Chances an Amateur Rider Wins A Pro National

Related:
Create New Tag

8/6/2019 4:22 AM

with the new rule this year, do you guys think any of the guys that are amateur riders racing a pro race have a chance at winning a moto or even the overall? I’m not sure which amateur riders will be racing this weekend? (Mumford, Lawrence)?

Any Chance?

View Results

|

8/6/2019 4:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/6/2019 4:38 AM

Marcus Beasley wrote:

with the new rule this year, do you guys think any of the guys that are amateur riders racing a pro race have a chance at winning a moto or even the overall? I’m not sure which amateur riders will be racing this weekend? (Mumford, Lawrence)?

No "stranger things have happened" choice? All those are absolutes.

|

8/6/2019 4:55 AM

Tomac did it. I see big things from jett Lawrence, reminds me of a young villopoto throwing the bike around.

|

Never give up on Anyone

8/6/2019 5:47 AM

travis-grant wrote:

Tomac did it. I see big things from jett Lawrence, reminds me of a young villopoto throwing the bike around.

We all thought the same of AC. Never know until they do it

|

8/6/2019 6:34 AM

travis-grant wrote:

Tomac did it. I see big things from jett Lawrence, reminds me of a young villopoto throwing the bike around.

RV was on another level.

Little Lawrence will be 8th-15th.

I think you guys are underestimating the level of competition in the 250 class.

Guys like RJ Hampshire are barely finishing inside the top 10....

|

8/6/2019 6:45 AM

The way the championship is coming down Dylan and AC both need to be on their best, and I don’t think anyone has the speed to match them if they keep up that Washougal run..

|

8/6/2019 6:50 AM

I don't see it... Can someone get a great start and run near the front for a bit? Sure. Then the pressure of it all will be like dropping an anchor on them.

|

'75-'83 through the minicycle boom.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was fast... But being fast is relative to who else is on the track with you.

ZachO fan! ZO16

TG243 fan!

8/6/2019 12:02 PM

Pretty high. Might win a championship too.

|

8/6/2019 12:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/6/2019 12:06 PM

Sorry but nobody is coming from LL and beating AC/Ferrandis/Cooper/Sexton.

I’ll gladly eat crow but I just don’t see it happening. Better chance of Hunter getting the OA

|

8/6/2019 12:13 PM

Possible, but not this year with this crop of pros/amateurs. Someday, though.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

8/6/2019 3:26 PM

I agree with most of you about it being unlikely. I just thought it would be very interesting to see an amateur rider use the new rule to do a pro race, win the pro race, and then drop back down to amateur races next year

|

8/6/2019 3:29 PM

Tomac won his first ever pro race only person to do it I believe

But I echo what everyone else says, different level altogether. Hunter and Covington were pegged to destroy the US competition, those people are quiet now it seems

|

If talk is cheap, silence must be expensive because nobody can afford it!

8/6/2019 7:04 PM

GoonRider93 wrote:

Tomac won his first ever pro race only person to do it I believe

But I echo what everyone else says, different level altogether. Hunter and Covington were pegged to destroy the US competition, those people are quiet now it seems

I don't remember anyone saying they would destroy in the US... But to be fair Hunter has won two races in his first year coming over from GPs. Thats more than Ken, Dylan and Marv put together in their first season (I could be wrong ha). so who knows what hunter can do in the future judging how quickly he has made it happen.

As for the AMs coming in I don't think any of them are expecting to win but I wouldn't be surprised to see Jett or Joe in the top 10-3

|

8/6/2019 10:02 PM

travis-grant wrote:

Tomac did it. I see big things from jett Lawrence, reminds me of a young villopoto throwing the bike around.

shaffstall721 wrote:

RV was on another level.

Little Lawrence will be 8th-15th.

I think you guys are underestimating the level of competition in the 250 class.

Guys like RJ Hampshire are barely finishing inside the top 10....

Hampshire has multiple podium finishes...

|

8/6/2019 10:44 PM

|

8/6/2019 11:57 PM

GoonRider93 wrote:

Tomac won his first ever pro race only person to do it I believe

But I echo what everyone else says, different level altogether. Hunter and Covington were pegged to destroy the US competition, those people are quiet now it seems

JamesHyde128 wrote:

I don't remember anyone saying they would destroy in the US... But to be fair Hunter has won two races in his first year coming over from GPs. Thats more than Ken, Dylan and Marv put together in their first season (I could be wrong ha). so who knows what hunter can do in the future judging how quickly he has made it happen.

As for the AMs coming in I don't think any of them are expecting to win but I wouldn't be surprised to see Jett or Joe in the top 10-3

I can't remember saying Lawrence would destroy the competition, but I thought he would have had a solid year, pfft I was wrong.

|

8/7/2019 1:39 AM

Alot of people wont know this but Jett Lawrence will
only be on his amsoil bike not a factory geico bike. Those amsoil bikes are really close to stock. They run production suspension, stock clamps etc. If jett could get a top 10 on that bike thats huge. Shimoda will be fully factory so i think he will do better

|

8/7/2019 4:44 AM

GoonRider93 wrote:

Tomac won his first ever pro race only person to do it I believe

But I echo what everyone else says, different level altogether. Hunter and Covington were pegged to destroy the US competition, those people are quiet now it seems

JamesHyde128 wrote:

I don't remember anyone saying they would destroy in the US... But to be fair Hunter has won two races in his first year coming over from GPs. Thats more than Ken, Dylan and Marv put together in their first season (I could be wrong ha). so who knows what hunter can do in the future judging how quickly he has made it happen.

