Chances of going pro

Related:
Create New Tag

7/15/2015 3:25 PM

I can tell you my perspective from personally failing to become a paid pro. It was in another sport, but that doesn't matter because the principles are the same regardless of the discipline.
If all it took was hard work, dedication, and time, there would be countless numbers of pros. That's the easy part. Millions have that. I also put trust in coaches who had no real merit.
If I could do it all over again I would have found coaches that produced professionals and followed their program. Period.
Have a plan B like becoming a rockstar or president of the USA.
Do your PEDS now to get a head start while you can get away with it.

|

7/15/2015 3:43 PM

Get yourself one of these to make all of your important life decisions......it's much better than asking a bunch of yahoo's on a message board. All of my important life decisions for the past 20 years have been based on what the magic 8 ball said and my life turned out great.......I married my hottest sister, I'm the owner and operator of a silk worm farm, I haven't paid taxes in 16 years and I live in a tree house made out of graham crackers.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

7/15/2015 3:46 PM

Focus on doing well in school.
After that focus on showing your parents appreciation for the opporitunity to ride and race.
After that focus on riding alot, practicing good technique and having fun.
After that focus on winning races in your local class.
After that focus on winning races in the next local class.
After that think about expanding the envelope of races you participate in. (Traveling and spending more money to race bigger races) If you do this focus on not just wasting the extra money it takes to do these races.
After that evaluate what is the best for you. By this time you should be looking at colleges. Decide your path.
After that continue to ride and have fun doing it no matter what your choice.

Its a long road to be a pro, focus on the journey not the destination.

|

7/15/2015 3:49 PM

KMC440 wrote:

Todd is that you? Dude you're like 34 by now ... Arva isn't dist ref anymore ... he doesn't have any pull with Pickerington ...

Oh ..... what ?....

never mind ...

Go big kid.

laughing laughing laughing laughing
|

7/15/2015 3:49 PM

junkyard dog...................



|

If I'm healthy enough to complain. I shouldn't be complaining.

7/15/2015 5:28 PM

mxer512 wrote:

so you want to go pro? do you still want to be pro when your 17 and all your friends are going to partys and having fun? Do you still want to be pro when your GF goes to college and you are moving to california to be closer to the industry? you still wanna be pro when you and your parents put every cent they have into you making it to LL'sonly to DNF at regionals. listen bud going pro maybe a dream but it takes huge sacrafices in your life just to try and make it. you may make it ...but it come at a cost ...the cost is your fun loving childhood. my advice have fun, moto it up, when you really start smoking people in your class.....then ask the question. if all you think about now is going pro you put way too much pressurte on yourself. just go out and be a kid and have fun.

MotoMan12345 wrote:

+1

Pretty much spot on! Just ride have fun obviously at your age and your experience its not going to be easy, but it really depends on what your definition of going pro is. If by going pro you mean obtaining a pro license and maybe one day qualify for a national than by all means you have 10-15 more years to do that. If you mean making a living out of it.. Uhh guna be a long tough road but literally nothing is impossible a lot of great riders never made it or made it big time till their early 20's when your suppose to be on the downslope of your career so.

#1 thing I will tell you from personal experience with all this. Do not ever listen to anyone or you already failed at your goal. If you think you have a chance even a 1% chance go for it until your mind tells you that you don't have it, and you'll know when its time to say that was a dream or not.

Good luck buddy

|

7/15/2015 5:32 PM

logan_140 wrote:

Gonna take a lot of money.. That money could be for college which would be a smarter route..

Very, very good advice logan.

|

7/15/2015 5:53 PM

moco wrote:

I can tell you my perspective from personally failing to become a paid pro. It was in another sport, but that doesn't matter because the principles are the same regardless of the discipline.
If all it took was hard work, dedication, and time, there would be countless numbers of pros. That's the easy part. Millions have that. I also put trust in coaches who had no real merit.
If I could do it all over again I would have found coaches that produced professionals and followed their program. Period.
Have a plan B like becoming a rockstar or president of the USA.
Do your PEDS now to get a head start while you can get away with it.

laughing laughing laughing This post wins.
|

7/15/2015 6:03 PM

Are you looking for a income generating career or something to spend your parents money on? Don't ever plan on making money to live on from this sport. Its what you spend your surplus money on. Race because you love it and enjoy the physical and mental benefits it provides.

|



MR. X wrote:

That one dog keeps winning ,I'm so bored watching the finals ,somebody , somewhere ,owes me something . They need to change the format ,that way the dog I want to win will have a chance against the much faster dogs.

