reference to the 250T/450F class.

The gap may be a little farther apart in the 250F class but I remember seeing privateer 125's in the "B" group of practices that couldn't jump the triples in SX yet every factory 125 was having no problem with them. I was at Atlanta in either 96, 97 or 98 and they sent half the riders trying to qualify home on Friday because the finish line jump was too big for most to clear. It was a huge gap with very little track between the corner and it. It was of course some lack of skill but mostly it was you didn't have the power to get over it. I have no doubt you could lazily cruise through the corner and clear it with ease on the most clapped out privateer 250F in the pits.

I don't know if I agree fully with my statement when it comes to the lites class but in the 250T/450 class I think the bikes have gotten faster than the stadiums they race in and the result is more parity.

Cost wise I don't doubt it went up at first. The same can be said when a manufacturer makes a huge overhaul to a bike from one year to the next. Sure the 4 stroke required teams buy new tools, more parts, modification equipment and probably some new technicians. That initial investment was a huge expense no doubt but long term it wouldn't surprise me if the cost doesn't end up being very similar once you factor in the natural price increases from one year to the next.

The Shop

Post a reply to: Chase format coming 2017!

The Latest