Change tube with every tire change?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/13/2021 4:19 PM

Changing my rear tire and found the tube to be a little worn but no hole. Is it common to change the tube with each new tire or is the old tube fine to use? Thx.

|

6/13/2021 4:37 PM

I do.Not worth the $15

|

6/13/2021 4:52 PM

I don’t. All I do is Wipe the tube down. Sometimes there is rubber from the inside of the tire carcass. You can rub that off easily. Use baby powder liberally when reinstalling. Make sure the rim is clean and the rim strip is still good. That’s it.

Hammer 663s

|

6/13/2021 4:55 PM

I do it’s cheap insurance it’s only $15

|

6/13/2021 5:38 PM

If I get the tube out without putting a hole in it, you bet your ass I’m using it again.

|

6/13/2021 5:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2021 5:46 PM

No way. I get a year or 2 out of a tube no problem! My last bike still had the OE Dunlop tube in it when I sold it!

|

6/13/2021 5:56 PM

I'd always reuse unless it's damaged.

|

6/13/2021 6:02 PM

Munson'd wrote:

If I get the tube out without putting a hole in it, you bet your ass I’m using it again.

This 100%.

|

6/13/2021 6:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2021 6:39 PM

Ake89 wrote:

I do.Not worth the $15

Try spending a little more than $15 and get a quality tube and you won’t have to waste so much money.

I have a bike that has Michellin Ultra Heavy duty tubes that have over 200 hours on them. Thats probably 20+ sets of tires at least.

|

6/13/2021 6:49 PM

I re-run mine for 2-3 tires, then replace.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

6/13/2021 6:54 PM

Ake89 wrote:

I do.Not worth the $15

LungButter wrote:

Try spending a little more than $15 and get a quality tube and you won’t have to waste so much money.

I have a bike that has ...more

I like running the ultras but it’s a little more challenging to change the tire. I do motocross and can’t tell any weight difference as some have suggested before.

|

6/13/2021 6:56 PM

LouisianaMotocross wrote:

I like running the ultras but it’s a little more challenging to change the tire. I do motocross and can’t tell any weight ...more

They are very hard to pinch though which is nice.

I’ve found that Michelin & Bridgestone are substantially easier to deal with than the cheaper UHD available. The quality rubber seems more pliable to me.

|

6/13/2021 7:14 PM

Hammer 663s wrote:

I don’t. All I do is Wipe the tube down. Sometimes there is rubber from the inside of the tire carcass. You can rub that off ...more

The bonus is that the tube is lighter when you shake all that rubber out of the tire.

|

6/13/2021 9:59 PM

I changed front and rear tires every week. Stock tubes last forever. I had spare tubes I never used them. I bought a heavy duty tube once, never again. They make it harder to change a tire. I tried baby powder once, I had it all over and it stinks. I used a gallon of Napa tire conditioner, until one night it got wild in the box van. I poured it on 2 chics, real neat slick stuff. Switched to wd40, just spray the whole tube and bead. I can change 2 tires in 5 minutes, On a 125 of course. Get the tires in the sun and warm them up, it’s so easy then.

|

6/14/2021 12:32 AM

When I changed the original tire on my 1971 Honda CT70, I re used the original nitto tube. What?!?

|

2 Stroke, Drum Brakes, Finned Cylinders!!!

6/14/2021 2:58 AM

I change tyres to suit the track I'm riding in the weekend, I never change the tube unless I pinch it

|

6/14/2021 4:56 AM

I leave mine out...less unsprung weight.

|

"A rule is a rule and without rules, there is Chaos"....Cosmo Kramer

6/14/2021 4:59 AM

Only when I pinch them...

|

6/14/2021 6:12 AM

Great topic, here's my experience over the last 10 years or so...

...so I went through a period of time where I was getting a lot of rear pinch flats, and I finally realized it wasn't my riding, it was the cheap Malcolm Smith and STi heavy duty tubes that I was buying from my local shop. I asked a friend who's son was racing supercross at the time and he said they prefer Dunlop or Bridgestone heavy duty tubes. The Dunlop HD tubes were hard to get, but the Bridgestone HD tubes were readily available. The difference in the quality and feel between the two tubes was incredible. The STi tubes felt like hard plastic and the Bridgestone tubes felt like actual soft pliable rubber and they were twice as thick! Eventually I found that IRC heavy duty tubes are nearly as good as Bridgestone HD tubes and are a lot more affordable. I've used the same IRC tubes for 4 or 5 tire changes without issue, but they aren't $15 tubes, they're more like $25 or $30, so it hurts a little more to swap them each time, and honestly, that would probably be a waste in my opinion.
|

Do It In The Dirt!

6/14/2021 6:49 AM

Zeke27G wrote:

...so I went through a period of time where I was getting ...more

I agree about the STI vs Bridgestone HD tubes. I had an STI tube split at one of the seams in the middle of a hare scramble following a race on rocky terrain the week before. When you feel the Bridgestone tube vs the STI its pretty eye opening. Bridgestone tubes are made in Japan too so thats a plus.

|

6/14/2021 7:31 AM

After reading all the air fork threads, I've realized that air is unreliable so now I fit all my tires with springs instead of tubes

|

6/14/2021 10:09 AM

MX915 wrote:

I agree about the STI vs Bridgestone HD tubes. I had an STI tube split at one of the seams in the middle of a hare scramble ...more

Yep, there is a big difference in how the rubber feels on a Bridgestone or Michellin (never tried Dunlop HD) compared to the other HD tubes. You can just tell they are better, it makes them easier to deal with than the cheap ones too.

|

6/14/2021 10:19 AM

caviar&cigarettes338 wrote:

I do it’s cheap insurance it’s only $15

im with this guy

|

2022 KX250

6/14/2021 11:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/14/2021 11:56 AM

motoGleamer wrote:

Changing my rear tire and found the tube to be a little worn but no hole. Is it common to change the tube with each new tire ...more

No. As others mentioned, with a cleaned up tube and inside the tire (and I also use plenty of Armor All sprayed on the tube and inside the tire during installation), I go 4 new sets of tires before a tube change. Check out the base of the valve stems on the tube because a lot of the time, that is where they go first.

|

6/14/2021 11:59 AM

I put in a heavy duty tube then leave it in the next time.

|

6/14/2021 12:06 PM

Seems like cheap insurance.

|

6/14/2021 1:38 PM

Zeke27G wrote:

...so I went through a period of time where I was getting ...more
MX915 wrote:

I agree about the STI vs Bridgestone HD tubes. I had an STI tube split at one of the seams in the middle of a hare scramble ...more

LungButter wrote:

Yep, there is a big difference in how the rubber feels on a Bridgestone or Michellin (never tried Dunlop HD) compared to the ...more

Harley Davidson tubes? I guess if they can hold up those heavy bikes they can handle a couple tire changes. sarcasm

|

6/14/2021 1:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/14/2021 2:12 PM

Hayle no. This sport is expensive. I save where I can. If I was racing at a national, ir even regional level, then maybe...or if I was going on long trail rides and might end up hrs away from the truck. Other than that, run it till it dies bro

|

6/14/2021 5:35 PM

I have some tubes with several patches. Still good!

|

6/14/2021 9:02 PM

ctbale wrote:

When I changed the original tire on my 1971 Honda CT70, I re used the original nitto tube. What?!?

Yeah right on, I had the same bike. Heal toe shifter, 4 speed with a clutch. I think everyone knows, to toss the rubber strip. And use 1 or 2 wraps of duct tape on the inside of the rims front and rear.

|