Chase Borders Survives Another Scare

TomB1551
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 5:06am
Chase went in for a fairly routine surgery Friday in Atlanta to open up one of his arms – which was supposed to pave the way for him to regain a lot of the use of his arms. Instead he spent most of the weekend in a near comatose state after having what appears to have been a severe allergic reaction to pain medication early Saturday morning.

After getting an oral pain medication at about 4am Saturday, Chase became unresponsive and started displaying stroke-like symptoms. When asked his name he would say “Jonathan Chase Borders.” When asked his birth date he would say “Jonathan Chase Borders.” Pretty much he wasn’t talking much at all and didn’t respond to most questions.

X-rays of his lungs didn’t look good to the Piedmont Hospital medical staff – they suspected pneumonia. At one point his blood pressure dropped to 65 over 35. He also developed a rash and his white blood cell count started going up and his oxygen sats went down slightly. They were also checking for a blood clot in his lungs.

It was familiar ground for Johnny. No sleep for days, frustrated and scared to death that he was going to lose Chase. About 30 minutes ago we were getting ready to load up and head to Atlanta when Johnny called. We had talked at mid-night last night and earlier this morning. It didn’t look good. Chase was still largely unresponsive and they were getting ready to do a CT-scan of his brain – thinking that he may have had a stroke.

Then I got a call from Johnny. When I answered the phone he was choked up – almost crying. He said I’m talking to the doctor, then his voice broke up and he said “here”. I thought maybe he was going to put the Dr. on the phone. Instead I heard a weak, but very familiar voice say “Tom, the doctor said I’m going to be OK.” I can’t tell you how good it was to hear his voice.

Molly Hatchet (for the older crowd) had a song called “Beatin’ the Odds”. Maybe that needs to be Chase’s theme song. This kid’s ability to survive is unlike anything I have ever seen.

They are going to continue doing some tests – as he has some kind of infection and is getting heavy doses of the strongest antibiotics - but what looked like a tragedy two hours ago has suddenly taken a huge turn in the right direction.

For those who have followed Chase, this is pretty standard stuff. For any mere mortal, it would have been lights out a long time ago.

Chase – you scared the crap out of us – yet again. Glad you’re doing better man!
Chase is in bed 8 on the 5th floor Immediate Care Unit of Piedmont Hospital in Atlanta. Barring any other complications, he will get to go home tomorrow to start rehabbing his newly opened arm.

If you would to send good wishes his way, go to www.chaseborders910.com and click on the “Contact Us” link to send him an e-mail. Please keep Chase and Johnny in your thoughts are prayers.

Regards,

Tom B.
|
Crash82
Fantasy
2036th
3/14/2010 8:26am Edited Date/Time 3/14/2010 8:29am
I agree Tom, Chase is one strong man, the whole family is, glad he's okay.
mxer993
3/14/2010 8:32am
Glad to hear that Chase is going to be okay.

Post a reply to: Chase Borders Survives Another Scare

The Latest