7/15/2015 9:35 PM

logan_140 wrote:

Gonna take a lot of money.. That money could be for college which would be a smarter route..

VET176 wrote:

Very, very good advice logan.

First I want to apologize in advance for the long post and the rant, with that being said I am also not being disrespectful but just giving my 2 cents. My old man was very hard on me growing up about school and this and that. But here is the thing. Whether you are 18 years old or 50 years old you can ALWAYS go to college your not always single, without kids, without a mortgage and young. I hate people always throwing school at people. My father makes 6 figures a year and he's miserable. Money and school do not make your life great. What is wrong with a 18-24 year old kid getting a part time job or full time racing the pro ams possibly obtaining their goal of receiving a pro card, as long as they know they are not going to get rich, ride a year trying to qualify for nationals then go to college. Thats what is wrong today in the world the older generation just wants everyone to go to school and think thats what is going to make their life. I am 25 washed up rider with over 25 broken bones 14 surgeries and I graduate to be a Network Engineer in 5 months. I would not trade anything in the world for those years from 18-23 chasing that pro dream, unfortunately for me it was injury after injury after injury, but those times being broke living on ramon noodles just to go to the track with all my friends are and were the best times of my life. Now I am about to graduate grow up and have a normal life. Guess what when I am 50 I don't have to look back at my life and say DAMN I wish I would of tried while I was young cause I did try and now I can look back and say that was a blast and share those memories with my kids when I have kids.

Again I am not being disrespectful school is the way to make a good living 75-80% of the time, but there is no reason to not have fun while your young and can do it. Life is not measured by how long you live its measured by how you lived in the years you lived. I would rather say I had a fun happy life doing the things I wanted to do for myself without being rich, than hanging up my riding boots at 18 jumping into college than buying a house and basically saying well thats that now I get to live the normal 9-5 job WHOO freaking WHOOO.

Carry on..

|

7/15/2015 9:44 PM

No chance the evolution of pro sports is if you aren't already being noticed at 6-7 years old than your chances are already dwindling. But starting at 15 your ship has sailed sorry focus on education and a career making real money. I see a lot of kids at the track that still think they are gonna make it and the harsh reality is they aren't. And they are wasting time that they could be in college, joining the military, or learning a trade.

|

7/15/2015 9:52 PM

Joel Smets didn't start racing until he was 17. He won multiple World 500 championships.

Nothing is impossible. Good luck.

|

7/15/2015 9:56 PM

Aw yes I forgot to mention injuries and how I'm laying in bed right now with a broken back from over jumping a triple about a month ago so yeah it can be rough and it's something to consider luckily I can walk but there was a local guy pro level locally he was training to try for our local super cross and crashed and now he's in a wheel chair sad story I tried not to give to much information out of respect for him

|

7/15/2015 10:21 PM

One of the surest ways to hate a hobby that you love is to try and make a career out of it.

Even if you pour all the resources you can muster into this, every ounce of your being, the odds are firmly against you. The odds are against anyone.

Enjoy the sport, be safe and try your best. If someone comes along and thinks your talents are so superior, and wants to pay you to race, by all means take them up on it.

|

7/16/2015 12:29 AM

The keys to Motocross and what sets most kids back with talent is fear, fear is the worst thing in this sport I suffer from it if I could pay for a procedure to be done to eliminate my fear I'd be a far far better rider.

|

7/16/2015 1:45 AM

early wrote:

Focus on doing well in school.
After that focus on showing your parents appreciation for the opporitunity to ride and race.
After that focus on riding alot, practicing good technique and having fun.
After that focus on winning races in your local class.
After that focus on winning races in the next local class.
After that think about expanding the envelope of races you participate in. (Traveling and spending more money to race bigger races) If you do this focus on not just wasting the extra money it takes to do these races.
After that evaluate what is the best for you. By this time you should be looking at colleges. Decide your path.
After that continue to ride and have fun doing it no matter what your choice.

Its a long road to be a pro, focus on the journey not the destination.

^^ This.

