Chase Sexton

afk66
6/22/2020 8:00am
I feel like in these shoot outs, especially with the East and West Championships being in the mix on the last race riders feel like it's anyone's race?

Chase when he's riding well takes a bit more risks and if you think about it with James being a riding coach now does he triple that because of that influence? I think it's save to say we all know James would triple that! Risky certainly, and most likely not necessary to get into the main. But it leads to some opinion / question.

If it's an option to triple to the inside or outside, double to the same I'd try it as you may need to do it in the main to make a difference in position if the race is close or on the line... And if you've done it two - three times in the heat race you have the confidence to do it in the main?

From Colts point of view two things for me. Obvious in the slow motion / still frames he looks over. So he could be thinking if I get over and commit it'll slow Chase down / won't triple. Another outlook would be did he do it to mess up his confidence if he does triple maybe he doesn't hit me but is it a close enough call that it does mess him up going into the main in that particular section of the track?

Outside looking in, I feel like some "Race craft" was involved in how it all played out. Nobody wants to get hurt, but I think a lot of riders are okay riding on that edge for whatever reason. And with this being the last race of the Supercross season maybe it was worth the risk. In the end paid off for one, and not the other.

I don't want to see anyone get hurt at any level - so well wishes and a speedy recovery to all that unfortunately got hurt this year! And congrats to those that were named Champions Sunday.
chadder44
6/23/2020 3:53am
Forgive me if I missed it, but I haven't seen anyone reference the lap before the incident. Sexton took the exact same line, but he was too far back to make the pass. Nichols TRIPLE-TRIPLED to the outside and railed the berm to avoid getting black passed. I've seen people on here and even Matthes and JT say that Nichols wasn't triple-tripling, but in fact he did the lap before. The final lap, Sexton was much closer. I'm guessing he assumed he would pull the same move only this time finish the block pass before the big triple. Nichols jumped to the inside much sooner than the normal line of people taking the inside, on top of completely changing his line from the previous lap. I still think it was too ballsy for a championship night on Sextons part, but I can certainly see the logic as to why he tried it. I don't think Nichols was trying to take anyone out either, but him jumping to the right that early in the section was also stupid in hindsight.
TeamGreen
6/23/2020 11:30am
Big E wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/06/23/433948/s1200_Yoshimura_CycleNews_06_23_20_ChaseSexton_SX_Champ_2048.jpg[/img]

Winning!

The Shop

Big E
6/23/2020 11:53am
Big E wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/06/23/433948/s1200_Yoshimura_CycleNews_06_23_20_ChaseSexton_SX_Champ_2048.jpg[/img]

TeamGreen wrote:
Winning!
'nuff said.
Awcc
6/23/2020 7:56pm
I like this kid's riding style a lot, see him contending in the 450 class.
6/23/2020 10:10pm
Awcc wrote:
Yeah I agree. I didn,t know he was that fast and buttery smooth. I thought the west riders had him covered. Chase was next level in Utah. I think he grew up racing stuff like the mega cross series in IL. Under the lights. A very competive series, Tim Ferry had his boy there last yr, from Florida.
wardy
6/23/2020 11:24pm
Awcc wrote:
Yeah I agree. I didn,t know he was that fast and buttery smooth. I thought the west riders had him covered. Chase was next level in...
Yeah I agree. I didn,t know he was that fast and buttery smooth. I thought the west riders had him covered. Chase was next level in Utah. I think he grew up racing stuff like the mega cross series in IL. Under the lights. A very competive series, Tim Ferry had his boy there last yr, from Florida.
He did grow up racing here in town (Megacross) and Sunset as well as all the stuff around here. The key to what he did even as a kid was never would shy away from competition. He would seek it out. Riding the many different types of racing, including woods which many don't know he has done gncc stuff as a kid too. He won those races too.

I bet no one knows or paid attention to this but he never has had to run a LCQ to make a main. For pretty much one of the youngest to where he is today, it says a ton about his consistency and his talent.

Post a reply to: Chase Sexton

The Latest