As for the AMs coming in I don't think any of them are expecting to win but I wouldn't be surprised to see Jett or Joe in the top 10-3

inthebadboycorner wrote:

I can't remember saying Lawrence would destroy the competition, but I thought he would have had a solid year, pfft I was wrong.

I think he had a pretty solid year year up until his injury (that was a bike malfunction). Not sure what you expect from him? He wasnt setting the GPs on fire and never had an overall win the seasons he raced there.

|

8/7/2019 5:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/7/2019 5:23 AM

In don't get the Hunter Lawrence hype. His first AMA MX full season basically mirrors what his GP days looked like: few flashes of brilliance, few podiums, rides not up to par and ultimately an injury. When we was on Suzuki it was the slowest/oldest platform on the paddock, then moved to that private Honda team and the bike was holding him back. Now, what it is? he is on a full factory bike.

End of rant.

|

8/7/2019 9:19 AM

GoonRider93 wrote:

Tomac won his first ever pro race only person to do it I believe

But I echo what everyone else says, different level altogether. Hunter and Covington were pegged to destroy the US competition, those people are quiet now it seems

Winning an overall would make them ineligible to be an amateur, they would score over 40 points.

|

8/7/2019 9:23 AM

FerCzD wrote:

In don't get the Hunter Lawrence hype. His first AMA MX full season basically mirrors what his GP days looked like: few flashes of brilliance, few podiums, rides not up to par and ultimately an injury. When we was on Suzuki it was the slowest/oldest platform on the paddock, then moved to that private Honda team and the bike was holding him back. Now, what it is? he is on a full factory bike.

End of rant.

He's got the speed to win races which is more than you can say about most of the guys out there.

|

8/7/2019 9:28 AM

How did RC get on in his first National after Loretta Lynn's?

I seem to remember Wyndham had a good first one riding the (number 514??) KX125.

|

8/7/2019 9:32 AM

Thisusernameisavailable wrote:

How did RC get on in his first National after Loretta Lynn's?

I seem to remember Wyndham had a good first one riding the (number 514??) KX125.

510, I was mistaken.

|

8/7/2019 9:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/7/2019 9:36 AM

Thisusernameisavailable wrote:

How did RC get on in his first National after Loretta Lynn's?

I seem to remember Wyndham had a good first one riding the (number 514??) KX125.

RC finished 8th at Steel City '96 if I remember correctly. He won his next National at Gatorback in '97, though. Glad I was there to see it.

|

8/7/2019 9:58 AM

Pierce Brown finished 10th in 2nd Moto at WW. This class was stacked but don’t see any of them winning a moto this year.

|

8/7/2019 2:27 PM

Thisusernameisavailable wrote:

How did RC get on in his first National after Loretta Lynn's?

I seem to remember Wyndham had a good first one riding the (number 514??) KX125.

Thisusernameisavailable wrote:

510, I was mistaken.

Windam's first pro race after Loretta's he finished 17th OA. The results don't break down by moto going back that far but there was a race during that season (1994) where he lead the majority of a moto only to be passed in the last few laps by I believe Doug Henry. The RacerX vault doesn't credit Windham with an outdoor overall win until 1996.

RC didn't light the world on fire after Loretta's either. He finished 8th in his pro debut at Steel City after finishing up at Loretta's.

You guys also need to consider Tomac was the beginning of a new breed of "amateur". A guy who skipped his last year of Loretta's and made his pro debut at the first round at Hangtown. He had been testing and practicing outdoors the entire time everyone else was racing SX. That's a completely different deal than someone coming out of Loretta's and racing guys who have been grinding out most of a series.

|

8/7/2019 3:04 PM

I believe it has happened a few times over the years, it's really rare and hard.. Especially with the current top guys in the 250 class. But heck, i'ma root for J. Lawrence if he races Unadilla to do it ...... Long shot though!

|

8/7/2019 4:44 PM

FerCzD wrote:

In don't get the Hunter Lawrence hype. His first AMA MX full season basically mirrors what his GP days looked like: few flashes of brilliance, few podiums, rides not up to par and ultimately an injury. When we was on Suzuki it was the slowest/oldest platform on the paddock, then moved to that private Honda team and the bike was holding him back. Now, what it is? he is on a full factory bike.

End of rant.

Its because hes still young,fast and from the land down under.Plus his open and honest attitude/personality...

The story behind his family and what they have going on behind the scenes as well as there story of packing up everything and travelling the globe chasing the dream. How can you not like an Aussie battler?

|

8/7/2019 7:14 PM

Wouldn't you like to know, WeatherBoy.

|

8/7/2019 7:31 PM

JB479 wrote:

Alot of people wont know this but Jett Lawrence will
only be on his amsoil bike not a factory geico bike. Those amsoil bikes are really close to stock. They run production suspension, stock clamps etc. If jett could get a top 10 on that bike thats huge. Shimoda will be fully factory so i think he will do better

I hope he does good on it to shut people up thinking there kids are only doing shitty because they don't have factory equipment. Either you have it or ya don't.

|