Most importantly focus on this one suggestion, After that focus on showing your parents appreciation for the opporitunity to ride and race. Be grateful for everything your parents do for you, show them love back, because they love you and only want what's best for you. Your parents won't be around forever, so cherish all the memories while they're being made.

|

"I'm just Realville here, don't give me the bullshit."-Bob "hurricane" Hannah

7/16/2015 5:40 AM

Just ride and have fun. If you become the best in your area and start winning everything locally then try some bigger events to see how you rank.

|

7/16/2015 6:50 AM

Dont listen to these sour pusses, follow your dreams, but be realistic about it because not every kid makes it.

|

7/16/2015 7:12 AM

mxer512 wrote:

so you want to go pro? do you still want to be pro when your 17 and all your friends are going to partys and having fun? Do you still want to be pro when your GF goes to college and you are moving to california to be closer to the industry? you still wanna be pro when you and your parents put every cent they have into you making it to LL'sonly to DNF at regionals. listen bud going pro maybe a dream but it takes huge sacrafices in your life just to try and make it. you may make it ...but it come at a cost ...the cost is your fun loving childhood. my advice have fun, moto it up, when you really start smoking people in your class.....then ask the question. if all you think about now is going pro you put way too much pressurte on yourself. just go out and be a kid and have fun.

i would of worded it like....." so you wanna go pro and travel all over our country plus other countries when your friends are still in the same time getting drunk at parties only to wake up the next day feeling like shit" ..." you wanna go pro and meet TONS of girls when your first real gf who you wont end up with anyway goes to college"

|

7/16/2015 7:21 AM

Never ask someone else what YOU are capable of.............


P

|

The Josie Wales of Vitalmx

7/16/2015 8:08 AM

When did McGrath start racing dirt bikes? I thought he actually started later like 13. He did do BMX before that so I guess that helps.

|

7/16/2015 8:27 AM

Follow the good advice in this thread and race as much as your able, against the best competition for your skill level. If you get to the point when you are finishing top 3 in 250B, in the NESC series, then you can revisit your question. It's great to have goals but keep them in perspective, and talk to other young pros at the track about what has helped them get to where they are. Good luck.

|

7/16/2015 10:19 AM

logan_140 wrote:

Gonna take a lot of money.. That money could be for college which would be a smarter route..

VET176 wrote:

Very, very good advice logan.

mxj621 wrote:

First I want to apologize in advance for the long post and the rant, with that being said I am also not being disrespectful but just giving my 2 cents. My old man was very hard on me growing up about school and this and that. But here is the thing. Whether you are 18 years old or 50 years old you can ALWAYS go to college your not always single, without kids, without a mortgage and young. I hate people always throwing school at people. My father makes 6 figures a year and he's miserable. Money and school do not make your life great. What is wrong with a 18-24 year old kid getting a part time job or full time racing the pro ams possibly obtaining their goal of receiving a pro card, as long as they know they are not going to get rich, ride a year trying to qualify for nationals then go to college. Thats what is wrong today in the world the older generation just wants everyone to go to school and think thats what is going to make their life. I am 25 washed up rider with over 25 broken bones 14 surgeries and I graduate to be a Network Engineer in 5 months. I would not trade anything in the world for those years from 18-23 chasing that pro dream, unfortunately for me it was injury after injury after injury, but those times being broke living on ramon noodles just to go to the track with all my friends are and were the best times of my life. Now I am about to graduate grow up and have a normal life. Guess what when I am 50 I don't have to look back at my life and say DAMN I wish I would of tried while I was young cause I did try and now I can look back and say that was a blast and share those memories with my kids when I have kids.

Again I am not being disrespectful school is the way to make a good living 75-80% of the time, but there is no reason to not have fun while your young and can do it. Life is not measured by how long you live its measured by how you lived in the years you lived. I would rather say I had a fun happy life doing the things I wanted to do for myself without being rich, than hanging up my riding boots at 18 jumping into college than buying a house and basically saying well thats that now I get to live the normal 9-5 job WHOO freaking WHOOO.

Carry on..

mxj21, no apologies needed... I think you provide a unique perspective some people, including myself, may not have considered at your age.

|

7/16/2015 11:40 AM

smoothies862 wrote:

junkyard dog...................



That who came to mind when I thought about it. Could be the reason he is still showing up at races well past his prime.
Looking at other kinds of two wheel motorsport, Josh Hayes started pretty late, and bloomed late also, but has been notching Wins/Championships for the last 5 years or so in AMA Superbike (is it even called that anymore? I'm not sure)

|

7/16/2015 12:28 PM

No.

But the good news is that in this country you could put the same dedication and effort into real estate, a business degree, and many other things, and become a millionaire quite easily.

Choose wisely.

|

2013 KTM 250SX on Ohlins, 314cc built stroker engine with 56 very smooth and easy to ride rwhp.

7/16/2015 12:37 PM

Chance of going pro =0
Working hard and having goals will be good for you and will help you with whatever comes next. Go for it.

|

7/16/2015 12:55 PM

Riding in your field with your buddies wont cut it. You must ride with faster riders and ride alot.

|

7/16/2015 2:34 PM

mxj621 wrote:

First I want to apologize in advance for the long post and the rant, with that being said I am also not being disrespectful but just giving my 2 cents. My old man was very hard on me growing up about school and this and that. But here is the thing. Whether you are 18 years old or 50 years old you can ALWAYS go to college your not always single, without kids, without a mortgage and young. I hate people always throwing school at people. My father makes 6 figures a year and he's miserable. Money and school do not make your life great. What is wrong with a 18-24 year old kid getting a part time job or full time racing the pro ams possibly obtaining their goal of receiving a pro card, as long as they know they are not going to get rich, ride a year trying to qualify for nationals then go to college. Thats what is wrong today in the world the older generation just wants everyone to go to school and think thats what is going to make their life. I am 25 washed up rider with over 25 broken bones 14 surgeries and I graduate to be a Network Engineer in 5 months. I would not trade anything in the world for those years from 18-23 chasing that pro dream, unfortunately for me it was injury after injury after injury, but those times being broke living on ramon noodles just to go to the track with all my friends are and were the best times of my life. Now I am about to graduate grow up and have a normal life. Guess what when I am 50 I don't have to look back at my life and say DAMN I wish I would of tried while I was young cause I did try and now I can look back and say that was a blast and share those memories with my kids when I have kids.

Again I am not being disrespectful school is the way to make a good living 75-80% of the time, but there is no reason to not have fun while your young and can do it. Life is not measured by how long you live its measured by how you lived in the years you lived. I would rather say I had a fun happy life doing the things I wanted to do for myself without being rich, than hanging up my riding boots at 18 jumping into college than buying a house and basically saying well thats that now I get to live the normal 9-5 job WHOO freaking WHOOO.

Carry on..

+1,000,000
Especially the last paragraph. Best post of this thread. "Life is not measure by how long you live its measured by how you lived in the years you lived" I don't know if you got that off google or from the heart, but that is spot on to many aspects of life, not just mx. Do what you can while you can because you never know if you're going to be around in years to come. Great post mxj621

|

7/16/2015 3:06 PM

VET176 wrote:

Very, very good advice logan.

mxj621 wrote:

First I want to apologize in advance for the long post and the rant, with that being said I am also not being disrespectful but just giving my 2 cents. My old man was very hard on me growing up about school and this and that. But here is the thing. Whether you are 18 years old or 50 years old you can ALWAYS go to college your not always single, without kids, without a mortgage and young. I hate people always throwing school at people. My father makes 6 figures a year and he's miserable. Money and school do not make your life great. What is wrong with a 18-24 year old kid getting a part time job or full time racing the pro ams possibly obtaining their goal of receiving a pro card, as long as they know they are not going to get rich, ride a year trying to qualify for nationals then go to college. Thats what is wrong today in the world the older generation just wants everyone to go to school and think thats what is going to make their life. I am 25 washed up rider with over 25 broken bones 14 surgeries and I graduate to be a Network Engineer in 5 months. I would not trade anything in the world for those years from 18-23 chasing that pro dream, unfortunately for me it was injury after injury after injury, but those times being broke living on ramon noodles just to go to the track with all my friends are and were the best times of my life. Now I am about to graduate grow up and have a normal life. Guess what when I am 50 I don't have to look back at my life and say DAMN I wish I would of tried while I was young cause I did try and now I can look back and say that was a blast and share those memories with my kids when I have kids.

Again I am not being disrespectful school is the way to make a good living 75-80% of the time, but there is no reason to not have fun while your young and can do it. Life is not measured by how long you live its measured by how you lived in the years you lived. I would rather say I had a fun happy life doing the things I wanted to do for myself without being rich, than hanging up my riding boots at 18 jumping into college than buying a house and basically saying well thats that now I get to live the normal 9-5 job WHOO freaking WHOOO.

Carry on..

andrewlewis182 wrote:

+1,000,000
Especially the last paragraph. Best post of this thread. "Life is not measure by how long you live its measured by how you lived in the years you lived" I don't know if you got that off google or from the heart, but that is spot on to many aspects of life, not just mx. Do what you can while you can because you never know if you're going to be around in years to come. Great post mxj621

I appreciate the kind words sir. In a tough spot in life haven't walked in a year had 7 surgeries last one last Tuesday and just broke up with my fiance as well so my grandma came over and sat down for a talk and when she said that, man that hit home pretty hard so thought I would share gotta give her credit I just relayed the message! Haha but appreciate it man!

|

7/16/2015 5:09 PM

I wish you the best 621.

|